Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 31 Guests

Taking the knee

This thread currently has 22,959 views. Print
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
September 21, 2020, 6:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from arryarryarry

Only a complete nincompoop would come up with that comparison.

Remembrance Day is to remember those who gave their lives for freedom in many wars. Poppies are sold to raise money to support the Armed Forces Community.

And to top it all it's once a year not before every frigging football match.

I think it’s quite a fair comparison. Personally I think remembrance is hugely important and I greatly appreciate the work of  those that volunteer at the British Legion. For me it’s about remembering those who suffered in wars, I often think about those who signed up to fight in WW1, the lives lost and the lives of those who came home but were irreparably damaged.
Remembering those that went to fight against the nazis, they signed up to fight the ultimate evil and thankfully prevailed. It’s also important to remember the civilian cost in all wars. It’s also important for me to remember those involved in recent just and unjust conflicts that have been killed, injured or so poorly looked after on their return to this country.  

I see wars as generally unjust or unfair as it those that haven’t caused the wars who suffer above all.

So for me it’s an easy comparison to make to racism and standing up to it. It’s important to remember that lives are lost and damaged by racism both now and throughout History. Marking that with a peaceful protest is about remembering the issue and awareness for change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 221
jock dock tower
September 21, 2020, 7:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from arryarryarry

Only a complete nincompoop would come up with that comparison.

Remembrance Day is to remember those who gave their lives for freedom in many wars. Poppies are sold to raise money to support the Armed Forces Community.

And to top it all it's once a year not before every frigging football match.

So you don't think that governments who negate their responsibilities to the armed service men and women - the folk they readily term as heroes - and leave it to charity isn't political? The amount of ex service men and women suffering terrible PTSD is a scandal. The amount of rough sleeping ex service personnel is a scandal. The amount of ex service personnel in jail is a scandal. But let's buy a poppy and wave a flag instead, eh?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 221
arryarryarry
September 21, 2020, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jock dock tower

So you don't think that governments who negate their responsibilities to the armed service men and women - the folk they readily term as heroes - and leave it to charity isn't political? The amount of ex service men and women suffering terrible PTSD is a scandal. The amount of rough sleeping ex service personnel is a scandal. The amount of ex service personnel in jail is a scandal. But let's buy a poppy and wave a flag instead, eh?

Oh for felicitations sake.

Where did I mention anything about it being either political or non political.

You could say underfunding the NHS is political, underfunding the fight against Islamic extremists who go on to kill innocent people is political just about any thing could be deemed political, the point I was making  is that footballers aren't going down on one knee before every game to prove that point.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 221
Humbercod
September 21, 2020, 9:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Les Ferdinand has got this bang on the money it’s no different to the clapping for NHS, nothing more than a token gesture by the vast majority of players, it’s time to drop it now and move on for the good of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 221
RichMariner
September 21, 2020, 9:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from arryarryarry

Remembrance Day is to remember those who gave their lives for freedom in many wars.

True. People fought (and died) for their freedom.

And that's what the BLM campaign is all about; for black people it's to live a life free of prejudice; to be released from centuries of being treated differently, and to achieve equality.

Freedom is to be 'liberated from the power of another'.

Black people are dying at the hands of white power. Even if they're not dying, they don't have equality. Just look at how many black footballers report racist remarks made by fans at football matches. Racism is alive; it's still happening.

So for as long as racism exists, accept there will be protests.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 94 - 221
ska face
September 21, 2020, 10:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,549
Gold Stars: 838
Quoted from arryarryarry

Oh for felicitations sake.

Where did I mention anything about it being either political or non political.

That’s what was being discussed when you chimed in. Do keep up...
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 221
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 21, 2020, 10:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RichMariner

True. People fought (and died) for their freedom.

And that's what the BLM campaign is all about; for black people it's to live a life free of prejudice; to be released from centuries of being treated differently, and to achieve equality.

Freedom is to be 'liberated from the power of another'.

Black people are dying at the hands of white power. Even if they're not dying, they don't have equality. Just look at how many black footballers report racist remarks made by fans at football matches. Racism is alive; it's still happening.

So for as long as racism exists, accept there will be protests.

If this was the sole aim of BLM then I doubt very much if there would be very much opposition. We all like to think of having equality in society. BLM in the U.K. has gone to great lengths to distance itself from BLM USA, which is a very good thing. The problem is that BLM UK still stands for so much more than simple anti-racism. It has admitted links with extremist and undemocratic groups and its website contains statements about being born white automatically making you a racist. By all means let’s demonstrate against racism but let’s not be so naive as to think this is all that BLM is about.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 221
KingstonMariner
September 21, 2020, 11:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Spot on. Unfortunately there are many people on this forum who fall into the category of denying they are racist, when everything they type would suggest the total opposite.

This reminded me of many Fishy posters when I saw it.
https://newsthump.com/2020/08/.....rossing-the-channel/

Hah hah! I like the comment about the Venn diagram.

You can probably chuck in climate change deniers and Holocaust deniers in the same too.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 221
KingstonMariner
September 21, 2020, 11:52pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Interesting that les Ferdinand has come out today and said : o

‘that it was good PR but it’s message has now Been lost and is about as much use as a hashtag or a pin badge ‘

‘Taking the knee has now been diluted, much in the same way that the clap for carers ran its natural course’

The statement he makes is spot on in my opinion. It’s not that people don’t care about it, it’s lost any impact it had. For me, the likes of Lewis Hamilton have over played it meaning the good work that’s been done by the likes of Marcus rashford Is now not as effective. And if Marcus Rashford doesn’t get sports personality of the year or recognised in the New Years honours, something is amiss

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s.....essage-has-been-lost

That’s just giving racists another fig leaf to hide behind. Take the members of this board (I’m sure other platforms also have their share too) saying they will turn their backs if Town players take the knee. That’s not the action of someone who cares about the issue. It’s the action of an angry racist.

If you’re concerned about racism but don’t think taking the knee is helpful, you sure as hell wouldn’t be turning your back. You’d shrug your shoulders maybe. But you wouldn’t be foaming at the mouth in social media about it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 221
KingstonMariner
September 22, 2020, 12:02am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from male private Nale

How simplistic your views are, oh there is plenty of racism in the world, having lived in moss side and stratford and witnessed it first hand, black people are not the only victims but who wants to hear about any differing views other than the media driven BLM.

Some things really are that simple.

Nobody is saying that only white people are racist. The simple fact is though that non-white people are disproportionately victims of racism in this country. If the country was run by black people, and most of the wealth was held by black people, and most police were black, and if white people had the same experience as black people do in the real world, we’d be chanting White Lives Matter. But it isn’t, so ‘BLM’.

This has nothing to do with the ‘media driven BLM’ (Whatever that means). It’s down to real life observations. If you say that there is racial equality in this country you’re either a lier or you’ve been living in cloud cuckoo land.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 221
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.