Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Chrisblor and 14 Guests

Taking the knee

This thread currently has 22,914 views. Print
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
September 22, 2020, 12:07am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

If this was the sole aim of BLM then I doubt very much if there would be very much opposition. We all like to think of having equality in society. BLM in the U.K. has gone to great lengths to distance itself from BLM USA, which is a very good thing. The problem is that BLM UK still stands for so much more than simple anti-racism. It has admitted links with extremist and undemocratic groups and its website contains statements about being born white automatically making you a racist. By all means let’s demonstrate against racism but let’s not be so naive as to think this is all that BLM is about.

Hold on a minute. Just suppose all that is true about some organisation called ‘BLM’, what has that got to do with footballers announcing their opposition to racism by ‘taking the knee’.

Does this mean they are all part of SPECTRE or SMERSH or whatever global evildoers collective, and are committed to the overthrow of Queen and Country, and Paddington Bear and all else that is good and wholesome?

I must have missed the smallprint about this! Am I now a Bond villain’s minion and bound to die in a grey boiler suit in some hollowed out volcano?

Joking aside, are you seriously saying that you would be anti-racist if it wasn’t for the fact that some anti-racists hold other views that you don’t agree with?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 221
KingstonMariner
September 22, 2020, 12:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’ve just discovered that some extreme left wingers (Marxist-Leninists I believe they’re called) are in favour of free healthcare and education for everyone!

Better disband the NHS and close down state schools. The evil bas.tards!! We don’t want to be supporting any of that nonsense do we!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 221
GYinScuntland
September 22, 2020, 1:05am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,235
Gold Stars: 97
I self identify as a black homosexual and I think this is all balderdash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 221
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 22, 2020, 2:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,789
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I’ve just discovered that some extreme left wingers (Marxist-Leninists I believe they’re called) are in favour of free healthcare and education for everyone!

Better disband the NHS and close down state schools. The evil bas.tards!! We don’t want to be supporting any of that nonsense do we!

Best extreme left winger ever was Dave Gilbert

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 221
male private Nale
September 22, 2020, 5:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ska face
Ah right. So that’s isn’t politicising sport but this is. Wars famous for being apolitical events...

Some whopper you are...  Remembrance day is not about remembering wars but those ordinary people that died in it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 221
RichMariner
September 22, 2020, 7:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,128
Gold Stars: 209

If this was the sole aim of BLM then I doubt very much if there would be very much opposition. We all like to think of having equality in society. BLM in the U.K. has gone to great lengths to distance itself from BLM USA, which is a very good thing. The problem is that BLM UK still stands for so much more than simple anti-racism. It has admitted links with extremist and undemocratic groups and its website contains statements about being born white automatically making you a racist. By all means let’s demonstrate against racism but let’s not be so naive as to think this is all that BLM is about.

I understand what you’re saying but do you honestly think, when footballers take the knee — which is what this thread was originally about — that they’re doing it for anything other than equality and freedom?

I find many people will look for ways to distract or even discredit a campaign if they don’t agree with it, which I think is what is happening here.

All I’m saying is let’s acknowledge there is institutional racism, let’s acknowledge there’s racism in football and let’s respect someone’s right to protest. Taking the knee has raised the profile of this campaign. Whether it’s run its course or not is a fair debate.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 105 - 221
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 22, 2020, 8:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,140
Gold Stars: 289
This entire thread feels like a discussion between white people.

If any of you get the chance, sit down with a black person and talk about their everyday experiences in the UK. Very few will have been violently and verbally abused because of their race but they will have been discriminated against many times every day - the way white people look at them, the subtle shifts in body language when a white person meets a black person, the subtle change of tone and words in a conversation. Many institutions that we use every day are designed by and for white people.

A black mother was interviewed on the TV recently and she said she feared for her pre-teen son because he was very close to the point where British society stopped seeing him as cute and started seeing him as a threat.

Walk a mile in a black person's shoes.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 221
Rick12
September 22, 2020, 8:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
This entire thread feels like a discussion between white people.

If any of you get the chance, sit down with a black person and talk about their everyday experiences in the UK. Very few will have been violently and verbally abused because of their race but they will have been discriminated against many times every day - the way white people look at them, the subtle shifts in body language when a white person meets a black person, the subtle change of tone and words in a conversation. Many institutions that we use every day are designed by and for white people.

A black mother was interviewed on the TV recently and she said she feared for her pre-teen son because he was very close to the point where British society stopped seeing him as cute and started seeing him as a threat.

Walk a mile in a black person's shoes.
Yes good points. Theres still a way  to go in overcoming racial discrimination/stereotyping etc. Not just with black people but also disabled people and other groups as well. Hence Ive had friends for one who are wheelchair bound and they have faced untold mockery and discrimination throughout their lives.

The issue is with black lives matter  is your not going  to change people by forcing someone to support the black lives matter movement  eg the media. Change has to come from within.  

After this movement has run its cause there will always be some other form of injustice that needs battling. Hence its human nature sadly. People have a choice and often doing the right thing is often the hardest. Human perfection doesn't exist  .All we can all do is try.

Its a never ending battle .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 221
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 22, 2020, 9:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Joking aside, are you seriously saying that you would be anti-racist if it wasn’t for the fact that some anti-racists hold other views that you don’t agree with?

No Kingston I don’t think I said that at all. I am simply pointing out that there is a difference between believing and demonstrating that racism is wrong and supporting an organisations whose aims go way beyond promoting anti-racism. What players are thinking about when kneeling is not the same as what the leaders of that organisation think.

Not directed at you KM.

When people make trite comments about walking in a black person’s shoes and about white people being institutionally racist for being born white, it shows a level of bias and hatred of humanity on a par with any and every other racist attitude. But it is asking too much of the BLM supporters to see the illogicality of their levelling down philosophy against the levelling up of a true anti-racist. Much easier to call names and make gestures.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 221
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 22, 2020, 9:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,140
Gold Stars: 289

No Kingston I don’t think I said that at all. I am simply pointing out that there is a difference between believing and demonstrating that racism is wrong and supporting an organisations whose aims go way beyond promoting anti-racism. What players are thinking about when kneeling is not the same as what the leaders of that organisation think.

Not directed at you KM.

When people make trite comments about walking in a black person’s shoes and about white people being institutionally racist for being born white, it shows a level of bias and hatred of humanity on a par with any and every other racist attitude. But it is asking too much of the BLM supporters to see the illogicality of their levelling down philosophy against the levelling up of a true anti-racist. Much easier to call names and make gestures.

I have never read such a pile of cr*p that my comment about walking in a black person's shoes makes me biased and a hater of humanity (I can live with being accused of being trite). You are either being inflammatory or you are an unmitigated idiot.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 221
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.