Marinerz93
September 25, 2020, 5:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Sandford1981

I can not profess to know all the combative measures taken by the U.K. to tackle racism or how we compare against other countries. So yes perhaps I’m ignorant in that sense. I do know that despite these measures, racism is still a massive issue and I think more needs to be done. Simple as that.

Fair comments, there will always be an underlining issues with racism of any kind in any country in the world, I've lived and worked in a few from Cyprus, Italy, Turkey to the middle east. In each of these countries the local populace in general always had an ethnic group who they were racist towards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 221
Sandford1981
September 25, 2020, 5:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from arryarryarry

In your reply to me and to Marinerz93 you keep referring to proper action but don't suggest what.

Bland statements like that will do nothing.

You’re right they’re about as useful and constructive as your tired and cliched responses.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 221
Sandford1981
September 25, 2020, 6:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Fair comments, there will always be an underlining issues with racism of any kind in any country in the world, I've lived and worked in a few from Cyprus, Italy, Turkey to the middle east. In each of these countries the local populace in general always had an ethnic group who they were racist towards.

I’m not as well travelled as you and don’t for one minute  doubt your experience. My perspective is a simple one; no matter how common it is currently, or has been historically and irrespective of where it takes place-it’s wrong.

Private Message
Reply: 212 - 221
headingly_mariner
September 25, 2020, 8:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Marinerz93

To be fair the UK is a quality place to live, I love it and I love how in general we embrace different cultures.

I don’t think we should give up because we are a progressive nation. At the minute it feels like we are going backwards and everything is so divisive.

I was talking to a young kid who turns out for my 5 a side team sometimes. He’s mixed race and he tells me he experiences racism regularly, mostly ignorance which is bad enough, but some targeted abuse.
This week he was unlocking his moped as 3 schoolchildren walked past “what you looking at you black illegitimate?”
Had a long conversation with a Mum today who’s moving her daughter school because of the racist abuse she gets, gets it off loads of different kids and she just wants to go to school and learn.

intercourse are these kids getting this excrement from?

Still a problem in our society, we should strive to make it better and not trivialise it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 221
arryarryarry
September 25, 2020, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Sandford1981

You’re right they’re about as useful and constructive as your tired and cliched responses.

Says the person who cannot provide any solutions and comes up with the same old crap.

Private Message
Reply: 214 - 221
RichMariner
September 25, 2020, 11:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Sandford1981
I worry for any person whose response to the slogan ‘black lives matter’ is to say ‘all lives or white lives matter’.

The slogan regardless of its now associated politics, wasn’t to say black lives matter more or to infer by exclusion that white lives don’t matter, it was to say black lives matter-too. This is because although this should be a given, it isn’t.

Absolutely.

When Jeff Stelling wears his prostate cancer badge, he's not saying 'only prostate cancer charity matters' (implying: to hell with the rest).

All cures for cancer matter; we just happen to be talking about prostate cancer in this instance.

Of course all lives matter. But not all lives are treated equally and this particular group want to raise awareness of that.

How anyone can get upset at a peaceful protest like taking the knee is beyond my comprehension.

In years to come, when my kid grows up and (hopefully) becomes a solid gold citizen, I want him to see that his parents were on the right side of history.

Not whinging about a non-violent protest that has brought the world's attention to something that has long needed liberating.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 215 - 221
codcheeky
September 26, 2020, 6:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from arryarryarry

Says the person who cannot provide any solutions and comes up with the same old crap.

It is difficult to find solutions when too many will not admit there is any problem to solve
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 221
Rick12
September 26, 2020, 6:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from cardiffmariner

By all means support the drive for equality this world needs but don’t pretend that Christ  integral to it.

Its ok Cardiffmariner no offense taken.

For me thats where I think you need to understand who Jesus really was and  miss the point in a big way. Someone who tried to aim for purity(get closer to God ) and create a ideal society for all .So yes I do think he was integral to equality and so much more.

I think as someone best put it on twitter a while back:

"If we all tried to live a bit more Jesus the world would be a much better place".

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 221
Sandford1981
September 26, 2020, 7:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

If the same old crap is recognising there is a problem, knowing it’s wrong and wanting things to change then I’m happy to continue to be full of crap.

I don’t have all the answers it’s as simple as that, it’s not something I’m afraid to admit.

My personal view is that Racism is based on ignorance so education is key to tackling it. Beyond that I think we’re all responsible individually for ensuring we are more tolerant, open and understanding.

Private Message
Reply: 218 - 221
Marinerz93
September 26, 2020, 1:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Sandford1981

I’m not as well travelled as you and don’t for one minute  doubt your experience. My perspective is a simple one; no matter how common it is currently, or has been historically and irrespective of where it takes place-it’s wrong.

Good comments and I agree that's it's wrong and as a society we have come along way from the days of slavery, there is still a lot of work to do and this is where constructive history lessons should be designed for kids at a junior school to charter from the days of slavery to were we want to be in years to come. This could include how some Britain's were enslaved by the Romans and through the ages to include speeches made Martin Luther King Jr, the song by Billie Holiday - Strange fruit and the film Mississippi Burning these shocked me and changed my view not only of racism but the world in general.

One thing that has always confused me from the time of slavery is that religion was part of everyone's daily life and it wasn't until William Wilberforce quoted from the bible and says Remember that God made men equal.

For centuries blacks were dehumanized and treated as a commodity, blacks were bought and sold through slavery and it's the deprogramming of that way of thinking that needs addressing.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 221
23 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.