Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Taking the knee

This thread currently has 22,962 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
male private Nale
September 22, 2020, 8:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Sandford1981

Hilarious!

Touché, quite the wordsmith  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 221
RichMariner
September 22, 2020, 9:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Humbercod

Why?

Is this not supposed to be in the scipt? This is what he told me in a recent conversation do you think he’s lying to me?🤯

I think it's because we're using two people as examples. As sample sizes go (in order to draw more accurate conclusions) you need about 10% of the black population in the UK. There are about 2 million people who identify themselves as black living in the UK.

So once you've asked 200,000 black people what their experiences of racism are in this country, then we'll start to get some accuracy.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 131 - 221
RichMariner
September 22, 2020, 9:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from male private Nale

Works both ways that, I presume you have never lived in heavily populated black areas, I do not condone any racism, have friends and workmates of all ethnicities but to say walk a mile in a black persons shoes you should also try walking a mile in a white persons shoes living amongst blacks before you mount your soap box.

If you've walked a mile in a white person's shoes within a black community and experienced racism then surely, surely, that would help you empathise with their current situation and the BLM campaign in general?

I think this is a very clumsy way of looking at this. The problem for many of us is that we simply do not truly know what it's like to switch the TV on and not recognise people similar to us; not to see people of our race in the top jobs at big businesses. We don't know what it's like to be judged every single minute of the day, with passing glances in the street, not being looked at in the eye by someone selling you a newspaper, or not being given a job because your CV was put in the bin on the strength of your unusual name.

I don't know what any of that feels like.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 132 - 221
Vance Warner
September 22, 2020, 9:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,780
Gold Stars: 102
Jesus this thread highlights what a mess this country has got itself in. People suggesting violence because of a peaceful protest they don’t agree with. I really think if this had taken place ten years ago it wouldn’t have been an issue but a decade of deliberate division by those in charge and racist scaremongering in the media has led to this. Surely even if you don’t agree with everything about BLM and think the name sends the wrong message then you can still appreciate that equality for all is a good thing and that actions by players are well intentioned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 221
lew chaterleys lover
September 22, 2020, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from RichMariner

If you've walked a mile in a white person's shoes within a black community and experienced racism then surely, surely, that would help you empathise with their current situation and the BLM campaign in general?

I think this is a very clumsy way of looking at this. The problem for many of us is that we simply do not truly know what it's like to switch the TV on and not recognise people similar to us; not to see people of our race in the top jobs at big businesses. We don't know what it's like to be judged every single minute of the day, with passing glances in the street, not being looked at in the eye by someone selling you a newspaper, or not being given a job because your CV was put in the bin on the strength of your unusual name.

Steady on!

The UK is one of the most diverse countries in the world and we have some of the most stringent equality laws in the world.The vast proportion of the public are quite naturally absolutely fine with people of any creed and there are people of all races and colours in top jobs in industry,  commerce and politics.

Private Message
Reply: 134 - 221
Rodley Mariner
September 22, 2020, 9:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
There you go. Some black people have good jobs and Lew is naturally 'absolutely fine' with it. Job done, institutional racism no more, stop banging on about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 221
pizzzza
September 22, 2020, 10:10pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Someone's gonna take my knee if this thread continues much longer.
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 221
Humbercod
September 22, 2020, 10:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from RichMariner

I suppose if You moved to Japan you would experience something similar as a white man simply because You’re different to the general population, which is what the early black and Asian communities would of experienced. But generations later we now have towns and city’s that are very diverse where Black people thrive and are not eyeballed. It’s all about the ethnic numbers pass a black man walking down Winchester avenue and you may be forgiven for looking twice, similarly a white man walking through the back streets of Saville Town Yorkshire would not surprisingly  get more than the odd glance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 221
male private Nale
September 22, 2020, 10:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

Kick it Out campaign was about racism, BLM is not about racism, you obviously aren't aware or don't understand the fundamentals of BLM. Also what they hell are you on about switching on the TV and not recognising people similar.... you haven't watched much television over the past few years and the drive for diversity then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 221
male private Nale
September 22, 2020, 10:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza
Someone's gonna take my knee if this thread continues much longer.

Ha did you get to page 14 of thread under duress??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 221
23 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.