Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Taking the knee

This thread currently has 22,961 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
codcheeky
September 25, 2020, 12:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from rancido

I am not a racist or condone racism. I am also intelligent enough to know that racism isn't just a one way thing. There is anti white racism in predominantly black populated countries (Zimbabwe), racism between different Asian countries (Pakistan and India).

What has this to do with anything I posted?
Whataboutery at its best, racism in other countries doesn’t make it ok here.
Zimbabwe is a strange example, would you not be aggrieved if an African country invaded the U.K. stole all the arable land and treated the rest of us like second class citizens with no rights? Perhaps you a want a return for the days of empire because they were all better off under us after all
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 221
Marinerz93
September 25, 2020, 12:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Taking the knee is akin to face book likes, and for most the novelty has either worn off or lost it's meaning. The BLM movement lost it's momentum and general support when they started Burning Looting and Murdering.

All lives matter and they should have done more to address the methods used by the Police to either detain or restrain people. Policing in the US is far more dangerous than policing in the UK. The right to carry arms means anyone may be armed and criminals often carry guns in the US, so anyone the Police want to arrest or detain can depending either on their mental state or substance / intoxication can mean a US police officer can face a life or death situation every time they are called to an incident, especially if the person of interest has a history that is either violent, drunk or on drugs.

The racism in the US is far more widespread and deep rooted than the UK, more than people realise. The disgraceful Tuskegee Syphilis Study using black males to see what happens when Syphilis runs it's course without treatment was horrific and as bad as slavery.

Why do the BLM protestors need to burn and loot when they have a wealthy beneficiary funding them in good ol George Soros, you know the chap who funds Antifa.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 221
rancido
September 25, 2020, 1:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from codcheeky

What has this to do with anything I posted?
Whataboutery at its best, racism in other countries doesn’t make it ok here.
Zimbabwe is a strange example, would you not be aggrieved if an African country invaded the U.K. stole all the arable land and treated the rest of us like second class citizens with no rights? Perhaps you a want a return for the days of empire because they were all better off under us after all

But now the boot is on the other foot  The roles have been reverses and the white population is now oppressed. The oppressed have become the oppressors an that's ok is it. However you look at it, it is racism and in this case it becomes White Lives Matter.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 221
RichMariner
September 25, 2020, 2:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from rancido

But now the boot is on the other foot  The roles have been reverses and the white population is now oppressed. The oppressed have become the oppressors an that's ok is it. However you look at it, it is racism and in this case it becomes White Lives Matter.

My in-laws are from Zim, they still have family over there, and you're making very broad statements. Like many other countries, there are complexities to the balance of power, many we don't see. But we only see what we want to believe if it suits our own agenda.

The situation in Zim is very different. Historically and politically. It's not as simple as saying the boot is on the other foot. They had one of the world's most violent dictators in charge, responsible for millions of deaths — including thousands of Ndebele civilians.

It's not 'White Lives Matter'. The vast majority of Zim's population were/are fighting against Mugabe and his legacy. It ain't about blacks waging war against whites or role reversals; this is about one man's quest for power.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 203 - 221
Sandford1981
September 25, 2020, 3:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

I worry for any person whose response to the slogan ‘black lives matter’ is to say ‘all lives or white lives matter’.

The slogan regardless of its now associated politics, wasn’t to say black lives matter more or to infer by exclusion that white lives don’t matter, it was to say black lives matter-too. This is because although this should be a given, it isn’t.

Irrespective of whether we chose to see it or not, racism is alive and well, institutionally, systemically and on a personal level too.

The whataboutery of pointing out that racism exists elsewhere or that it’s not as bad here, as in another country, is a diversionary tactic born out of ignorance and denial. It’s akin to the responses I get from my 7 year old when I’ve caught her doing something she shouldn’t be.

It seems to me, it’s avoidance of the real issues because it’s easier to deflect attention, than look in the mirror, admit the unpalatable and make changes.

Hopefully, if the symbolic ‘taking of the knee’ is to end, I hope that its end is the beginning of real action, as it’s long over due, however, I will not hold my breath.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 221
arryarryarry
September 25, 2020, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Sandford1981

I worry for any person whose response to the slogan ‘black lives matter’ is to say ‘all lives or white lives matter’.

The slogan regardless of its now associated politics, wasn’t to say black lives matter more or to infer by exclusion that white lives don’t matter, it was to say black lives matter-too. This is because although this should be a given, it isn’t.

Irrespective of whether we chose to see it or not, racism is alive and well, institutionally, systemically and on a personal level too.

The whataboutery of pointing out that racism exists elsewhere or that it’s not as bad here, as in another country, is a diversionary tactic born out of ignorance and denial. It’s akin to the responses I get from my 7 year old when I’ve caught her doing something she shouldn’t be.

It seems to me, it’s avoidance of the real issues because it’s easier to deflect attention, than look in the mirror, admit the unpalatable and make changes.

Hopefully, if the symbolic ‘taking of the knee’ is to end, I hope that its end is the beginning of real action, as it’s long over due, however, I will not hold my breath.

There has been racism and oppression for centuries.

The Romans invaded Britain and oppressed the local population and likely killed many of them. Should we rip up the A1, destroy what is left of Hadrian's Wall or anything else that refers to the Romans.

If you think that professional footballers going down on one knee is going to end racism then you are sadly deluded.
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 221
Marinerz93
September 25, 2020, 4:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Sandford1981

Black Lives Matter Too, that would have been a far better and more fitting slogan.

It would seem you are the ignorant one and in denial, there has been more done to combat racism in the UK than elsewhere, in the US there are plans from different groups who are planning for a race war, not a race riot, a race war and groups have been stock piling weapons for this.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 221
Sandford1981
September 25, 2020, 4:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

There has been racism and oppression for centuries.

The Romans invaded Britain and oppressed the local population and likely killed many of them. Should we rip up the A1, destroy what is left of Hadrian's Wall or anything else that refers to the Romans.

If you think that professional footballers going down on one knee is going to end racism then you are sadly deluded.

I’m not quite sure what about my post suggests that I think taking the knee will end racism. I thought I’d made it clear that I hoped that if the symbolic taking of the knee was to end, it would give way to proper action and that I was pessimistic about that. My apologies if I did not make that clear enough.

Private Message
Reply: 207 - 221
Sandford1981
September 25, 2020, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Black Lives Matter Too, that would have been a far better and more fitting slogan.

It would seem you are the ignorant one and in denial, there has been more done to combat racism in the UK than elsewhere, in the US there are plans from different groups who are planning for a race war, not a race riot, a race war and groups have been stock piling weapons for this.

I can not profess to know all the combative measures taken by the U.K. to tackle racism or how we compare against other countries. So yes perhaps I’m ignorant in that sense. I do know that despite these measures, racism is still a massive issue and I think more needs to be done. Simple as that.

Private Message
Reply: 208 - 221
arryarryarry
September 25, 2020, 5:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Sandford1981

I’m not quite sure what about my post suggests that I think taking the knee will end racism. I thought I’d made it clear that I hoped that if the symbolic taking of the knee was to end, it would give way to proper action and that I was pessimistic about that. My apologies if I did not make that clear enough.

In your reply to me and to Marinerz93 you keep referring to proper action but don't suggest what.

Bland statements like that will do nothing.
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 221
23 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.