Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,672 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
March 3, 2022, 6:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Sounds good. Must look it up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 300 - 447
ginnywings
April 3, 2022, 7:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
Captain Fantastic
8/10

Ben Cash, his wife Leslie and their six children live in the Washington wilderness. Ben and Leslie are former anarchist activists disillusioned with capitalism and American life, and chose to instill survivalist skills, left wing politics, and philosophy in their children - educating them to think critically, training them to be self-reliant, physically fit and athletic, guiding them without technology, demonstrating the beauty of coexisting with nature and celebrating Noam Chomsky's birthday instead of Christmas..

This was quirky and offbeat with some really good performances. It managed to avoid some of the cliches you may expect from this kind of caper but it was as mad as a box of frogs too but with the universal theme of love and family shining through.

I started to watch this film but stopped after about 30 mins and can't remember why. It was a couple of years back and I had completely forgotten about it until I read this post.

Don't think I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it, more that something came up I had to attend to, so I will revisit it as I like these types of film. Sometimes think about going to live somewhere remote myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 301 - 447
Sandford1981
April 4, 2022, 11:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

I started to watch this film but stopped after about 30 mins and can't remember why. It was a couple of years back and I had completely forgotten about it until I read this post.

Don't think I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it, more that something came up I had to attend to, so I will revisit it as I like these types of film. Sometimes think about going to live somewhere remote myself.

The older I get and the direction in which I see ‘society’ is heading, the more appealing living off grid or even on another planet becomes!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 302 - 447
Sandford1981
April 7, 2022, 1:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Beautiful Boy
8.5/10

Based on the best-selling pair of memoirs from father and son David and Nic Sheff, Beautiful Boy chronicles the heartbreaking and inspiring experience of survival, relapse and recovery in a family coping with addiction over many years.

Sensitively done but unflinching at the same time. There are genuinely touching moments along with some that are properly saddening but in a really authentic way. Carell turns in a top rate performance but that is no surprise. I’d challenge any parent to watch him and not feel his pain.

Private Message
Reply: 303 - 447
Sandford1981
May 24, 2022, 2:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The Northman
7/10

From visionary director Robert Eggers comes The Northman, an action-filled epic that follows a young Viking prince on his quest to avenge his father's murder.

Has a touch of vikings which is to be expected and also Valhalla Rising. I thought it was overly long and a bit too ‘arthousey’ although I understand the mythology and otherworldly elements of it. The film is well made but ultimately left me feeling cold and underwhelmed.

Private Message
Reply: 304 - 447
Sandford1981
May 24, 2022, 2:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The Batman
8/10

When a sadistic serial killer begins murdering key political figures in Gotham, Batman is forced to investigate the city's hidden corruption and question his family's involvement.

A touch under 3 hours but it didn’t feel that long watching it. I was slightly dubious about Pattinson but after initially jarring a little, by about half way through I’d forgotten my minor gripe. I think he actually does a pretty good job but the star of the show is Paul Dano who manages to do creepy and unhinged very well (again). Overall I really enjoyed it.

Private Message
Reply: 305 - 447
Sandford1981
May 25, 2022, 7:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Operation Mincemeat
8/10

During WWII, two intelligence officers use a corpse and false papers to outwit German troops.

A remarkable true story that beggars belief with how much planning and detail went in to making this fanciful idea a workable reality.
A very strong and mainly British cast do a great job for my money and judging this on purely entertainment value I really enjoyed it and to my surprise so did my better half. I’m sure some will argue that some of the sub plots were not necessary but I quite enjoyed them overall.

Private Message
Reply: 306 - 447
Sandford1981
May 25, 2022, 7:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Operation Mincemeat
8/10

During WWII, two intelligence officers use a corpse and false papers to outwit German troops.

A remarkable true story that beggars belief with how much planning and detail went in to making this fanciful idea a workable reality.
A very strong and mainly British cast do a great job for my money and judging this on purely entertainment value I really enjoyed it and to my surprise so did my better half. I’m sure some will argue that some of the sub plots were not necessary but I quite enjoyed them overall.

Private Message
Reply: 307 - 447
Sandford1981
May 26, 2022, 12:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Three Identical Strangers
8/10

In 1980 New York, three young men who were all adopted meet each other and find out they're triplets who were separated at birth. But their quest to find out why turns into a bizarre and sinister mystery.

A really good watch that made me feel similar to when I watched the original Catfish documentary and The Imposter (both brilliant by the way). Both intriguing and disturbing but it left me eager for more.

Private Message
Reply: 308 - 447
DB
June 11, 2022, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Bullitt is on ITV 4 tonight. I know it's old but the car chase was brilliant, and the storyline isn't too bad.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 309 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.