Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 26 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,725 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Manchester Mariner
November 3, 2022, 11:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Everything Everywhere All at Once

Absolutely bonkers film which trapeze's the genres about a Chinese Laundry being audited by the IRS during which the main character discovers she must connect to parallel universe versions of herself to stop the destruction of the universe and to sort out their tax returns.

I really enjoyed this, with the parallel universe stuff it's occasionally a bit hard going to understand but it's also very light hearted so not really hardcore sci-fi or owt. If you just go with it and get taken along for the ride then things get tied up nicely. I wouldn't be surprised to see this winning a fair few awards. 9/10

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 360 - 447
ginnywings
November 5, 2022, 9:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
The Last Vermeer. 7/10

Fascinating true story about the Nazi's and stolen art, centering around a Dutch artist who was arrested after the war for his part in selling Dutch masters to Herman Goering and becoming fabulously wealthy into the bargain. Only there is a twist in the story.

Some of the acting I found a bit wooden except for Guy Pearce, who steals the film as the main character Han van Meegeren.

Worth a watch on Netflix.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 361 - 447
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
November 13, 2022, 2:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
All quiet on the western front (2022)

Very realistic depiction of the 1st world war seen through the eyes of a young conscript in the German army.

Well directed and grabbed me from the outset.  

Heard lots about it, finally saw it and was a little disappointed to be honest. Having read and re-read Remarques book and watched and re-watched the original 1930 film, I felt that this version missed out or shortened major parts and then tried to compress the majority of the storyline into the last two weeks of the war and changed the finale. I will agree it was brilliantly filmed, however I can't attest to it being a realistic depiction of WWI who could as I don't think anyone could really depict the living hell that was the Great War.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 362 - 447
Rick12
November 13, 2022, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

. I will agree it was brilliantly filmed, however I can't attest to it being a realistic depiction of WWI who could as I don't think anyone could really depict the living hell that was the Great War.

In fairness I don't think no film can accurately portray the horrendous suffering the soldiers and even civilians must of gone through during the 2 world wars .

Another film that grabbed me which I thought conveyed to some extent what the Jews must of gone through during the l930s to the mid  1940s is the pianist released in 2002. Some of the scenes in it and I saw this like 10 years ago now made me that hungry that I had to grab a bit of bread, ate it and greatly appreciated it.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 363 - 447
Sandford1981
November 14, 2022, 9:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Amsterdam
6.5/10

In the 1930s, three friends witness a murder, are framed for it, and uncover one of the most outrageous plots in American history.

I honestly cannot work out if I liked or enjoyed this film and I had real trouble giving it a mark. It looks good, has a great cast and there is acting to be admired. The dynamic between Washington, Bale and Robbie is excellent and the thread of a true story is an extraordinary one.
However, it’s as mad as a box of frogs!! At times it’s oddity and quirky nature was distracting and it’s pace uneven to say the least. At times it got on my nerves and it felt a tad long unsurprisingly. It had a feel of a Wes Anderson film but perhaps lacking the same charm…for me anyway.
A strange film.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 364 - 447
ginnywings
November 20, 2022, 4:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Once. 8.5/10.

Really enjoyed this and surprised I missed it when released some years ago as it's the kind of film I like.

The story of a guy who has split with his girlfriend and is working in and living above his dad's hoover repair shop in Dublin. He is an aspiring singer/songwriter and spends time busking in the centre of town, where he meets a Czech migrant flower seller, who is also a musician and songwriter. They become friends and start to perform and write songs together. She tells him how talented he is and talks him into getting together a band and hiring a studio to make a demo.

The original songs in the film are really very good and above the usual standard you get in these kinds of films, and the actors look very convincing in their roles and never give the impression of actors playing the part of singers and musicians.

There is a good reason for this as I later found out when I looked up the soundtrack. The two main actors are in fact real life singers and musicians Glen Hansard and Margeta Irglova who have written and performed together as The Swell Season, and they wrote and performed all the songs for the film. Hansard also fronts Irish band The Frames, who are a big deal in Ireland despite me never hearing of them.

This eventually led me to Youtube where I was surprised to find Hansard performing on stage with the likes of Eddie Vedder and Bruce Springsteen. He is a lot bigger than I was expecting, which surprised me as I know and like a lot of Irish bands and music.

Good film which is in turns funny, engaging and warm, with good music and I discovered a new artist to boot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 365 - 447
Sandford1981
November 21, 2022, 3:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Once. 8.5/10.

Really enjoyed this and surprised I missed it when released some years ago as it's the kind of film I like.

The story of a guy who has split with his girlfriend and is working in and living above his dad's hoover repair shop in Dublin. He is an aspiring singer/songwriter and spends time busking in the centre of town, where he meets a Czech migrant flower seller, who is also a musician and songwriter. They become friends and start to perform and write songs together. She tells him how talented he is and talks him into getting together a band and hiring a studio to make a demo.

The original songs in the film are really very good and above the usual standard you get in these kinds of films, and the actors look very convincing in their roles and never give the impression of actors playing the part of singers and musicians.

There is a good reason for this as I later found out when I looked up the soundtrack. The two main actors are in fact real life singers and musicians Glen Hansard and Margeta Irglova who have written and performed together as The Swell Season, and they wrote and performed all the songs for the film. Hansard also fronts Irish band The Frames, who are a big deal in Ireland despite me never hearing of them.

This eventually led me to Youtube where I was surprised to find Hansard performing on stage with the likes of Eddie Vedder and Bruce Springsteen. He is a lot bigger than I was expecting, which surprised me as I know and like a lot of Irish bands and music.

Good film which is in turns funny, engaging and warm, with good music and I discovered a new artist to boot.

I reviewed this gem earlier in the thread and I think Manchester Mariner was as equally impressed as me n thee with it!
I’d love for more people to give it a whirl!

Private Message
Reply: 366 - 447
Manchester Mariner
November 21, 2022, 4:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981

I reviewed this gem earlier in the thread and I think Manchester Mariner was as equally impressed as me n thee with it!
I’d love for more people to give it a whirl!

I do love Once but I can sort of appreciate it won't be for everyone. I watched it again with my wife recently and she thought it was "a bit twee like some of those bed wetting indie bands wearing cardigans that you like."

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 367 - 447
Sandford1981
November 21, 2022, 5:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

I do love Once but I can sort of appreciate it won't be for everyone. I watched it again with my wife recently and she thought it was "a bit twee like some of those bed wetting indie bands wearing cardigans that you like."

I mean clearly what your other half lacks in film taste (albeit I’ve have a grand total of 1 film to make that generalisation) she more than makes up for it in acerbic wit! That put down is tremendous!! 😂

Private Message
Reply: 368 - 447
aldi_01
November 23, 2022, 6:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I thought All quiet on the Western front was very good. I’ve read the book and understandably so, they’ve left bits out etc as is always the case but it does at least try to show the brutality and sheer idiocy of generals.

I’m well aware nothing could really show that, not properly but at least they try and don’t shy away.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 369 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.