Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,703 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
October 26, 2022, 2:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Help released 2021.

Saw this on netflix and very thought provoking. About the covid crisis and how a care home really struggled to cope with staff absences and not enough equipment being supplied. All based on what happened.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 350 - 447
Sandford1981
October 27, 2022, 8:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
The Banker
7.5/10

Revolutionary businessmen Bernard Garrett (Anthony Mackie) and Joe Morris (Samuel L. Jackson) devise an audacious and risky plan to take on the racist establishment of the 1960s by helping other African Americans pursue the American dream. Along with Garrett's wife Eunice (Nia Long), they train a working class white man, Matt Steiner (Nicholas Hoult), to pose as the rich and privileged face of their burgeoning real estate and banking empire - while Garrett and Morris pose as a janitor and a chauffeur. Their success ultimately draws the attention of the federal government, which threatens everything the four have built.

Based around a true story which is pretty extraordinary in fairness. This was both enjoyable snd surprising. Another film that I didn’t get round to watching when it was released but I’m very glad I’ve caught up now.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 351 - 447
Sandford1981
October 27, 2022, 8:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
County Lines
8/10

A 14-year-old boy is groomed into a lethal nation-wide drug-selling enterprise which exploits vulnerable children and traffics them across Britain.

This film was made with next to no money in a broad sense but the results far outweigh its budget. This is a warts and all portrayal of a shameful and grubby business and after watching it I felt I needed a shower. It gets under your skin and the mother and son’s performances are in particular are really good.

Private Message
Reply: 352 - 447
Manchester Mariner
October 27, 2022, 10:28am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Brian and Charles

Mildly eccentric inventor/loner builds a bizzare looking robot which changes his life.

Great little British film, simple, quirky, funny and a bit of a heart warmer. A solid 8/10.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 353 - 447
Sandford1981
October 30, 2022, 7:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Greatest Beer Run Ever
7.5/10

A man's story of leaving New York in 1967 to bring beer to his childhood buddies in the Army while they are fighting in Vietnam.

Another film based on a book about a surreal true story. I had seen the trailer a while ago and was eagerly looking forward to watching this. In general I was not disappointed and I enjoyed the film for what it was. I certainly enjoyed it more than the critics did and I don’t really agree with their negativity around it. It’s a bit preachy in places but I didn’t mind that and I thought that Efron as the lead was pretty solid throughout. There’s a good bit of humour and it doesn’t flinch from the ugliness of war either. Russell Crowe is not in it nearly enough however and when he is he adds his usual gravitas with seemingly little effort.

Private Message
Reply: 354 - 447
Rick12
October 30, 2022, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
County Lines
8/10

A 14-year-old boy is groomed into a lethal nation-wide drug-selling enterprise which exploits vulnerable children and traffics them across Britain.

This film was made with next to no money in a broad sense but the results far outweigh its budget. This is a warts and all portrayal of a shameful and grubby business and after watching it I felt I needed a shower. It gets under your skin and the mother and sons performances are in particular are really good.

Read about this on a deeper level. True to life as well. Will try to give this one a watch.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 355 - 447
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
October 30, 2022, 7:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Fall
8/10

Two young women climb a 2000 ft communications tower for Instagram photos and to release the ashes of one of thems recently departed climber husband, but things go wrong. Fantastic CGI effects and a surprisingly tense storyline.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 356 - 447
Sandford1981
October 31, 2022, 9:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The lady in the Van
8/10

Based upon the true story of London playwright and actor Alan Bennett's (Alex Jennings') unusual multi-year relationship with an eccentric elderly, homeless woman he knew as Miss Mary Shepherd (Dame Maggie Smith) in the 1970s before allowing her to park her van in the driveway of his home. She stayed there for fifteen years. Miss Shepherd was, in fact, Margaret Fairchild, former pupil of pianist Alfred Cortot. She played Chopin in a concert, and after she tried to become a nun, was institutionalized by her brother. Living in fear of being caught and sent back, she had an accident when her van was hit by a motorcyclist for which she believed herself to blame, and thereafter was also fearful of arrest.

An absolute delight! Alex Jennings and Maggie Smith put in great performances. This is a very good film and a story brilliantly told. This is perfect for a rainy Sunday evening after a roast dinner.

Private Message
Reply: 357 - 447
ginnywings
October 31, 2022, 10:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Agreed. It's an excellent film, a fascinating story and Maggie Smith is always good value.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 358 - 447
Rick12
November 3, 2022, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
All quiet on the western front (2022)

Very realistic depiction of the 1st world war seen through the eyes of a young conscript in the German army.

Well directed and grabbed me from the outset.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 359 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.