Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,668 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 8, 2022, 4:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
I also watched Midway and thought, when compared to the original (Henry Fonda & all) it was a load of rubbish. The main storyline was missed and the acting was poor at best. Mind you when I see a new adaption of an old film they never seem to improve it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 280 - 447
Sandford1981
February 14, 2022, 8:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Last Night in Soho
7/10

In acclaimed director Edgar Wright's psychological thriller, Eloise, an aspiring fashion designer, is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters a dazzling wannabe singer, Sandie. But the glamour is not all it appears to be and the dreams of the past start to crack and splinter into something far darker.

I spent the first three quarters of the film trying to figure out just what it was and wondering how much I was enjoying it. This was despite it looking good, the acting being decent, the direction done well and the soundtrack is great. The final quarter tied it all up well and overall I enjoyed it. A horror mystery with a whiff of Stephen King to it.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 281 - 447
Sandford1981
February 14, 2022, 8:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Kings Man
6.5/10

In the early years of the 20th century, the Kingsman agency is formed to stand against a cabal plotting a war to wipe out millions.

I really, really enjoyed the first film in the series, thought the second was pretty good too and was looking forward to this origin movie. Overall I was entertained watching it for some escapism but afterwards slightly disappointed. The excellent cast probably saved it but it was overly long and the weakest of the three.

Private Message
Reply: 282 - 447
Sandford1981
February 15, 2022, 8:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Siege at Jadotville
8/10

The Congo, 1961. Due to escalating tensions in the area, the UN sends in a company of Irish peacekeepers into the province of Katanga. They are to hold the town of Jadotville at all costs. The local warlord recruits 1,000 French mercenaries, ostensibly to protect the mines in the area. However, after the UN goes on the offensive, the mercenaries are unleashed on the Irish.

I was aware of the film but hadn’t realised it was a true story. I was really impressed with it and was surprised it’s gone under the radar somewhat.

Private Message
Reply: 283 - 447
Sandford1981
February 16, 2022, 7:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Outlaw King
8/10

A true David vs. Goliath story of how the 14th century Scottish 'Outlaw King' Robert the Bruce used cunning and bravery to defeat the much larger and better equipped occupying English army.

The filmmakers claim this is an accurate representation of what really took place. I don’t know this to be the case but I’d imagine it’s more accurate than other Hollywood films on a similar subject. Judging this purely as a movie rather than a history lesson I thought it was a gem of a film. Some of the battle scenes were brilliant.

Private Message
Reply: 284 - 447
Maringer
February 16, 2022, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
I thought The King's Man was utter tosh. Lost interest in it to the extent I almost didn't bother to watch the finale. My wife fell asleep about an hour from the end and I really can't blame her.

Fiennes a good actor, obviously, but they could have swapped out the lad playing his son with a plank and it wouldn't have made much difference. Arterton still can't act. The previous two films were entertaining due to some silly set pieces but this one didn't have a clue what it was trying to be and it was way too serious for the franchise. Way too long as well. A real shame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 285 - 447
ginnywings
February 16, 2022, 10:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
Outlaw King
8/10

A true David vs. Goliath story of how the 14th century Scottish 'Outlaw King' Robert the Bruce used cunning and bravery to defeat the much larger and better equipped occupying English army.

The filmmakers claim this is an accurate representation of what really took place. I don’t know this to be the case but I’d imagine it’s more accurate than other Hollywood films on a similar subject. Judging this purely as a movie rather than a history lesson I thought it was a gem of a film. Some of the battle scenes were brilliant.

Yeah, it's a good film.

I would also recommend The King on Netflix if you haven't seen it. It's the story of Price Hal, as he's known in Shakespeare plays, who becomes King Henry V, of the Battle of Agincourt fame.

It too has some brilliant and brutal battle scenes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 286 - 447
aldi_01
February 17, 2022, 6:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Watched Tinder Swindler…bonkers.

I’m not for one minute victim blaming but the gullible nature of some folk is astounding…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 287 - 447
Sandford1981
February 17, 2022, 6:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, it's a good film.

I would also recommend The King on Netflix if you haven't seen it. It's the story of Price Hal, as he's known in Shakespeare plays, who becomes King Henry V, of the Battle of Agincourt fame.

I started this yesterday but had to leave it after 30minutes. Going to pick it up again later.

Private Message
Reply: 288 - 447
Sandford1981
February 17, 2022, 1:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, it's a good film.

8/10
I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only minor gripe it is that it at times it is too dimly lit but in the main a very, very good film.
The muddy and bloody battle is reminiscent of the battle of the bastardss from GOT.

Private Message
Reply: 289 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.