Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,697 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
November 23, 2022, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01
I thought All quiet on the Western front was very good. I’ve read the book and understandably so, they’ve left bits out etc as is always the case but it does at least try to show the brutality and sheer idiocy of generals.

I’m well aware nothing could really show that, not properly but at least they try and don’t shy away.
If you ever get the chance if you haven't already go to the Imperial War museum in London. Very good museum I feel that highlights what went on in both world wars and others including Afghanistan . Opens your eyes more to the suffering and sacrifice the military have experienced and the conflicts humans create. I know in the past they have put on the trench experience for the public where they try to depict what was life like in the trenches in world war 2 I think it was.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 370 - 447
Sandford1981
December 5, 2022, 10:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Nothing but the Truth
7/10

In Washington, D.C., a reporter faces a possible jail sentence for outing a CIA agent and refusing to reveal her source.

This film passed me by when it was released for reasons unbeknownst to me. It came up as a result of watching other films in that can be related such as Kill the Messenger, The Report, Shock and Awe, Official Secrets and Fair Game.
I’m not sure it’s as good as any of those films but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Vera Farmiga is in it and I like her as an actress and the same goes for Kate Beckinsale though maybe for different reasons. Matt Dillion plays the prosecution role well and Alan Alda does what he does with the usual gravitas.
Don’t rush out and watch it but if you’ve spent an hour searching for something unsuccessfully then this will fill a hole!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 371 - 447
Sandford1981
December 14, 2022, 2:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Emancipation
8/10

A runaway slave forges through the swamps of Louisiana on a tortuous journey to escape plantation owners that nearly killed him.

Firstly, to address some of the criticisms I’ve heard levelled at this picture. Yes it could be considered awards bait given the subject matter and performance of Will Smith but I’ve enjoyed many films that would have been thought of in similar fashion.

Secondly, it’s been claimed that this isn’t just another slave movie by the makers and many people disagree with that sentiment and therefore use it as a stick to beat the film with. I actually agree with that, there is nothing I haven’t seen before but that hasn’t stopped me enjoying copious amounts of westerns and war films over the years. Besides that you can reduce most films to a handful of basic storylines and it doesn’t quell your enjoyment when watching them.

Finally, it’s shot with a very limited color palette meaning it appears almost black and white for the majority of the movie. This did not bother me in the slightest and I liked this element of it and the atmosphere it created.

In short I’m not sure why there seems to be a lack of love for this film. I enjoyed it and thought it was well made with a very strong performance from Will Smith.

Private Message
Reply: 372 - 447
Manchester Mariner
December 27, 2022, 5:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
The Banshees of Innisherin

Set on a small Irish Island in the 20's the film follows lifelong friends who find themselves at an impasse when one abruptly ends their relationship.

I thought this was an absolutely wonderful film, unsurprising from the writer director of films like Seven Psychopaths, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and In Bruges which it borrows the two main actors from. A similar black humour runs throughout. I wouldn't be surprised to see it picking up an Oscar or two in 2023.

9/10

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 373 - 447
ginnywings
December 27, 2022, 5:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Thanks for the review MM.

Been looking at watching this and you have reminded me to seek it out. Loved his other films, especially Three Billboards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 374 - 447
Sandford1981
December 27, 2022, 6:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Set on a small Irish Island in the 20's the film follows lifelong friends who find themselves at an impasse when one abruptly ends their relationship.

I thought this was an absolutely wonderful film, unsurprising from the writer director of films like Seven Psychopaths, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and In Bruges which it borrows the two main actors from. A similar black humour runs throughout. I wouldn't be surprised to see it picking up an Oscar or two in 2023.

9/10

Have you seen either or both of ‘The Guard’ or ‘Calvary’?
They’re by Martin McDonagh’s brother John Michael, use similar actors, have familiar themes and for my money are absolute gems!

Private Message
Reply: 375 - 447
Manchester Mariner
December 27, 2022, 7:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981

Have you seen either or both of ‘The Guard’ or ‘Calvary’?
They’re by Martin McDonagh’s brother John Michael, use similar actors, have familiar themes and for my money are absolute gems!

I've seen both and I'm in full agreement, both are brilliant. I didn't realise it was Martin McDonaghs brother. It's a bit weird, albeit weird in a good way that both their films have similar vibes.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 376 - 447
ginnywings
December 27, 2022, 8:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The Guard is a cracking film but I haven't seen Calvary, so that's another for my list, especially as it contains Kelly Reilly.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 377 - 447
ginnywings
December 27, 2022, 8:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Mosul  7/10.

True story of an Iraqi SWAT team made up of locals, who are sweeping through Mosul toward the end of the Iraq war, seeking and destroying as many ISIS fighters as they can to stop them fleeing to safety. There is not a lot more to it than that really and it's almost non stop close quarters fighting from start to finish. There is a personal motive to their quest as we find out toward the end.

The film is in the native language, so if you don't like subtitles, then you may shy away, but there is not a lot of dialogue anyway.

Fast moving and very violent, but not much in the way of character building or storyline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 378 - 447
GhostDan
December 27, 2022, 9:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

9/10

Brilliant film, so much so I’ve watched it 3 times in the last week and took something different from it each time.   Also went back and watched Three Billboards again, McDonagh is incredibly talented.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 379 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.