Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 50 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,729 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... Next All Recommend Thread
scrumble
September 4, 2022, 6:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Rick12
Field of dreams (1989).

One of my favourite films. About following your dreams despite the ridicule and criticism by some.

Heartwarming story .

8.5/10

That was one of those I wouldn't choose to watch, but stumbled into when randomly channel hopping, and actually really enjoyed.

The Dish was another one. A film about the true story of the NASA radio dish in Australia ,and used during the moon landings should be as dull as dish water, but is surprisingly good.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 340 - 447
Rick12
September 4, 2022, 8:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from scrumble

The Dish was another one. A film about the true story of the NASA radio dish in Australia ,and used during the moon landings should be as dull as dish water, but is surprisingly good.
Can't say I've heard of it but thanks for the recommendation

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 341 - 447
ginnywings
September 4, 2022, 8:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
A good baseball movie from the 80's is The Natural, starring Robert Redford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 342 - 447
Rick12
September 4, 2022, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings
A good baseball movie from the 80's is The Natural, starring Robert Redford.
Thanks for the link .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 343 - 447
Sandford1981
September 11, 2022, 6:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
I Came By
6/10

Follows a young graffiti artist who discovers a shocking secret that would put him and the ones closest to him in danger.

After spending way too long searching for the perfect watch we decided to just put something on and chose this.
Firstly it is a good cast, it looks good and the concept is perfectly fine. I watched the whole thing without coming close to turning it off. However, it is very cliched and nothing you haven’t seen before. My advice is to avoid it, because at a touch under 2 hours there are way betters things you could be watching instead.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 344 - 447
OddShapedBalls
September 21, 2022, 3:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Changeland - 3/10

3 is being generous too, 2 points awarded for the stunning scenery and one for Seth Greens' acting in the first half of the film.  Overall though, this feels like Seth Green was handed a film budget to blow on something with no oversight whatsoever and randomly hired some mates for a jaunt around asia..  Randy Orton I have no idea why his character exists in this film aside from to get a star name on the posters, and Macauley Culkin looks like he needs help not an acting job.  The advert looked like a kind of hangover-style film, but had neither the laughs, characters or plot to emulate it.

The premise is a good one - Seth Greens' character has caught his wife cheating and so sets off on the surprise anniversary holiday he's booked in Thailand with his mate (Breckin Meyer) instead.  
Only....he hasn't told his wife that this is the case.  After meeting his carefree friend and some initial misunderstandings at the hotel  - where they aren't convinced the wife exists- they set out on boat tours of the stunning Thai wilderness.

After that it goes downhill rapidly, and I kept watching out of a belief that there must be a point to it all.  Much like my ex-wife though, I was left unfulfilled as we close to credits with him calling his cheating missus after avoiding her calls all week but not hearing any of the conversation or getting to find out what decision his voyage of discovery led him to make.

Avoid unless it's free.  Then still probably avoid, tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 345 - 447
Sandford1981
October 13, 2022, 11:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Bullet Train
7.5/10

Five assassins aboard a swiftly-moving bullet train to find out that their missions have something in common.

There’s more than a touch of Tarantino in this film and there is no doubt that Brad Pitt carries it somewhat but the supporting cast definitely play their parts as well. There is plenty of violence, great set piece action sequences and humour too. If you don’t take it too seriously this is definitely worth a Friday evening with a take away. A good bit of fun.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 346 - 447
Mayaman
October 16, 2022, 12:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 74
When I flew home in July, I watched ' The Castle"  Great Aussie movie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 347 - 447
Mayaman
October 16, 2022, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Rick12
Yes seen Top boy Sandford and really like it. Ive been a London boy as well all my life so I could identify with the characters in the series . Having said that I don't like drugs and never have done and also feel for genuine metropolitan police officers  ( a gripe with the show though is wish they could put a more positive slant on police and not just be bothered about ratings). Especially have a lot of respect and admiration for genuine black police officers who are trying to do a honest job in the metropolitan police in what can be very trying circumstances . Not all black people like white people who come from very disadvantaged backgrounds are against the police in London. I remember being stopped and searched by a black policeman and he was genuinely good in the way he spoke to me. In order for relations to improve between police and public I feel we need more police who have a desire to do good and as one or two have said previously it goes beyond the money but a deep desire to help the community and others.

I enjoyed that too - though not the content obviously.  It's gritty.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 348 - 447
Manchester Mariner
October 16, 2022, 12:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Mayaman
When I flew home in July, I watched ' The Castle"  Great Aussie movie.

👍One of my all time favourites. One of the few films I've watched multiple times.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 349 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.