Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,669 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 19, 2022, 8:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The Kings Man.
5/10

Fell asleep twice during the film and what I did see was mostly bobbins. Disappointing as the first two were enjoyable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 290 - 447
ginnywings
February 19, 2022, 8:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Belfast.
7/10

Set during the start of the troubles in 1969 and filmed in black and white, which gave it a bit more of an authentic feel.

Heard good things about this film and it was generally good, but not as good as I was hoping. Found some of the actors inauthentic and the young lad who was the main character was just a little too wholesome for my liking.

What did appeal was that it reminded me of my childhood, without the sectarian violence of course. A lot of the scenes and references took me back to that time, when I was ten, about the same age as the young lad in the film.

It also has an excellent soundtrack of mainly Van Morrison songs, with a smattering of others that took me back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 291 - 447
Sandford1981
February 21, 2022, 8:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
Belfast.
7/10

Set during the start of the troubles in 1969 and filmed in black and white, which gave it a bit more of an authentic feel.

Heard good things about this film and it was generally good, but not as good as I was hoping. Found some of the actors inauthentic and the young lad who was the main character was just a little too wholesome for my liking.

What did appeal was that it reminded me of my childhood, without the sectarian violence of course. A lot of the scenes and references took me back to that time, when I was ten, about the same age as the young lad in the film.

It also has an excellent soundtrack of mainly Van Morrison songs, with a smattering of others that took me back.

Belfast is one of my favourite films of the last year. I thought the direction was great and the acting was on point too. Though I’d definitely agree with you on the soundtrack-it was bloody brilliant!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 292 - 447
promotion plaice
February 21, 2022, 10:07pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 200

Just watched the last episode 6 of 6 of the psychological thriller "Chloe" on BBC One, kept hoping it would get better but what a waste of six hours of my life.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 293 - 447
Sandford1981
February 23, 2022, 10:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Interstellar
9.5/10

Earth's future has been riddled by disasters, famines, and droughts. There is only one way to ensure mankind's survival: Interstellar travel. A newly discovered wormhole in the far reaches of our solar system allows a team of astronauts to go where no man has gone before, a planet that may have the right environment to sustain human life.

Christopher Nolan doesn’t make bad films in my opinion and In fact, more than that he makes brilliant films. I’d avoided this one for it’s subject matter but decided to take the plunge after watching the series ‘Cosmos’. I’m really glad I did and wish I had done sooner. Did I understand every small detail?No! Did it matter or lessen the enjoyment or impact of the film? Not a bit! There were 2 bits that absolutely killed me too. I wasn’t expecting it to be emotional. It was. Great film.

Private Message
Reply: 294 - 447
mariner91
February 24, 2022, 9:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Hunt for the Wilderpeople. On Amazon Prime. 9/10. Very funny and enjoyable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 295 - 447
Sandford1981
February 25, 2022, 1:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The Social Dilemma
8.5/10

Set in the dark underbelly of Silicon Valley, The Social Dilemma fuses investigative documentary with enlightening narrative drama. Expert testimony from tech whistle-blowers exposes our disturbing predicament: the services Big Tech provides-search engines, networks, instant information, etc.-are merely the candy that lures us to bite. Once we're hooked and coming back for more, the real commodity they sell is their prowess to influence and manipulate us.

I’m not on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and as such perhaps I’m naive to a lot of the subject matter covered in this documentary. However that said I found it very interesting and frightening in equal measure. I’d liken it to a magician exposing the method behind his trickery but with a dark side.

Private Message
Reply: 296 - 447
Sandford1981
March 3, 2022, 10:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Captain Fantastic
8/10

Ben Cash, his wife Leslie and their six children live in the Washington wilderness. Ben and Leslie are former anarchist activists disillusioned with capitalism and American life, and chose to instill survivalist skills, left wing politics, and philosophy in their children - educating them to think critically, training them to be self-reliant, physically fit and athletic, guiding them without technology, demonstrating the beauty of coexisting with nature and celebrating Noam Chomsky's birthday instead of Christmas..

This was quirky and offbeat with some really good performances. It managed to avoid some of the cliches you may expect from this kind of caper but it was as mad as a box of frogs too but with the universal theme of love and family shining through.

Private Message
Reply: 297 - 447
Manchester Mariner
March 3, 2022, 11:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981
Captain Fantastic
8/10

Ben Cash, his wife Leslie and their six children live in the Washington wilderness. Ben and Leslie are former anarchist activists disillusioned with capitalism and American life, and chose to instill survivalist skills, left wing politics, and philosophy in their children - educating them to think critically, training them to be self-reliant, physically fit and athletic, guiding them without technology, demonstrating the beauty of coexisting with nature and celebrating Noam Chomsky's birthday instead of Christmas..

This was quirky and offbeat with some really good performances. It managed to avoid some of the cliches you may expect from this kind of caper but it was as mad as a box of frogs too but with the universal theme of love and family shining through.

Great film this. I went to see this on a whim at the cinema when it came out a few years ago as I had a few hours to kill and it's probably my favourite film of recent times. There are very few films that I go out of my way to rewatch but I've seen this a few times now and still love it.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 298 - 447
Sandford1981
March 3, 2022, 12:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Great film this. I went to see this on a whim at the cinema when it came out a few years ago as I had a few hours to kill and it's probably my favourite film of recent times. There are very few films that I go out of my way to rewatch but I've seen this a few times now and still love it.

I love it when you discover a film by chance or circumstance. There is definitely a lot to admire about it. I really like Vigo Mortensen anyway but George Mackay is good too. I love the idea of their lifestyle-Something very appealing and intoxicating about it. There’s a very good humour to it that I really enjoyed also.

Private Message
Reply: 299 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.