Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 186 Guests

Jolley has to go, and go now.

This thread currently has 21,705 views. Print
16 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
The Boys Paddock
April 27, 2019, 5:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
A fraud, a total fraud.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
April 27, 2019, 5:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,383
Gold Stars: 532
Harsh that, i was here today and yeah we were crap but we basically had a team of kids. That comes from fenty and a excrement budget. FENTY OUT
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 155
Sussexmariner
April 27, 2019, 5:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Thought the kids went back to school last week?

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 155
Marinerz93
April 27, 2019, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I wouldn't be that harsh with him, I just think he is out of his depth, failed promises, no pressing attacking football, the team just likes it is going though the motions, could that be most know they are on their way out or is it just the general malaise from boardroom down. I guess having a low budget is part of the problem.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 155
The Boys Paddock
April 27, 2019, 5:23pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
Harsh that, i was here today and yeah we were crap but we basically had a team of kids. That comes from fenty and a excrement budget. FENTY OUT

we didnt have a budget last year, Slade was sacked, why is this clown being given the benefit of the doubt?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 155
Garth
April 27, 2019, 5:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Agree need a complete shake up before the next season starts, only thing worth watching is the performance of the youngsters, Jolly out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 155
Roast Em Bobby
April 27, 2019, 5:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
...because he has also had us playing some of the best football we've played for ages at times. He also made a lot more decent signings than previous managers (Hess, Hendrie, Davis, Ohman, Embleton, Vernham and Thomas). Yes, he's made mistakes but it is his first full year as a manager, he's a bright guy imho and will have learnt a lot through the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 155
April 27, 2019, 5:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from The Boys Paddock
A fraud, a total fraud.

Have a day off don't be a pratt all your life.
Reply: 7 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
I thought his team and tactics were excrement today. More hoofball than Slade.

We lost easily to the second worst team in the league.

I fear that he could easily lead us out of the League next season.

He should be sacked for playing Woolford.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 155
MuddyWaters
April 27, 2019, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
A fraud, a total fraud.

I take it this is clickbait.

Our leading scorer has gone, we've been without a major signing all season, our signed skipper was a waste of space, our best loanee injured and we have more points than we did last year with what appears to be an uncompetitive budget. How much of this is Jolley's fault?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 155
moosey_club
April 27, 2019, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Gotta say after watching that 90+ mins i am more frustrated than ever.....for 15 mins we did well...pressed....were first to every second ball....won all individual battles....the only thing missing was some sort of attacking threat....no quality delivery from midfield and Rose looked like a lost kid in reality, he got sucked into to giving fouls away virtually every time we went forward.

Then we just stopped..County grew and bossed the next 70 mins without any problems....we only livened up again in the final few minutes which resulted in a consolation.

We need strikers and quality from midfield....from todays showing we have none in the squad right now at all.......we need someone who can deliver a decent dead ball.....every single time County got a free kick or corner the delivery was excellent and had us flapping. With the exception of a couple today our delivery was fking woeful.

I hope Notts County go down, after their gamesmanship today once they went a goal up i want them gone...ball boys not fetching the ball, players kicking the ball away etc etc.....but even more frustrating for me was the lack of complaints from our players....again the only urgency on this was in the very final few minutes when we started fetching the ball.

Without a big splurge in the summer and some proper quality in the attacking sense then its looking like a long old season.

Only positive for me today was the few glimpses of Max Wright, quick positive and forward looking.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 155
NorthseaMariner
April 27, 2019, 5:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
You really want to try another manager, who will have to assemble his squad again, on a poor budget no doubt.
Wise up, this is as good as it’s going to get with town given our club set up and budget. Until the day comes we either have investment and, or a new stadium this is where will stay, or perish the thought, lower.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 155
The Boys Paddock
April 27, 2019, 5:46pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I take it this is clickbait.

Our leading scorer has gone, we've been without a major signing all season, our signed skipper was a waste of space, our best loanee injured and we have more points than we did last year with what appears to be an uncompetitive budget. How much of this is Jolley's fault?

Thomas went because he thought the footabll was crap, Jolley signed Welsh, he brought in one of the best strikers in the division on loan and didnt play him, we have 2 points more than last year with a game to go, and lost more games this year than last....I would say all of it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 155
Grantham_Mariner
April 27, 2019, 5:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
He will be with us until Xmas whatever.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 155
Jarmo.Is.God
April 27, 2019, 5:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86

Thomas went because he thought the footabll was crap, Jolley signed Welsh, he brought in one of the best strikers in the division on loan and didnt play him, we have 2 points more than last year with a game to go, and lost more games this year than last....I would say all of it

Thomas hasn't gone...
Dennis has played in every game except 1 since signing...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 155
horsforthmariner
April 27, 2019, 5:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
This thread is barmy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Thomas hasn't gone...

Thomas has been told he won't play again. What part of that don't you understand?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 155
The Boys Paddock
April 27, 2019, 6:03pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Thomas hasn't gone...

from the start? Scored 20 plus in a relegated side last year....

apalling man management by Jolley, seen again today by picking Woolford from the start and not Wright....and dont get me started on Cardwell

he's a fraud
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 155
The Boys Paddock
April 27, 2019, 6:03pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Thomas has been told he won't play again. What part of that don't you understand?

plenty, what part of appalling man management by Jolley do you not understand?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
You really want to try another manager, who will have to assemble his squad again, on a poor budget no doubt.
Wise up, this is as good as it’s going to get with town given our club set up and budget. Until the day comes we either have investment and, or a new stadium this is where will stay, or perish the thought, lower.

Erm this squad is very poor we are going to need a shed load of players to stop us getting relegated next season whoever is manager
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker

plenty, what part of appalling man management by Jolley do you not understand?

Erm I never made any comment on how he has been managed in fact on what I have seen this season I don't rate Jolley as a manager and based on today's pile of crap it wouldn't bother me if he left.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 155
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 27, 2019, 6:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I believe in him, I think his biggest mistake this season was mid-season when we were in good form and he thought he could take advantage of that by switching to the style of play that he wanted to, with our transfer business being in that mindset and not signing anyone for an alternative style should that fail and leaving us overeliant on Embleton and Thomas for creativity and goals.

Its only something I can comment on in hignsight though, he could've pulled it off and I remember a few games where we looked like we might take to it and do well. We also don't know who he tried to sign and didn't get.

It could only take 2 or 3 signings to unlock the potential in the team its just whether we find them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 155
Bristol Mariner
April 27, 2019, 6:19pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
A fraud, a total fraud.

You Twit

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 155
Bristol Mariner
April 27, 2019, 6:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877

we didnt have a budget last year, Slade was sacked, why is this clown being given the benefit of the doubt?  

How are you Russell?

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 27, 2019, 6:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There are two sides to this.

Today ought not to be taken as typical for the simple reason the team on the park was picked partly because of absentees and partly to let the kids show what they can and cannot do in the real world of L2. It would be unreasonable to judge a team, players or manager in that situation especially when the other side were desperate for points.

On the other hand if you look at the season as a whole the manager has not impressed where it matters, on the playing side. People excuse him as being inexperienced but then say he is bright. Someone with his qualifications and intelligence should not take a full season to produce what looks something like he promised - pressing, urgent football aimed at creating chances. 40 odd games he has had to do that and let’s be honest if his name was Slade he would only have got 20 the way his side has played.

Yes, there have been several minutes of good football as some posters have said, involving some of the newer signings, is it really enough?

But it is all academic, Jolley will not be sacked. He will be allowed to sign players and start again in August. Unless things continue to go pear shaped for the first 10 games, he will be secure again until Christmas at the soonest.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 155
HertsGTFC
April 27, 2019, 6:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Jolley does seem to over complicate and think things but I reckon he’s like most managers in the bottom half of L2 knows what he has to do to improve things but is held back by the resources and players he has to work with.

I’m sure he’ll be the first to admit that this season has been a massive learning curve for him on and off the pitch one that at times he’s not dealt to well.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 155
lew chaterleys lover
April 27, 2019, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
...because he has also had us playing some of the best football we've played for ages at times. He also made a lot more decent signings than previous managers (Hess, Hendrie, Davis, Ohman, Embleton, Vernham and Thomas). Yes, he's made mistakes but it is his first full year as a manager, he's a bright guy imho and will have learnt a lot through the season.

I don't think that is right at all.

All of our better football is in areas that doesn't harm the opposition.

Players come and go, and on paper some are reasonable signings but no more than that.

Old matches come up on my You Tube feed all the time, and some of the players in there (in the league and the Conference) are a lot better than the current crop. If we could keep 11 that have passed through our hands in the last 10 years we would have a League 1 team at least.

A lot of this is not Jolley's fault, but the team he has assembled does not remotely look like the sort of team he promised. A huge re think is needed and most importantly of course a new boardroom of people who can get things done.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 155
Ipswin
April 27, 2019, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I don't know about Wright and the other youngsters but if we have to rely on Rose (or even if he is just part of a striker partnership next season) then God help us

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 155
Heisenberg
April 27, 2019, 6:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,035
Gold Stars: 93
He needs backing by us, the fans, and the club financially. I personally have faith. The spine is there. We need a creative midfielder (or two) and at least one striker. Maybe more, but we’ll improve next season.

Release Woolford and Collins, re-sign Whitmore and Davis.

Improvement absolutely demanded and expected next season. Jolley deserves a bigger budget, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 155
moosey_club
April 27, 2019, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Jolley does seem to over complicate and think things but I reckon he’s like most managers in the bottom half of L2 knows what he has to do to improve things but is held back by the resources and players he has to work with.

I’m sure he’ll be the first to admit that this season has been a massive learning curve for him on and off the pitch one that at times he’s not dealt to well.

Then he has to adapt what he wants to do....Notts County looked shite today in general play....for all the budget and profile players they have they still look like a Sam Allardyce/ Kev Nolan style side that plays for free kicks and corners...and then deliver those into dangerous areas...score a goal and then just disrupt play at every opportunity.....its awful to watch but their players knew what to do.....with our 2/3 different formations and systems today we didnt look like we knew what we were doing and resulted to lumping it up to a small inexperienced striker.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 155
denni266
April 27, 2019, 6:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
You can't judge jolly on today's show. Too many players missing. And a lot of people have been saying try the youths. And when he does they moan. But you can judge over the season. And to be honest it's not been anywhere near good enough. Two points more over the season is crap. And he seems to think that it is good enough.. Well its not Mr jolly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 155
jamesgtfc
April 27, 2019, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Rumours are that we have two players lined up already. All of this squad is his now due to contract renewals etc so no excuses there.

The most games Wes Thomas has played for a club is 50. He is a journeyman and doesn't stick around long so you have to ask yourself why. We got 13 goals out of him and we have to thank him for that and move on. John Welsh, signed as our captain, looked miles off the pace from day one but could time a sliding tackle. On paper it was a great signing but arguably a year or 2 too late. How much we knew about his alleged crime at the point of signing depends on how much you can blame MJ for that one.

We have the makings of a good squad in McKeown, Hendrie, Öhman, Clifton, Hessenthaler and Vernam. Whitehouse is an unknown quantity and Wright impressed today. We need at least 6/7 good signings across the pitch and MJ will be judged on those additions.

MJ joined in March last year and we didn't have an idea what division we would be in. His focus was the job in hand and couldn't start planning everything from signings to the pre-season schedule until after the Notts County game last season and he had to amass a whole new squad. There will undoubtedly be some players we have missed out on the last two windows that may be available again but MJ has had a full season to draw up his shortlist for the summer. Pressure is on to get it right and I hope he does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 155
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 27, 2019, 7:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from denni266
You can't judge jolly on today's show. Too many players missing. And a lot of people have been saying try the youths. And when he does they moan. But you can judge over the season. And to be honest it's not been anywhere near good enough. Two points more over the season is crap. And he seems to think that it is good enough.. Well its not Mr jolly

Think this statement is pretty much spot on. A significant majority of forum posters have wanted to see the younger generation given a chance & today he did that in part. It could be argued that Wright should have started in front of Woolford and in his interview on RH he confirmed Wright will start next week v Crewe and also said they had wanted to recall him sooner but regs prevented this. This is though in some ways an example of poor planning as the club should have ensured we were in a position to call him back as and when deemed appropriate.

I also agree with posters who feel MJ is probably guilty of over thinking tactical plans and perhaps making what should be a simple game too complicated. In addition for the umpteenth season our business in January made us weaker and not stronger and we have two seasons running left ourselves short of midfield players who I think would have helped us get better results, thinking of Rose & Pringle. We certainly missed Pringle on dead ball situations and Rose, whose form was never consistent, certainly had games when he was more asset than hindrance. The end of the season not helped by the fact that we lost Embleton, Cook and Thomas which was pretty much our entire attacking threat.

Key for me what has MJ learned this year and is he brave enough to share some of this with the fans? I would not expect him to deliver “Confessions of a football manager” but I believe it would help the relationship with fans if he clarified some of those aspects he had learned in his first season & the difference he has found between U23 coach/ Swedish experience and managing in L2.

Listening to him on RH he was pretty explicit that the 11 that start next season will be significantly different from the 11 that finish this season. He also confirmed that errors made today in respect of goals conceded only confirmed what they already knew and this makes me believe at least 2 of today’s back four will not be retained & given Hendrie has a contract that is actually 2 from 3.

Undoubtedly he has made some poor signings, but even the best managers are guilty of that, but the extension of Cardwell’s contract still remains the biggest mystery in my book. Anyway let’s see what the summer brings and pray that firstly, he has a more competitive budget and secondly, we adopt and put into effect the style and approach he promised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 155
MarinersOnTheUp
April 27, 2019, 7:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Were 17th, like it or not that's just about where our budget says we should be.

Sacking the manager now would be incredibly stupid. We'd just end up months behind everyone else in terms of preparation for next season which would them lead to another difficult season next year and everyone wanting the next manager sacked too. A big problem last summer is that due to the uncertainty and how late in the season Jolley was appointed, preparation for this season didn't start until after the season finished. Now were in a completely different situation, pre season training, friendlies, transfer shortlists etc have all been planned for months.

If we sacked Jolley, we'd be back to square one. It'd take weeks to find someone else, then if a new guy came in all that would go out of the window because he'd want to do things his way. We'd have no pre season schedule, no transfer targets and end up either rushing or feeding off scraps. It wouldn't work. We'd be in a much worse position. More to the point, I don't think there are any other decent managers out there that we could afford so we'd just end up with someone rubbish.

Chopping and changing managers all the time does not work, every club that does it ends up in big trouble/fighting relegation and we've already gone through too many managers in the last few years.

The best thing we could do is to keep Jolley and be patient.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 155
essexexile
April 27, 2019, 8:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
We are making progress
Last season we had to battle to stay up, this season we didn't
What more can you expect?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 27, 2019, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
I'm sorry but he baffles me...today we we're 2-0 down and what's he do....??..takes off Vernham and leaves Woolford on..beyond comprehension why he made that switch .. I'm not in the Jolley out camp as yet but in all honesty our football this year has generally been pretty woeful with a squad he assembled....and let's not forget he did sign every player, be it with new contracts or new to the club, and we have not perform on a consistent basis...and you can only blame 1/2 men for that....Jolley and limbrick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 155
chipsandgravy
April 27, 2019, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
No doubt we will have the "Jolley Out" banner on the flyover next.
Stick with the guy. Someone on here last year stated it could well take three/four transfer windows to mould a team based on the budgets available to him.. I think that may be right. Thats the benefit of giving someone time and I think we should give him that. He may still be cutting his teeth in this division but so did a number of (eventually) successful managers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 155
hheh2
April 27, 2019, 8:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
It's obvious MJ is already in preparation mode for next season we had 6 academy grads in play today and some players will be released over summer possibly.

The FA cup money and wage bill releases from this season will hopefully be put to good over the summer.

We know what we need: goal scoring striker.

Let's get one in!

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Resources have nothing really to do with tactics. We play a young forward that has hardly played many league games put him up front on his own then spend most of the game hoofing the ball up to him. I felt sorry for the lad as well as Vernam who hardly had a decent pass all day and this against one of the poorest teams in the league, we were lucky to get away with only conceding two.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 155
TAGG
April 27, 2019, 8:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Keep the bloke on.
Give him 8/10 games at the start of the season to get off
to a flyer and if he doesn't then get rid.
I can understand people's frustrations but he needs more time IMO
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 155
RichMariner
April 27, 2019, 9:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
We had the bare bones of a squad for today's game, with no experience whatsoever up top. I'm not going to judge Jolley on today's performance or result.

I think there are (quite rightly) question marks over his performance as manager throughout the season. I don't think he should go because I'm still unsure how that'll change the bigger picture. What we need is a miracle worker because the next manager will only face the same issues - a weak budget while reporting to a board with no vision and no succession planning.

You can ask why Jolley did business in such a way that it left us with the depleted squad we have today. You can ask whether he is tactically astute enough to succeed in this game. I don't blame fans for questioning his abilities.

But please can we be mindful that we've been here before. One failed manager leaves, another sorts out his mess and then gets the heave-ho for the next in line to sort out. Rinse and repeat.

It's this that's getting boring - never mind our recent brand of football - and there comes a point where you just have to say 'no, let's stick this time' because to keep twisting out of blind hope is no way to run a football club.

There is literally no other manager out there right now who will realistically come to Grimsby Town and guarantee improvement. Frankly, I'm getting tired of reading the same topics, the same rants, the same discussions that all eventually lead to you-know-who's stranglehold on the club, and until that changes our fortunes will remain the same.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 40 - 155
Rob_in_Grimsby
April 27, 2019, 9:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
If budget guaranteed league position then County would be near the top so I dont get some of the comments, MJ has had a budget good enough to be competitive but you do have to question some of the signings and decisions this season,
Letting our two most creative wide players leave at Xmas, signing Welsh who reportedly was one of the highest wage earners and not playing him, extending Vernam and Cardwells contracts for another season when neither have shown anything near good enough this season to warrant being in a L2 side.
MJ is obsessed with playing a system that requires wing backs and pace and we lack both with this team, Today was a fine example of his lack of experience, Chopping and changing formation with no clear plan of how to break county down, How Woolford gets in the team in beyond me and playing Rose up front on his own then hoofing the ball over his head all the time just does not work.
Lastly do we ever practice corners or set pieces because for weeks we either hit them a foot off the floor or so deep they go straight out of play, County today looked worlds apart from us a set pieces which really does worry me.
One positive today was Max coming on near the end and showing why he was so highly thought of at Boston.

I do fear a bit what MJ will do next season with what ever budget he is given based on some of the signings he has made this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 155
HertsGTFC
April 27, 2019, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Then he has to adapt what he wants to do....Notts County looked shite today in general play....for all the budget and profile players they have they still look like a Sam Allardyce/ Kev Nolan style side that plays for free kicks and corners...and then deliver those into dangerous areas...score a goal and then just disrupt play at every opportunity.....its awful to watch but their players knew what to do.....with our 2/3 different formations and systems today we didnt look like we knew what we were doing and resulted to lumping it up to a small inexperienced striker.

Like I say over thinking it rather than getting the ball and numbers Forward quickly

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
If budget guaranteed league position then County would be near the top so I dont get some of the comments, MJ has had a budget good enough to be competitive but you do have to question some of the signings and decisions this season,
Letting our two most creative wide players leave at Xmas, signing Welsh who reportedly was one of the highest wage earners and not playing him, extending Vernam and Cardwells contracts for another season when neither have shown anything near good enough this season to warrant being in a L2 side.
MJ is obsessed with playing a system that requires wing backs and pace and we lack both with this team, Today was a fine example of his lack of experience, Chopping and changing formation with no clear plan of how to break county down, How Woolford gets in the team in beyond me and playing Rose up front on his own then hoofing the ball over his head all the time just does not work.
Lastly do we ever practice corners or set pieces because for weeks we either hit them a foot off the floor or so deep they go straight out of play, County today looked worlds apart from us a set pieces which really does worry me.
One positive today was Max coming on near the end and showing why he was so highly thought of at Boston.

I do fear a bit what MJ will do next season with what ever budget he is given based on some of the signings he has made this season.

I agree.

One win in 12 is it? That must be relegation form, if after 10 games next season with his new players and we are in the same form then he surely has to go.

We can not have another Woods situation.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 155
Mrs Doyle
April 27, 2019, 9:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Approval: +4,859
A fraud, a total fraud.

FFS Have a day off pal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 27, 2019, 9:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
I'll mention one name in all this .. Daniel farke!!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 155
HertsGTFC
April 27, 2019, 9:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 155
SomeSanity
April 27, 2019, 9:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
For me MJ has done a good job with a meagre budget.

It has been a big learning curve for him, his first full season of first team management. At times he has got us playing some good football and other times bloody awful.

Where I think he has been naive is the formation. FGR opening game of the season we lined up exactly as England did in the WC and we all saw it didn’t work. He changed and we played relatively well, and we went back to it and for the second time .... it didn’t work .. what we didn’t have was a plan B. No wingers in the squad which is proven to work in L2..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 27, 2019, 9:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573

What about him?

Do you have him in mind to replace Jolley when the witch-hunt forces him out of Town?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 27, 2019, 9:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

?

Has just taken Norwich up to the premier league, under pressure at the end of last season, sold his best players, brought in freebies and outcasts, he had zero experience of the championship and the board stuck by him and allowed him time to get it sorted... does it ring any bells?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 155
Mrs Doyle
April 27, 2019, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Why not look at the common denominator Fenty and the board. Lack of investment is stagnated this club for years. What decent manager will come here knowing that? At least the youth are getting a look in unlike the other jokers in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Has just taken Norwich up to the premier league, under pressure at the end of last season, sold his best players, brought in freebies and outcasts, he had zero experience of the championship and the board stuck by him and allowed him time to get it sorted... does it ring any bells?!

We stuck by Woods and where did that get us?
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 27, 2019, 10:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

We stuck by Woods and where did that get us?

He took on a poisoned Challis at the time...we we're in a downward spiral that no one could stop... we'd tried sir Alan and he failed...all I'm saying is at the moment we are relatively stable, maybe this season MJ has learned not just how this league works but more importantly, how GTFC work.. I saw enough today to think we'll be okay next season ..as long as he f@cks Woolford off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 155
sydney
April 27, 2019, 10:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Have to give him 10 games next season but if there isn’t a big improvement in playing style and he is still trying to talk his way out of things in the post matches then time to bring to change
What about that fella who was sacked at Scunny as Manager when they was in the play offs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 155
sydney
April 27, 2019, 10:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Graham Alexander
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 155
Mariner_09
April 27, 2019, 10:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
What Jolley needs is proper backing and based on what JF said at the Trust Q&A is that he’ll be trusting Jolley with a bigger budget and I hope he keeps his word. 10-12 games into next season is when we can really judge Jolley as he will have a squad fully assembled by him and had 18 months to have tried to instill his methods, tactics and motivation on this squad. If we show some improvement (meaning top 10 or thereabouts) then I think we can say there’s reason to continue to back him. There’s still a huge amount of rubbish in that squad. For me, Macca, Hendrie, RHJ, Ohman, Hess, Vernam and arguably Clifton, Davis and Cook (as sporadic squad players) are good enough but the midfield desperately needs more creativity and physicality, the defence needs more athleticism and composure on the ball, the left wing back needs more of everything (pace, energy, defensive awareness and delivery) and most important the strikers need to be able to score more goals and offer an outlet better! We may have more players contracted for next season but some still aren’t good enough. I still believe Jolley has the capacity to sign some gems that nobody’s ever heard of but if we’re still messing around in 17th and below I’d happily hold my hands up and say he just isn’t cut out for it. It’s a big summer for everyone!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 155
sam gy
April 27, 2019, 10:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Quoted from Ipswin
I don't know about Wright and the other youngsters but if we have to rely on Rose (or even if he is just part of a striker partnership next season) then God help us

Ah, here we go.....

“Give the youth a chance” they cry.

Fast forward a few games and it appears that, shock horror, the youth won’t set the world alright instantly.

“The youth aren’t good enough.”

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 155
psgmariner
April 27, 2019, 10:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
If Jolley hadn’t kept us up last season and this was his first season at Grimsby then he would be gone by now. His great escape has kept him in a job.

Statistically he has been terrible and his signings have been more miss than hit. Welsh being the obvious mistake but the imbalanced squad and persisting with a system that doesn’t work are a a huge concern for me.

I think he has lots to learn as a manager and is far from the messiah but would give him next season. We are not going to attract a better manager in our current state so should stick with him and pray he keeps us up again.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 155
davmariner
April 27, 2019, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911

Sums up my worries.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 10:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker

He took on a poisoned Challis at the time...we we're in a downward spiral that no one could stop... we'd tried sir Alan and he failed...all I'm saying is at the moment we are relatively stable, maybe this season MJ has learned not just how this league works but more importantly, how GTFC work.. I saw enough today to think we'll be okay next season ..as long as he f@cks Woolford off

You must have had a different view from where I was sat.

All I saw was a team that lost 2-1 to the poorest team in the league, could have been more.

Dreadful defending, a midfield that cannot create chances, not one player that can take a decent free kick or corner and no forwards that looks like they would get more than a couple of goals in a whole season and hoof ball tactics.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 155
chaos33
April 27, 2019, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
2-1 wasn't it?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 155
davmariner
April 27, 2019, 10:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
I don’t understand the people saying he should be given 8-10 games next season. Why would we give him the whole budget to spend in the summer to bring his players in and then get rid after 10 games? Surely if we’re going to get rid it has to be now. Or we give him until at least jan.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 155
chaos33
April 27, 2019, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
There's no way he's going to be sacked. People need to get real. Let's just see who signs in the summer and go from there. It's alright talking about giving him 8-10 games next season, but every single manager would be under pressure if they had a bad run in that spell of games so  crack on I say...
Clear lessons from this season and a crying need for a better budget.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 155
Mrs Doyle
April 27, 2019, 11:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Please enlighten me where this new mesiah is coming from who can storm the league next season???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 155
promotion plaice
April 27, 2019, 11:22pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Mr Fenty admitted this seasons budget for players wasn't big enough......let's see if he is true to his word and backs Jolley a bit more in the summer.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 155
chicaneuk
April 28, 2019, 12:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
People fantasising about ousting Jolley have lost the plot, frankly. Yes, our form in the last few months has been frustrating and worrying.

But we took a gamble on a relatively young, inexperienced manager. It's clear that he's doing a lot of his learning in this job and that he's still rough around the edges.

But in Jolley we have, firstly, a clearly intelligent guy. Clearly a decent guy. He's taken a strong interest in local affairs. He is keen to promote youth into the club in a way that no manager has done years. Has tried to introduce some stability into the team with longer contract terms.

This season we've had some fantastic games.. the way we played at Palace will be forever etched into my mind, for example. The most passionate game of football I've seen town play in years. So clearly he's able to motivate the players, and put together a competitive team.. I think he's been the circumstance however of some bad luck, and some bad decisions. But he has to be given time to learn and improve. I'm more than happy for him to have next season and, if by Christmas we're in trouble, then we need to re-evaluate. But for me, at this point, sacking him would be an unfathomable and short sighted decision.

We were pretty terrible today though.. apart from a good spell at the start and of course the goal towards the end, we looked clueless. And as I say, I won't dispute these kinds of performances are rather concerning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 28, 2019, 6:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

All I saw was a team that lost 2-1 to the poorest team in the league, could have been more.

Dreadful defending, a midfield that cannot create chances, not one player that can take a decent free kick or corner and no forwards that looks like they would get more than a couple of goals in a whole season and hoof ball tactics.

So, you didn't see Max Wright, Burrell, Grayson's curler go just over, Whitmore hardly putting a foot wrong, RHJ winning just about every header, Hess and Clifton battling,...
I know we weren't our best yesterday and Jolley got the contract extension of Cardwell completely wrong but there was enough to say that 2-3 players ie, striker, creative midfielder( in the Embleton mould) and, inmho, a keeper who can distribute the ball better or at the very least push Macca for the shirt...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 155
1mickylyons
April 28, 2019, 6:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,381
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I wonder if he sees the Season being a disapointment though like I do? Since we reagined league status I have felt league 2 has been very poor barring the odd decent side and any half capable side could achieve the play offs . Our first Season we had a squeak of a chance despite numerous changes etc and Bignot decided it wasnt for him and boosh the wheels came off a bit. This league is very poor and I dont see anything coming up or down that will change it and sadly I dont see Town getting any nearer to the Play Offs at this time under MJ . These losing streaks worry me also I would think if you lose 3 straight games most Manager`s would change something to ensure they avoid defeat and this lack of experience we have put it down to has now gone. The blokes had a full season after performing a miracle last he talks a good game so lets see him deliver.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 155
1mickylyons
April 28, 2019, 7:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Mr Fenty admitted this seasons budget for players wasn't big enough......let's see if he is true to his word and backs Jolley a bit more in the summer.

Why do I visualize JF with his hand down the sofa rooting about for a 50p piece?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 155
1mickylyons
April 28, 2019, 7:05am
Special Brew Drinker

So, you didn't see Max Wright, Burrell, Grayson's curler go just over, Whitmore hardly putting a foot wrong, RHJ winning just about every header, Hess and Clifton battling,...
I know we weren't our best yesterday and Jolley got the contract extension of Cardwell completely wrong but there was enough to say that 2-3 players ie, striker, creative midfielder( in the Embleton mould) and, inmho, a keeper who can distribute the ball better or at the very least push Macca for the shirt...

Sounds great however our defence conceded 2 goals to a team so wretched it hasn`t got out the bottom two for Months and it took us over 90 mins to get a consolation goal.Not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 155
GrimRob
April 28, 2019, 7:05am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
When was the last time sacking a manager had a positive effect? MJ is doing better than his predecessor although the last few months doesn't feel like it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 70 - 155
1mickylyons
April 28, 2019, 7:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
When was the last time sacking a manager had a positive effect? MJ is doing better than his predecessor although the last few months doesn't feel like it.

I still think he`s worth a shout personally but he needs to hit the ground running a bad start and the knives will be out Rob.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 28, 2019, 7:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sounds great however our defence conceded 2 goals to a team so wretched it hasn`t got out the bottom two for Months and it took us over 90 mins to get a consolation goal.Not good enough.

In all fairness their first goal was more luck than bad defending, it flicked off , I think Davis's leg, and fell to a striker who is far better than league 2.. the second was calamitous I'll give you that..but given we did miss Ohman in the centre of that defence who no doubt would have got his head on that....
Still maintain Jolley needs some guidance, he has the brains but seems to be somewhat unable to see his own mistakes...poor substitutions and a lack of a workable plan B...
I would say 75% of this squad are good league 2 players and 25% are conference level at best and if MJ can't get a tune out of them, then he has to admit to himself that for all his badges and ambition he just hasn't got what it takes to be a football league manager and maybe go back to coaching the young guns...
What I will not accept is that he never, ever admits to getting it wrong..even yesterday in his post match interview he laid the blame at the players feet...but who bought/signed them,set them up and sent them out on to the pitch?..yes, MJ... he's got it wrong more times than he's got it right and needs to hold his hands up and admit it...a good tradesman never blames his tools,...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 155
1mickylyons
April 28, 2019, 8:04am
Special Brew Drinker

In all fairness their first goal was more luck than bad defending, it flicked off , I think Davis's leg, and fell to a striker who is far better than league 2.. the second was calamitous I'll give you that..but given we did miss Ohman in the centre of that defence who no doubt would have got his head on that....
Still maintain Jolley needs some guidance, he has the brains but seems to be somewhat unable to see his own mistakes...poor substitutions and a lack of a workable plan B...
I would say 75% of this squad are good league 2 players and 25% are conference level at best and if MJ can't get a tune out of them, then he has to admit to himself that for all his badges and ambition he just hasn't got what it takes to be a football league manager and maybe go back to coaching the young guns...
What I will not accept is that he never, ever admits to getting it wrong..even yesterday in his post match interview he laid the blame at the players feet...but who bought/signed them,set them up and sent them out on to the pitch?..yes, MJ... he's got it wrong more times than he's got it right and needs to hold his hands up and admit it...a good tradesman never blames his tools,...

The last 3-4 games though have been free hits for Town they knew they had 1200 fans at yesterdays game we not be bold and adventurous. They had done the hard part keeping it to 0-0 after 20 mins and flattening the crowd we should have been at their throats and took them on in an end to end game.The football is boring and predictable and when you put the results on top of that it`s all very disheartening I watch for new signings hoping for a miracle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 28, 2019, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The last 3-4 games though have been free hits for Town they knew they had 1200 fans at yesterdays game we not be bold and adventurous. They had done the hard part keeping it to 0-0 after 20 mins and flattening the crowd we should have been at their throats and took them on in an end to end game.The football is boring and predictable and when you put the results on top of that it`s all very disheartening I watch for new signings hoping for a miracle.

Absolutely I agree with you and the fault has to lay at Jolleys door...if he doesn't change his approach, which I doubt he will, I honestly believe a more attacking minded manager could get thus squad firing.
All I am saying is the majority of our squad are not bad players, to me, they are just badly played..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 155
1mickylyons
April 28, 2019, 8:44am
Special Brew Drinker

Absolutely I agree with you and the fault has to lay at Jolleys door...if he doesn't change his approach, which I doubt he will, I honestly believe a more attacking minded manager could get thus squad firing.
All I am saying is the majority of our squad are not bad players, to me, they are just badly played..

I agree I think we have some good players and mostly young but they are not being played to their strengths at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 155
Ipswin
April 28, 2019, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Ah, here we go.....

“Give the youth a chance” they cry.

Fast forward a few games and it appears that, shock horror, the youth won’t set the world alright instantly.

“The youth aren’t good enough.”

I have never cried 'give youth a chance', in fact with the exception perhaps of Clifton I don't think any of our youth are ready or good enough.

As far as Rose is concerned posters on here constantly refer to his speed. Sadly if that's all he's got he isn't going to be our star striker or even our star strikers partner.

We've invested a lot in him, waited for his clearance but I'm afraid he just hasn't got it and is massively over-rated

As far as Clifton is concerned 'performs well in moderate company' could well be applied to his performances this year. Next season will hopefully tell.

Private Message
Reply: 76 - 155
Ipswin
April 28, 2019, 8:49am
Vodka Drinker

Which is a good reason (in Fenty's mind) not to give him a lot of money. Would you risk a larger budget on Jolley? If he blows it all and felicitations it up there won't be anything left for the new man in January

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 155
Hagrid
April 28, 2019, 9:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,383
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Ipswin

I have never cried 'give youth a chance', in fact with the exception perhaps of Clifton I don't think any of our youth are ready or good enough.

As far as Rose is concerned posters on here constantly refer to his speed. Sadly if that's all he's got he isn't going to be our star striker or even our star strikers partner.

We've invested a lot in him, waited for his clearance but I'm afraid he just hasn't got it and is massively over-rated

As far as Clifton is concerned 'performs well in moderate company' could well be applied to his performances this year. Next season will hopefully tell.

Spot on for me Ipswin, i havent seen anything from Rose thus far, yes maybe we as fans expect too much too soon but he isnt 17 years old, he’s near enough 21, has to be showing more for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 155
Croxton
April 28, 2019, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33

Contrast with Neil Warnock's open admission that he played it wrong yesterday and said he only had praise for his players. All we got from MJ was 'players not doing their jobs'. Do Limbrick and Moore get a say in the debrief? Was it necessary to say that the team next season will be very different to the one that finishes this one? Rather mealy mouthed about the Wright/ Boston saga too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 28, 2019, 10:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Contrast with Neil Warnock's open admission that he played it wrong yesterday and said he only had praise for his players. All we got from MJ was 'players not doing their jobs'. Do Limbrick and Moore get a say in the debrief? Was it necessary to say that the team next season will be very different to the one that finishes this one? Rather mealy mouthed about the Wright/ Boston saga too.

It is only a feeling, I have no proof, but I sense the manager has more than a few off-field issues on his mind.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 155
ROKERITE
April 28, 2019, 10:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425

It is only a feeling, I have no proof, but I sense the manager has more than a few off-field issues on his mind.

Is that feeling based on anything? Are there rumours going around the Grimsby area that, being up on Wearside, I'm unaware of?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 28, 2019, 11:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ROKERITE

Is that feeling based on anything? Are there rumours going around the Grimsby area that, being up on Wearside, I'm unaware of?

No not really. I don't have contacts at the club. It is just his body language and the way his approach to interviews has changed over the past few weeks. There isn't the same openness and affability that we saw even under pressure last year.

Private Message
Reply: 82 - 155
MuddyWaters
April 28, 2019, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Worth noting that Harry Clifton has been playing with an injury for around 6 weeks.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 11:42am
Barley Wine Drinker

No not really. I don't have contacts at the club. It is just his body language and the way his approach to interviews has changed over the past few weeks. There isn't the same openness and affability that we saw even under pressure last year.

My understanding from my contact is that there were several players involved in the Thomas affair at least one backed up MJ.

I was also informed he is not very well liked by some of the admin staff.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 155
April 28, 2019, 11:50am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Worth noting that Harry Clifton has been playing with an injury for around 6 weeks.

Also worth noting rose is playing through an injury, he was clearly in a bit of pain last Monday, grimacing and feeling his leg etc , hence why he hasn't opened up the taps more. Anyone that has watched him play pre injury will know that he is indeed very fast, you could put the fastest player in the world in this team but unless you play the right Football you won't reap the rewards. Lumping aerial balls up to rose isn't how he should be played!
Reply: 85 - 155
promotion plaice
April 28, 2019, 11:50am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from arryarryarry

My understanding from my contact is that there were several players involved in the Thomas affair at least one backed up MJ.

I was also informed he is not very well liked by some of the admin staff.

It's Cloughy at Leeds all over again  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 155
jonnyboy82
April 28, 2019, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Fraud maybe a bit harsh but I'm struggling to see the progression under his non existent attacking football.

Serious questions to be had but being a a manager under this board must be like having herpes.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 155
mariner91
April 28, 2019, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260

This is the bit that concerns me. He spent all pre-season trying to set us up for a formation that he didn't sign the right players to play. So either he doesn't fully recognise what's needed in the team for the formation to work or he's not pragmatic enough to play to the strengths of his squad. Both of these attributes are worrying.

I'm not calling for him to go as who else would come in? But he's got a lot to prove.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 155
golfer
April 28, 2019, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115

Could be on his final warning. May have been told that he had to improve on Bignot and Slade, so I presume he is a very worried man. Maybe already "laser lediga kolumner"in Sweden.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139847

Also worth noting rose is playing through an injury, he was clearly in a bit of pain last Monday, grimacing and feeling his leg etc , hence why he hasn't opened up the taps more. Anyone that has watched him play pre injury will know that he is indeed very fast, you could put the fastest player in the world in this team but unless you play the right Football you won't reap the rewards. Lumping aerial balls up to rose isn't how he should be played!

That's exactly what we were saying, playing a player who doesn't look fit on his own up front then just hoofing it up to him.

Pointless tactics.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 155
devs
April 28, 2019, 2:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
What worries me is we have no identity
Neither a direct team (Lincoln) or a decent footballing team (Bury, MK)

Hence we fall between two stools all the time and poss why he tinkers with formations so much

Say what you like about Slade MK1 - and I wasn't a huge fans of the style - we had an identity, we were 442, long ball, play off Jones to Reddy etc etc

Lincoln - awful to watch but they are very good at what they do... direct, bullying style, with very good L2 players to do the job in both boxes

It's pragmatic and almost anti-football in terms of entertainment but it works and players know what they have to do

Lumping balls to Rose is pointless; we are always taking the pace out of the game by going backwards or sideways; 352 only works with fast and attack-minded full backs (Fox was the man for that).

You need the players but also they need to be set free in a system that works

Unless he solves that puzzle it will be more of the same next season I fear
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 155
Bigdog
April 28, 2019, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'm pretty sure MJ's game plan wasn't lump long balls to Rose yesterday. It has more to do with our players not being good enough as a unit to carry out instructions under pressure and due to lack of composure or confidence have to resort to long balls to get the ball clear. Game plans go out of the window if player for player your team is not able to win their individual battles. We've just got a squad short on quality with six or seven than can be part of a decent League Two team as long as the other four or five are of better standard than the ones we've got.

At the minute I'd assess that we've got the following starters for a team looking to make the play-offs..

Macca
Hendrie
Hess
Vernam
Ohman
One of Whitmore or Davis

Squad players

Clifton
One of Whitmore or Davis
RHJ
Rose
Cook
Russell
Whitehouse?
Wright (raw pace and direct running was very impressive yesterday)

Development / loan out for experience, assess after pre-season

Pollock
Buckley
Burrell
Curran
Battersby
McPherson

Probably/definitely not good enough

Cardwell
Ring
Collins
Woolford

One left footed centre half, defensive left sided player, attacking players on both sides, at least two centre mids, at least two strikers, that's eight at least needed and five of them need to be of a better standard than the best we've got already. Massive job for MJ to find them and probably nigh on impossible due to budget constraints unless one or two of the kids blossom over the summer..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 28, 2019, 2:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm pretty sure MJ's game plan wasn't lump long balls to Rose yesterday. It has more to do with our players aren't good enough to carry out instructions and have to resort to long balls to get the ball clear. Game plans go out of the window if player for player your team is not able to win their individual battles. We've just got a squad short on quality with six or seven than can be part of a decent League Two team as long as the other four or five are of better standard than the ones we've got.

At the minute I'd assess that we've got the following starters for a team looking to make the play-offs..

Macca
Hendrie
Hess
Vernam
Ohman
One of Whitmore or Davis

Squad players

Clifton
One of Whitmore or Davis
RHJ
Rose
Cook
Russell
Whitehouse?

Pollock
Buckley
Burrell
Curran
Battersby
McPherson

Cardwell
Ring
Collins
Woolford

One left footed centre half, defensive left sided player, attacking players on both sides, at least two centre mids, at least two strikers, that's eight at least needed and five of them need to be of a better standard than the best we've got already. Massive job for MJ to find them and probably nigh on impossible due to budget constraints unless one or two of the kids blossom over the summer..

Nice post but one glaring mistake for me....until Macca learns to release the ball quicker and stops holding the ball and sending all and sundry up to the half way line then hoofing it aimlessly in to the crowd we'll never play quick counter attacking football. ..
I know I'll be shot for this, but imho opinion, and I've said it before, this was the first thing Marcus Bignott addressed when he brought in Henderson....yes, Macca is probably the best shot stopper in league 2 but he has many failings and I still think we need better to play the sort of football MJ keeps telling us he wants to play..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 155
marinerdazza
April 28, 2019, 2:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Well I was reasonably upbeat after the Carlisle game. Really thought I’d seen enough to show that we had a good base to work from next year and despite the rumblings, the players threw themselves at everything and certainly didn’t look like a side who weren’t arsed.

Admittedly I didn’t go to Notts County. But having read this thread, I am depressed as intercourse.

Ah well. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Notts also put three past both Stevenage and Carlisle in the past month or so.... what does that say about those teams?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 95 - 155
Ipswin
April 28, 2019, 4:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Notts also put three past both Stevenage and Carlisle in the past month or so.... what does that say about those teams?

It says they are shite as well as us. Does that make us look or feel any better?

Private Message
Reply: 96 - 155
Stadium
April 28, 2019, 5:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19

Above ourselves in the league,still outside chance of the play offs.
Far more potential next season.
Will their fans be discussing a loss to Notts County ??

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It says they are shite as well as us. Does that make us look or feel any better?

It made me realise that just because we conceded twice we're not the only team that Notts have scored against...even those chasing play-off spots are inconsistent

Most teams at this level are pretty much of a muchness ( the same as the league above us too to be honest ) and no team is guaranteed anything from one week to the next
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 98 - 155
Stadium
April 28, 2019, 5:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19

It made me realise that just because we conceded twice we're not the only team that Notts have scored against...even those chasing play-off spots are inconsistent

Most teams at this level are pretty much of a muchness ( the same as the league above us too to be honest ) and no team is guaranteed anything from one week to the next

??
Is that apart from teams that have a clear plan,on and off the field i.e Lincoln?

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 155
rancido
April 28, 2019, 5:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96

Nice post but one glaring mistake for me....until Macca learns to release the ball quicker and stops holding the ball and sending all and sundry up to the half way line then hoofing it aimlessly in to the crowd we'll never play quick counter attacking football. ..
I know I'll be shot for this, but imho opinion, and I've said it before, this was the first thing Marcus Bignott addressed when he brought in Henderson....yes, Macca is probably the best shot stopper in league 2 but he has many failings and I still think we need better to play the sort of football MJ keeps telling us he wants to play..

For all his ability as a "reaction shot stopper " Macca has two main weaknesses which hamper us. His distribution is awful and IMO that is indisputable. He also has no command of his six yard area which is crucial in set pieces. I'm convinced , and have been for some time, that his inability to consistently deal with crosses into the six yard area has lead to the defenders thinking " should I stick or twist " when it comes down to dealing with them. I know a lot of fans think he is the best goalie in our division , a view I don't share , but his aerial dominance is his " Achilles's heel".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

??
Is that apart from teams that have a clear plan,on and off the field i.e Lincoln?

I stand by what I said

For every Lincoln that may have a clear plan there are many more who clearly don't
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 101 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 28, 2019, 5:46pm
Special Brew Drinker

I stand by what I said

For every Lincoln that may have a clear plan there are many more who clearly don't

Who cares if other clubs have a clear plan or a crap plan? All that matters is whether we have one. We should stop looking at other clubs and get our own house in order.

Private Message
Reply: 102 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Who cares if other clubs have a clear plan or a crap plan? All that matters is whether we have one. We should stop looking at other clubs and get our own house in order.

Maybe Jolley should just  Ask Alexa  if it's that simple  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 103 - 155
rancido
April 28, 2019, 6:26pm

Special Brew Drinker

I know what you mean RRFC but a lot of posters on here use " other clubs " as a yardstick on how we should run things.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 28, 2019, 6:30pm
Special Brew Drinker

Maybe Jolley should just  Ask Alexa  if it's that simple  

Well he might get a better answer from her than from the boardroom!

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm pretty sure MJ's game plan wasn't lump long balls to Rose yesterday. It has more to do with our players not being good enough as a unit to carry out instructions under pressure and due to lack of composure or confidence have to resort to long balls to get the ball clear. Game plans go out of the window if player for player your team is not able to win their individual battles. We've just got a squad short on quality with six or seven than can be part of a decent League Two team as long as the other four or five are of better standard than the ones we've got.

Macca
Hendrie
Hess
Vernam
Ohman
One of Whitmore or Davis

Squad players

Clifton
One of Whitmore or Davis
RHJ
Rose
Cook
Russell
Whitehouse?

Pollock
Buckley
Burrell
Curran
Battersby
McPherson

Cardwell
Ring
Collins
Woolford

I'm not sure we have got that many.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker

To be honest FOOW I'm not that bothered who or how many goals they have score against other teams, they were bottom and up to yesterday the worst team in the league and at times looked the worst team in the league but could easily have score 4 that was how bad we were.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp
Were 17th, like it or not that's just about where our budget says we should be.

Sacking the manager now would be incredibly stupid. We'd just end up months behind everyone else in terms of preparation for next season which would them lead to another difficult season next year and everyone wanting the next manager sacked too. A big problem last summer is that due to the uncertainty and how late in the season Jolley was appointed, preparation for this season didn't start until after the season finished. Now were in a completely different situation, pre season training, friendlies, transfer shortlists etc have all been planned for months.

If we sacked Jolley, we'd be back to square one. It'd take weeks to find someone else, then if a new guy came in all that would go out of the window because he'd want to do things his way. We'd have no pre season schedule, no transfer targets and end up either rushing or feeding off scraps. It wouldn't work. We'd be in a much worse position. More to the point, I don't think there are any other decent managers out there that we could afford so we'd just end up with someone rubbish.

Chopping and changing managers all the time does not work, every club that does it ends up in big trouble/fighting relegation and we've already gone through too many managers in the last few years.

The best thing we could do is to keep Jolley and be patient.

Interesting comment, similar to many I have seen so seeing as you seem to know definitively would you like to expand on that and tell us exactly what our budget is compared to the rest of the clubs in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 155
1mickylyons
April 29, 2019, 6:48am
Special Brew Drinker

You quoted me out of context I was pointing out to another poster our excellent defence which he was praising isn`t really that excellent if conceding 2 goals to the league`s worst team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 155
nealeardleyscrossing
April 29, 2019, 6:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Quoted from devs
What worries me is we have no identity
Neither a direct team (Lincoln) or a decent footballing team (Bury, MK)

Hence we fall between two stools all the time and poss why he tinkers with formations so much

Say what you like about Slade MK1 - and I wasn't a huge fans of the style - we had an identity, we were 442, long ball, play off Jones to Reddy etc etc

Lincoln - awful to watch but they are very good at what they do... direct, bullying style, with very good L2 players to do the job in both boxes

It's pragmatic and almost anti-football in terms of entertainment but it works and players know what they have to do

Lumping balls to Rose is pointless; we are always taking the pace out of the game by going backwards or sideways; 352 only works with fast and attack-minded full backs (Fox was the man for that).

You need the players but also they need to be set free in a system that works

Unless he solves that puzzle it will be more of the same next season I fear

You obviously have very little knowledge of how we have been playing in you think we have been direct.
As for bullying teams, I would again look at how many cards, fouls we have committed compared to other teams etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 155
topuphere666
April 29, 2019, 7:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Quoted from rancido

I know what you mean RRFC but a lot of posters on here use " other clubs " as a yardstick on how we should run things.

And rightly so, we’ve tried to have a plan over the last god knows how many years and nothing’s changed, we’re in a cycle of excrement currently and nothing will change. We’re doing the same thing over and over again expecting different outcomes. It’s insanity.

Why shouldn’t we look at the model of Lincoln? Regardless of them being our closest rivals this season, any team winning the league should be researched and they’re model looked into for our own gain. Granted the FA cup run has helped but they’ve kept the momentum and got the whole community involved.

Changes are needed but we know changes won’t happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 155
golfer
April 29, 2019, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker

But we ARE consistent.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 155
April 29, 2019, 8:54am
Guest User
A fraud, a total fraud.

You are talking absolute rubbish!  UTM.

Reply: 113 - 155
buckstown
April 29, 2019, 9:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Consistency will eventually lead to success. It's a building process and if you give most managers the time they'll get it right. If they're clever enough they'll work out who is good enough and which system is most effective.  While you can argue that many new managers give a short term lift, sacking them every few months is a disaster and we should stick with MJ and let him build
I'm never quite sure when you really have to pull the trigger but we're definitely not at that stage yet with this manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 155
arryarryarry
April 29, 2019, 10:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from buckstown
Consistency will eventually lead to success. It's a building process and if you give most managers the time they'll get it right. If they're clever enough they'll work out who is good enough and which system is most effective.  While you can argue that many new managers give a short term lift, sacking them every few months is a disaster and we should stick with MJ and let him build
I'm never quite sure when you really have to pull the trigger but we're definitely not at that stage yet with this manager

Of course employing a new manager is a gamble but it is a gamble keeping a manager especially when the team is playing so poorly. One win in 12 games is relegation form.

I keep harping back to the Woods saga, the biggest gamble of all dramatically failed and cost the club over 3 million pounds and our League status.

If Jolley continues in the same form next season he has to go.

He has to get his new signings spot on or his first job in League management will be a failure and we cannot risk dropping out of the League again.

Let's hope he gets it right.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 29, 2019, 11:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from buckstown

Consistency of what? Low budgets? Yes, tick, we have that alright. Playing style? Oh dear! Not really, what happens on the park rarely mirrors what is said in the pre-match press conference, team changes are bewilderingly rapid, the most consistent item about the play is the Hurst like way players revert to Route One at the drop of a hat.

By all means let the man build but to build well, after 12 months you should have established good foundations in recruitment and playing methods but we look as though we are going to need a lot more breeze blocks in the summer before we even start on the architecture. Despite all our optimism in youth, I cannot honestly say this year's construction programme has yet provided a good foundation. Can you?

He has a dozen or so league games to show real progress and if not, then we have to move on without him.

Private Message
Reply: 116 - 155
April 29, 2019, 11:31am
Guest User

Agree, but think Clifton is a key player too. His energy, effort and dogged reluctance to give up coupled with what I believe is a very good footballing brain means he is essential, and he will only get better with age - needs to improve his range of passing as I often see him spotting runs/players/balls that no one else does, he just doesn't quite have the execution dialled yet...

Reply: 117 - 155
Ipswin
April 29, 2019, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Did anyone hear the interview with the two Orient owners (one of whom is a Texan who didn't know why he invested in an English (non) league team but he's 100% committed and loving it especially with the travelling fans) on Talksport this morning

They described the set up they have in place with a director of football who not only works with (I emphasise with) Edinburgh but runs and organises all the junior sides, Orient football courses / activities abroad (two in the US and one in Denmark this summer) plus all the other on and off field activities and publicity.

If only we were set up like that with a bloke who could do 10% of what he does and two forward thinking owners

Private Message
Reply: 118 - 155
toontown
April 29, 2019, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,272
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 139847

Agree, but think Clifton is a key player too. His energy, effort and dogged reluctance to give up coupled with what I believe is a very good footballing brain means he is essential, and he will only get better with age - needs to improve his range of passing as I often see him spotting runs/players/balls that no one else does, he just doesn't quite have the execution dialled yet...

Spot on. His passing is a weakness but he has the vision to spot opportunities, if he can improve his passing we will have a real player on our hands
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 155
Bigdog
April 29, 2019, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin
Did anyone hear the interview with the two Orient owners (one of whom is a Texan who didn't know why he invested in an English (non) league team but he's 100% committed and loving it especially with the travelling fans) on Talksport this morning

They described the set up they have in place with a director of football who not only works with (I emphasise with) Edinburgh but runs and organises all the junior sides, Orient football courses / activities abroad (two in the US and one in Denmark this summer) plus all the other on and off field activities and publicity.

If only we were set up like that with a bloke who could do 10% of what he does and two forward thinking owners

Totally agree, but no-one's interested in investing in lower league or Conference clubs.. apparently. Yet I can think of at least ten clubs in the past couple of years that have attracted those "non-existent" potential investors and one down the road that found thirteen. And anyway, even if any of our board had bumped into him on Victoria Street as they were busily looking for investment, they'd have refused the Texan because he wasn't born within the sound of the St James bells..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 29, 2019, 1:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Interesting that Edinburgh is described by Orient as their Head Coach. He is not the club manager. A week or two back I posted that I thought Jolley was much more a Director Of Football type than a traditional club manager. He could do that overview job very well and we could have a head coach dedicated to 3 points a game for the first team.

The other point is location though, Leyton is not salubrious but it is well placed so there is a more obvious potential than Grimsby - not necessarily better but more obvious. The investment by the chairman’s pal makes you wonder why our owner seems to be Johnny-No-Mates.

Private Message
Reply: 121 - 155
golfer
April 29, 2019, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Spot on. His passing is a weakness but he has the vision to spot opportunities, if he can improve his passing we will have a real player on our hands

Passing is the absolute basic.If you can't kick a ball to where you intend to kick it to you shouldn't be a professional footballer. It's like saying if he could ride he would be a good jockey.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 29, 2019, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You quoted me out of context I was pointing out to another poster our excellent defence which he was praising isn`t really that excellent if conceding 2 goals to the league`s worst team

I don't really think I was quoting out of context 1ML.... just adding my thoughts to whether or not Town were any good on Saturday and I just compared us to how some of their previous opponents had fared recently

It's all about opinions so guess we'll just have to agree to differ on whether we had anything positive to take from our day out at Notts or not  

Quoted from arryarryarry

Quoted from 1mickylyons

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 123 - 155
MuddyWaters
April 29, 2019, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I heard it but it's all about investing in the right people and having the right mind-set.

Which is difficult when your owner has spent spunked his cash over 15 years and now wants some of it back.
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 29, 2019, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I heard it but it's all about investing in the right people and having the right mind-set.

Which is difficult when your owner has spent spunked his cash over 15 years and now wants some of it back.

The first thing I thought of when I heard Leyton had been promoted was what sort of a welcome reception Justin Edinburgh might get when he brings his team up to Blundell Park!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 125 - 155
Ipswin
April 29, 2019, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker

The first thing I thought of when I heard Leyton had been promoted was what sort of a welcome reception Justin Edinburgh might get when he brings his team up to Blundell Park!

You'll have to explain that one to me!

Private Message
Reply: 126 - 155
golfer
April 29, 2019, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
I can't wait to hear the applause for Craig Clay.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 155
arryarryarry
April 29, 2019, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

You'll have to explain that one to me!

Can't be certain but may be Foow was referring to his meltdown when at BP If I remember correctly a game was abandoned because of fog when his side were winning 1-0.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 29, 2019, 8:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Can't be certain but may be Foow was referring to his meltdown when at BP If I remember correctly a game was abandoned because of fog when his side were winning 1-0.

That’s what I was referring to Arry....Edinburgh was not best pleased with our chairman as was

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....tm_campaign=sharebar
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 129 - 155
rancido
April 29, 2019, 8:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Eddie Howe at Bournemouth  only experience of coaching had been their Under 18's when he was elevated to first team caretaker manager on New Years Eve 2008 and he was only 31. I'm sure he made a lot of mistakes and bad signings on the way but look where Bournemouth are now? Not that I'm saying MJ is another Howe but he has to be given chance to have a full squad who are ALL his signings and not some who are extensions to contracts just to ensure some stability.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 155
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2019, 11:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

The other point is location though, Leyton is not salubrious but it is well placed so there is a more obvious potential than Grimsby - not necessarily better but more obvious. The investment by the chairman’s pal makes you wonder why our owner seems to be Johnny-No-Mates.

It is compared to NEL nowadays. When we played there the other year you could see the area had gentrified since we rubbed shoulders with them a decade or three ago.

Your last sentance is a very interesting thought.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 155
hheh2
April 30, 2019, 12:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Jolley has to go.. get more decent high quality players.

I'd say we need two midfielders similar to Hess, one to help him out to go alongside Whitehouse or Clifton and the other as backup.

Two strikers that can effect games. An Amond/Matt type combo because we are league two and it works. Vernam/McCallum(Eastleigh)?

Danny Collins is not first team so a replacement is needed for him.

RHJ is cover for right wingback but who is cover for left wingback?

Loans to facilitate injuries.

Are we keeping the 532, does it work in league two?

End of the day if you have money you have the better players, having better players helps.

Poojah's fishy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 155
Ipswin
April 30, 2019, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

FFS who's going to remember, even less care, about that Anyway I'm not surprised at his attitude, quite understandable, be nice if Jolley was as animated sometimes

Private Message
Reply: 133 - 155
Ipswin
April 30, 2019, 10:13am
Vodka Drinker

Edinburgh was not best pleased with our chairman as was

Bit like a lot of people on here then

Private Message
Reply: 134 - 155
sam gy
April 30, 2019, 11:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477

I live in Leytonstone/a ten minute walk from the ground…as others have mentioned both Leytonstone and Leyton are starting to get gentrified, like a lot of East London already has. It’s now seen as a nice area to live in…especially for first time buyers/younger professional couples

It’s in Zone 3 and on the Central Line. One stop to Stratford (massive Westfield Shopping Centre/Olympic Village – loads going on and right next to trendy Hackney Wick), 4 stops to Liverpool Street (Shoreditch/The City) and a few more stops then you’re in Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Circus/Soho/Covent Garden area. If you go east on the Central Line then you’re in the nice/desirable leafy areas of Essex.

I love Grimsby with all my heart, of course. But we haven’t got a leg to stand on in comparison, if we’re trying to tempt players/managers away from the likes of Orient, unless they actively want to move north, or we can offer more money....or we'remore successful than them!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 155
devs
April 30, 2019, 12:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
I'd say we need two midfielders similar to Hess, one to help him out to go alongside Whitehouse or Clifton and the other as backup.

I think this is the last thing we need - more runners in the team
We need creativity, killer pass, service to forwards

More brain and less brawn!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 155
1mickylyons
April 30, 2019, 12:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

FFS who's going to remember, even less care, about that Anyway I'm not surprised at his attitude, quite understandable, be nice if Jolley was as animated sometimes

The blokes a twit Swin he also got a Town fan in the Main Stand chucked out .JE offered the fan`s behind the dugout a fight when one came forward to take up his offer his bottle went and the fan got taken away by Police. Numerous other home supporters in that area then also got involved and make no mistake JE caused this and he was the one who should have been chucked out.Of course some people may have forgotten about this but luckily this serves as a reminder  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 155
chrissy
April 30, 2019, 12:51pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from sam gy

I live in Leytonstone/a ten minute walk from the ground…as others have mentioned both Leytonstone and Leyton is starting to get gentrified, like a lot of East London already has. It’s now seen as a nice area to live in…especially for first time buyers/younger professional couples

It’s in Zone 3 and on the Central Line. One stop to Stratford (massive Westfield Shopping Centre/Olympic Village – loads going on and right next to trendy Hackney Wick), 4 stops to Liverpool Street (Shoreditch/The City) and a few more stops then you’re in Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Circus/Soho/Covent Garden area. If you go east on the Central Line then you’re in the nice/desirable leafy areas of Essex.

I love Grimsby with all my heart, of course. But we haven’t got a leg to stand on in comparison, if we’re trying to tempt players/managers away from the likes of Orient, unless they actively want to move north, or we can offer more money.)

The last player we signed from Leyton Orient was Ronnie Foster he signed on the morning of the match we had in London, Maybe he had not visited the Grimsby area before     he did stay for a while and enjoyed it here and was a good player for us.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 155
rancido
April 30, 2019, 12:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

You mean be more like Danny Cowley ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 155
Bigdog
April 30, 2019, 1:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

What? Ruthless and a winner? We'll have none of his sort at GTFC..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 155
rancido
April 30, 2019, 1:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

What? Ruthless and a winner? We'll have none of his sort at GTFC..

Well judging by comments on here about his ways and attitude , a lot of posters wouldn't entertain him at GTFC.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 155
Nutsy
April 30, 2019, 1:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
I agree with everything you're saying, apart from Jolley. He has to stay, we are not a big glamorous club that will attract Chinese Investors, we need to stick with a young manager, who in their first full season ensured a pretty dire team stay up in League football. We may not go up next season but all the good PR of him can't be all hot air.

We see who we recruit and how we do next season, chopping and changing managers is not the solution.

Quoted from hheh2
Jolley has to go.. get more decent high quality players.

Two strikers that can effect games. An Amond/Matt type combo because we are league two and it works. Vernam/McCallum(Eastleigh)?

Danny Collins is not first team so a replacement is needed for him.

RHJ is cover for right wingback but who is cover for left wingback?

Loans to facilitate injuries.

Are we keeping the 532, does it work in league two?

End of the day if you have money you have the better players, having better players helps.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 155
arryarryarry
April 30, 2019, 2:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy
I agree with everything you're saying, apart from Jolley. He has to stay, we are not a big glamorous club that will attract Chinese Investors, we need to stick with a young manager, who in their first full season ensured a pretty dire team stay up in League football. We may not go up next season but all the good PR of him can't be all hot air.

We see who we recruit and how we do next season, chopping and changing managers is not the solution.

That is a pretty damning indictment of basically his team and tactics.
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 155
GrimRob
April 30, 2019, 3:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
How long does it take to learn the job? It was arguably a lot easier in the old days when players moved around less but we've had quite a few managers who have cut their teeth here and ended up with success here or bigger jobs elsewhere (Laws, Buckley, Slade, Hurst). The problem is in this division you have to be really crap to go down, so it's perfectly possible for managers to just tread water and end up with a succession of mid-table finishes, thereby keeping their job for a relatively long time.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 144 - 155
golfer
April 30, 2019, 3:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I'd sooner have Danny Cowley than the shite we've had lately
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 155
pen penfras
April 30, 2019, 7:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Nutsy

On balance, I agree that he should stay, but "has to stay" is pushing it. If he got sacked, then I don't think he could have too many complaints, his list of mistakes this season is huge. And the most unforgivable one as far as I'm concerned is spending the entire pre season setting up to play a formation that he didn't sign the players capable of playing this system. Not only that, but didn't sign the players to play virtually any attacking system. Then we got to February and the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation that had seen us go on a good run gets ditched to go back to the system that we still don't have the players to fit into it, then go on another appalling run.

If Slade had done this, he would be wanted out by everybody. We were shite under Slade but we haven't been much better this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 155
Ipswin
April 30, 2019, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Well judging by comments on here about his ways and attitude , a lot of posters wouldn't entertain him at GTFC.

If his ways are winning ones (which they are) that's all I care about and I'd have him like a shot. Nicy nicy attitude wins nowt

Private Message
Reply: 147 - 155
Civvy at last
April 30, 2019, 9:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Ipswin

If his ways are winning ones (which they are) that's all I care about and I'd have him like a shot. Nicy nicy attitude wins nowt

Yes. I suppose it would be nice for you if we won both the games you actually attend each season.  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 155
Ipswin
April 30, 2019, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

Yes. I suppose it would be nice for you if we won both the games you actually attend each season.  

It would be nice if they won one of the fornicators

Private Message
Reply: 149 - 155
hheh2
April 30, 2019, 10:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy

I didnt say Jolley has to leave, it's meant to read Jilley has to go get decent players

Poojah's fishy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 155
1mickylyons
May 1, 2019, 7:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

On balance, I agree that he should stay, but "has to stay" is pushing it. If he got sacked, then I don't think he could have too many complaints, his list of mistakes this season is huge. And the most unforgivable one as far as I'm concerned is spending the entire pre season setting up to play a formation that he didn't sign the players capable of playing this system. Not only that, but didn't sign the players to play virtually any attacking system. Then we got to February and the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation that had seen us go on a good run gets ditched to go back to the system that we still don't have the players to fit into it, then go on another appalling run.

If Slade had done this, he would be wanted out by everybody. We were shite under Slade but we haven't been much better this season.

The lack of game time for Vernam my biggest gripe when he was along with Embleton our most creative player?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 155
Madeleymariner
May 1, 2019, 9:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The lack of game time for Vernam
my biggest gripe when he was along with Embleton our most creative player?

Who could have been sat on the beach last Saturday he was so anonymous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 155
arryarryarry
May 2, 2019, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Who could have been sat on the beach last Saturday he was so anonymous

Woolford could have been on the beach next to him but it was Vernam who was taken off????

Woolford was garbage against Colchester and cost us the game, he was dropped for the next game but brought on and again was rubbish  and was crap again last Saturday. If he starts this Saturday then Jolley can sod off.
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 155
monkeyboy
May 2, 2019, 3:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
So based on some peoples theory on here there should be another 20 managers in league 2 that should be sacked this year because there team was not succesful?
It takes time and sometimes a fair bit of it to build a winning team, the budget is not great and i do not expect it to get much better next season so what do you do? yes you promote and grow from within the youth ranks.
When taking this route it takes time for your seeds to grow and seeing as we dont have an instant fix to buy and spend then this has to be the way forwards.
Jolley clearly sees this and is promoting the youth, lets face it some of the bigger wages this season have been wasted in what have been gambles, gambles in the shape of Welsh etc that on paper should have been leading lights in this division. its also unfortunate that Whitehouse has missed the entire season and that could have changed the season as for me the midfield has been the weakest part as we just never created from there.
Im finding Ipswins comments on Akheem Rose comical and cowardly to insult a young player who has been playing with injury and a urine poor service from the midfield. The lad has played less than a handful of games, clearly has something and does have pace but if you dont get the service what can you do? Denting their confidence before they have even started is rediculous.  About time you support the player rather than ridicule him.
I have looked at some of the performances this year and we have looked dreadful but then looked at some and we have been immense, its league 2 and its full of teams that are inconsistent. Once we find that couple of players in the team that can create a little we will be up there.
We have improved on last year the points tally indicates that plus the fact that foundations are being put into place is encouraging.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 155
rancido
May 2, 2019, 3:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy
So based on some peoples theory on here there should be another 20 managers in league 2 that should be sacked this year because there team was not succesful?
It takes time and sometimes a fair bit of it to build a winning team, the budget is not great and i do not expect it to get much better next season so what do you do? yes you promote and grow from within the youth ranks.
When taking this route it takes time for your seeds to grow and seeing as we dont have an instant fix to buy and spend then this has to be the way forwards.
Jolley clearly sees this and is promoting the youth, lets face it some of the bigger wages this season have been wasted in what have been gambles, gambles in the shape of Welsh etc that on paper should have been leading lights in this division. its also unfortunate that Whitehouse has missed the entire season and that could have changed the season as for me the midfield has been the weakest part as we just never created from there.
Im finding Ipswins comments on Akheem Rose comical and cowardly to insult a young player who has been playing with injury and a urine poor service from the midfield. The lad has played less than a handful of games, clearly has something and does have pace but if you dont get the service what can you do? Denting their confidence before they have even started is rediculous.  About time you support the player rather than ridicule him.
I have looked at some of the performances this year and we have looked dreadful but then looked at some and we have been immense, its league 2 and its full of teams that are inconsistent. Once we find that couple of players in the team that can create a little we will be up there.
We have improved on last year the points tally indicates that plus the fact that foundations are being put into place is encouraging.

How very dare you to come on this site with such a balanced and sensible post!!!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 155
16 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.