Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 219 Guests

Jolley has to go, and go now.

This thread currently has 21,695 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 139847

Also worth noting rose is playing through an injury, he was clearly in a bit of pain last Monday, grimacing and feeling his leg etc , hence why he hasn't opened up the taps more. Anyone that has watched him play pre injury will know that he is indeed very fast, you could put the fastest player in the world in this team but unless you play the right Football you won't reap the rewards. Lumping aerial balls up to rose isn't how he should be played!

That's exactly what we were saying, playing a player who doesn't look fit on his own up front then just hoofing it up to him.

Pointless tactics.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 155
devs
April 28, 2019, 2:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
What worries me is we have no identity
Neither a direct team (Lincoln) or a decent footballing team (Bury, MK)

Hence we fall between two stools all the time and poss why he tinkers with formations so much

Say what you like about Slade MK1 - and I wasn't a huge fans of the style - we had an identity, we were 442, long ball, play off Jones to Reddy etc etc

Lincoln - awful to watch but they are very good at what they do... direct, bullying style, with very good L2 players to do the job in both boxes

It's pragmatic and almost anti-football in terms of entertainment but it works and players know what they have to do

Lumping balls to Rose is pointless; we are always taking the pace out of the game by going backwards or sideways; 352 only works with fast and attack-minded full backs (Fox was the man for that).

You need the players but also they need to be set free in a system that works

Unless he solves that puzzle it will be more of the same next season I fear
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 155
Bigdog
April 28, 2019, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'm pretty sure MJ's game plan wasn't lump long balls to Rose yesterday. It has more to do with our players not being good enough as a unit to carry out instructions under pressure and due to lack of composure or confidence have to resort to long balls to get the ball clear. Game plans go out of the window if player for player your team is not able to win their individual battles. We've just got a squad short on quality with six or seven than can be part of a decent League Two team as long as the other four or five are of better standard than the ones we've got.

At the minute I'd assess that we've got the following starters for a team looking to make the play-offs..

Macca
Hendrie
Hess
Vernam
Ohman
One of Whitmore or Davis

Squad players

Clifton
One of Whitmore or Davis
RHJ
Rose
Cook
Russell
Whitehouse?
Wright (raw pace and direct running was very impressive yesterday)

Development / loan out for experience, assess after pre-season

Pollock
Buckley
Burrell
Curran
Battersby
McPherson

Probably/definitely not good enough

Cardwell
Ring
Collins
Woolford

One left footed centre half, defensive left sided player, attacking players on both sides, at least two centre mids, at least two strikers, that's eight at least needed and five of them need to be of a better standard than the best we've got already. Massive job for MJ to find them and probably nigh on impossible due to budget constraints unless one or two of the kids blossom over the summer..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 28, 2019, 2:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm pretty sure MJ's game plan wasn't lump long balls to Rose yesterday. It has more to do with our players aren't good enough to carry out instructions and have to resort to long balls to get the ball clear. Game plans go out of the window if player for player your team is not able to win their individual battles. We've just got a squad short on quality with six or seven than can be part of a decent League Two team as long as the other four or five are of better standard than the ones we've got.

At the minute I'd assess that we've got the following starters for a team looking to make the play-offs..

Macca
Hendrie
Hess
Vernam
Ohman
One of Whitmore or Davis

Squad players

Clifton
One of Whitmore or Davis
RHJ
Rose
Cook
Russell
Whitehouse?
Wright (raw pace and direct running was very impressive yesterday)

Development / loan out for experience, assess after pre-season

Pollock
Buckley
Burrell
Curran
Battersby
McPherson

Probably/definitely not good enough

Cardwell
Ring
Collins
Woolford

One left footed centre half, defensive left sided player, attacking players on both sides, at least two centre mids, at least two strikers, that's eight at least needed and five of them need to be of a better standard than the best we've got already. Massive job for MJ to find them and probably nigh on impossible due to budget constraints unless one or two of the kids blossom over the summer..

Nice post but one glaring mistake for me....until Macca learns to release the ball quicker and stops holding the ball and sending all and sundry up to the half way line then hoofing it aimlessly in to the crowd we'll never play quick counter attacking football. ..
I know I'll be shot for this, but imho opinion, and I've said it before, this was the first thing Marcus Bignott addressed when he brought in Henderson....yes, Macca is probably the best shot stopper in league 2 but he has many failings and I still think we need better to play the sort of football MJ keeps telling us he wants to play..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 155
marinerdazza
April 28, 2019, 2:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Well I was reasonably upbeat after the Carlisle game. Really thought I’d seen enough to show that we had a good base to work from next year and despite the rumblings, the players threw themselves at everything and certainly didn’t look like a side who weren’t arsed.

Admittedly I didn’t go to Notts County. But having read this thread, I am depressed as intercourse.

Ah well. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sounds great however our defence conceded 2 goals to a team so wretched it hasn`t got out the bottom two for Months and it took us over 90 mins to get a consolation goal.Not good enough.

Notts also put three past both Stevenage and Carlisle in the past month or so.... what does that say about those teams?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 95 - 155
Ipswin
April 28, 2019, 4:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Notts also put three past both Stevenage and Carlisle in the past month or so.... what does that say about those teams?

It says they are shite as well as us. Does that make us look or feel any better?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 155
Stadium
April 28, 2019, 5:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19

Above ourselves in the league,still outside chance of the play offs.
Far more potential next season.
Will their fans be discussing a loss to Notts County ??

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Ipswin

It says they are shite as well as us. Does that make us look or feel any better?

It made me realise that just because we conceded twice we're not the only team that Notts have scored against...even those chasing play-off spots are inconsistent

Most teams at this level are pretty much of a muchness ( the same as the league above us too to be honest ) and no team is guaranteed anything from one week to the next
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 98 - 155
Stadium
April 28, 2019, 5:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19

It made me realise that just because we conceded twice we're not the only team that Notts have scored against...even those chasing play-off spots are inconsistent

Most teams at this level are pretty much of a muchness ( the same as the league above us too to be honest ) and no team is guaranteed anything from one week to the next

??
Is that apart from teams that have a clear plan,on and off the field i.e Lincoln?

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 155
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.