Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 271 Guests

Jolley has to go, and go now.

This thread currently has 21,700 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 28, 2019, 5:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Nice post but one glaring mistake for me....until Macca learns to release the ball quicker and stops holding the ball and sending all and sundry up to the half way line then hoofing it aimlessly in to the crowd we'll never play quick counter attacking football. ..
I know I'll be shot for this, but imho opinion, and I've said it before, this was the first thing Marcus Bignott addressed when he brought in Henderson....yes, Macca is probably the best shot stopper in league 2 but he has many failings and I still think we need better to play the sort of football MJ keeps telling us he wants to play..

For all his ability as a "reaction shot stopper " Macca has two main weaknesses which hamper us. His distribution is awful and IMO that is indisputable. He also has no command of his six yard area which is crucial in set pieces. I'm convinced , and have been for some time, that his inability to consistently deal with crosses into the six yard area has lead to the defenders thinking " should I stick or twist " when it comes down to dealing with them. I know a lot of fans think he is the best goalie in our division , a view I don't share , but his aerial dominance is his " Achilles's heel".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Stadium

??
Is that apart from teams that have a clear plan,on and off the field i.e Lincoln?

I stand by what I said

Most teams at this level are pretty much of a muchness ( the same as the league above us too to be honest ) and no team is guaranteed anything from one week to the next

For every Lincoln that may have a clear plan there are many more who clearly don't
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 101 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 28, 2019, 5:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I stand by what I said

Most teams at this level are pretty much of a muchness ( the same as the league above us too to be honest ) and no team is guaranteed anything from one week to the next

For every Lincoln that may have a clear plan there are many more who clearly don't

Who cares if other clubs have a clear plan or a crap plan? All that matters is whether we have one. We should stop looking at other clubs and get our own house in order.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 155
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37

Who cares if other clubs have a clear plan or a crap plan? All that matters is whether we have one. We should stop looking at other clubs and get our own house in order.

Maybe Jolley should just  Ask Alexa  if it's that simple  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 103 - 155
rancido
April 28, 2019, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96

I know what you mean RRFC but a lot of posters on here use " other clubs " as a yardstick on how we should run things.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 28, 2019, 6:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Maybe Jolley should just  Ask Alexa  if it's that simple  

Well he might get a better answer from her than from the boardroom!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm pretty sure MJ's game plan wasn't lump long balls to Rose yesterday. It has more to do with our players not being good enough as a unit to carry out instructions under pressure and due to lack of composure or confidence have to resort to long balls to get the ball clear. Game plans go out of the window if player for player your team is not able to win their individual battles. We've just got a squad short on quality with six or seven than can be part of a decent League Two team as long as the other four or five are of better standard than the ones we've got.

At the minute I'd assess that we've got the following starters for a team looking to make the play-offs..

Macca
Hendrie
Hess
Vernam
Ohman
One of Whitmore or Davis

Squad players

Clifton
One of Whitmore or Davis
RHJ
Rose
Cook
Russell
Whitehouse?
Wright (raw pace and direct running was very impressive yesterday)

Development / loan out for experience, assess after pre-season

Pollock
Buckley
Burrell
Curran
Battersby
McPherson

Probably/definitely not good enough

Cardwell
Ring
Collins
Woolford

One left footed centre half, defensive left sided player, attacking players on both sides, at least two centre mids, at least two strikers, that's eight at least needed and five of them need to be of a better standard than the best we've got already. Massive job for MJ to find them and probably nigh on impossible due to budget constraints unless one or two of the kids blossom over the summer..

I'm not sure we have got that many.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Notts also put three past both Stevenage and Carlisle in the past month or so.... what does that say about those teams?

To be honest FOOW I'm not that bothered who or how many goals they have score against other teams, they were bottom and up to yesterday the worst team in the league and at times looked the worst team in the league but could easily have score 4 that was how bad we were.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 155
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp
Were 17th, like it or not that's just about where our budget says we should be.

Sacking the manager now would be incredibly stupid. We'd just end up months behind everyone else in terms of preparation for next season which would them lead to another difficult season next year and everyone wanting the next manager sacked too. A big problem last summer is that due to the uncertainty and how late in the season Jolley was appointed, preparation for this season didn't start until after the season finished. Now were in a completely different situation, pre season training, friendlies, transfer shortlists etc have all been planned for months.

If we sacked Jolley, we'd be back to square one. It'd take weeks to find someone else, then if a new guy came in all that would go out of the window because he'd want to do things his way. We'd have no pre season schedule, no transfer targets and end up either rushing or feeding off scraps. It wouldn't work. We'd be in a much worse position. More to the point, I don't think there are any other decent managers out there that we could afford so we'd just end up with someone rubbish.

Chopping and changing managers all the time does not work, every club that does it ends up in big trouble/fighting relegation and we've already gone through too many managers in the last few years.

The best thing we could do is to keep Jolley and be patient.

Interesting comment, similar to many I have seen so seeing as you seem to know definitively would you like to expand on that and tell us exactly what our budget is compared to the rest of the clubs in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 155
1mickylyons
April 29, 2019, 6:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56

It made me realise that just because we conceded twice we're not the only team that Notts have scored against...even those chasing play-off spots are inconsistent

You quoted me out of context I was pointing out to another poster our excellent defence which he was praising isn`t really that excellent if conceding 2 goals to the league`s worst team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 155
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.