Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 301 Guests

Jolley has to go, and go now.

This thread currently has 21,710 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
nealeardleyscrossing
April 29, 2019, 6:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from devs
What worries me is we have no identity
Neither a direct team (Lincoln) or a decent footballing team (Bury, MK)

Hence we fall between two stools all the time and poss why he tinkers with formations so much

Say what you like about Slade MK1 - and I wasn't a huge fans of the style - we had an identity, we were 442, long ball, play off Jones to Reddy etc etc

Lincoln - awful to watch but they are very good at what they do... direct, bullying style, with very good L2 players to do the job in both boxes

It's pragmatic and almost anti-football in terms of entertainment but it works and players know what they have to do

Lumping balls to Rose is pointless; we are always taking the pace out of the game by going backwards or sideways; 352 only works with fast and attack-minded full backs (Fox was the man for that).

You need the players but also they need to be set free in a system that works

Unless he solves that puzzle it will be more of the same next season I fear

You obviously have very little knowledge of how we have been playing in you think we have been direct.
As for bullying teams, I would again look at how many cards, fouls we have committed compared to other teams etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 155
topuphere666
April 29, 2019, 7:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from rancido

I know what you mean RRFC but a lot of posters on here use " other clubs " as a yardstick on how we should run things.

And rightly so, we’ve tried to have a plan over the last god knows how many years and nothing’s changed, we’re in a cycle of excrement currently and nothing will change. We’re doing the same thing over and over again expecting different outcomes. It’s insanity.

Why shouldn’t we look at the model of Lincoln? Regardless of them being our closest rivals this season, any team winning the league should be researched and they’re model looked into for our own gain. Granted the FA cup run has helped but they’ve kept the momentum and got the whole community involved.

Changes are needed but we know changes won’t happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 155
golfer
April 29, 2019, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

It made me realise that just because we conceded twice we're not the only team that Notts have scored against...even those chasing play-off spots are inconsistent

Most teams at this level are pretty much of a muchness ( the same as the league above us too to be honest ) and no team is guaranteed anything from one week to the next

But we ARE consistent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 155
April 29, 2019, 8:54am
Guest User
Quoted from The Boys Paddock
A fraud, a total fraud.

You are talking absolute rubbish!  UTM.

Reply: 113 - 155
buckstown
April 29, 2019, 9:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
Consistency will eventually lead to success. It's a building process and if you give most managers the time they'll get it right. If they're clever enough they'll work out who is good enough and which system is most effective.  While you can argue that many new managers give a short term lift, sacking them every few months is a disaster and we should stick with MJ and let him build
I'm never quite sure when you really have to pull the trigger but we're definitely not at that stage yet with this manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 155
arryarryarry
April 29, 2019, 10:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from buckstown
Consistency will eventually lead to success. It's a building process and if you give most managers the time they'll get it right. If they're clever enough they'll work out who is good enough and which system is most effective.  While you can argue that many new managers give a short term lift, sacking them every few months is a disaster and we should stick with MJ and let him build
I'm never quite sure when you really have to pull the trigger but we're definitely not at that stage yet with this manager

Of course employing a new manager is a gamble but it is a gamble keeping a manager especially when the team is playing so poorly. One win in 12 games is relegation form.

I keep harping back to the Woods saga, the biggest gamble of all dramatically failed and cost the club over 3 million pounds and our League status.

If Jolley continues in the same form next season he has to go.

He has to get his new signings spot on or his first job in League management will be a failure and we cannot risk dropping out of the League again.

Let's hope he gets it right.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 155
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 29, 2019, 11:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from buckstown

Consistency of what? Low budgets? Yes, tick, we have that alright. Playing style? Oh dear! Not really, what happens on the park rarely mirrors what is said in the pre-match press conference, team changes are bewilderingly rapid, the most consistent item about the play is the Hurst like way players revert to Route One at the drop of a hat.

By all means let the man build but to build well, after 12 months you should have established good foundations in recruitment and playing methods but we look as though we are going to need a lot more breeze blocks in the summer before we even start on the architecture. Despite all our optimism in youth, I cannot honestly say this year's construction programme has yet provided a good foundation. Can you?

He has a dozen or so league games to show real progress and if not, then we have to move on without him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 155
April 29, 2019, 11:31am
Guest User
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Nice post but one glaring mistake for me....until Macca learns to release the ball quicker and stops holding the ball and sending all and sundry up to the half way line then hoofing it aimlessly in to the crowd we'll never play quick counter attacking football. ..
I know I'll be shot for this, but imho opinion, and I've said it before, this was the first thing Marcus Bignott addressed when he brought in Henderson....yes, Macca is probably the best shot stopper in league 2 but he has many failings and I still think we need better to play the sort of football MJ keeps telling us he wants to play..

Agree, but think Clifton is a key player too. His energy, effort and dogged reluctance to give up coupled with what I believe is a very good footballing brain means he is essential, and he will only get better with age - needs to improve his range of passing as I often see him spotting runs/players/balls that no one else does, he just doesn't quite have the execution dialled yet...

Reply: 117 - 155
Ipswin
April 29, 2019, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Did anyone hear the interview with the two Orient owners (one of whom is a Texan who didn't know why he invested in an English (non) league team but he's 100% committed and loving it especially with the travelling fans) on Talksport this morning

They described the set up they have in place with a director of football who not only works with (I emphasise with) Edinburgh but runs and organises all the junior sides, Orient football courses / activities abroad (two in the US and one in Denmark this summer) plus all the other on and off field activities and publicity.

If only we were set up like that with a bloke who could do 10% of what he does and two forward thinking owners

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 155
toontown
April 29, 2019, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 139847

Agree, but think Clifton is a key player too. His energy, effort and dogged reluctance to give up coupled with what I believe is a very good footballing brain means he is essential, and he will only get better with age - needs to improve his range of passing as I often see him spotting runs/players/balls that no one else does, he just doesn't quite have the execution dialled yet...

Spot on. His passing is a weakness but he has the vision to spot opportunities, if he can improve his passing we will have a real player on our hands
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 155
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.