Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 140 Guests

Jolley has to go, and go now.

This thread currently has 21,702 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
April 27, 2019, 6:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
You can't judge jolly on today's show. Too many players missing. And a lot of people have been saying try the youths. And when he does they moan. But you can judge over the season. And to be honest it's not been anywhere near good enough. Two points more over the season is crap. And he seems to think that it is good enough.. Well its not Mr jolly
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 155
jamesgtfc
April 27, 2019, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Rumours are that we have two players lined up already. All of this squad is his now due to contract renewals etc so no excuses there.

The most games Wes Thomas has played for a club is 50. He is a journeyman and doesn't stick around long so you have to ask yourself why. We got 13 goals out of him and we have to thank him for that and move on. John Welsh, signed as our captain, looked miles off the pace from day one but could time a sliding tackle. On paper it was a great signing but arguably a year or 2 too late. How much we knew about his alleged crime at the point of signing depends on how much you can blame MJ for that one.

We have the makings of a good squad in McKeown, Hendrie, Öhman, Clifton, Hessenthaler and Vernam. Whitehouse is an unknown quantity and Wright impressed today. We need at least 6/7 good signings across the pitch and MJ will be judged on those additions.

MJ joined in March last year and we didn't have an idea what division we would be in. His focus was the job in hand and couldn't start planning everything from signings to the pre-season schedule until after the Notts County game last season and he had to amass a whole new squad. There will undoubtedly be some players we have missed out on the last two windows that may be available again but MJ has had a full season to draw up his shortlist for the summer. Pressure is on to get it right and I hope he does.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 155
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 27, 2019, 7:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,684
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from denni266
You can't judge jolly on today's show. Too many players missing. And a lot of people have been saying try the youths. And when he does they moan. But you can judge over the season. And to be honest it's not been anywhere near good enough. Two points more over the season is crap. And he seems to think that it is good enough.. Well its not Mr jolly

Think this statement is pretty much spot on. A significant majority of forum posters have wanted to see the younger generation given a chance & today he did that in part. It could be argued that Wright should have started in front of Woolford and in his interview on RH he confirmed Wright will start next week v Crewe and also said they had wanted to recall him sooner but regs prevented this. This is though in some ways an example of poor planning as the club should have ensured we were in a position to call him back as and when deemed appropriate.

I also agree with posters who feel MJ is probably guilty of over thinking tactical plans and perhaps making what should be a simple game too complicated. In addition for the umpteenth season our business in January made us weaker and not stronger and we have two seasons running left ourselves short of midfield players who I think would have helped us get better results, thinking of Rose & Pringle. We certainly missed Pringle on dead ball situations and Rose, whose form was never consistent, certainly had games when he was more asset than hindrance. The end of the season not helped by the fact that we lost Embleton, Cook and Thomas which was pretty much our entire attacking threat.

Key for me what has MJ learned this year and is he brave enough to share some of this with the fans? I would not expect him to deliver “Confessions of a football manager” but I believe it would help the relationship with fans if he clarified some of those aspects he had learned in his first season & the difference he has found between U23 coach/ Swedish experience and managing in L2.

Listening to him on RH he was pretty explicit that the 11 that start next season will be significantly different from the 11 that finish this season. He also confirmed that errors made today in respect of goals conceded only confirmed what they already knew and this makes me believe at least 2 of today’s back four will not be retained & given Hendrie has a contract that is actually 2 from 3.

Undoubtedly he has made some poor signings, but even the best managers are guilty of that, but the extension of Cardwell’s contract still remains the biggest mystery in my book. Anyway let’s see what the summer brings and pray that firstly, he has a more competitive budget and secondly, we adopt and put into effect the style and approach he promised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 155
MarinersOnTheUp
April 27, 2019, 7:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Were 17th, like it or not that's just about where our budget says we should be.

Sacking the manager now would be incredibly stupid. We'd just end up months behind everyone else in terms of preparation for next season which would them lead to another difficult season next year and everyone wanting the next manager sacked too. A big problem last summer is that due to the uncertainty and how late in the season Jolley was appointed, preparation for this season didn't start until after the season finished. Now were in a completely different situation, pre season training, friendlies, transfer shortlists etc have all been planned for months.

If we sacked Jolley, we'd be back to square one. It'd take weeks to find someone else, then if a new guy came in all that would go out of the window because he'd want to do things his way. We'd have no pre season schedule, no transfer targets and end up either rushing or feeding off scraps. It wouldn't work. We'd be in a much worse position. More to the point, I don't think there are any other decent managers out there that we could afford so we'd just end up with someone rubbish.

Chopping and changing managers all the time does not work, every club that does it ends up in big trouble/fighting relegation and we've already gone through too many managers in the last few years.

The best thing we could do is to keep Jolley and be patient.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 155
essexexile
April 27, 2019, 8:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
We are making progress
Last season we had to battle to stay up, this season we didn't
What more can you expect?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 155
Northbank Mariner
April 27, 2019, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
I'm sorry but he baffles me...today we we're 2-0 down and what's he do....??..takes off Vernham and leaves Woolford on..beyond comprehension why he made that switch .. I'm not in the Jolley out camp as yet but in all honesty our football this year has generally been pretty woeful with a squad he assembled....and let's not forget he did sign every player, be it with new contracts or new to the club, and we have not perform on a consistent basis...and you can only blame 1/2 men for that....Jolley and limbrick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 155
chipsandgravy
April 27, 2019, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
No doubt we will have the "Jolley Out" banner on the flyover next.
Stick with the guy. Someone on here last year stated it could well take three/four transfer windows to mould a team based on the budgets available to him.. I think that may be right. Thats the benefit of giving someone time and I think we should give him that. He may still be cutting his teeth in this division but so did a number of (eventually) successful managers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 155
hheh2
April 27, 2019, 8:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
It's obvious MJ is already in preparation mode for next season we had 6 academy grads in play today and some players will be released over summer possibly.

The FA cup money and wage bill releases from this season will hopefully be put to good over the summer.

We know what we need: goal scoring striker.

Let's get one in!

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 155
arryarryarry
April 27, 2019, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Jolley does seem to over complicate and think things but I reckon he’s like most managers in the bottom half of L2 knows what he has to do to improve things but is held back by the resources and players he has to work with.

I’m sure he’ll be the first to admit that this season has been a massive learning curve for him on and off the pitch one that at times he’s not dealt to well.

Resources have nothing really to do with tactics. We play a young forward that has hardly played many league games put him up front on his own then spend most of the game hoofing the ball up to him. I felt sorry for the lad as well as Vernam who hardly had a decent pass all day and this against one of the poorest teams in the league, we were lucky to get away with only conceding two.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 155
TAGG
April 27, 2019, 8:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 124
Keep the bloke on.
Give him 8/10 games at the start of the season to get off
to a flyer and if he doesn't then get rid.
I can understand people's frustrations but he needs more time IMO
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 155
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley has to go, and go now.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.