Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

This thread currently has 56,537 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
February 24, 2012, 11:49pm
Guest User
With only 300 members (and I'd guess a fair few of them juniors not eligible to vote) EVERY vote will make a difference.

Must admit I'm suprised to see the balance swing back as much as it has but that's only on the fishy.
Can you seriously see it not passing ?

I take what you mean about not voting out of principle but still tempted to vote yes for the reasons I've given.

No-one can give me a satisfactory answer to what happens if things stay the same and we're floating around hoping things stay good on the pitch, if only because we fear Fenty getting itchy feet. (well most of us !)

If the vote passes we all know where we stand short-term.

What concerns me more is the following scenario....

- Vote passes
- We don't get promoted this season
- Fans are asked do you want big competitive budget (guess that'll put us in more financial trouble) or small uncompetitive one ?
- Worry if members decide big budget they get blame if we miss out on promotion, club goes bust etc.
- Equally small budget, we rot in the BSP, lose money, maybe go bust anyway.

Could be a lose-lose situation.

But at the end of the day, maybe that's what JF is facing himself ?!

Is he running out of money fast or just getting sick of all the stick ?
Reply: 160 - 365
barralad
February 25, 2012, 8:27am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 2075
Doesn't bringing post counts into a discussion like this seem incredibly lame?

Shows an incredible weakness in argument.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 365
cardiffmariner
February 25, 2012, 9:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,319
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from barralad

Crikey, where do I start with this...I know we've been over this before but the timing of the "coming to a head" of this situation was brought about because the next round of funding was needed to be sorted out. John Fenty had what he believed to be real concerns about the likelihood of being the man putting in the money but being in a position where he could be out-voted from outside of the boardroom.

There will be a variety of reasons for people voting "Yes". I'm not sure many of them will be for people being "scared". In your previous post you state that the club will not die if John Fenty throws in the towel. You are at liberty to say that because you only have responsibility to yourself. When the Trust Board were debating whether to recommend this "solution" the debate took place knowing that we were going to be asking people to follow our lead. If by "the Trust" you mean the Trust Board then I'd like to understand how you know so much about the members of that board's psychological make up. I certainly don't think I've had the pleasure of your acquaintance.
Not that it worries me unduly and certainly didn't have any bearing on my decision, but if push had come to shove and the Trust Board had sat on the sidelines and Liam Hearn had been sold I'm willing to bet that for the past couple of weeks we'd have been wading through threads blaming his departure on the Trust for their intransigence over the share issue. It is a credit to the vast majority of Town fans whichever side they fall on in this debate that by and large we've had excellent points from either side. Not that it will worry you I suppose but the quoted post falls well short of that standard....

I suspect you are absolutely right.  

However, isn't putting one player ahead of the future of the club a short-sighted decision?  The most important thing for GTFC is that it works towards a position where it is self-sustainable and not endebted/controlled by a single individual.  If this requires the selling of one player, no matter how good he is or where we are in the table, then so be it.  If we had sold Hearn, which I'm not convinced would have happened anyway, then that money would have covered the apparent shortfall.  The club would have started to support itself. This, in my mind, would have been the brave decision that would have been the first step in the right direction.  Instead it looks like we will take the inevitable step backwards.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 365
Biccys
February 25, 2012, 9:34am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
I'm not so sure about that. Keeping him is more of a sign of intent and that we, actually despite all the financial posturing, aren't in THAT bad shape whet a gave to sell him yet. If a were, he'd have gone. No doubt in my mind about that.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 163 - 365
Biccys
February 25, 2012, 9:35am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
That we have to sell him yet..... Damn Swype keyboard! Too clever for itself...!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 164 - 365
Fishbone
February 25, 2012, 9:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
For the most part, the debates on this thread have been extremely healthy, informative, and dare I say, enjoyable. There have been many different perspectives and I can fully appreciate the varying opinions being put forward, the reasons and intentions behind them, and I'm always particularly heartened by the passion people show for this club, whether I happen to agree with them or not. I guess most of us on here lack the real power to directly bring about change, which is probably why we see frustrations rising at times. Whilst not entirely in agreement with the Trusts position over the shares issue, I value their hard work, effort and intentions, and despite the 'heat' they receive, I'm sure they get plenty from such debates to inform their future decisions. Likewise, I cannot possibly knock JF's commitments, it's just I don't agree on this issue on so many levels when a different direction might coalesce club, fans and Trust, and demonstrate a broader collective intent. I guess we'll alll go on supporting Town on the pitch, whatever happens in the boardroom (the legacy of birthplace!). but it's right that we can all put our different points of view across. However, it is precisely the bredth of opinion and the plethora of alternative scenarios being put forward that convinces me personally that a 'no' vote at this time, without exhausting all the possibilities, is the only one I could fully support.        
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 365
BlackBoots
February 25, 2012, 12:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Just chatted to someone who is supposedly 'in the know' (club employee)and they said the Trust are to be offered a seat on the board very shortly.

If so that makes be feel better about my 'yes' vote
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 365
Wrawby_Mariner
February 25, 2012, 12:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from BlackBoots
Just chatted to someone who is supposedly 'in the know' (club employee)and they said the Trust are to be offered a seat on the board very shortly.

Obviously a seat on the Board is something the Trust have been striving for since we reformed back in October/November. I think until all the terms and conditions have been discussed it would be unfair to speculate
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 167 - 365
dapperz fun pub
February 25, 2012, 12:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,932
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from BlackBoots

more secretive meeting been taking place eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 365
Marinerz93
February 25, 2012, 5:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I've just had a brilliant idea, the trust give JF all their shares when he wipes the whole benign debt, voila, problems and arguments solved.  Now for Sierra and Somalia.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 365
37 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.