Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

This thread currently has 56,590 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Wrawby_Mariner
February 28, 2012, 10:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from voice of reason

First of all, members of the Trust board have said they represent the supporters of GTFC not just members of the Trust.... Where?

Secondly, you can't try and pass the buck to the last Trust board... You all knew about the shares being in place before you took your seats on the board and in reality probably was part of the decision process in accepting the shares in the first place...I was co-opted to the Trust board the day the decision was made so hardly passing the buck, If the Trust did not accept the shares then they would still be in a state of dormancy. The shares were a catalyst and I think had the Trust not accepted the shares would have been seen passing the buck themselves
Thirdly, hasn't 80's got a point? There are 300 members of the Trust, that's only around 10% of our average attendance and a small fraction of our total fanbase... Surely that tells you something, or at least it should... Most of a supporters trusts membership is gathered over the course of a few years, and we have managed to double our membership in 4/5 months, we are still in our infancy and still finding our feet, I for one think this situation came too soon but totally understand why it has

People on here make out we have nothing better to do than criticise the Trust or that we are speaking out of our arses... Basically we are told we can have no complaints about anything that goes on and our opinions count for nothing if we are not members of the Trust... Sorry but that's not on... I will speak as I find regardless of whether i'm a member or not, the reason being, I was a supporter long before the Trust was about and I want the best for GTFC... I don't disagree with you one bit, We are in constant contact with Supporters Direct who govern us as they do every other supporters trust in the country and following their advice, advice from quarters is needed and sometimes truths need to be told but in fairness we are the only ones prepared to get involved and put ourselves in the firing line

A suggestion for the board (sorry I know i'm not meant to) why don't you stop and think why there is so little uptake from fans in joining the Trust... There is obviously some reason for it and if you don't figure this reason out, you will never make a success of the Trust... Not everybody is just out to snipe and mock your efforts, you may think we are but from a personal point of view, my criticsm (not always constructive I know) of the Trust comes more out of frustration... I accept that, what would you change?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 240 - 365
Biccys
February 28, 2012, 10:50am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Valid points VOR but do you actually believe that a non member should have any influence on how an organisation is run?  There's no reason just because you're a fan that you should have any sway in the decision of the club if you're not a member of the Trust or indeed the GTFC Board itself. The ONLY way you can have a say is to stick a massive wedge of cash into shares and buy your way into the Boardroom or join the MT. Is it really that hard to see? You don't agree with the trust's handling of the shares situation. Fine. Join and have a say in what they do with them then. Sniping from the sidelines isn't either productive or going to get anyone anywhere.
The trust are in the unenviable position where they won't please all of the member or indeed all of the "fans" of GTFC, but they have a responsibility to represent their members in the democratic way. You can be part of that by simply joining. Or you can sit and snipe and wonder why your voice of reason is not heard.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 241 - 365
arryarryarry
February 28, 2012, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Where

Quote from the Trust on another forum.

"After continued discussions with the football club we feel we have made significant progress in respect of gaining a non executive seat on the board of GTFC. Once finalised, this will be a huge step forward, not only for the Trust but the supporter base in general. Never before have the fans had representation at boardroom level."

Private Message
Reply: 242 - 365
mike_d
February 28, 2012, 11:27am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 1600

You don't speak for the majority of fans Mariner Trust and IMO it's your own fault for being evasive, and failing to sufficiently engage with fans.
Now do the honourable thing, stop pretending you're a fans voice, drop this complete intercourse up of a voting shambles, take responsibility for the situation YOU'VE created by yourselves and sort it for GTFC !  

80s,

You don't speak for the majority of the fans either.

Personally, in my own opinion, not the majority's opinion before you take umbrage, it's fairly simple.

The trust has been formed with all of the right intentions, and I don't think anyone can realistically argue otherwise. The real reason the membership hasn't grown is simple economics - people aren't buying tickets to see the team let alone more money on something, regardless of how little it costs, or how good value one can assume membership is.

Next - the stated long term aim is to have a seat on the board. However, they've been presented with a chance to be there before their deadlines. You seem to suggest they shouldn't do so - please tell me if that's not correct.

A simple analogy: my long term aim is to pay off my mortgage. If I won enough on the lottery tomorrow to do so, should I not pay it off?

What's to say that having a voice on the board hasn't been in negotiations even given the share donation/voting rights issue going alongside? It's not always a linear world- get one thing, leads to another. Yes, this might way some people's vote, but equally from the comments it may swing votes the other way as well.

Lastly, it seems to me that the Trust Board, acting on behalf of the Trust membership (and anyone could be among either the general membership or the Board if you wished) have taken advice in a very difficult situation, and are acting as per their mandate. I hope they continue to do so - at least there's action. I like the fact that things are happening without the "why are they waiting?" inaction that seems to cripple so many things.

Yes, the membership could be larger, and I'm certain they are trying to increase their membership; only a fool would suggest they weren't. However, if people don't sign up, should they still stop trying and give up?

Personally, I applaud their effort and willingness to be counted - I may or may not agree with them, but they have the mandate.

One possible viewpoint - obtain a non-executive seat, then membership funds might in future allow to upgrade that to an executive seat, but in the meantime, even having a suggestive voice and alternative viewpoint could make other board members who can vote at least acknowledge ideas that might not get a voice otherwise.

What's also the likelihood of any new invester not allowing new board members, but allowing existing ones to remain, including that of the Trust?

Again, my opinion; not one of the majority who you seem to think you're just as much the voice of as the Trust, who at least by having the name "Supporters Trust" have an aspiration to have. I'm not suggesting that you agree with them, toe the line, but perhaps being constructive would be a better option.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 365
Wrawby_Mariner
February 28, 2012, 11:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from arryarryarry

Quote from the Trust on another forum.

"After continued discussions with the football club we feel we have made significant progress in respect of gaining a non executive seat on the board of GTFC. Once finalised, this will be a huge step forward, not only for the Trust but the supporter base in general. Never before have the fans had representation at boardroom level."

Once finalised .. The trust didnt say it currently speaks for the entire fanbase
Logged Offline
Reply: 244 - 365
arryarryarry
February 28, 2012, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Once finalised .. The trust didnt say it currently speaks for the entire fanbase

Interesting comment, do I assume from that that once the trust is elected to the board you will be speaking on behalf of the entire fan base and consequently any further votes would be open to all supporters?

Private Message
Reply: 245 - 365
Wrawby_Mariner
February 28, 2012, 12:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
I see what your saying here .. This could have been worded alot better ..
Logged Offline
Reply: 246 - 365
Chris
February 28, 2012, 12:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Wrawbs, we are volunteers fella, we all have professional and private lives just like the rest of them on here, and we will make little errors in wording from time to time. If people want to critisise for it then let them. We'll just keep doing our best untill some of them get off their arses and helps make things better.

I have lots of things I could be doing on Thursday evening (my wife and young children rather enjoy seeing me from time to time) but instead, we'll be locked away in a room discussing how we can help make this football club better for everyone of its supporters, whether they are members or not. No we're not being forced to do it, and yes we're able to walk away anytime we like, but doing so wouldnt help anyone. So let them nit pick about wording and we'll concentrate on our aims for the future of our club instead of just moaning about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 365
MeanwoodMariner
February 28, 2012, 12:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry

Interesting comment, do I assume from that that once the trust is elected to the board you will be speaking on behalf of the entire fan base and consequently any further votes would be open to all supporters?

Good idea. Now we probably need a way of identifying who is actually a supporter and some kind of administration system whereby an organised vote could be conducted. Perhaps a nominal joining fee could cover admin and deter voting irregularities. Some kind of supporters group or trust...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 365
psgmariner
February 28, 2012, 12:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Good idea. Now we probably need a way of identifying who is actually a supporter and some kind of administration system whereby an organised vote could be conducted. Perhaps a nominal joining fee could cover admin and deter voting irregularities. Some kind of supporters group or trust...

Can't see your idea taking off!

Private Message
Reply: 249 - 365
37 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.