Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

This thread currently has 56,533 views. Print
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Fishbone
February 24, 2012, 8:18am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
If the Trust were to be given a place on the board it would ensure 'control in the boardroom' that could address John Fenty's concern, at least in principle. It would also alleviate concerns about the Trust giving away shares. Given these were gifted by Mike Parker, it might also make many of us feel a little easier about the principles involved. There is then the issue of executive versus non executive status, however, this is not merely a case of one or the other as there are lots of examples of levels in between that exist elsewhere. These could surely be thrashed out with appropriate safeguards and clauses put in to protect both interests. This would present a much more positive and cooperative solution which could coalesce the collective efforts of all parties. Given the perilous position of the club, and indeed the socio-economic issues affecting the town as a whole, shared focus and ownership might prove more powerful and give broader 'shoulders' to the leadership and organisation of the club.

Increasingly elsewhere we are seeing interest in new models of business and social development with the recognition that previous models are either no longer working or are unsustainable. I personally would not question John Fenty's financial commitment nor his support for the club. Nor would I question the effort and well intentioned efforts of the Trust. However, what I would question is whether this 'yes'/'no' option currently on the table is the only way forward. As John Fenty points out he has fears as a significant investor as to what might happen if others sought to remove him. Likewise, we also see examples of small and powerful boards making decisions that can ultimately damage the reputation and viability of an organisation to the extent that they are merged, shut down, discredited or efectively sold. I'd personally like to see the Trust with a seat at the table to safeguard to some degree against future changes (there will be a day when JF is not around) in circummstance and ownership and the vagaries of individual interest or whim.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 365
Garth
February 24, 2012, 9:24am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner

This kind of stuff has happened before, the cloak and dagger stuff makes the club look like a bunch of twits. How anyone can trust a word of what is put out on the OS or in the Fentygraph is beyond me.

Oh dear it beggers belief
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 365
Maringer
February 24, 2012, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,508
Gold Stars: 185
I do wonder if the trust has asked Parker for his thoughts on the 'deal' Fenty has put on the table?

I realise that he's given the shares away and therefore has no say over their disposition but have the board discussed this with him? He might be able to provide another perspective on the situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 365
forza ivano
February 24, 2012, 9:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,171
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Maringer
I do wonder if the trust has asked Parker for his thoughts on the 'deal' Fenty has put on the table?

I realise that he's given the shares away and therefore has no say over their disposition but have the board discussed this with him? He might be able to provide another perspective on the situation.

I am lead to believe that they have lines of communication open with Mr parker, which I was very relieved to hear. Mr parker could be a very useful ally/sounding board/ advisor(in the loosest sense of the word). I know it's not a  war ,but i'd remind you of the old saying 'my enemy's enemy is my friend'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 365
Hidy Snoutser
February 24, 2012, 9:51am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from Fishbone
It would also alleviate concerns about the Trust giving away shares. Given these were gifted by Mike Parker, it might also make many of us feel a little easier about the principles involved.
Fishbone: I think some should be reminded that Mr Parker did not give these shares across out of the goodness of his heart. Whilst i am please he has, it was done to get him out of a sticky patch and having to make an obligatory offer for all of the shares in GTFC, so we shouldn't be fooled IMHO.
Quoted from Fishbone
This would present a much more positive and cooperative solution which could coalesce the collective efforts of all parties. Given the perilous position of the club, and indeed the socio-economic issues affecting the town as a whole, shared focus and ownership might prove more powerful and give broader 'shoulders' to the leadership and organization of the club.
I wish to see the MT on the board but i think it is one step at a time. I think Mr Fenty is waiting to see what type of organization we are. The last one was more about infighting and bickering, i know this first hand. Its up to us to show value and usefulness which with the current MT board i feel a positive outcome is on the cards.
Quoted from Fishbone
I'd personally like to see the Trust with a seat at the table to safeguard to some degree against future changes (there will be a day when JF is not around) in circumstance and ownership and the vagaries of individual interest or whim.
I think we have to get real that Clubs more often than not require injections of funding at least from time to time and repeatably Trusts cannot achieve this so i recon unless finance in football changes, then to compete you need to take risks albeit they should be measured and underwritten usually by a single person and when that changes which you cannot always prepare for a solution needs to found.

For me, Mr Fenty has taken a leap of faith by injecting addition funds after Mr Parker took control. Irrespective of all the conjecture about deals to fund this season etc or not, the whole playing field had materially changed and i for one would have blamed for one minute if he had played hard ball especially after all he has been through. The alternative is for him to walk away, and sunny Spain looked a good option to me.

To his credit we are not in administration and appear to be on the verge of good things happening on the field. With his promise to inject £200k real capital in a share purchase and pledge further funds. Just remember if all goes mammaries-up. We lost £900 and odd K last year so this could be very expensive.

I have to say YES the Trust remains in a good spot and will be working with the club on budgets going forward. This in its self might just be an eye opener and not as simple as some suggest. I hope we take this opportunity for all that its worth.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 365
dapperz fun pub
February 24, 2012, 10:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from forza ivano

I am lead to believe that they have lines of communication open with Mr parker, which I was very relieved to hear. Mr parker could be a very useful ally/sounding board/ advisor(in the loosest sense of the word). I know it's not a  war ,but i'd remind you of the old saying 'my enemy's enemy is my friend'

parker and the trust have never stopped talking,well one particular member anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 365
arryarryarry
February 24, 2012, 11:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

I thought I had read a comment from the Trust that he wasn't particularly happy that they were handing over the shares that he had gifted to the trust to JF.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 365
Grim_Exile
February 24, 2012, 11:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought I had read a comment from the Trust that he wasn't particularly happy that they were handing over the shares that he had gifted to the trust to JF.

First question in the Q&As on the Trust website:

Has contact been made with Mike Parker on this issue and what his is view?

We have talked with Mike over the recent weeks whist we have been trying to broker a solution to this issue and he has repeated privately to us what he has stated in public in that he has no intention of been involved with club going forward and certainly has no intention of providing any further funding. The support and funding Mike has provided the club is absolutely fantastic and should be recognised as such. The original gift of shares from Mike was made without any conditions what so ever and therefore although Mike doesn’t necessarily agree with the proposal he fully understands that we are free to use them as we feel fit in the best interest of club. After much deliberation we have decided to recommend the transfer to Mr Fenty in order to obtain commitment to future funding but ultimately the members will decide if that is the right solution.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 365
Fishbone
February 24, 2012, 11:39am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
[quote=4082]Fishbone: I think some should be reminded that Mr Parker did not give these shares across out of the goodness of his heart. Whilst i am please he has, it was done to get him out of a sticky patch and having to make an obligatory offer for all of the shares in GTFC, so we shouldn't be fooled IMHO.[size=14]

Fair point - although my initial comment was more intended to highlight potenital alternatives to the current situation and the uncomfortable situation of the Trust handing over shares to JF gifted to them by MP with few direct benefits in return. I appreciate the argument is that once done, then JF will commit to further investment but if the Trust were in the boardroom with assurances, why couldn't this happen anyway?

I do tend to agree with your latter points regardng the need for cash injections from individuals until 'finance in football changes' - but if we and people at all levels don't take steps to bring about that change when the opportunities occur, then perhaps we're/they're culpable by default and contribute to the prevailing logic being maintaned and reproduced. I personally feel that in this current climate with so many worrying situations at football clubs, it is at least worth condiering in more depth the range of possibilities than merely conforming to what has happened previously in the hope it may be better this time around.

However, having said all that,  as you point out, if the only real option available to us is to accept the 'yes/no' decision in exchange for something concrete that assures long term survival of the club that the fans love and cherish in this climate, then I can fully appreciate why a 'yes' vote would be a logical response and one that we'd have to live with in contrast to the bleak alternative being put forward. Personally, I just feel that it maybe not as simple as a 'yes or no' or 'this way or no way' as there still appear to be so many potential pemeatations that could still be explored.  
All the best.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 365
arryarryarry
February 24, 2012, 1:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Grim_Exile

First question in the Q&As on the Trust website:

Has contact been made with Mike Parker on this issue and what his is view?

We have talked with Mike over the recent weeks whist we have been trying to broker a solution to this issue and he has repeated privately to us what he has stated in public in that he has no intention of been involved with club going forward and certainly has no intention of providing any further funding. The support and funding Mike has provided the club is absolutely fantastic and should be recognised as such. The original gift of shares from Mike was made without any conditions what so ever and therefore although Mike doesn’t necessarily agree with the proposal he fully understands that we are free to use them as we feel fit in the best interest of club. After much deliberation we have decided to recommend the transfer to Mr Fenty in order to obtain commitment to future funding but ultimately the members will decide if that is the right solution.

Thanks, I thought I hadn't dreamt it.

Private Message
Reply: 109 - 365
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.