Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

This thread currently has 56,538 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
February 24, 2012, 1:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
How many people with multiple logins are posting on this thread? There are some really similar styles of posting and they all seem to be arguing the same thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 365
80sglory
February 24, 2012, 3:11pm
Guest User
Quoted from Fishbone
If the Trust were to be given a place on the board it would ensure 'control in the boardroom' that could address John Fenty's concern, at least in principle. It would also alleviate concerns about the Trust giving away shares. Given these were gifted by Mike Parker, it might also make many of us feel a little easier about the principles involved. There is then the issue of executive versus non executive status, however, this is not merely a case of one or the other as there are lots of examples of levels in between that exist elsewhere. These could surely be thrashed out with appropriate safeguards and clauses put in to protect both interests. This would present a much more positive and cooperative solution which could coalesce the collective efforts of all parties. Given the perilous position of the club, and indeed the socio-economic issues affecting the town as a whole, shared focus and ownership might prove more powerful and give broader 'shoulders' to the leadership and organisation of the club.

Increasingly elsewhere we are seeing interest in new models of business and social development with the recognition that previous models are either no longer working or are unsustainable. I personally would not question John Fenty's financial commitment nor his support for the club. Nor would I question the effort and well intentioned efforts of the Trust. However, what I would question is whether this 'yes'/'no' option currently on the table is the only way forward. As John Fenty points out he has fears as a significant investor as to what might happen if others sought to remove him. Likewise, we also see examples of small and powerful boards making decisions that can ultimately damage the reputation and viability of an organisation to the extent that they are merged, shut down, discredited or efectively sold. I'd personally like to see the Trust with a seat at the table to safeguard to some degree against future changes (there will be a day when JF is not around) in circummstance and ownership and the vagaries of individual interest or whim.      

A very well considered and thought out post IMO.
If that's not "letter to the GET" material I don't know what is !

PS If you do decide to send, remember to spellcheck it first ?  
Reply: 111 - 365
Dan
February 24, 2012, 3:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Quoted from headingly_mariner
How many people with multiple logins are posting on this thread? There are some really similar styles of posting and they all seem to be arguing the same thing.

Awful lot of use of the word 'irrespective'...where do we see that pop up all the time?

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 365
Chrisblor
February 24, 2012, 4:24pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Strange how they all have very low post counts too. Almost as if one person has registered a number of accounts to make their views appear more popular...

Better be careful here though, I don't want to liable anyone.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 365
LeightonMariner
February 24, 2012, 4:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +9 / -3
I just wish he'd choose a more apt username.  Spindoctor or the like!

When in doubt, start a conspiracy theory  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 365
forza ivano
February 24, 2012, 4:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,175
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Fishbone
[quote=4082]Fishbone: I think some should be reminded that Mr Parker did not give these shares across out of the goodness of his heart. Whilst i am please he has, it was done to get him out of a sticky patch and having to make an obligatory offer for all of the shares in GTFC, so we shouldn't be fooled IMHO.[size=14]

Fair point - although my initial comment was more intended to highlight potenital alternatives to the current situation and the uncomfortable situation of the Trust handing over shares to JF gifted to them by MP with few direct benefits in return. I appreciate the argument is that once done, then JF will commit to further investment but if the Trust were in the boardroom with assurances, why couldn't this happen anyway?

I do tend to agree with your latter points regardng the need for cash injections from individuals until 'finance in football changes' - but if we and people at all levels don't take steps to bring about that change when the opportunities occur, then perhaps we're/they're culpable by default and contribute to the prevailing logic being maintaned and reproduced. I personally feel that in this current climate with so many worrying situations at football clubs, it is at least worth condiering in more depth the range of possibilities than merely conforming to what has happened previously in the hope it may be better this time around.

However, having said all that,  as you point out, if the only real option available to us is to accept the 'yes/no' decision in exchange for something concrete that assures long term survival of the club that the fans love and cherish in this climate, then I can fully appreciate why a 'yes' vote would be a logical response and one that we'd have to live with in contrast to the bleak alternative being put forward. Personally, I just feel that it maybe not as simple as a 'yes or no' or 'this way or no way' as there still appear to be so many potential pemeatations that could still be explored.  
All the best.

looks like an increasing number of people would like the 3rd way option, vote no to the present agreement, but it may well be acceptable if further negotiations were held. at the moment, imho, the trust are giving away 200,000 shares in return for practically nothing. jf has played his hand very well and got what he wanted. he desperately wants those shares and that control and thats why we should be asking for more from him.

no doubt squarkus will be able to reply with his unique insight into jf's point of view. it's almost as though they are joined at the hip.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 365
LeightonMariner
February 24, 2012, 4:55pm
Snakebite drinker
intercourse it, in for a penny in for a pound.  Time for this balderdash to stop, the club has been mis-managed for long enough.  It's high time it was run properly with a long term plan and not have to suffer a periodic 'will he won't he' worry.  Let's face it,if the club had been managed on sound assumptions and proper business plans then JF wouldn't have needed to keep pumping money in to pay for HIS mistakes.  So he loses a few quid, so flipping what, he's jeopardized the very existence of OUR football club.  A yes vote is a vote for a future  of uncertainty and further childish antics.  The club won't die if he picks his dummy up and walks away.  I've had enough, we should be celebrating success on the field, at least that's what real fans should be doing, not using threats to get something that isn't his for intercourse all.

I don't give two felicitations about the inevitable abuse, I care too much about the club!

Fenty out ASAP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 365
Chris
February 24, 2012, 4:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
What is clear from all the various polls on the various forums, and threads such as these, is that there are a lot of questions that people would like answered.

I suspect these questions are too late to help decide this vote either way, but in the interests of harmony moving forward, it would be good for Fenty to answer the questions currently being posed. Maybe he would do so via the Trust, Ill ask to see if the Trust board agree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 365
LeightonMariner
February 24, 2012, 5:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Chris
What is clear from all the various polls on the various forums, and threads such as these, is that there are a lot of questions that people would like answered.

I suspect these questions are too late to help decide this vote either way, but in the interests of harmony moving forward, it would be good for Fenty to answer the questions currently being posed. Maybe he would do so via the Trust, Ill ask to see if the Trust board agree.

Chris, no beef with you but what are the chances of getting an honest and transparent answer from him that won't be u-turned when he comes up with another scheme?  Somewhere between highly unlikely and no flipping chance is my guess.  He's chosen this moment, this flipping moment to force through his own agenda, that's flipping disgusting.  I have no respect or confidence left in him, whatsoever.  The Trust will do what they will because they are scared, fear isn't the basis for a sound partnership.  It's just disgusting.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 365
barralad
February 24, 2012, 6:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from LeightonMariner

Chris, no beef with you but what are the chances of getting an honest and transparent answer from him that won't be u-turned when he comes up with another scheme?  Somewhere between highly unlikely and no flipping chance is my guess.  He's chosen this moment, this flipping moment to force through his own agenda, that's flipping disgusting.  I have no respect or confidence left in him, whatsoever.  The Trust will do what they will because they are scared, fear isn't the basis for a sound partnership.  It's just disgusting.

Crikey, where do I start with this...I know we've been over this before but the timing of the "coming to a head" of this situation was brought about because the next round of funding was needed to be sorted out. John Fenty had what he believed to be real concerns about the likelihood of being the man putting in the money but being in a position where he could be out-voted from outside of the boardroom.

There will be a variety of reasons for people voting "Yes". I'm not sure many of them will be for people being "scared". In your previous post you state that the club will not die if John Fenty throws in the towel. You are at liberty to say that because you only have responsibility to yourself. When the Trust Board were debating whether to recommend this "solution" the debate took place knowing that we were going to be asking people to follow our lead. If by "the Trust" you mean the Trust Board then I'd like to understand how you know so much about the members of that board's psychological make up. I certainly don't think I've had the pleasure of your acquaintance.
Not that it worries me unduly and certainly didn't have any bearing on my decision, but if push had come to shove and the Trust Board had sat on the sidelines and Liam Hearn had been sold I'm willing to bet that for the past couple of weeks we'd have been wading through threads blaming his departure on the Trust for their intransigence over the share issue. It is a credit to the vast majority of Town fans whichever side they fall on in this debate that by and large we've had excellent points from either side. Not that it will worry you I suppose but the quoted post falls well short of that standard....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 365
37 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.