Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell blames fans for defeat
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot, jimgtfc, Mayaman and 88 Guests

Artell blames fans for defeat

This thread currently has 15,467 views. Print
22 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
out of town
February 10, 2024, 6:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Artell just said that once the fans got on the players backs for passing it out from the back, they didn’t stick to the game plan, started whacking it forward and cost us the game.

The bloke is an complete fraud
Logged Offline
Private Message
FrazerGTFC
February 10, 2024, 6:15pm

Grimsby fan
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -234
Gold Stars: 1
Agree , was a good appointment until he brought his tiki taka football to us our defence and keeper simply can’t do and he refuses to change it , bring back kick and rush and play to our strengths , think we’ve missed the right appointment which was the cowleys who would of kept us up

Yoda was right he will be gone next few games if we carry on like this

Never be positive about town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 214
louth_in_the_south
February 10, 2024, 6:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,692
Gold Stars: 96
Ha ha . What a clown. Bye bye!!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 214
Swansea_Mariner
February 10, 2024, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
Listening to that,  the blokes completely delusional.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 214
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 6:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
He’s a man who is out of his depth and doesn’t have what it takes to get the best out of the team. It’s only a matter of time until he gets the boot.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from out of town
Artell just said that once the fans got on the players backs for passing it out from the back, they didn’t stick to the game plan, started whacking it forward and cost us the game.

He’s coming across as a right arrogant male masturbator. I’m all for trying to play good football but with players who can play it. The Crewe home game is a distant memory.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 214
headingly_mariner
February 10, 2024, 6:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 116
He's a not doing very well, but he's right a portion of the fans were absolute twits today. It had no bearing on the result because the game was lost, but to boo you own players for not twatting it is embarrassing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 214
louth_in_the_south
February 10, 2024, 6:21pm

Exile
It’s better than trusting your manager’s judgment of passing it around the back 4 before losing possession and giving a goal away

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 214
denni266

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Think he is going to find out very quick what its like to upset town fans. Saying things like that is just going to wind the fans up.  Its not the fans fault its yours Mr Artell and we are not going to let you forget it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 214
barralad
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from out of town

That is absolutely not what he said. He DID say he "gets" the fans reaction. The players have an employer- Artell is the de facto representative of that employer. Playing out from the back makes me nervous. I vocalise that nervousness but the instructions of the manager MUST trump the views of people outside the organisation. I doubt a more experienced player than Cartwright would've been swayed.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 214
MaccasBoots
February 10, 2024, 6:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +684
Gold Stars: 23
He's absolutely right to be honest. Don't understand our "fans" discouraging and berating our players. How is that going to help them? If you're not going to support the team, then jog on, we don't need you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 214
Vance Warner
February 10, 2024, 6:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
It’s not like we have the players to play longer balls anyway so it just comes straight back to us. I get the frustration but don’t quite buy the argument that you need to be Bobby Moore to play out from the back. Plenty of teams do it successfully at a much lower standard than us. It’s as much about positioning and decision making as it is about technical ability and both of those things can be taught. I hope we can scrape a few wins to ease the nerves so that we can develop our style of play ready for next season. We’ve not had a style of play for the last 20 odd years and it’s no coincidence that it’s been the worst period in our history. Long term I believe this change needs to happen it’s just dicey doing it when you’re so low in the table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 214
barralad
February 10, 2024, 6:27pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
It’s better than trusting your manager’s judgment of passing it around the back 4 before losing possession and giving a goal away

I'd quite like a comparison of the number of times passing out from the baclk has cost us a goal with how many goals we've coceded from aimless punts upfield which have come back with interest.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 214
Phil the cod
February 10, 2024, 6:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Is this guy for real ? It's our right to voice our concerns if we can obviously see what the players are doing isn't working and they aren't comfortable doing it.
Mr artell, you are clearly out of your depth if you this down to the fans complaining about your stupid tactics that is the reason for the way we gift goals EVERY Fooking game.
The team we got promoted with would of been in the top half of this urine poor league.
The opposition cannot hurt us if the ball is in Thier 18 yard box can they instead we roll the ball out to players who see it as a hot potato and panic ensues.
Please stop this stupid tactic and let's get the ball up quicker, I'm not saying turn into Lincoln under John rudge ffsake, we pass it around for 5 mins, it comes back to the keeper and he hoofs it up anyway!
Just get it up there please, it's doing our heads in.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 214
DB
February 10, 2024, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from out of town

What I heard was " The players started listening to the fans and stopped playing it out from the back". Firstly employees do as the manager says and not some guy from the street ( No offence meant to any fan ) because the manager is responsible for his wages. If they don't do as he says then they will be disciplined, or should be.

Secondly, I find it abhorrent that a manager blames the fans for HIS playing style. I think JS & AP should take him to task about this and the style he makes them play at home.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 214
fishcake63
February 10, 2024, 6:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
No this is on artell messing about at back again i'm all for playing but sometimes during a 90 min you have to get rid we are lge 2 , if we lose next week & we will he on borrowed time & stop blaming us for your mistakes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 214
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 6:34pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
The thing is, I don't think anyone can blame Artell for desiring a way to play, however, he does not have the players to go with it. We as fans know and the players seemingly also know it as they're excrement at implementing it.

The Stockport commentary were saying all game that it was a naïve way to play and they fancied themselves a goal against this outfit, which says it all really.

A good manager works with players that can play the way they can, not with what the way he desires.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 214
AndyGTFC
February 10, 2024, 6:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Let's not chat utter balderdash now.

He blamed the players for abandoning what they were doing and reacting to the booing but that he understood the fans reaction. So he's not blaming the fans, he's blaming the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 214
grimsby pete
February 10, 2024, 6:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
It's hard enough trying to beat the in form team that is top of the league.

There is no need to give them gifts and try to do things you are not very good at.

Take a hard look at yourself Artell and smell the coffee.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 214
toontown
February 10, 2024, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Plankton
The thing is, I don't think anyone can blame Artell for desiring a way to play, however, he does not have the players to go with it. We as fans know and the players seemingly also know it as they're excrement at implementing it.

The Stockport commentary were saying all game that it was a naïve way to play and they fancied themselves a goal against this outfit, which says it all really.

A good manager works with players that can play the way they can, not with what the way he desires.

Yeah it's cringingly embarrassing that it so obviously isn't working but he insists on playing in a way that's gifting teams so many goals against us.

Try to lean a bit more towards that style sure, but don't be so rigid and unable to do anything but pressure ourselves.

Well fooked off with today's performance and really really concerned with that interview - we won't be changing style and if that gets us relegated he just shrugs, leaves and blames the fans I guess. Meanwhile we are the ones left holding the excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 214
LocalLadGTFC
February 10, 2024, 6:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,223
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from AndyGTFC

He blamed the players for abandoning what they were doing and reacting to the booing but that he understood the fans reaction. So he's not blaming the fans, he's blaming the players.

Exactly how I intepreted it, it's on the players to drown out the noise from the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 214
DB
February 10, 2024, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from AndyGTFC

So what you are saying is that the players are not professionals as they do not do what the manager says.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 214
moosey_club
February 10, 2024, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from headingly_mariner
He's a not doing very well, but he's right a portion of the fans were absolute twits today. It had no bearing on the result because the game was lost, but to boo you own players for not twatting it is embarrassing.

100 %

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 214
Phil the cod
February 10, 2024, 6:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
A 10 year old boy behind me called it spot on shrieking in his best balls not dropped yet voice " hey artell, just get it up top and stop f.cking about with it"

Jus saying, it ain't rocket science Dave.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 214
louth_in_the_south
February 10, 2024, 6:43pm

Exile
Quoted from barralad

I'd quite like a comparison of the number of times passing out from the baclk has cost us a goal with how many goals we've coceded from aimless punts upfield which have come back with interest.

I’d rather we compete from aimless punts upfield than just give a free pass to the opposition on fhe edge of our box .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 214
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 6:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Yeah it's cringingly embarrassing that it so obviously isn't working but he insists on playing in a way that's gifting teams so many goals against us.

Try to lean a bit more towards that style sure, but don't be so rigid and unable to do anything but pressure ourselves.

Well fooked off with today's performance and really really concerned with that interview - we won't be changing style and if that gets us relegated he just shrugs, leaves and blames the fans I guess. Meanwhile we are the ones left holding the excrement.

That is similar to my takeaway from DA's thoughts. We're in a dog fight but he's wanting to participate with an inebriated rabbit that's been told to move quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 214
moosey_club
February 10, 2024, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If anyone there today...honestly thinks that crowd reaction DIDN'T influence the players then .....fck me.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 214
GrimRob
February 10, 2024, 6:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,413
Gold Stars: 113
Fans are fans and every club has them. Ultimately they pay his wages. You have to keep your mouth shut. The guy sounds out of his depth. He's been out of work for 18 months, long term unemployed territory, and then we offered him a 2.5 year deal. Unfortunately he's better out than in and we may just have to take the hit. It was the first time the new owners have been through this to be fair to them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 214
1mickylyons
February 10, 2024, 6:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
DA blames the fans eh?
Well first 2 goals today we gifted them with a shiny ribbon on.
We had a corner today and Eisa/another took it short lost the ball and Stockport got a corner.What do you work on all week Mr Artell because its not set pieces ? Today's horror show stemmed from the dangerous brothers Maher and Rodgers not being able to play out defend or distribute.Added to this they got zero help from CM  to me with this squad the best form of defence is attack maybe we should try that Danny Rose must be fed up he runs his balls off for nothing every game  I didn't expect to beat Stockport and predicted 1-3 Colchester is massive we cang afford to lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 214
AndyGTFC
February 10, 2024, 6:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from DB

So what you are saying is that the players are not professionals as they do not do what the manager says.

I'm saying he didn't blame the fans.

People can think what they want about the manager or the players but we're excrement enough without people trying to claim he said something he didn't.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 214
promotion plaice
February 10, 2024, 6:47pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,077
Gold Stars: 198
Quoted from Phil the cod
A 10 year old boy behind me called it spot on shrieking in his best balls not dropped yet voice " hey artell, just get it up top and stop f.cking about with it"

Shouldn't be swearing in public at that age  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
He can blame who he likes but there’s a massive difference between his first home game (Crewe) and now.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 214
arryarryarry
February 10, 2024, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Quoted from MaccasBoots
He's absolutely right to be honest. Don't understand our "fans" discouraging and berating our players. How is that going to help them? If you're not going to support the team, then jog on, we don't need you.

How long have you been watching football, whenever you play excrement especially at home the fans will moan and have every right to do so. Today we were excrement, especially pissing about with the ball at the back, we gave one goal away doing it then in the second half 3-1 down we were still pissing about with it.

We scored one goal early on in that second half then never troubled them again, we created intercourse all passing from centre half to full back then back again.

We just don't have the players to do it and on that showing we are no better if not worse than before the transfer window.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 214
fishcake63
February 10, 2024, 6:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
worst central defensive partnership for many a yr neither can defend & both crumble after going behind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 214
toontown
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from AndyGTFC

I'm saying he didn't blame the fans.

People can think what they want about the manager or the players but we're excrement enough without people trying to claim he said something he didn't.  

He said that the fan reaction causes us to be excrement at playing out from the back at home. But the fact we are excrement playing out from the back at home won't stop us playing out from the back at home.

I suppose therefore we are just going to have to get used to being excrement at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 214
Nelly GTFC
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
The harsh reality is there wasn't much chance of us getting a point even against the third best away side in League 2, wake up and smell the coffee >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/stockport-county/form-guide/ten

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 214
out of town
February 10, 2024, 6:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
The harsh reality is there wasn't much chance of us getting a point even against the third best away side in League 2, wake up and smell the coffee >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/stockport-county/form-guide/ten

Wake up and smell the 14 goals we’ve conceded in our last 3 games AT HOME
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 214
Swansea_Mariner
February 10, 2024, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
I'm glad JT pulled him up on the 5 goals against county thing as he's been dining out on those goals for weeks now. We're a shambles conceding so many at home.

Diafuckingbolical
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 214
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 6:55pm
Vodka Drinker
He said that the fans’ reaction is making the players hoof it. That’s as good as laying the blame at the door of the fans. Reality is that his approach isn’t fit for purpose and will take us down.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 214
Swansea_Mariner
February 10, 2024, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
And what metrics point to us moving in the right direction, he'll be spinning the law of averages in a game or two
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 214
Nelly GTFC
February 10, 2024, 6:57pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from out of town
Wake up and smell the 14 goals we’ve conceded in our last 3 games AT HOME
Well, I can still understand the anger and frustration, everyone hates a loss and moans. A loss is a loss, but least we didn't let 8 past us like Sutton or 5 like Doncaster. Even the mighty Walsall who beat us 1-6 lost 3-1 against Stockport just like we have.

Away Form

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 214
dapperz fun pub
February 10, 2024, 7:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Well, I can still understand the anger and frustration, everyone hates a loss and moans. A loss is a loss, but least we didn't let 8 past us like Sutton or 5 like Doncaster. Even the mighty Walsall who beat us 1-6 lost 3-1 against them just like we have.

At half time Stockport changed tactics knowing the game was won I take nothing from that game in a positive way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 214
toontown
February 10, 2024, 7:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

At half time Stockport changed tactics knowing the game was won I take nothing from that game in a positive way

Yep. Totally obvious and Artell simply trying to use that to shore up his weakening position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 214
Yoda
February 10, 2024, 7:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
He knows he is getting sacked after the next two games, he probably realises it’s his last managerial role in the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 214
barralad
February 10, 2024, 7:18pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from toontown

He said that is the first goal we've conceded as a direct result of playing out from the back. Is he right? On the basis we've conceded16 in the last four home games just maybe the problem isnt confined to that area of the performance

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 214
Lost in Lincoln
February 10, 2024, 7:32pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 7
I mean, he didn't, but don't let that cloud a good rant.

I'm as frustrated as anyone over this insistence on playing it out, but don't start inventing things to have a go.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 214
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 7:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln
I mean, he didn't, but don't let that cloud a good rant.

I'm as frustrated as anyone over this insistence on playing it out, but don't start inventing things to have a go.

Tweet 1756386327111590188 will appear here...

Listen from 00:42
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 214
moosey_club
February 10, 2024, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Sadly today Stockport didn't have to get out of first let alone second gear to beat us....we gifted them the first.....pretty much gifted them the second albeit it was a very swift and good counter and the third was at best poor defending at times....

Cartwright was hardly troubled apart from the goals  as Stockport didn't need to exert themselves due to our gifts and complete lack of threat.

As much as I disagree with the booing and grumbling it is frustrating watching us trying to play a system/style that the players just can't deliver. Artell really does need to realise they are not capable of it and adapt it slightly for now.

BIG game next week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 214
Gaffer58
February 10, 2024, 8:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Just a thought, but do the opposition know that we are going to try to play from the back so they play a high pressing game to make us more likely to make a mistake, if the opposition know we’re a big punt type of team then they would have to have more men at the back, hence you cannot just be a one trick pony, you have to play both ways to keep the opposition guessing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 214
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 8:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
Just a thought, but do the opposition know that we are going to try to play from the back so they play a high pressing game to make us more likely to make a mistake, if the opposition know we’re a big punt type of team then they would have to have more men at the back, hence you cannot just be a one trick pony, you have to play both ways to keep the opposition guessing.

I think this is a big part of it. We do not seem to research opposing teams, but stubbornly stick to this philosophy. Hurst was a stubborn man but it was always born of reason, however we may have disagreed. This is seemingly through perseverance, rather than tactical decisiveness of the opposition.

Hurst seemingly set up a team to play against the team we were facing, Artell seems to set up a team as to how he feels we should play, which is how it works with exceptional players as there's a mantra and ethos engrained. We've got Rodgers who has the best agent in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 214
Theimperialcoroner
February 10, 2024, 8:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Quoted from out of town

That’s not what he said at all. As for blaming the fans for the defeat that’s twaddle. He did say we stopped doing what we were supposed to do after we’d conceded, but how in any way is that blaming the fans for the defeat? It’s just not.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 214
blundellpork
February 10, 2024, 8:14pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Our insistence on playing out from the back simply invites teams to press us. I have no objection to this being part of our play, but we absolutely need to vary it. By the end of the first half Stockport were charging us down in the 18 yard box, and we were playing the ball back to Cartwright who was stood on his goal line. One mistake and it’s a guaranteed goal. See their first goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 214
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 8:21pm

Table Wine Drinker
Did Stockport play it out from the back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

That’s not what he said at all. As for blaming the fans for the defeat that’s twaddle. He did say we stopped doing what we were supposed to do after we’d conceded, but how in any way is that blaming the fans for the defeat? It’s just not.

No, it’s not what he said. However I’m getting a bit drunk off with the ‘we’re too good to go down’ twaddle.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 214
Northbank Mariner
February 10, 2024, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Plankton

Yes, but they did it with purpose, and also with an end product, we just intercourse about n get nowhere then 5 passes later lose possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
I actually think he’s showing some real naivety with some of his press interviews, it can be a dangerous thing to say what you believe even if your beliefs are incorrect.

I don’t think the players changed approach on the back of the supporters being disgruntled I think it was more that they couldn’t make an impact with what they’ve been instructed to do, maybe Artell needs to show a bit of magnanimity & humility.

The supporters bit actually didn’t trigger me it was the bollox about “metrics”, he needs to understand people who go to BP look forward to it all week & spend a big chunk of their disposable income on Town, to them (like me) the only “metric” is the result after the final whistle.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

Stockport never got out of 3rd gear, they didn’t need to.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 214
IlkleyMariner
February 10, 2024, 9:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from out of town

A rather stupid thing to do David……
I like most of what you have done, but if we don’t have players who can do what you ask, ask them to do something they can do.

Rome was not built in a day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 214
MaccasBoots
February 10, 2024, 9:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +684
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I actually think he’s showing some real naivety with some of his press interviews, it can be a dangerous thing to say what you believe even if your beliefs are incorrect.

I don’t think the players changed approach on the back of the supporters being disgruntled I think it was more that they couldn’t make an impact with what they’ve been instructed to do, maybe Artell needs to show a bit of magnanimity & humility.

The supporters bit actually didn’t trigger me it was the bollox about “metrics”, he needs to understand people who go to BP look forward to it all week & spend a big chunk of their disposable income on Town, to them (like me) the only “metric” is the result after the final whistle.

Managers can't win can they?

When they're cautious and non-committal (like Hurst) they get accused of hiding stuff from the fans or being oblivious to what's happening on the pitch

But when they speak their mind, it's naïve?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 214
arryarryarry
February 10, 2024, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

Non of their 3 goals came from playing out from their back.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 214
LocalLadGTFC
February 10, 2024, 9:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,223
Doesn't help when your keeper is playing it to Harvey Rodgers and he's sticking it into the 3rd row of the main stand every time he goes direct or straight to one of there players everytime he goes short. There's no way he should be starting against Colchester, i'd rather have young Bramwell in there
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 60 - 214
Swansea_Mariner
February 10, 2024, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Doesn't help when your keeper is playing it to Harvey Rodgers and he's sticking it into the 3rd row of the main stand every time he goes direct or straight to one of there players everytime he goes short. There's no way he should be starting against Colchester, i'd rather have young Bramwell in there

Bramwell appears composed on the ball and more likely to manage what Artel wants from what I've seen. Give him a go I say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 214
GyMariner
February 10, 2024, 9:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
How long is Doug out for?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner
How long is Doug out for?

He was doing the pre match running today with Glennon, Wood and Wilson. Hunt was only spotted watching, either injured or totally out of contention.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 214
fishcake63
February 10, 2024, 10:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Can we stop playing niall maher please mr artell you was a cb why cant you see he cant defend to save his life
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 214
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 12:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I agree, he is really poor. Pretty much every week, as is Maher.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 214
Yoda
February 11, 2024, 12:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Maher is a joke always getting pulled out of position chasing balls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 214
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 1:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
You have to ask what the centre halfs were doing for their third goal with three Stockport players unmarked. Does no one take charge in that defence?
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 8:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry
You have to ask what the centre halfs were doing for their third goal with three Stockport players unmarked. Does no one take charge in that defence?

No.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 214
moosey_club
February 11, 2024, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58

Challinors post match interview stated exactly this. They set traps for us and we walked into them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 214
dapperz fun pub
February 11, 2024, 9:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Challinors post match interview stated exactly this. They set traps for us and we walked into them.

Even with the  traps they set they looked physically bigger stronger than us pretty much all over the park without even mentioning how organised they were. We didn’t even see the best of Stockport imo they have another gear to go to which they didn’t use yesterday.  Worrying times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:08am
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete
It's hard enough trying to beat the in form team that is top of the league.

There is no need to give them gifts and try to do things you are not very good at.

Take a hard look at yourself Artell and smell the coffee.

How did DA give them gifts?  Cartwright gave them a gift, Clifton gave them a gift and the whole of the defence gifted the third goal scorer with a free header.  Not much you can do about that from the touchline!

Reply: 71 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:11am
Guest User
Quoted from fishcake63
No this is on artell messing about at back again i'm all for playing but sometimes during a 90 min you have to get rid we are lge 2 , if we lose next week & we will he on borrowed time & stop blaming us for your mistakes

I didn't know Artell was playing in the back four!

Reply: 72 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 9:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

How did DA give them gifts?  Cartwright gave them a gift, Clifton gave them a gift and the whole of the defence gifted the third goal scorer with a free header.  Not much you can do about that from the touchline!

He basically tells the opposition how his team is going to play. It’s so easy. They picked us apart at will.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:18am
Guest User
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Exactly how I interpreted it, it's on the players to drown out the noise from the fans.

And me too, but some people have an agenda and just want DA gone, in fact one poster said he didn't like DA before he even signed for us!

Reply: 74 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:20am
Guest User
Quoted from Phil the cod

Yeah right, and you can just imagine the fans reaction when 'hoof ball' doesn't work!

Reply: 75 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:24am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

How long have you been watching football, whenever you play excrement especially at home the fans will moan and have every right to do so. Today we were excrement, especially pissing about with the ball at the back, we gave one goal away doing it then in the second half 3-1 down we were still pissing about with it.

We scored one goal early on in that second half then never troubled them again, we created intercourse all passing from centre half to full back then back again.

We just don't have the players to do it and on that showing we are no better if not worse than before the transfer window.

Two of the better defensive players we signed were both out injured.

Reply: 76 - 214
dapperz fun pub
February 11, 2024, 9:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Yeah right, and you can just imagine the fans reaction when 'hoof ball' doesn't work!

No ones asking for hoofball as such but more of a variation of play.   It was obvious early doors yesterday that playing out from the back was causing all sorts of problems. In the second half they eased the press cos the game was won it wasn’t because we got better.  The good thing is I suppose not everyone is as good Stockport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 214
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 9:25am

Quoted from MuddyWaters

He basically tells the opposition how his team is going to play. It’s so easy. They picked us apart at will.

Every manager in the division would pick us to play every week if they could. All you have to do is press us and force mistakes. Like taking candy from a baby. Then once you are a couple of goals up rest your best forwards and defend. We don't have the attacking threat to carve teams open.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 78 - 214
golfer
February 11, 2024, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Rodgers and Maher are no better than the ageing Waterfall yet we are stuck with these two game after game. Waterfall did at least give his all and was a threat whenever we got a corner or free kick. Cartwright was sent here to get experience - he's definitely getting experience behind these two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:28am
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons
DA blames the fans eh?
Well first 2 goals today we gifted them with a shiny ribbon on.
We had a corner today and Eisa/another took it short lost the ball and Stockport got a corner.What do you work on all week Mr Artell because its not set pieces ? Today's horror show stemmed from the dangerous brothers Maher and Rodgers not being able to play out defend or distribute.Added to this they got zero help from CM  to me with this squad the best form of defence is attack maybe we should try that Danny Rose must be fed up he runs his balls off for nothing every game  I didn't expect to beat Stockport and predicted 1-3 Colchester is massive we cang afford to lose.

Actually no he didn't.  Watch the interview again (if you even watched it in the first place), and see what he ACTUALLY said!

Reply: 80 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:31am
Guest User
Quoted from Yoda
He knows he is getting sacked after the next two games, he probably realises it’s his last managerial role in the football league.

You are an unbelievable idiot.

Reply: 81 - 214
golfer
February 11, 2024, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Quoted from 123614

I didn't know Artell was playing in the back four!

We might have done better if he was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Two of the better defensive players we signed were both out injured.

Two?
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:42am
Guest User
Quoted from Plankton

I think this is a big part of it. We do not seem to research opposing teams, but stubbornly stick to this philosophy. Hurst was a stubborn man but it was always born of reason, however we may have disagreed. This is seemingly through perseverance, rather than tactical decisiveness of the opposition.

Hurst seemingly set up a team to play against the team we were facing, Artell seems to set up a team as to how he feels we should play, which is how it works with exceptional players as there's a mantra and ethos engrained. We've got Rodgers who has the best agent in football.

Well that didn't do PH much good, also I remember people moaning on here that he should pay more attention to how we played instead of trying to stop the way the opposition played.

Reply: 84 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Well that didn't do PH much good, also I remember people moaning on here that he should pay more attention to how we played instead of trying to stop the way the opposition played.

There’s a difference between setting up to play a different way and then dogmatically sticking to it even though you’re getting picked apart every week.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:52am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
He said that the fans’ reaction is making the players hoof it. That’s as good as laying the blame at the door of the fans. Reality is that his approach isn’t fit for purpose and will take us down.

What he actually said was, "I understand the fans reaction", and " we started whacking the ball forward because the fans demanded it".

That is NOT blaming the fans, it is blaming the players for reacting to the fans demands instead of playing to the Managers instructions.  

Reply: 86 - 214
February 11, 2024, 9:57am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The thing is it is not up to the players to change the way they have been told to play, that is the managers job.

Reply: 87 - 214
pen penfras
February 11, 2024, 10:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Quoted from 123614

And me too, but some people have an agenda and just want DA gone, in fact one poster said he didn't like DA before he even signed for us!

Probably me, not that I didn't like him, I just looked at him in the same way I do players. If their last season was a relegation one, I expect them to be rubbish. How many exceptions to that have we had?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 214
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2024, 10:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Quoted from 123614

Clifton gave a dubious foul away on the age of their box. That's not a gift, there's no way they should score with one pass from there. Defence totally asleep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:04am
Guest User
Quoted from blundellpork
Our insistence on playing out from the back simply invites teams to press us. I have no objection to this being part of our play, but we absolutely need to vary it. By the end of the first half Stockport were charging us down in the 18 yard box, and we were playing the ball back to Cartwright who was stood on his goal line. One mistake and it’s a guaranteed goal. See their first goal.

And that is the name of the game!  It's a tactic to bring some of their players forward, and out of their defensive positions, to give us more room to attack IF we can get past the pressing opposition.  I have seen it happen a few times, but unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.  I think we should remember that we are a League Two side for a reason, and in reference to yesterdays game, remember that Stockport are top of the League and have not lost away from home since August of last year.

Reply: 90 - 214
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

And that is the name of the game!  It's a tactic to bring some of their players forward, and out of their defensive positions, to give us more room to attack IF we can get past the pressing opposition.  I have seen it happen a few times, but unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.  I think we should remember that we are a League Two side for a reason, and in reference to yesterdays game, remember that Stockport are top of the League and have not lost away from home since August of last year.

What’s your excuse for the Walsall game then? Harrogate? Tranmere? All the others?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

The thing is it is not up to the players to change the way they have been told to play, that is the managers job.

Hmmm… I get your point for sure & agree but disagree. You sometimes have to accept that professional footballers can make their own decisions on the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 214
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from 123614
I think we should remember that we are a League Two side

In fairness to Artell, he’s having a bloody good go at doing something about that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:11am
Guest User
[quote=355]

Clifton gave a dubious foul away on the age of their box. That's not a gift, there's no way they should score with one pass from there. Defence totally asleep. [/quote]

As was Clifton.  He was 2 yards away from the ball, and should have stepped in front of it to stop the quick free kick, same as you see Sunday League players do!

Reply: 94 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:13am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Two?

Yes, Curtis Thompson (DM)  and Doug Tharme (CB).

Reply: 95 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:18am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s a difference between setting up to play a different way and then dogmatically sticking to it even though you’re getting picked apart every week.

The thing is, I can't see how changing the way we play again, is going to be very productive.  Again, it will take time to change and adapt, and as the Forum shows, people don't like to give the manager time, he said when he first came into the job that it would take many months.  Also, what system would we change to, do we have the players to be able to adapt to a new way of playing?

Reply: 96 - 214
sam gy
February 11, 2024, 10:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
It’s not what he meant at all, and I’m sure most of you know that. Within the context of the interview it was clear to me he didn’t mean that.

It’s exactly the same scenario as when a bunch of fans started crying about Hurst saying the fans were spoilt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 214
pen penfras
February 11, 2024, 10:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 123614

The thing is, I can't see how changing the way we play again, is going to be very productive.  Again, it will take time to change and adapt, and as the Forum shows, people don't like to give the manager time, he said when he first came into the job that it would take many months.  Also, what system would we change to, do we have the players to be able to adapt to a new way of playing?

Saying it'll take time doesn't excuse what we're watching. Nobody expected anything from this season when he came in, so time was well and truly on his side.

I've never heard a manager say anything else. It's their get out for it not instantly working. And that's fair enough when you haven't been able to sign your own players yet. What's not fair enough is making a team that was missing lots of chances and losing by the odd goal now look like cannon fodder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:26am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

What’s your excuse for the Walsall game then? Harrogate? Tranmere? All the others?

I'm not making excuses for any games we lost, I'm just saying that DA stated when he joined the club that it would take many months before we could see a successful change to the way we play.  He inherited a squad of players that PH brought in, plus in the last two weeks 6 players of his own choosing from the January window.  Two of those defensive players are out injured, and I believe that when they return we will become more solid at the back.

Reply: 99 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 10:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
It’s not what he meant at all, and I’m sure most of you know that. Within the context of the interview it was clear to me he didn’t mean that.

It’s exactly the same scenario as when a bunch of fans started crying about Hurst saying the fans were spoilt.

At least we’re not going to concede loads of goals in the next game like we did at Halifax after PH said what he said 🤔

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:31am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

Saying it'll take time doesn't excuse what we're watching. Nobody expected anything from this season when he came in, so time was well and truly on his side.

I've never heard a manager say anything else. It's their get out for it not instantly working. And that's fair enough when you haven't been able to sign your own players yet. What's not fair enough is making a team that was missing lots of chances and losing by the odd goal now look like cannon fodder.

We have scored more goals than Harrogate who are in 7th place and one less than Barrow who are 4th.

Reply: 101 - 214
rancido
February 11, 2024, 10:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Clifton gave a dubious foul away on the age of their box. That's not a gift, there's no way they should score with one pass from there. Defence totally asleep.

Exactly - then instead of reacting he proceeded to debate the issue with the ref instead of stopping the kick being taken. It wasn't just them defence, the whole team were slow to react.
It doesn't matter how much you debate whether playing out from the back is right or wrong , the fact remains that we gifted them 3 goals from players making mistakes.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:39am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

So, we have so far scored 42 goals which is only 7 less than we scored in the whole of season 22/23 where we finished 11th in League Two, and where we scored 49.  Also, we have scored 4 more goals than Harrogate who are in 7th position in League Two and 1 less than Barrow who are 4th

Reply: 103 - 214
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

So, we have so far scored 42 goals which is only 7 less than we scored in the whole of season 22/23 where we finished 11th in League Two, and where we scored 49.  Also, we have scored 4 more goals than Harrogate who are in 7th position in League Two and 1 less than Barrow who are 4th

Hi David Artell’s mum.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 214
rancido
February 11, 2024, 10:45am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Hi David Artell’s mum.

Childish remark.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 214
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Childish remark.

Hi David Artell’s wife.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 214
rancido
February 11, 2024, 10:52am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Hi David Artell’s wife.

An even more childish remark.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 214
pen penfras
February 11, 2024, 10:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 123614

What's your point? It's going well? We either draw or get hammered at the moment. Under Hurst we were missing tap ins every week and losing by 1 goal. You could see how we could turn that around. Artell has made us look like we'll concede loads more and with the exception of Notts County game we don't look like scoring any more.

It's awful and if you can't see that this is markedly worse then you might need help of some sort.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 214
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

What's your point? It's going well? We either draw or get hammered at the moment. Under Hurst we were missing tap ins every week and losing by 1 goal. You could see how we could turn that around. Artell has made us look like we'll concede loads more and with the exception of Notts County game we don't look like scoring any more.

It's awful and if you can't see that this is markedly worse then you might need help of some sort.

Agree with this. But will the owners accept they’ve made a mistake and cut their losses? Or will they stubbornly continue down a path that’s destined to fail?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 214
pen penfras
February 11, 2024, 11:00am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Agree with this. But will the owners accept they’ve made a mistake and cut their losses? Or will they stubbornly continue down a path that’s destined to fail?

I think the only way we sell a decent amount of season tickets next season is too replace him and pick up a few wins towards the end of the season. That might bring a slight bit of optimism about next season. I suppose it would if we had a decent run in and playing well, but that seems unlikely right now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 214
StacyColdicotts_hairline
February 11, 2024, 11:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Quoted from pen penfras

Its a real worry. Performances through out the team have dropped, even since Hurst was sacked. There doesn't appear to be any improvement,  anywhere.
Still defensively naive, passing it awkwardly around the back -  the passing game that appeared to be working has gone out of the window. We have barely created a chance in 120mins of football now. Tactically terrible. Just high press this team and they crumble. Didn't take L2 managers long to figure Artell out.  

Most strikingly and certainly most worryingly we have slipped closer to the trap door and seem to have no fight in us whatsoever.

Cant see Artell turning this around now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 214
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 11:02am

Quoted from 123614

The thing is, I can't see how changing the way we play again, is going to be very productive.  Again, it will take time to change and adapt, and as the Forum shows, people don't like to give the manager time, he said when he first came into the job that it would take many months.  

It was unbelievably naive to embark on a process that will take many months when we were a few points above the relegation zone. Even if we stay up season ticket sales will tank. Football managers don't get "many months". Bignot and Holloway talked about grandiose long term plans and utterly failed in the here and now. A year ago everyone was talking about us and the future looked bright now we have reverted to relegation fodder.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 112 - 214
FishySmithy
February 11, 2024, 11:02am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Unpopular opinion but don’t really care the club is both run and managed by used cars salesmen’s looks to good to be true moto. Wearing thin now, need action and results no more poppy c**k sort it out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

It was unbelievably naive to embark on a process that will take many months when we were a few points above the relegation zone. Even if we stay up season ticket sales will tank. Football managers don't get "many months". Bignot and Holloway talked about grandiose long term plans and utterly failed in the here and now. A year ago everyone was talking about us and the future looked bright now we have reverted to relegation fodder.

Using more purest terms & referencing Artell is doing the same thing in his interviews as Holloway & Bignot. There are some real personality similarities here across all 3 managers with a message that kind of says “I am the messiah” when he may turn out to be a very naughty boy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 214
February 11, 2024, 11:55am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

#

I don't need your advice on any kind of help I might need thankyou.

Reply: 115 - 214
February 11, 2024, 11:56am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

Hi David Artell’s mum.

How old are you?

Reply: 116 - 214
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

How old are you?

To be honest, old enough to know you’re a bit odd

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 214
February 11, 2024, 12:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

To be honest, old enough to know you’re a bit odd

I very much doubt that.

Reply: 118 - 214
It Bites
February 11, 2024, 12:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
Artell didn’t blame the fans at all . It’s like a click bait headline that only a simpleton or a tacky journalist would write .
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 214
IlkleyMariner
February 11, 2024, 12:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from out of town

I’ve now had the opportunity to listen to Artell post match interview.
I’m not sure who the OP of this thread is. I’ve not noticed any of their posts before.
Could it be a reporter from the Sun or some other scurrilous rag?

It certainly does not reflect what Artell said.
I get it. People are disappointed in yesterdays first half, but let’s stick to accurate threads not the nonsense set up by the OP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 214
rancido
February 11, 2024, 12:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

I’ve now had the opportunity to listen to Artell post match interview.
I’m not sure who the OP of this thread is. I’ve not noticed any of their posts before.
Could it be a reporter from the Sun or some other scurrilous rag?

It certainly does not reflect what Artell said.
I get it. People are disappointed in yesterdays first half, but let’s stick to accurate threads not the nonsense set up by the OP

But aren't a lot of posts on here similar? They dissect an interview until they find something to hammer the interviewed person with to suit their own agenda.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 214
moosey_club
February 11, 2024, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Even with the  traps they set they looked physically bigger stronger than us pretty much all over the park without even mentioning how organised they were. We didn’t even see the best of Stockport imo they have another gear to go to which they didn’t use yesterday.  Worrying times

Without a doubt they had several more gears if needed...better players technically....very organised...but we just gifted them it..the first two goals killed us and the disallowed goal didn't help.
I dont think I had any doubts they would have beaten us regardless but such naive stuff at times from professional footballers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 214
rancido
February 11, 2024, 2:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Without a doubt they had several more gears if needed...better players technically....very organised...but we just gifted them it..the first two goals killed us and the disallowed goal didn't help.
I dont think I had any doubts they would have beaten us regardless but such naive stuff at times from professional footballers.

That's the bit that annoys me most. Regardless of tactics, so called " professional footballers" are not doing the basic things that will have been coached into them from their very early years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 214
toontown
February 11, 2024, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

I think the naive stuff is coming from the manager expecting low confidence poor defenders to be able to switch to his high risk style of play and when the inevitable mistakes happen not let it effect their confidence still further.

Sure give it a try but when it obviously isn't working start to accommodate their actual abilities into your plan.

It might've worked when he first arrived when teams hadnt worked us out (Newport) or against teams that also play the same style (notts, mk dons) or against teams that were abysmal (Salford).
Now every team knows how to get at us we are lambs to the slaughter.

Let's just hope Colchester and Donny are as bad or worse than Salford were against us, looking at the table that is possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 214
pontoonlew
February 11, 2024, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
A 13 page thread for something that didn’t even happen.

I’ll be absolutely buzzing if it clicks under Artell and the people seemingly hell bent on him failing have to start reluctantly enjoying the football.

He’s given us the ‘teething issues’he promised in bucket loads and it may transpire that he’s not up to it, but the absolute determination to hammer the guy by either point blank lying or blaming him for certain things out of his control makes for tough reading.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 214
rancido
February 11, 2024, 3:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’ll be absolutely buzzing if it clicks under Artell and the people seemingly hell bent on him failing have to start reluctantly enjoying the football.

He’s given us the ‘teething issues’he promised in bucket loads and it may transpire that he’s not up to it, but the absolute determination to hammer the guy by either point blank lying or blaming him for certain things out of his control makes for tough reading.

In a nutshell.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Yes, Curtis Thompson (DM)  and Doug Tharme (CB).

Thompson played. Although you could be forgiven for thinking he didn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 214
Mayaman
February 11, 2024, 5:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from 123614

Actually no he didn't.  Watch the interview again (if you even watched it in the first place), and see what he ACTUALLY said!

I watched the interview thinking it would be codswallop.  He actually gives a fair assessment of the game and the fans reaction.  I didn't agree with everything he said but what he said about the fans is right.  It doesn't help the team with them booing and walking out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 214
Kris2
February 11, 2024, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pontoonlew

I can't be bothered to read 13 pages of nonsense but I'd bet Denni and Louth are the leads on this thread  .

Both have an obsession with getting managers sacked and did a hatchet job on Hurst before he even returned to the club while whinging about every single defeat he had. Artell has barely been in the job and some people are continuing with the same patterns as if they enjoy it. I say put down your bottles of White Lightning, stop thinking about the good old days when you were in the fishing industry before it collapsed and the club was going toe to toe with the big boys, neither of those things are coming back. It's been 40 years since the mid-80's, time to move on.

Lots of clubs that are having some success now had to suffer way worse declines than we have, that includes yesterday's opponents. We've yet to see the real depths of non-league relegation battles or slipping further down the pyramid as we've always been able to compete in the NL each time after a period of rebuilding from NL mediocrity. Perhaps if we really had fallen into non-league decline as some teams have then our fans might be less arrogant. We're so self-important, we act like judge,jury and executioner, we act like the fans are more important than anything else and I honestly believe many feel that way. They soon get offender when a manager isn't going to get on their knees and suck up to them at every opportunity.

Private Message
Reply: 129 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 5:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman

I watched the interview thinking it would be codswallop.  He actually gives a fair assessment of the game and the fans reaction.  I didn't agree with everything he said but what he said about the fans is right.  It doesn't help the team with them booing and walking out.

Over five and a half thousand home fans turned up yesterday, as they do most weeks, to be entertained not to watch another timid capitulation. Our best performance this season was against Crewe, apart from Conteh the rest of the squad are still here, try and replicate and get the crowd up.

All we’re getting is patronising BS. Between the owners and the coaches, there needs to be some leadership otherwise it’s going to go horribly wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 214
louth_in_the_south
February 11, 2024, 5:54pm

Exile
Quoted from pontoonlew

Teething issues. Bit of an understatement

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 214
moosey_club
February 11, 2024, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

That's the bit that annoys me most. Regardless of tactics, so called " professional footballers" are not doing the basic things that will have been coached into them from their very early years.

One of the biggest FFS moments yesterday was a short corner at the Imperial Ave corner....a Stockport player was stood about 5 yds away but they still tried to take it..lost the ball and Stockport were in on the counter.....I mean just why would you even try that ?? Beggar's belief.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 214
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

One of the biggest FFS moments yesterday was a short corner at the Imperial Ave corner....a Stockport player was stood about 5 yds away but they still tried to take it..lost the ball and Stockport were in on the counter.....I mean just why would you even try that ?? Beggar's belief.

Exactly what our group were saying, mind boggling incompetence.
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 214
denni266
February 11, 2024, 6:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Kris2

I can't be bothered to read 13 pages of nonsense but I'd bet Denni and Louth are the leads on this thread  .

Both have an obsession with getting managers sacked and did a hatchet job on Hurst before he even returned to the club while whinging about every single defeat he had. Artell has barely been in the job and some people are continuing with the same patterns as if they enjoy it. I say put down your bottles of White Lightning, stop thinking about the good old days when you were in the fishing industry before it collapsed and the club was going toe to toe with the big boys, neither of those things are coming back. It's been 40 years since the mid-80's, time to move on.

Lots of clubs that are having some success now had to suffer way worse declines than we have, that includes yesterday's opponents. We've yet to see the real depths of non-league relegation battles or slipping further down the pyramid as we've always been able to compete in the NL each time after a period of rebuilding from NL mediocrity. Perhaps if we really had fallen into non-league decline as some teams have then our fans might be less arrogant. We're so self-important, we act like judge,jury and executioner, we act like the fans are more important than anything else and I honestly believe many feel that way. They soon get offender when a manager isn't going to get on their knees and suck up to them at every opportunity.

Thankyou for following me so closley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 214
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2024, 6:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew

I think most of us wish for this to end well, but we have seen enough poor Grimsby Town teams and managers over the years to know how this is probably going to pan out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 214
GollyGTFC
February 11, 2024, 7:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
I’ve not really got an issue with the comments about us playing long because the fans booed and pressured the players. That is probably factual correct. You could argue we might have gone in 5-0 down at HT it Cartwright hadn’t been peer pressured into going long. We’ll never know.

What I do have any issue with however is the myth that DA is subtly trying to sow that our away form is “good”. It isn’t. He’s managed 5 league away games and 1 in the FA Cup and we’ve only won 1 of those games. I don’t think that constitutes “good”.

I mean it’s better than our home form but I would call our away form AVERAGE against our ABJECT home form.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 136 - 214
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 7:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I’ve not really got an issue with the comments about us playing long because the fans booed and pressured the players. That is probably factual correct. You could argue we might have gone in 5-0 down at HT it Cartwright hadn’t been peer pressured into going long. We’ll never know.

What I do have any issue with however is the myth that DA is subtly trying to sow that our away form is “good”. It isn’t. He’s managed 5 league away games and 1 in the FA Cup and we’ve only won 1 of those games. I don’t think that constitutes “good”.

I mean it’s better than our home form but I would call our away form AVERAGE against our ABJECT home form.

Good point on the away form. He’s taking the fans as stupid if he thinks that this so called ‘away form’ is going to wash.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 214
fishcake63
February 11, 2024, 8:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
He shooting himself taking the fans on we are not idiots we've seen this crap with hollohead , i feel we are sleepwalking to national lge under this guy & after all the hard work to get back two seasons ago i'm at my wits end thinking here we go again , he just not willing to change his way or the highway but i feel the players will eventually throw him under a bus not because they dont like him or understand him but because they cant play like he asking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 214
louth_in_the_south
February 12, 2024, 9:35am

Exile
Quoted from Kris2

Yes I’m no fan of DA ( understatement ) but I definitely didn’t do a hatchet job on hurst thank you.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 214
londonmariner2
February 12, 2024, 9:45am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: -24
Quoted from Phil the cod

So would you all prefer that we brought back Russel Slade?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 214
February 12, 2024, 9:45am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

5 yards away!  Don't think so, they have to be 10 yards away when the corner is taken.

Reply: 141 - 214
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 10:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from londonmariner2

So would you all prefer that we brought back Russel Slade?

MK1 yes tbf - first season he tried similiar to what Artell is now , total football . Was a joy to watch but in the end didn't bring success in league 2 .

Changed to a more 'league 2 style' second season and it was mighty effective .

I'm not sure league 2 has changed much , to do well you seem to need industrial , physical and organised teams that can play a bit - yes there is Notts trying to play like Barcelona but I have not seen any others of note - Mansfield can play but mix it aswell, same with Stockport and Barrow who impressed me most .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 214
paulmblythe
February 12, 2024, 10:04am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from barralad

He said that is the first goal we've conceded as a direct result of playing out from the back. Is he right? On the basis we've conceded16 in the last four home games just maybe the problem isnt confined to that area of the performance

i think theres something in this. if memory serves most have come from turnovers in play. ie hoof ball up and not win it or we loose posession in the oposiitons half and they run at us at pace(often but not always down our right hand side).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 214
CSLM
February 12, 2024, 10:05am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from 123614

5 yards away!  Don't think so, they have to be 10 yards away when the corner is taken.

He wasn't even 5 yards away. It was a ridiculous decision to pass it though the guy obviously shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2024, 11:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

My dad was doing his nut when that happened, but it did lead to something very unusual -  a very rare piece of defending from Rodgers to stop them getting a 4th, this team are absolute sausages,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 214
IlkleyMariner
February 12, 2024, 11:54am
Champagne Drinker
Can we get rid of this post, or at least change the title to reflect what he actually said…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 214
TownSNAFU5
February 12, 2024, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Stockport was our only home defeat in playing 5 of the top 7 teams at home (I believe so anyway).  

But we have conceded a shedload of goals at home and taken 1 point at home from the last 15.

We drop points from winning positions.  We sometimes capitulate after going a goal down.  We have no leadership on the pitch and worse of all, we have no fight.  All critical weaknesses when in a relegation fight.  Not great reasons for optimism unfortunately.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 214
forza ivano
February 12, 2024, 12:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Artells away record is played 5, won 1 drawn 3, lost 1 so 6 points from 5 games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 214
DB
February 12, 2024, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

My dad was doing his nut when that happened, but it did lead to something very unusual -  a very rare piece of defending from Rodgers to stop them getting a 4th, this team are absolute sausages,

Sorry to disagree they are not sausages. Sausages are very tasty which the team isn't but they perform like a load of old bangers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 214
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 5:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Tweet 1757093727254806752 will appear here...

Hopefully he means interesting in a good way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 214
arryarryarry
February 12, 2024, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

You obviously weren't watching the TV at that point, they were clearly less than 10 yards away sadly the Ref just ignored it.

Now have a day off.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 214
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
Tweet 1757093727254806752 will appear here...

Hopefully he means interesting in a good way

Curiouser and curiouser.

It’s pretty common for Town managers to give batshít interviews prior to pressing the eject button on their GTFC career. I hope, for Artell’s sake, this isn’t that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 214
pontoonlew
February 12, 2024, 6:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Given Tonduer likes to be the star of the show at times and has already appeared to take a dislike to Artell, I feel this can only be a bad thing…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 214
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 214
davmariner
February 12, 2024, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Don’t think his characterisation of what went on under Hurst is accurate at all.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 214
chaos33
February 12, 2024, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Why should we be worried that it might be a bad thing? What’s the worst that can happen? Artell tees up a prelude to quitting? He’s not going to, but if he did…..it’s not going great is it. I’d care less about that than about our prospective results and he ain’t winning us many points with his acumen is he.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 214
davmariner
February 12, 2024, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Sorry to say it but this guy has no idea what he’s talking about. Listening to him makes me feel even worse.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2024, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
There wasn’t much in it that was remotely interesting. Most worryingly, he just seems to be on a massive ego trip, in an ‘I’m right, Hurst was wrong’ sort of way.
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 214
davmariner
February 12, 2024, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
There wasn’t much in it that was remotely interesting. Most worryingly, he just seems to be on a massive ego trip, in an ‘I’m right, Hurst was wrong’ sort of way.

He’s just all over the place and not particularly coherent with his answers. Wittering on about being relegated to the Conference whacking it up, which makes no sense. It was Holloway’s excrement players and playing out which cost us points. And clearly didn't watch us last season where we played good football in spells under Hurst.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 214
DB
February 12, 2024, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The more I listen to him the more, I'm sorry to say, he sounds like oloway. Tells us what we like to hear and again reassures us we won't get relegated. As far as I'm concerned, tomorrow is a big game, so time will tell.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 214
pontoonlew
February 12, 2024, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker
I think it’s a good interview, Tonduer asks some really good questions and Artell gives some pretty level headed answers whilst acknowledging that there’s a lot of issues to be resolved.

It’s the most open I’ve heard Artell so far, I’m not sure how it can be deemed to be otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 214
Northbank Mariner
February 12, 2024, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Honestly, this forum is unbelievable....complain about Hursts pragmatic, don't lose at any cost, to complaining about a man who's strong enough to believe that a change in tactics was needed....and actually Artell is correct, we did lump it up to often and people moaned about that!!
Liked what he said about Wilson, and it would appear that the players (listen to his Rose comment) are starting to buy into his methodology.

I've said it before, I'm still not convinced by Artell, but I have to give him time, its the right thing to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 214
February 12, 2024, 6:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

You obviously weren't watching the TV at that point, they were clearly less than 10 yards away sadly the Ref just ignored it.

Now have a day off.

That's good, coming from you!

Reply: 163 - 214
DB
February 12, 2024, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Honestly, this forum is unbelievable....complain about Hursts pragmatic, don't lose at any cost, to complaining about a man who's strong enough to believe that a change in tactics was needed....and actually Artell is correct, we did lump it up to often and people moaned about that!!
Liked what he said about Wilson, and it would appear that the players (listen to his Rose comment) are starting to buy into his methodology.

I've said it before, I'm still not convinced by Artell, but I have to give him time, its the right thing to do.

I agree with your post but I'm undecided if Artell is a charlatan, or not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 214
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2024, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
It was a good honest and interesting interview and I agree with just about everything he said.

I sincerely hope we can get a couple of results and calm frayed nerves as we have been crying out for someone with a cast iron belief in playing the right way which in the end will prove vital for our long term success.

Private Message
Reply: 165 - 214
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
My main takeaway from that is that Artell doesn't know what the royal "we" is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 214
chipsandgravy
February 12, 2024, 7:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
I haven't really connected to Artell at all up to this point. However I thought this interview was a thoughtful and honest interview. There was a lot of sense to what he was saying - I just hope we manage to secure enough points over the next few weeks to see his plan and philosophy develop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 214
GhostDan
February 12, 2024, 7:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +984
Overall was a pretty good interview from JT and Artell, I don’t get the few digs he made at Hurst, don’t really think they were needed - especially when we’ve not really seen any signs of improvements in the 11/2 games he’s been in the hot seat.

Huge 2 games coming up this week, let’s hope we can turn the corner.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 214
Hagrid
February 12, 2024, 7:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Yeah didnt get the Hurst digs. Weren't needed.

But thought he was honest, considered in his words, and cant fault that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 214
It Bites
February 12, 2024, 7:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Good interview that . He gave away a lot more than most would in his situation. 3 wins in the next 5 games and he might start to relax a bit more
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 214
Chrisblor
February 12, 2024, 7:31pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,856
Gold Stars: 235
lmao the best bit is where he calls out the OP of this thread for spreading balderdash

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 214
CSLM
February 12, 2024, 7:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Approval: +642
I really like the way he talks. He is honest and he believes in what he says. Weather it will work out or not is questionable lol but I think it's admirable that he has a plan and is going to stick to it. As I said before it could go very wrong but if it goes right we may achieve things that we definitely wouldn't have before.

I don't think he was really digging Hurst out. Some of those comments were perhaps a little ill informed but you can't really blame him for generalising our style.

Hopefully things will pick up and the questions and emotions will be very different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 214
smokey111
February 12, 2024, 7:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from CSLM
I really like the way he talks. He is honest and he believes in what he says. Weather it will work out or not is questionable lol but I think it's admirable that he has a plan and is going to stick to it. As I said before it could go very wrong but if it goes right we may achieve things that we definitely wouldn't have before.

I don't think he was really digging Hurst out. Some of those comments were perhaps a little ill informed but you can't really blame him for generalising our style.

Hopefully things will pick up and the questions and emotions will be very different.

Supportive of him and what he said. However, that was a clear pop at Hurst.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 214
stevethefish
February 12, 2024, 7:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
Talk less. Don’t feel qualified or entitled to look back and comment on history which is higher than our current predicament.. Get 3 points tomorrow. Focus on the job and the performance and how we will win against a team below us that is millions and millions of pounds in debt. Please, help us to help you and not get distracted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 214
chaos33
February 12, 2024, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Think my favourite bit (and most ironic), was him saying that he didn’t like hearing some in the crowd behind him bawling out our young goalkeeper for his error  as ‘it’s not gonna help him. It’s just not!’. Having himself just launched into him verbally.

Some encouraging bits, and I give him credit for his candour but for me, he says too much and does too little. It’s like a lecturer or professor spending hours explaining the theory and expounding the rationale, and then publishing a duff book.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 214
GrimRob
February 12, 2024, 8:01pm

Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Does it occur to you that different people complained about different things? There are a few hundred voices on here and we disagree about lots of things. In general people post more when they unhappy and less when they are happy, that is human nature. People like you speak as though the Fishy was some giant amorphous cloud-like intelligence.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 176 - 214
marinerjase
February 12, 2024, 8:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
I understand why he’s name dropped Rose - too quiten or dispel any rift rumours..- but not sure I agree with him doing so. Unnecessary for me.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 214
Nelly GTFC
February 12, 2024, 8:26pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
lmao the best bit is where he calls out the OP of this thread for spreading balderdash
Someone called out of town, they probally are now.    Just kidding out of town, it did kinda sound that way when you first heard it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 214
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 8:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Welcome to The Fishy Big D

Hopefully he's printed off some of the stuff on here and it gives some of the players a rocket for tomorrow night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 214
GrimRob
February 12, 2024, 8:40pm

Quoted from Chrisblor

Covenentiently ignoring the fact that if you read down there are plenty of people who say they think it is balderdash. At the same time saying it's easier to play away from home.

I think getting the BP crowd on your side is very hard and a lot of our managers have battled with it. Rob Scott, Jolley, Hurst (ear cupping), Bignot. Holloway was lucky there was no crowd. I think Hurst figured it out eventually but it took him a long time.

Can't knock the interview though, he's sincere in what he believes in. I very much doubt he is going to get a year to work on his pet project though. But I will happily be proved wrong and in 20 years be sat in the David Artell stand in our brand new ground watching Championship football.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 180 - 214
ska face
February 12, 2024, 8:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from GrimRob

Covenentiently ignoring the fact that if you read down there are plenty of people who say they think it is balderdash.

I would be deeply, deeply concerned if the manager spent a single second reading the dogshíte on here.
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 214
ginnywings
February 12, 2024, 8:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
He isn't wrong about the way we have played for the last 20 years, with the same outcome.

It definitely needs a new approach, but I'm not certain he is the man to deliver it. I hope I'm wrong, and I generally wait a while before passing judgement on managers or players, but something just doesn't feel right about him to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2024, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
He isn't wrong about the way we have played for the last 20 years, with the same outcome.

It definitely needs a new approach, but I'm not certain he is the man to deliver it. I hope I'm wrong, and I generally wait a while before passing judgement on managers or players, but something just doesn't feel right about him to me.

That’s about where I am too. Really enthused by the home performance against Crewe but we’ve been generally awful since at BP.

I’m only guessing but he thinks he can get us safe and, if he does, he’ll be with us for a while.
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 214
GrimRob
February 12, 2024, 9:00pm

Quoted from ska face

I would be deeply, deeply concerned if the manager spent a single second reading the dogshíte on here.

Sometimes it is a good idea to get out of the echo chamber where everyone tells him what he wants to hear. The abuse from the Main Stand is a thousand times worse anyway and he can't ignore that, it has broken many!

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 184 - 214
davmariner
February 12, 2024, 9:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Haven’t sat in the Main Stand for about 20 years. What do they all say?!

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 214
smokey111
February 12, 2024, 9:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from davmariner
Haven’t sat in the Main Stand for about 20 years. What do they all say?!

Hoof it, by the sounds of it.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2024, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

Not all of us!
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 214
sam gy
February 12, 2024, 9:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from ska face

He doesn't read it, it was Tondeur who informed him of the post.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 214
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 12, 2024, 10:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Like others I thought it a decent interview, ( a question re Hunt’s fall from grace would have been welcomed by me ), and DA is very clear on how he wants to play and that’s not going to change whether the BP faithful go into meltdown or not.

Interesting discussion about Russell Martin & Southampton this morning who whilst now on a long unbeaten run had a few iffy results as they adapted to his new style earlier in the season. The focus of the discussion was when Martin was managing MK Dons and having introduced his new style there they asked him the old chestnut what is plan B if plan A doesn’t work? His response was there is, nor will be, a Plan B we just have to get better at the way we play plan A. Clearly DA is of the same mould and we will either get some bloody good football to watch or get relegated trying to play his way.

Brave or foolish? Time will decide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 214
February 13, 2024, 8:52am
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor

This is typical of you, putting stuff on here that is not correct.  This is what he said, and I quote, "You just told me that the fans forum, which I don't go on is saying that I am blaming the crowd for defeats.  I'm pretty sure that if we get the transcript that is not what I said at all".

So where in those two sentences did he call out the OP of that thread for spreading balderdash?

You love making stuff up to fit your agenda don't you!

Reply: 190 - 214
Abdul19
February 13, 2024, 10:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
That quote suggests that's exactly what he said  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 214
SpiritOf98
February 13, 2024, 10:16am
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Oh dear. Sometimes I wish a Mod would delete a thread and we can start it all again as ver 2.0, but improved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 214
February 13, 2024, 10:20am
Guest User
Quoted from SpiritOf98
Oh dear. Sometimes I wish a Mod would delete a thread and we can start it all again as ver 2.0, but improved.

ok - but not this thread. Just delete is fine.
Reply: 193 - 214
pizzzza
February 13, 2024, 10:29am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Quoted from sam gy

He doesn't read it, it was Tondeur who informed him of the post.

Yeah, sounded like Tondeur had told him about it before the interview started. "Hey Dave guess what they are saying on The Fishy...", probably only giving the opinion of OP and ignoring the many balancing views on here.

Anyway, Hi John! You're clearly a lurker not a poster.
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 214
GYinScuntland
February 13, 2024, 10:33am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from pizzzza

Yeah, sounded like Tondeur had told him about it before the interview started. "Hey Dave guess what they are saying on The Fishy...", probably only giving the opinion of OP and ignoring the many balancing views on here.

Anyway, Hi John! You're clearly a lurcher not a poster.

I wouldn't bet on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 214
oochiad
February 13, 2024, 10:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from smokey111

I sit in the main stand and I don’t shout hoof it as I’m prepared to give it the time that is needed but yes many around me are now shouting/screaming hoof it and generally abusing everything that’s trying to be done. I find it extremely disappointing and whilst I’m here I’ll say the playing away thing is a thing as generally the support are doing what it says on the tin, supporting!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 214
Theimperialcoroner
February 13, 2024, 10:56am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Quoted from pizzzza

Anyway, Hi John! You're clearly a lurker not a poster.

This is not true. John is one hundred percent WayneGTFC.

Not posted for a long time but when he did it was ace.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 214
1mickylyons
February 13, 2024, 2:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 123614

This is typical of you, putting stuff on here that is not correct.  This is what he said, and I quote, "You just told me that the fans forum, which I don't go on is saying that I am blaming the crowd for defeats.  I'm pretty sure that if we get the transcript that is not what I said at all".

So where in those two sentences did he call out the OP of that thread for spreading balderdash?

Another day another attack from the keyboard Pootin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 214
Chrisblor
February 13, 2024, 5:35pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,856
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 123614

DO NOT TRADUCE MY CREDIBILITY BEAR - I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 214
February 13, 2024, 6:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19
That quote suggests that's exactly what he said  

Err, I don't think you understand English!

Reply: 200 - 214
February 13, 2024, 6:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Another day another attack from the keyboard Pootin

Really?  That's what you see when I call out a guy for lying in this thread.  Unbelievable.

Reply: 201 - 214
Bristol Mariner
February 13, 2024, 6:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Quoted from out of town

Bollox you liar

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 214
February 13, 2024, 7:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Bollox you liar

The bloke is an complete fraud.

No he is not.  The players didn't stick to the plan, therefore it was their fault, FFS they need to grow a pair and ignore  the crowd, and stick to the plan they have trained for all week.  They are not 12 year old kids, they are grown men!

Reply: 203 - 214
Bristol Mariner
February 13, 2024, 7:33pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Quoted from 123614

The bloke is an complete fraud.

No he is not.  The players didn't stick to the plan, therefore it was their fault, FFS they need to grow a pair and ignore  the crowd, and stick to the plan they have trained for all week.  They are not 12 year old kids, they are grown men!

Out of town needs to be out of town

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 214
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 13, 2024, 7:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178

Stallingbrough? Healing? Brigg?

Or further?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 214
February 14, 2024, 8:50am
Guest User

#

You lost me there mate!

Reply: 206 - 214
marinerjase
February 14, 2024, 9:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
Christ it’s like being back at junior school on here at times…he said, she said..no I didn’t..yes you did..name calling, cantankerous folk.

You’re adults are you not????

Discuss/debate - then Agree, disagree..agree to disagree..without all the crap.

Not a hard concept.. 🙄

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 14, 2024, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
Christ it’s like being back at junior school on here at times…he said, she said..no I didn’t..yes you did..name calling, cantankerous folk.

Not a hard concept.. 🙄

Absolutely correct.

Notwithstanding who said what, Mr Artell ought to look at his record, look at the league table, remember that we've already spent too much time in non league and work out for himself why the natives are restless. It's not flipping rocket science.
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 14, 2024, 2:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely correct.

Notwithstanding who said what, Mr Artell ought to look at his record, look at the league table, remember that we've already spent too much time in non league and work out for himself why the natives are restless. It's not flipping rocket science.

Is that review process part of the "project" plan?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 214
MuddyWaters
February 14, 2024, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Is that review process part of the "project" plan?

It may well be. The project looks a bit like a SpaceX launch at present, unsure when or if it's ever going to get off the ground.
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 214
friskneymariner
February 14, 2024, 3:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Quoted from marinerjase

Not a hard concept.. 🙄

Hegelian Dialectic Thesis-Antithesis =Synthesis

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 214
winghams
February 14, 2024, 4:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +89
Quoted from friskneymariner

Hegelian Dialectic Thesis-Antithesis =Synthesis

Which would normally mean compromise.   Therein some of the perceived problem.
According to Kant, the ancient Greeks used the word "dialectic" to signify the logic of false appearance or semblance.
So it all comes down to who are Hegel's supporters and who are Kants.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 214
friskneymariner
February 14, 2024, 6:39pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Quoted from winghams

According to Kant, the ancient Greeks used the word "dialectic" to signify the logic of false appearance or semblance.

Excellent.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 214
HatTrickHero
February 14, 2024, 7:42pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +780
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from winghams

I think I once overheard Rob Scott calling out some fans for being Kants.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 214
22 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell blames fans for defeat

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.