Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell blames fans for defeat
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell blames fans for defeat

This thread currently has 15,647 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
February 11, 2024, 10:04am
Guest User
Quoted from blundellpork
Our insistence on playing out from the back simply invites teams to press us. I have no objection to this being part of our play, but we absolutely need to vary it. By the end of the first half Stockport were charging us down in the 18 yard box, and we were playing the ball back to Cartwright who was stood on his goal line. One mistake and it’s a guaranteed goal. See their first goal.

And that is the name of the game!  It's a tactic to bring some of their players forward, and out of their defensive positions, to give us more room to attack IF we can get past the pressing opposition.  I have seen it happen a few times, but unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.  I think we should remember that we are a League Two side for a reason, and in reference to yesterdays game, remember that Stockport are top of the League and have not lost away from home since August of last year.

Reply: 90 - 214
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 123614

And that is the name of the game!  It's a tactic to bring some of their players forward, and out of their defensive positions, to give us more room to attack IF we can get past the pressing opposition.  I have seen it happen a few times, but unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.  I think we should remember that we are a League Two side for a reason, and in reference to yesterdays game, remember that Stockport are top of the League and have not lost away from home since August of last year.

What’s your excuse for the Walsall game then? Harrogate? Tranmere? All the others?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 214
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 123614

The thing is it is not up to the players to change the way they have been told to play, that is the managers job.

Hmmm… I get your point for sure & agree but disagree. You sometimes have to accept that professional footballers can make their own decisions on the pitch.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 214
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,755
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from 123614
I think we should remember that we are a League Two side

In fairness to Artell, he’s having a bloody good go at doing something about that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:11am
Guest User
[quote=355]

Clifton gave a dubious foul away on the age of their box. That's not a gift, there's no way they should score with one pass from there. Defence totally asleep. [/quote]

As was Clifton.  He was 2 yards away from the ball, and should have stepped in front of it to stop the quick free kick, same as you see Sunday League players do!

Reply: 94 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:13am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Two?

Yes, Curtis Thompson (DM)  and Doug Tharme (CB).

Reply: 95 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:18am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s a difference between setting up to play a different way and then dogmatically sticking to it even though you’re getting picked apart every week.

The thing is, I can't see how changing the way we play again, is going to be very productive.  Again, it will take time to change and adapt, and as the Forum shows, people don't like to give the manager time, he said when he first came into the job that it would take many months.  Also, what system would we change to, do we have the players to be able to adapt to a new way of playing?

Reply: 96 - 214
sam gy
February 11, 2024, 10:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
It’s not what he meant at all, and I’m sure most of you know that. Within the context of the interview it was clear to me he didn’t mean that.

It’s exactly the same scenario as when a bunch of fans started crying about Hurst saying the fans were spoilt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 214
pen penfras
February 11, 2024, 10:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

The thing is, I can't see how changing the way we play again, is going to be very productive.  Again, it will take time to change and adapt, and as the Forum shows, people don't like to give the manager time, he said when he first came into the job that it would take many months.  Also, what system would we change to, do we have the players to be able to adapt to a new way of playing?

Saying it'll take time doesn't excuse what we're watching. Nobody expected anything from this season when he came in, so time was well and truly on his side.

I've never heard a manager say anything else. It's their get out for it not instantly working. And that's fair enough when you haven't been able to sign your own players yet. What's not fair enough is making a team that was missing lots of chances and losing by the odd goal now look like cannon fodder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 214
February 11, 2024, 10:26am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

What’s your excuse for the Walsall game then? Harrogate? Tranmere? All the others?

I'm not making excuses for any games we lost, I'm just saying that DA stated when he joined the club that it would take many months before we could see a successful change to the way we play.  He inherited a squad of players that PH brought in, plus in the last two weeks 6 players of his own choosing from the January window.  Two of those defensive players are out injured, and I believe that when they return we will become more solid at the back.

Reply: 99 - 214
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell blames fans for defeat

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.