Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 83 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,095 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TwoLeftFeet
June 8, 2022, 7:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Love BP great memories but we've needed a new ground for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 276
ska face
June 8, 2022, 8:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Can appreciate everyone starting to get itchy feet at the minute, but don’t think the owners will be moved too much from their 5-year-plan that they’ve been talking about over the past few months. The promotion might accelerate a few things, but can’t see moving grounds moving too far up the list.

The training ground is obviously top of the “big projects” agenda at the minute and I think that would have to be concluded one way or another before anything meaningful happens with a new ground. If we can’t deliver a move to a new training ground that ticks all the boxes, then this is something that might have to be incorporated into a new stadium project, for example.

Personally I’d just like to see the open corners properly filled in, not sure how feasible that is with all the stuff currently there mind. Don’t think planning permission would be too much of an issue for something of that scale.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 276
aldi_01
June 8, 2022, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ska face
Can appreciate everyone starting to get itchy feet at the minute, but don’t think the owners will be moved too much from their 5-year-plan that they’ve been talking about over the past few months. The promotion might accelerate a few things, but can’t see moving grounds moving too far up the list.

The training ground is obviously top of the “big projects” agenda at the minute and I think that would have to be concluded one way or another before anything meaningful happens with a new ground. If we can’t deliver a move to a new training ground that ticks all the boxes, then this is something that might have to be incorporated into a new stadium project, for example.

Personally I’d just like to see the open corners properly filled in, not sure how feasible that is with all the stuff currently there mind. Don’t think planning permission would be too much of an issue for something of that scale.

A gentle reminder in the ear of Cllr Jackson that he, and his now disgraced deputy we’re going to invest council lonely on the sly using a convicted fraudster…tenner those secret conversations…I’m sure we’d get whatever we wanted…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 276
petethemariner
June 8, 2022, 8:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Filling in the corners would add  massively to the acoustics/atmosphere as well, the lads that do alot  of the singing in
the corner of the pontoon wouldn't have a lot of the noise they make drowned out by the void next to them.
Town fans  can make an intimidating noise for opponents, surely we have to do everything possible to utilise them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 276
grimps
June 8, 2022, 9:06pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,150
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from petethemariner
Filling in the corners would add  massively to the acoustics/atmosphere as well, the lads that do alot  of the singing in
the corner of the pontoon wouldn't have a lot of the noise they make drowned out by the void next to them.
Town fans  can make an intimidating noise for opponents, surely we have to do everything possible to utilise them

I think the best we could hope for is the temporary seats like we had in the 90s , I doubt it’ll have a roof on the corners .
I just have a feeling that the club staff would prefer them to be kept as their car park 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 276
Marinerdeano
June 8, 2022, 10:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

This sort of thing?

Something like that yes. I'm not sure it is the height and depth of the original Main Stand that is the issue, some much as the age and length. A new stand could be a similar height and depth but extend full length.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 276
DB
June 9, 2022, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
I just read the GL, we ought to talk them about a new ground, they've found £25 million for Freshney Place. £25 million would build a new ground with shops, etc., and provide the council with a nice rent.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....il-announces-7188634

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 276
White_shorts
August 5, 2022, 5:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GrimPol

Once you have a licence to run something, enhancing is much much more straightforward than a new build.
We have had two applications thrown out as loads of people objected (including on this forum).
The last "proposal" was Freeman St, except nobody asked if it hadn't been earmarked for social housing.
Somebody pasted a pic on the docks map, but that was never a goer as it's earmarked for business dev., and now a Freeport.
So not only a plot of land hasn't been found, the £20+ million hasn't either.

Who says the old flats site is earmarked for social housing?  The council and Freemen were keen on a new Town ground there.

Why not build a stadium-sized ring of apartments at Freemo?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 276
livvo
August 5, 2022, 5:50pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from DB
While we're all talking about a new ground or developing BP we have forgotten that the major project for JS & AP is the New Training Ground. We are 1 year down the road and no announcement, although the unconfirmed rumours it's to be at Barretts Rec.

Plans, planning permission and finance have to be in place. I have no idea how long all this will take before it comes to fruition but we are probably looking at 12 months at least. The reality of this puts any plans for major ground improvement on the back burner for many years, as suggested by an interview with JS a few weeks ago.

We are left with what we have, with a few tweaks here and there, unless the main stand catches fire.

New training ground is at Winteringham school. 100%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 276
Mayaman
August 5, 2022, 6:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from gtfc_chris
On some of the notes above, IF Blundell Park was to receive a more glamorous makeover to extend it's life by say 25 years until a new stadium is more viable, then I think that the addition of a rail stop outside the ground could be beneficial.

It would need some logistical thought in terms of mixing fans but if overcome this could alleviate the parking restrictions considerably. I'm sure it would be costly but running a shuttle train between Grimsby and the ground constantly, coupled with scheduled (existing?) stops at the likes of Great Coates, Healing etc would provide a major improvement on accessibility.

The question beggars believe - why isn't there one?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 276
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.