Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 109 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,097 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 7, 2022, 7:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184
Ok, so it’s probably not the time but, it’s always a point that needs addressing. So just a quick thought on the short term issues we are facing potentially

Temporary seating I believe could be an issue with regards to how the ground has changed but the club are addressing it.

Season ticket sales (COULD) top 5000 from the good will that there seems to be around at the moment.

I would say, there are probably 4 teams capable of selling their away allocation. With possibly 6 more selling well over half of it.

Is there any way of addressing the roof pitch on both the Osmond and main stand so that views are no longer only available if you lay on a lilo

I still think that extending the lower to the 6 yard box in both goals is probably the best short to medium term solution

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 276
lukeo
June 7, 2022, 7:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
IF we sell out first 7-8 home games (say Christmas time) I'd potentially look at getting some additional seating (ie like the green seats we had) if it continues to be above 8k then we need to consider long term. If we're not selling out, in my opinion, it'd be a waste of money when it could be spent elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 276
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
June 7, 2022, 7:29am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
As a kid I often used to fantasise about increasing the capacity of BP - I loved Lego and simply applied the same building principals. I'm sure I built BP a few times out of the stuff.

Other than a new stadium and I totally get the pros of this - increased revenue streams, etc. In theory, would it not be possible to extend the Main Stand to the touch line by removing the police box as described elsewhere in this thread AND extend the Findus to both touch lines too? I know in practicality it's probably not worth the cost but why wasn't the Findus initially built to go along the entire length of the pitch?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 276
aldi_01
June 7, 2022, 7:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As a kid I often used to fantasise about increasing the capacity of BP - I loved Lego and simply applied the same building principals. I'm sure I built BP a few times out of the stuff.

Other than a new stadium and I totally get the pros of this - increased revenue streams, etc. In theory, would it not be possible to extend the Main Stand to the touch line by removing the police box as described elsewhere in this thread AND extend the Findus to both touch lines too? I know in practicality it's probably not worth the cost but why wasn't the Findus initially built to go along the entire length of the pitch?

I’m sure there’s a reason the findus was built that way for a reason but I can’t for the life of me think what it was.

I guess temporary seating would be a logical fix should we need them but you’d imagine the current regime are shrewd enough to look at how ouch this benefits us.

I think we could push 4000 ST this year which would be great. I can see the osmond being full possibly 6 times so that still leaves us with seats in there for plenty of games.

I don’t think a new ground is high on the priority list however, after returning to the league straight away that may shift the thinking. I’d imagine, much like the fans, the owners were working on being in the conference at least two years perhaps…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 276
gtfc_chris
June 7, 2022, 7:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from aldi_01

I’m sure there’s a reason the findus was built that way for a reason but I can’t for the life of me think what it was.

I guess temporary seating would be a logical fix should we need them but you’d imagine the current regime are shrewd enough to look at how ouch this benefits us.

I think we could push 4000 ST this year which would be great. I can see the osmond being full possibly 6 times so that still leaves us with seats in there for plenty of games.

I don’t think a new ground is high on the priority list however, after returning to the league straight away that may shift the thinking. I’d imagine, much like the fans, the owners were working on being in the conference at least two years perhaps…

One of the reasons I've heard is that at the time of building the plan was to turn the pitch around and the Findus was going to be behind the goal. Personally, much as it sounds plausible I can't see how that would have worked with respect of the other three stands needing to have been restructured very quickly and the need to purchase all the houses behind the Main Stand to turn the pitch.

Only thing I can think of through my own eyes is whether they'd have needed to purchase the end few houses either side of the Findus to facilitate it being built the whole way across. From that I imagine the additional cost and possibly planning permission may have factored in and resulted in the best/cheapest option at the time being what we now have.

Does irritate the OCD part of me that only the Pontoon stretches the dimensions of the pitch. If I remember right even the Osmond doesn't quite get to the corner flag (bit annoyed I can't actually remember the look of a place I've visited for 25 years!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 276
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 7, 2022, 7:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184

I believe that the club were going to turn the ground around 90 degrees so that the findus would’ve been behind the goal. There were plans for changing rooms and a gym built underneath too

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 276
mimma
June 7, 2022, 7:55am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
The Findus was built like that as a cheap option, and extend it sideways later. Then they found that they would never get planning permission because of the houses next to it. Originally there was an entrance on the halfway line in the lower,  that didn't actually lead anywhere. The plan was to put the changing room there but it never happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 276
grimps
June 7, 2022, 7:59am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,150
Gold Stars: 46
If I remember right in the 90s and early 2000s the temp seats added around 6-700 to each corner , we could probably get a few more of the police box went too.

I honestly believe the day will come soon when the Main stand gets condemned anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
June 7, 2022, 8:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Knock down the PA Box/Police control room and put them in 2 small stacked portacabins (like you get on building sites) in corner between the Pontoon & Main Stand. Firstly that improves the view for a big chunk of the Main Stand. Secondly you can put a proper semi-permanent stand from where the PA Box currently sits up to the corner of the Pontoon. You could probably get 16 rows x 50 seats = 800 extra seats there and turn a chunk of the Main Stand from severely restricted view to partially restricted view. When we're finished with the new seating area we could donate it to Cleethorpes Town.

That sounds do-able without breaking the bank. Can you get covered temporary seating these days?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 276
DB
June 7, 2022, 8:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
I'm all for redeveloping BP or a new ground. However, Stockdale did say, only a few weeks ago, that until we fill BP every week, or thereabouts, spending money on new ground facilities was not the main priority. Any ground development be it new or redevelopment has to be financially viable, would cost millions and at the moment the finances don't add up.

As he put it the "main structural investment is the new training ground, where all the work by the players is done"
JS & AP came in and at their first attempt put the club back into the football. They have a way of achieving things at their pace and priorities and that is why they are in life where they are today.

We will have to be patient and see what develops with regard to the ground.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 276
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.