Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 822 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,112 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
November 14, 2022, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,994
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from diehardmariner
Y'know I'm getting a bit more disappointed with the stuff going on at the club, or perhaps I should say what appears to not be going on.

I, like most I suspect, got swept up a bit that there would be huge changes and within a few years we would be a powerhouse in English football.  That's despite 1878 preaching about incremental change.   After a whirlwind first year, it's all kinda slowed down a bit and combined with a bit of excrement start to the season at home all feels very meh.

There's things that I can't get my head round.  The stubborn approach towards the capacity at the ground, the apparent refusal to do anything about the poor views in certain seats, a few broken promises, or if I'm kinder undelivered promises, like the incentive to gift back your ST for a game or the bring a friend for a fiver, what looks like to be a stopping of the refresh of the ground (the Main Stand, for example, has had intercourse all done to it that I can see - the toilets are still a disgrace and should have been sorted years ago.  Very interesting point was made to a few weeks ago that their appalling condition was far more of a priority than the perspex screen in the Upper, but it depends on where you sit...).  In isolation it's nothing.  Collectively it adds up and there definitely feels a more negative view towards the club than since the new regime began.

But I do think we need a sense of perspective.  In terms of improvement to Blundell Park, there's only so much polishing you can do.  In its current state, the ground is crumbling and largely beyond a bit of a freshen up.  There's also a lot that we don't see.  You only see the things that urine you off.  The old scoreboard supports in the away end are gone, but there was little about this.  Bit by bit, stuff is happening.  But we want it faster and I do get this, if I'm going to criticise the club it's that they do seem to be moving slow on certain things.

On the pitch though, I'm sorry I can't really even entertain the idea that we've not made improvements.  18 months ago we were dropping out the Football League for the second time in 11 years having had to build a new squad in the January transfer window with players from the sixth-tier of the game and guys who hadn't played for two years.   Yeah, it's excrement at the minute with one win at home in the league all season but compare it to two years ago.  You can't tell me we're not in a better position now.  Within that we achieved promotion at the first time of asking out of the Conference, something that took an age to do before.  A key factor in that was the fitness levels and mental strength of the squad in the play-offs.  That doesn't happen by accident.  That comes from investing in the right support backroom staff and infrastructure.  That's some improvement from 2 years previously where we couldn't even pump a flipping football up properly!

We've spent £100k on a young talent.  Now, you can argue that we should have used the money for X,Y or Z.  But 1878 don't sign the players.  Investing that level of money in a player is some going from signing 3 strikers from the depths of non-league because a mate mentioned them.

We've definitely improved, on and off the pitch.  Improvement isn't a straight line though, the projection will always vary.

Good Post!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 276
Poojah
November 14, 2022, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,764
Gold Stars: 1,509
What do we feel would be the ultimate seal of success come the end of the 1878 reign? Or to look at it another way, where do we realistically want to be in 10 years time?

As far as I can tell, the general consensus seems to be playing in a modern new stadium, in front of 12,000 - 15,000 fans, somewhere between the middle of League One and the middle of the Championship. My concern is that this might not be realistic at all.

I’m not talking about the crowds themselves - I actually think that’s doable in theory, in particular if we were in the second tier with the space for 3,000 - 5,000 away fans. You can point back to our previous stint at that level and that our home support was dismal compared to the purple patch we are in now, but times are different - we didn’t know how good we had it then. The idea of 10,000 Town fans regularly attending games is within the realms of possibility.

The problem is, the stadium itself. Blundell Park is a relic; the Main Stand being the single oldest structure in the football league by some margin - I believe you have to go down as far as Great Yarmouth in the Eastern Counties league to find something older. It’s only going to keep getting older, and you do wonder how much longer it can remain serviceable as safety regulations only get tighter.

Given the challenging logistics of redeveloping Blundell Park, a new stadium on a new site is the obvious solution. But have we missed the boat?

I read a quote last week from Luton Town CEO Gary Sweet, in relation to their new stadium at Power Court. It referenced a figure of £30m. A fúck load of money. But that’s not what it’s going to cost to build their 17,500 seater stadium; that’s how much the cost has increased since 2019.

We are living in times of hyper-inflation, especially where the construction industry is concerned. What would it cost to build a reasonable 15,000 seater stadium in Grimsby today? Through a calculated guess, I reckon you’re looking at between £40m and £50m. How does a club like Town fund that?

The original Conoco Stadium proposed at the Great Coates site was estimated to cost £14m in 2002. Even allowing for normal inflation, that’s a huge difference.

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that this club needs a new stadium to fulfil its potential. But is it deliverable? I’m not sure.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 276
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 14, 2022, 2:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
You can't use the Conoco stadium as a valid comparator, it was the pipe dream of a deluded c*nt.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 276
Poojah
November 14, 2022, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
You can't use the Conoco stadium as a valid comparator, it was the pipe dream of a deluded c*nt.

Bit harsh on Bill Carr.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 276
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2022, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah
What do we feel would be the ultimate seal of success come the end of the 1878 reign? Or to look at it another way, where do we realistically want to be in 10 years time?

As far as I can tell, the general consensus seems to be playing in a modern new stadium, in front of 12,000 - 15,000 fans, somewhere between the middle of League One and the middle of the Championship. My concern is that this might not be realistic at all.

I’m not talking about the crowds themselves - I actually think that’s doable in theory, in particular if we were in the second tier with the space for 3,000 - 5,000 away fans. You can point back to our previous stint at that level and that our home support was dismal compared to the purple patch we are in now, but times are different - we didn’t know how good we had it then. The idea of 10,000 Town fans regularly attending games is within the realms of possibility.

The problem is, the stadium itself. Blundell Park is a relic; the Main Stand being the single oldest structure in the football league by some margin - I believe you have to go down as far as Great Yarmouth in the Eastern Counties league to find something older. It’s only going to keep getting older, and you do wonder how much longer it can remain serviceable as safety regulations only get tighter.

Given the challenging logistics of redeveloping Blundell Park, a new stadium on a new site is the obvious solution. But have we missed the boat?

I read a quote last week from Luton Town CEO Gary Sweet, in relation to their new stadium at Power Court. It referenced a figure of £30m. A fúck load of money. But that’s not what it’s going to cost to build their 17,500 seater stadium; that’s how much the cost has increased since 2019.

We are living in times of hyper-inflation, especially where the construction industry is concerned. What would it cost to build a reasonable 15,000 seater stadium in Grimsby today? Through a calculated guess, I reckon you’re looking at between £40m and £50m. How does a club like Town fund that?

The original Conoco Stadium proposed at the Great Coates site was estimated to cost £14m in 2002. Even allowing for normal inflation, that’s a huge difference.

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that this club needs a new stadium to fulfil its potential. But is it deliverable? I’m not sure.

If you're right that a new stadium is out of reach, and the Main stand is about done,  then the best way for them to leave a legacy would be to fund a new Main stand the entire length on that side.

I wonder how much that would be and how much we would get from grants etc?

They obviously know the conundrum but I wonder what they will decide, if anything.
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 276
ska face
November 14, 2022, 2:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,781
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Poojah

Bit harsh on Bill Carr.

Carr Park would’ve been better than the Fentydome.
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 276
Poojah
November 14, 2022, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker

If you're right that a new stadium is out of reach, and the Main stand is about done,  then the best way for them to leave a legacy would be to fund a new Main stand the entire length on that side.

I wonder how much that would be and how much we would get from grants etc?

They obviously know the conundrum but I wonder what they will decide, if anything.

I suspect why the owners have spoken more in terms of redeveloping BP rather than moving. It’s not the best option, but perhaps it’s the best viable one.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 276
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2022, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

I suspect why the owners have spoken more in terms of redeveloping BP rather than moving. It’s not the best option, but perhaps it’s the best viable one.

It is probably the only option to be fair. We own the site, we can improve the stadium incrementally over time and it will hopefully retain some of its charm.

People sometimes talk about parking but a new stadium would only be allowed limited parking.

Perhaps some extra facilities could be factored in to a new training complex to help with the community aspect?
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 276
White_shorts
November 14, 2022, 4:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Poojah

We haven't missed the obvious Grimsby West boat yet.  I imagine the club would not fund the construction of a community stadium entirely, it would pay rent as tenants.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 276
diehardmariner
November 14, 2022, 4:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,701
Gold Stars: 542
Happy to be corrected and I'm sure it's probably even further up this thread, but isn't an issue with redevelopment of the Main Stand the height of it in regards the houses behind?  I thought I read that it can't exceed the current height, nor can it extend into what is currently the open corner between it and the Pontoon - not with a permanent fixture anyway.  Basically it can't impact on the eyeline of any of the surrounding properties.  

If that's the case, it seriously limits our options.  Without doubt, redeveloped to modern standards it would be an improvement on the current situation both in terms of the actual stand and capacity.  But would it merit the outlay to start with?  

If we do look at a redevelopment of the ground as a whole, because let's face it the whole thing is falling down in one way or another, I would guess it'll be a stand-by-stand basis.  Which is slow progress and whilst whatever work is going on, you're without a big chunk of your income stream as long as it's reduced capacity.  

The figures banded about or a new stadium are frightening and completely out of our reach, equally so I think the longer we stay at the current version of Blundell Park the lower our capacity to improve drops.  

I don't know the ideas, never mind the solution.  I don't envy whoever is tasked with finding it either.
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.