Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 170 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,100 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2022, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09

I do wish Blundell Park's capacity was 3.5-4k bigger than it was now. It's anecdotal but I've seen on here, WhatsApp groups and Facebook numerous people who would go more regularly but can't because they can't sit together or get a half decent view. Ideally you'd want to be getting another 1,500-2,000 on the average attendance with similar left over dotted around the ground so we had a fair few seats available for casual fans. You'd get naturally higher attendances and build habits in more people, thus more consistent cash income.

Blundell Park is a cash cow. Has been for years and, whilst it has to be maintained, it bleeds money. I’m sure the owners know that.
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 276
DB
November 11, 2022, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,053
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I like JS & AP, but they are extremely selective when talking about Blundell Park attendances and the need for a new stadium.

“We’re not filling BP” being the main false justification for a new stadium not being required.

Take a look at Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury and probably numerous I haven’t mentioned for clubs leaving tired old grounds and moving to a new stadium and their attendances Sky-rocketing because they can offer spacious, modern facilities, no restricted views and a modern match day experience to customers (fans).

If we had a Rotherham type stadium we could get 8-10,000 home fans to every league match even in L2.

So far both JS & AP have not given us the figure of a 'full house' they are referring to, which is a bit disconcerting. We know the capacity is about 9,032 and somewhere around 8,000 -8,400 are the highest gates; but is 8,400 the full house figure JS & AP allude to?

If JS & AP want to stay at BP then they need to carry out some major work. As you point out other clubs have moved to new stadiums so we will have to wait and see. Talking of waiting AP spoke optimistically about the new training ground in January and we are still waiting, so any activity on a new ground/BP will probably take years.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 276
crusty ole pie
November 11, 2022, 5:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I like JS & AP, but they are extremely selective when talking about Blundell Park attendances and the need for a new stadium.

“We’re not filling BP” being the main false justification for a new stadium not being required.

Take a look at Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury and probably numerous I haven’t mentioned for clubs leaving tired old grounds and moving to a new stadium and their attendances Sky-rocketing because they can offer spacious, modern facilities, no restricted views and a modern match day experience to customers (fans).

If we had a Rotherham type stadium we could get 8-10,000 home fans to every league match even in L2.

What a match day experience Shrewsbury offer massive car park that fans can’t use absolutely nowhere to park around the ground due to permit restrictions nearest pub miles away. these ground built on the back of a residential area are not match day friendly. I actually like Shrewsbury ground but the location is awful
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 276
Madeleymariner
November 11, 2022, 5:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Last time I went Shrewsbury, I parked on a pub carpark just over 5 mins from the ground, sat and had a nice meal and was on the A5 10 mins or so after the game finished. Agree otherwise use Town Centre carpark and catch bus
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 276
GYinScuntland
November 11, 2022, 5:49pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from White_shorts

I've mentioned Grimsby West a couple of times as a new stadium enabling development.  St Nicholas View will be adjacent to the A1136 and include a primary school, community hub and village store.  A stadium can incorporate classrooms, meeting rooms and shops.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/3800-homes-shops-primary-school-5443612

There are several plus points:

*The stadium would be built at the same time as the houses, so no complaints from local residents;

*Visiting supporters would get in and out quickly without going near the town centre, so less potential for crowd trouble.  This is especially important if we were playing in the Championship, as the big city teams can bring 2-3k fans;

*Far from the cemetery, so no need to put fast food restaurants next to the crematorium and no gridlock on Peaks Parkway at 5pm.

A bit deluded if you think away fans won't go into the town centre pre match, of course they will.
It would just mean them getting a cab or bus etc to the ground and having us pencilled in as a excrement awayday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 276
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 11, 2022, 6:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Talking of waiting AP spoke optimistically about the new training ground in January and we are still waiting, so any activity on a new ground/BP will probably take years.

[/quote]

Have to say any news/announcements regarding the new training ground are surprisingly very hard to come by and given this was one of the first tasks on the “to do list” I am a little surprised this hasn’t moved forward as of yet. Sure things are happening in the background but one would have thought more progress would have been made by now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 276
arryarryarry
November 11, 2022, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from denni266
No  not needed yet , We dont fill blundell park as it is very often .

It's not just about filling the ground every week it is also the facilities such as bars in each stand and decent toilets and food outlets. Not having to watch a game with posts in your way.

Some games we are losing out on away supporters plus with great facilities I reckon we could increase our home support.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 276
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2022, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's not just about filling the ground every week it is also the facilities such as bars in each stand and decent toilets and food outlets. Not having to watch a game with posts in your way.

Some games we are losing out on away supporters plus with great facilities I reckon we could increase our home support.

Spot on. The match day experience is better in terms of catering but the viewing and the poor sound system remain the same.
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 276
Limerick Mariner
November 11, 2022, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,743
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from arryarryarry

If STH no shows are disregarded - seats are already paid for, I'd be surprised if any club tops our current home area % utilisation outside the premiership apart from Luton and maybe Norwich. On top of that a couple of hundred or more seats (what's happened to the Trust survey of this?) are hardly fit for purpose. Also, we now how one of the smallest away capacities in the League. To say we don't need extra capacity is just garbage...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 276
Phil the cod
November 11, 2022, 7:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
They'll be plenty of empty seats next season as the recession bites and people will grow tired of hurstball.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.