Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 95 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,090 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
November 13, 2022, 10:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Bit simplistic & not necessarily backed up by the facts. Not that long ago we were getting 4-5k in the Championship with 2000 in the away end. What’s the lowest attendance we’ve had so far this season, middling in League 2, a touch under 6k on a Tuesday night?

How does the saying go, the best time to fix the roof is while the sun is shining? Football isn’t is straightforward as other businesses, you can throw endless amounts of money at a team and it doesn’t guarantee success, look at Salford, FGR were millions in the red for years before going up, even Wrexham last year.

I may not necessarily agree with all the decisions the owners are making, or know what their plans are, but they do appear to be playing the long game if you like.
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 276
ginnywings
November 13, 2022, 10:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
There doesn't seem a lot wrong with their approach for me. A two pronged attack, targeting the squad and the dilapidated facilities at the same time. Problem is, when we don't win every game we play in, we get people saying, "I'd rather have a better No 9 than a glass panel".

We can have both, eventually. Patience is the key.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 276
LH
November 14, 2022, 12:11am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,596
Gold Stars: 175
I’m on the fence with this. There’s definitely been improvements to food offerings and stuff like the glass panel on the Upper that will make a marginal gain to matchday takings. Essentially work on BP is just turd polishing and I think people would be more forgiving of lower squad investment if there were (visible or more prominent) significant changes going on.

That said: I don’t for one minute think there wasn’t attempts to bring strikers in during preseason but were we too focused on getting the perfect candidate rather than getting one that ticked most boxes? Those sort of decisions bite months down the line at renewal time when you have a big crowd in for a local game and play without a recognised forward. There is no such thing as perfection.
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 276
diehardmariner
November 14, 2022, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Y'know I'm getting a bit more disappointed with the stuff going on at the club, or perhaps I should say what appears to not be going on.

I, like most I suspect, got swept up a bit that there would be huge changes and within a few years we would be a powerhouse in English football.  That's despite 1878 preaching about incremental change.   After a whirlwind first year, it's all kinda slowed down a bit and combined with a bit of excrement start to the season at home all feels very meh.

There's things that I can't get my head round.  The stubborn approach towards the capacity at the ground, the apparent refusal to do anything about the poor views in certain seats, a few broken promises, or if I'm kinder undelivered promises, like the incentive to gift back your ST for a game or the bring a friend for a fiver, what looks like to be a stopping of the refresh of the ground (the Main Stand, for example, has had intercourse all done to it that I can see - the toilets are still a disgrace and should have been sorted years ago.  Very interesting point was made to a few weeks ago that their appalling condition was far more of a priority than the perspex screen in the Upper, but it depends on where you sit...).  In isolation it's nothing.  Collectively it adds up and there definitely feels a more negative view towards the club than since the new regime began.

But I do think we need a sense of perspective.  In terms of improvement to Blundell Park, there's only so much polishing you can do.  In its current state, the ground is crumbling and largely beyond a bit of a freshen up.  There's also a lot that we don't see.  You only see the things that urine you off.  The old scoreboard supports in the away end are gone, but there was little about this.  Bit by bit, stuff is happening.  But we want it faster and I do get this, if I'm going to criticise the club it's that they do seem to be moving slow on certain things.

On the pitch though, I'm sorry I can't really even entertain the idea that we've not made improvements.  18 months ago we were dropping out the Football League for the second time in 11 years having had to build a new squad in the January transfer window with players from the sixth-tier of the game and guys who hadn't played for two years.   Yeah, it's excrement at the minute with one win at home in the league all season but compare it to two years ago.  You can't tell me we're not in a better position now.  Within that we achieved promotion at the first time of asking out of the Conference, something that took an age to do before.  A key factor in that was the fitness levels and mental strength of the squad in the play-offs.  That doesn't happen by accident.  That comes from investing in the right support backroom staff and infrastructure.  That's some improvement from 2 years previously where we couldn't even pump a flipping football up properly!

We've spent £100k on a young talent.  Now, you can argue that we should have used the money for X,Y or Z.  But 1878 don't sign the players.  Investing that level of money in a player is some going from signing 3 strikers from the depths of non-league because a mate mentioned them.

We've definitely improved, on and off the pitch.  Improvement isn't a straight line though, the projection will always vary.
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 276
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2022, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner
Y'know I'm getting a bit more disappointed with the stuff going on at the club, or perhaps I should say what appears to not be going on.

I, like most I suspect, got swept up a bit that there would be huge changes and within a few years we would be a powerhouse in English football.  That's despite 1878 preaching about incremental change.   After a whirlwind first year, it's all kinda slowed down a bit and combined with a bit of excrement start to the season at home all feels very meh.

There's things that I can't get my head round.  The stubborn approach towards the capacity at the ground, the apparent refusal to do anything about the poor views in certain seats, a few broken promises, or if I'm kinder undelivered promises, like the incentive to gift back your ST for a game or the bring a friend for a fiver, what looks like to be a stopping of the refresh of the ground (the Main Stand, for example, has had intercourse all done to it that I can see - the toilets are still a disgrace and should have been sorted years ago.  Very interesting point was made to a few weeks ago that their appalling condition was far more of a priority than the perspex screen in the Upper, but it depends on where you sit...).  In isolation it's nothing.  Collectively it adds up and there definitely feels a more negative view towards the club than since the new regime began.

But I do think we need a sense of perspective.  In terms of improvement to Blundell Park, there's only so much polishing you can do.  In its current state, the ground is crumbling and largely beyond a bit of a freshen up.  There's also a lot that we don't see.  You only see the things that urine you off.  The old scoreboard supports in the away end are gone, but there was little about this.  Bit by bit, stuff is happening.  But we want it faster and I do get this, if I'm going to criticise the club it's that they do seem to be moving slow on certain things.

On the pitch though, I'm sorry I can't really even entertain the idea that we've not made improvements.  18 months ago we were dropping out the Football League for the second time in 11 years having had to build a new squad in the January transfer window with players from the sixth-tier of the game and guys who hadn't played for two years.   Yeah, it's excrement at the minute with one win at home in the league all season but compare it to two years ago.  You can't tell me we're not in a better position now.  Within that we achieved promotion at the first time of asking out of the Conference, something that took an age to do before.  A key factor in that was the fitness levels and mental strength of the squad in the play-offs.  That doesn't happen by accident.  That comes from investing in the right support backroom staff and infrastructure.  That's some improvement from 2 years previously where we couldn't even pump a flipping football up properly!

We've spent £100k on a young talent.  Now, you can argue that we should have used the money for X,Y or Z.  But 1878 don't sign the players.  Investing that level of money in a player is some going from signing 3 strikers from the depths of non-league because a mate mentioned them.

We've definitely improved, on and off the pitch.  Improvement isn't a straight line though, the projection will always vary.

Yes we have improved on and off the pitch and we are all delighted with that.

I think the conversation is now turning  to the speed of changes to keep the momentum going, and practical solutions to problems with the stadium in terms of capacity and facilities,  and whether we are prepared to use the fans financial support to attract the players we need. Then there is the old question of whether to move or improve.

You mention the toilets in the Main stand, the same applies to the Pontoon where not even a coat of paint has been applied, and there weren't even any paper towels to dry your hands after washing them in cold water. All these things are easy wins until they lay out their plans; yes they are minor irritants but some fans are getting the impression things have stalled a little bit.

Private Message
Reply: 184 - 276
November 14, 2022, 12:30pm
Guest User
I think some are forgetting what a skip-fire the owners inherited and also that really, given that mess, we’re ahead of schedule being back in the league so soon. We were so far behind other clubs it was almost laughable. You can’t rectify 20 years of regression in 2. They’re making a good stab of it though.

I expect the striker issue will get sorted in January. I also expect the home form will improve.
Reply: 185 - 276
DB
November 14, 2022, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from diehardmariner

You don't half go on but I agree with everything you have said. To add to this we have played 13 home games this season, so far. Won 5,drawn 4, lost 4, scored 24 goals and conceded 16. ( source https://thefishy.co.uk/fixtures ). Considering on the 5th May 2021 we were down but not quite out we have come a very long way in a short 18 months. Compare this with the last 18 months under the last regime.

If some posters are looking for perfection I would like them to point to the perfect club, on the other hand imperfection can be seen by a club, only a few season ago a championship club, only 20+ miles from here.

Be thankful for what we have and look to the future, make your complaints to 1878 at the end of the season in writing with a stamped addressed envelope for a reply. Then complain about the answer. The ground problem is constant neglect over the years and needs £100k's if not a few million to put right. As regards the team, Rome wasn't built in a day, we get improvements in the transfer windows, some work and some don't. You never get an instantly brilliant team, they need sourcing over time with cash injections( if available) to buy players.

Be thankfull the NL is behind us and league 1 in front.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 276
diehardmariner
November 14, 2022, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker

Yes we have improved on and off the pitch and we are all delighted with that.

I think the conversation is now turning  to the speed of changes to keep the momentum going, and practical solutions to problems with the stadium in terms of capacity and facilities,  and whether we are prepared to use the fans financial support to attract the players we need. Then there is the old question of whether to move or improve.

You mention the toilets in the Main stand, the same applies to the Pontoon where not even a coat of paint has been applied, and there weren't even any paper towels to dry your hands after washing them in cold water. All these things are easy wins until they lay out their plans; yes they are minor irritants but some fans are getting the impression things have stalled a little bit.

But we are investing in the squad financially.  Hunt came at the cost of circa. £100k.  Let's not also forget that signed a new contract with Wednesday as recently as January which is a fair assumption came with a payrise.  Something we would have had to got close to in order to persuade him to drop down a level permanently.

The money is there, it's down to Hurst how he uses it though.

On the small wins, especially around the ground, I completely agree.  These look to be easy.
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 276
diehardmariner
November 14, 2022, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

You don't half go on

Thanks!  

TL;DR We've made improvements, but we can still make more.
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 276
jamesgtfc
November 14, 2022, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I think the lack of warm water and often lack of soap in the Main Stand toilets is disgraceful. I don't think the catering unit next to it is ever open any more so the toilets should knock through there and get a complete refurbishment. I get that it costs money to do that, but those toilets are a health and safety issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.