Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 824 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,113 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
June 8, 2022, 3:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from DaleH

As I said in my post, it's not going to happen, there will not be a new ground. There is so much that can be done to improve BP and that is where the emphasis will be.

Personally I am glad about that. So many happy memories at BP

I respectfully think you’re wrong.

JS & AP have been open. They have said it’s off the table for now and would be revisited when we’re filling BP regularly. It is quite possibly that the 3 traditional home stands at BP will be sold out for every single league game next season.

And JS & AP have said how they hope to get their investment back- by Increasing the value of their shares. Footballing position is only worth so much. Infrastructure like a training ground and a modern, fit for purpose stadium will be the main driving force behind 1878 making their money back when they hand over the baton.

Will they want to plan for a new stadium with just the 2 of them? Maybe not. But they’ve said they are open to others coming on board.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 80 - 276
GollyGTFC
June 8, 2022, 3:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from DaleH

Yes, but the Main Stand and Osmond would need knocking down and rebuilding if we wanted to stay at BP in the long term.

And the upper Findus isn’t really fit for purpose anymore is it? You’d never get planning permission for that stand now.

And the Pontoon is the mid 90s stand and not the one fans of a certain age get sentimental about.

If we stay at BP it will end up nothing like the one we have happy memories about. It will be up being a plot of land that an old fashioned ground used to be on before a more modern one was built.

Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 276
rancido
June 8, 2022, 3:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,654
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from grimps

All my neighbours have managed to get permission for Dormer extensions over looking my garden so I’m sure they’d easy be able to get permission for a stand that over looks nothing and if built right wouldn’t affect their sun light.

We seemed to be dead set on moving grounds for 25 years , I doubt if a study has ever even been done to improve Blundell park and increase the capacity

If the dormer is no higher than the existing roof line then that isn't a problem regardless of whether it looks over your property or not. The only problem would be the closeness in proximity of the dormer and the gardens it overlooks . As regards BP , the Main stand could be replaced but objections could be raised if a new stand roof line  was higher than the existing one.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 276
forza ivano
June 8, 2022, 3:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from DaleH

As I said in my post, it's not going to happen, there will not be a new ground. There is so much that can be done to improve BP and that is where the emphasis will be.

you have been very adamant about this, which suggests a certain amount of knowledge. Perhaps you could tell us some of the ideas to improve BP?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 276
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
June 8, 2022, 4:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
I'm not a planner, council official or builder but I don't understand the "overlooking" aspect of building extensions etc. I work closely with the services and I've been to one central London barracks that had a craphole loads of flats built ridiculously close to their establishment. There's some really sensitive stuff that goes on there so I have no one how the block of flats got built. People could sit on their respective balconies and are 20metres max from inside the barracks, seeing everybody and everything that goes on! Madness.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 276
DB
June 8, 2022, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
While we're all talking about a new ground or developing BP we have forgotten that the major project for JS & AP is the New Training Ground. We are 1 year down the road and no announcement, although the unconfirmed rumours it's to be at Barretts Rec.

Plans, planning permission and finance have to be in place. I have no idea how long all this will take before it comes to fruition but we are probably looking at 12 months at least. The reality of this puts any plans for major ground improvement on the back burner for many years, as suggested by an interview with JS a few weeks ago.

We are left with what we have, with a few tweaks here and there, unless the main stand catches fire.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 276
Limerick Mariner
June 8, 2022, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yes, but the Main Stand and Osmond would need knocking down and rebuilding if we wanted to stay at BP in the long term.

And the upper Findus isn’t really fit for purpose anymore is it? You’d never get planning permission for that stand now.

And the Pontoon is the mid 90s stand and not the one fans of a certain age get sentimental about.

If we stay at BP it will end up nothing like the one we have happy memories about. It will be up being a plot of land that an old fashioned ground used to be on before a more modern one was built.

Agree with all that, but new stands can go up in a few months now - Leicester Tigers built a 10k all seater in not much more than the close season (not our current close season mind). BP needs a complete redevelopment but it could be done in stages to get to a circa 14k capacity. Not my preference (which is a Freemo location) but it is an option.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 276
GYinScuntland
June 8, 2022, 7:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Notts County just about rebuilt theirs in close season if memory serves me right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 276
grimps
June 8, 2022, 7:27pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Notts County just about rebuilt theirs in close season if memory serves me right.

Yeah I remember it only cost them 4 million and nearly all of that was grants.

We’ve messed around for 25 years awaiting a new ground and we’re still no nearer getting one .
I think we all agree long term one is still needed but until we can find a way of financing it we’re stuck at Blundell park .

We cannot now continue with an 8000 capacity ground when we found have 5-6000 season ticket holders and the other 2000 is for visiting fans .

At the very least short term the corners need to have seats added and the club staff will have to work their cars elsewhere like the rest of us.

As for the police box if it actually has any use these days then I’m sure a directors box could give the same view , if not tell the coppers to get their coats on and stick them up in the camera gantry
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 276
Tommy
June 8, 2022, 7:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Earlier in the thread one or two posters mentioned that the current ground puts some people off going, only to be shot down by one or two others.

It absolutely does put some people off going. Usually the first stands to sell out at the Lower Findus, then the pontoon and upper. Its always the Main Stand where there are tickets left available in the days before a game where a big crowd is expected. And I know there are a good few people who wouldn't go purely because it'd mean sitting in the main stand, paying £20 odd to have an absolutely horrendous view, with a post almost guaranteed to be partially blocking your view of one of the goals, the roof coming down meaning if you're in the top section you can't see the ball when it's in the air, and a tiny bar.

There must be a very limited number of seats that are half decent in the main stand.

Would love to see it rebuilt if that can be done. We'd be able to go back a bit with it and have a concourse like walkway under the stand rather than behind it like it is now. That'd surely allow it to go a bit higher (more seats) too.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 276
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.