Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 775 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,110 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
August 5, 2022, 6:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Our old capacity was 17k?  I went to see Town V Everton - 26k + there.  Can't we make the Main stand two tier ( of course push it down first.  The Osmand too for that matter.  Surely we can make a park and ride scheme.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 276
Eastendmariner
August 5, 2022, 6:40pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Simple  provide seating in the corners  no need to knock the main stand down

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 276
arryarryarry
August 6, 2022, 3:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mayaman
Our old capacity was 17k?  I went to see Town V Everton - 26k + there.  Can't we make the Main stand two tier ( of course push it down first.  The Osmand too for that matter.  Surely we can make a park and ride scheme.

Just over 22k on the night and I was in the Pontoon.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/brolly-good-win-puts-grimsby-130884
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 276
GrimPol
August 6, 2022, 8:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from DB
While we're all talking about a new ground or developing BP we have forgotten that the major project for JS & AP is the New Training Ground. We are 1 year down the road and no announcement, although the unconfirmed rumours it's to be at Barretts Rec.

Plans, planning permission and finance have to be in place. I have no idea how long all this will take before it comes to fruition but we are probably looking at 12 months at least. The reality of this puts any plans for major ground improvement on the back burner for many years, as suggested by an interview with JS a few weeks ago.

We are left with what we have, with a few tweaks here and there, unless the main stand catches fire.

There is no planning applications in yet either at Bradley Pitches or Cheapside. The last Cheapside application was approved and installed (2 Portacabins in the last 12 months)
There has been an application Jan 2022 , approval June 2022 for 2 x changing blocks , 3 x 3G pitches, 2 off grass pitches with car parking fencing and floodlights at Clee Fields though.
Doesn't mention GTFC but could be one of these "we use it in the daytime, you use it late noon-evening things"
Just thinking out loud.
Just a thought
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 276
GrimPol
August 6, 2022, 9:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Eastendmariner
Simple  provide seating in the corners  no need to knock the main stand down

We have to knock the main stand down.
1 Its a yearly discussion with insurance companies for fire insurance. I know it was eyewatering some years ago.
2 One day England Heritage will stick a preservation order on it and make it a listed building. Then you will never be able to do anything.

Heck, they might make you wear a Bowler hat and tie just to sit in it. Instead of shouting the "the refs a bar-steward" you'll have to shout " I say, referee, did you actually know your pater, what?"

Must be dry as tinder these few months.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 276
Lost in Lincoln
August 6, 2022, 9:22am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
As a kid I often used to fantasise about increasing the capacity of BP - I loved Lego and simply applied the same building principals. I'm sure I built BP a few times out of the stuff.

Other than a new stadium and I totally get the pros of this - increased revenue streams, etc. In theory, would it not be possible to extend the Main Stand to the touch line by removing the police box as described elsewhere in this thread AND extend the Findus to both touch lines too? I know in practicality it's probably not worth the cost but why wasn't the Findus initially built to go along the entire length of the pitch?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was built with a view to turning the pitch, so it was behind the goal - how true this is I've no idea.  Possibly dreamt it

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 276
GrimPol
August 6, 2022, 9:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

Who says the old flats site is earmarked for social housing?  The council and Freemen were keen on a new Town ground there.

Why not build a stadium-sized ring of apartments at Freemo?

Then let the Council and Freeman build it. I'm sure GTFC/1878 will play there.
If you know something and can help it along, and the club doesn't have a big mortgage around its neck, then I'm all for it. Sorted.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 276
GrimPol
August 6, 2022, 9:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was built with a view to turning the pitch, so it was behind the goal - how true this is I've no idea.  Possibly dreamt it

At 2 feet above sea level, it could do with a crank to lift it at times of flooding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 276
Lost in Lincoln
August 6, 2022, 9:41am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from headingly_mariner
What a great problem to have!!!! I never thought we’d be worried about BP being too small when we are a 4th tier club. The attendances and atmosphere at home last season were a welcome shock, because it’s been flipping drab.

Be brilliant next season and I hope that big attendances give the owners a massive headache about space. I fully expect that they’re clever enough to find a solution and a good one. I’m sure they will look at something sustainable, long term and that is a proper football ground.

Blundell Park is flipping spectacular! It’s not a soulless bowl.
With a few tweaks it could be more accessible and with some clever thinking we can really enjoying packing it out.

It's amazing, considering the 20 odd years of F**ty draining the life out of the club!

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 108 - 276
Humbercod
August 6, 2022, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,502
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from DB
While we're all talking about a new ground or developing BP we have forgotten that the major project for JS & AP is the New Training Ground. We are 1 year down the road and no announcement, although the unconfirmed rumours it's to be at Barretts Rec.

Plans, planning permission and finance have to be in place. I have no idea how long all this will take before it comes to fruition but we are probably looking at 12 months at least. The reality of this puts any plans for major ground improvement on the back burner for many years, as suggested by an interview with JS a few weeks ago.

We are left with what we have, with a few tweaks here and there, unless the main stand catches fire.

I’m sure the owners said last year the new training ground location had been identified, and it would be announced early in the new year… just not this one then!

I don’t think they will be seriously considering putting seats in the corners just yet anyway. I think they’ll see how the crowds hold up first, even a bad result today would knock at least 500 home fans of the next league game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 276
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.