Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 196 Guests

ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED

This thread currently has 29,624 views. Print
20 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
December 10, 2016, 4:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
im not convinced by MB at all , he comes in says all the right things and gets the fans on board , then he puts on double sessions with the players to fix ??? What ??? we were doing ok under PH , not great but ok .. Goals being a problem but im sure that would of sorted its self out . If rumours are to be believed the players arnt too convinced either !!  He was cheap and said all the right things ... perfect for our current board .................... If this Gamble fails we could be right in the excrement very soon

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Grimsby2012
December 10, 2016, 5:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
I agree. We will probably be relegated under MB. PH would have at least got us mid table, possibly play-offs

JF using the hype of a "young, up and coming manager" to Justify the cheap appointment he is....

Hello National League next year..........................................................

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 199
Madeleymariner
December 10, 2016, 5:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Rubbish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 199
chipsandgravy
December 10, 2016, 5:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
And so it begins again.

"If rumours are to believed neither are there players"

You just made that up haven't you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 199
Mariner_09
December 10, 2016, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I'd agree, I also think his comments during interviews aren't going to go down as well when we're not winning. I wasn't overly enamoured by him in the first place, I thought Hursty did an excellent job.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 199
Grantley
December 10, 2016, 5:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
I remember when people like this said they weren't doom and gloomers, they just didn't support Hurst. Are you still sure about that?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 199
headingly_mariner
December 10, 2016, 5:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Bit early for that nonsense, he needs time and the opportunity to bring in his own players. Today was awful though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 199
Mariner93er
December 10, 2016, 5:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Ultimately the players aren't good enough for this level. Under Hurst's defensive style we could scrape by, but with manager who wants to attack, they are found wanting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 199
jonnyboy82
December 10, 2016, 5:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Talking a good game and delivering is completely different.

Still early days for him but im not sure how many more 20 minute interviews we need him talking a good game.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 199
grimps
December 10, 2016, 5:17pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
We need more than a few pre match Cliches to win games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 199
buckstown
December 10, 2016, 5:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,215
Gold Stars: 79
I think its a bit early to get too gloomy. We've played the top 3 in four games and won, drawn and lost. I think most people thought we were a mid table team and thats exacty where we are.
No question the honeymoon is over and talk means nothing but lets not too despondent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 199
sonofmadeleymariner
December 10, 2016, 5:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
I still think MB is a great appointment, I'm glad we've taken a punt on an up and coming manager instead of someone who has been round the block a dozen times and has as many relegation's to his name then promotions which is what it looked like we were looking at.

OK we've not had the greatest of starts but we've hardly had the worst start, we've played the3 of the top 4 teams in the division and we're playing the 4th next week. MB is still clearly working out his squad and who is the best 11 he can play and who he can bring in in January.

Fans just need to show a little patients give the man a chance, we aren't in the bottom 2 yet as long as we aren't relegated its been a positive season, anything else is icing on the cake lets be honest.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 199
grimsby pete
December 10, 2016, 5:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Lets not forget Marcus did not sign our useless midfield,

It was Hurst who got them from a team that got relegated to the conference,

A couple of ins and outs come January on the cards.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 199
Kris2
December 10, 2016, 5:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Always the same few sad sacks who show up when we lose then vanish when we win. Old farts hit too many times with the ugly stick so they have nothing going for them in life then they spend all their time trying to get reactions for attention on the internet because they are scared of the outside world it's full of the same people who crapped all over them their whole life. Boring.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 199
golfer
December 10, 2016, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
It's not the managers fault. He can only do so much with the players bequeathed to him. Camley and Berrett were absolute rubbish again' If I were either of them I would seriously consider getting a proper job. I cannot believe Hurst signed either of them whether permanent or on loan' The midfield we had this time last year would have held us in better stead than this mottley crew. They never set up attacks or defend properly. Did our midfield ever enter their penalty area? NO !  It was absolutely disgraceful.Unless the 3 Wise Men appear before Xmas may The Lord have mercy on us
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 199
December 10, 2016, 5:33pm
Guest User
Lost patience already. I expected us to beat all the top 4 teams we've just played. Get rid Fentys. Sign Atkins's like what you shud hav dun.

For the sake of absolute FÛCK.
Reply: 15 - 199
samg
December 10, 2016, 5:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
If you were to tell me a year ago that we would be sat mid table in league 2 this time next year, I'd be delighted - and I am! - MB knows he's got some work to do and I have every faith in him to accomplish this, just needs time and some additions of his own - roll on Donny!! UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 199
Grimsby2012
December 10, 2016, 5:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
I supported Hurst from the beginning and was adamant he would get us promoted... I was correct, and I'm also correct about MB only getting us relegated. Just wait and see.... Cheap option got us relegated from the league last time, and everyone said "Wait, too early" or "Your just a doom and gloom".......

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 199
Belfast Town
December 10, 2016, 5:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,699
Gold Stars: 19
WTF
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 199
Teestogreen
December 10, 2016, 5:39pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -160
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete

I agree (work in progress) - if Town can get to January with 30 +points - then the new manager has a chance to add the players he needs to 'perk' up our midfield and attack, to achieve the points required to stay in this division.

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 199
ginnywings
December 10, 2016, 5:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I remember Buckley getting questioned when he first came. Hurst has left us with an unbalanced and inexperienced midfield, three of whom came from relegated teams and some who have never played at this level. It is showing against the better sides. Desire got us a point against Carlisle and it nearly did again today. Would have been happy with 0-0 because they were clearly better than us but Tombolas inexperience gave them a chance to win the game and they took it.We need more experience in the middle. McAllister and Davies can't come back quick enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2016, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete

That's a pretty cheap jibe Pete - whilst Summerfield and Berrett weren't great, Chambers and Jackson were very poor today but I guess you weren't there. Portsmouth are a very good side too by the way.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 199
Perkins
December 10, 2016, 5:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Quoted from grimsby pete

Absolutely right , he has inherited some good players but unfortunately for him also a pile of sh*te.   Berret offers nothing, Summerfield just not good enough, Disley must be getting frustrated sat on the bench watching those two picked in preference to him. One possible solution that Marcus alluded to in his interview last week, is that when he's fit play Davies in midfield which is the position he's nearly always played during his career. You only need a midfielder with a bit of experience and calm rather than one that runs around all game like a headless chicken hoofing it anywhere.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 199
mariner91
December 10, 2016, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Grimsby2012 is a terrible WUM. He was claiming we'd get relegated before the season had even started so there's no evidence that he "always backed Hurst". You're sad mate, get a hobby or a girlfriend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 199
Balthazar Bullitt
December 10, 2016, 6:05pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Flea bag post = ignore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 199
cleethorpes_mariner
December 10, 2016, 6:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from mariner91
Grimsby2012 is a terrible WUM. He was claiming we'd get relegated before the season had even started so there's no evidence that he "always backed Hurst". You're sad mate, get a hobby or a girlfriend.

I bet he practices his hobby one handed whilst dreaming he has a girlfriend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 199
December 10, 2016, 6:09pm
Guest User
Some short memories here, you forgot already we hammered Plymouth 3-0, who at the time were top of the League and then followed that with a good 2-2 draw against Carlisle.  I sometimes wonder if some of the posters on here know anything about football at all!

We are not going to win every match in a season, but if we play to the potential we have shown so far this season, we will still be in this League next year, and that is a positive bearing in mind where we have been for the last 5 years!
Reply: 26 - 199
HackneyHaddock
December 10, 2016, 6:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Nonsense on stilts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 199
moosey_club
December 10, 2016, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
i am convinced by Bignot himself and probably in what he wants to do.....

i am not convinced though that he has the tools at his disposal.....he has used his preferred system since coming in and since then i dont think we have;
dominated a game
created many chances
looked solid defensively
played with any flair

Omar is looking increasingly isolated up top, Jackson is an utter waste of a shirt out wide as is Berrett at the tip of midfield diamond.

Bignot promised us postivity, pressing play high up the pitch, tactical changes and plenty of wingers crossing the ball in.....i believe he wants that, i believe he may well deliver that but just not with the squad at his disposal....two centre halves, a keeper and  a first year pro on the bench... not inspiring for a home game.

How Berrett managed to last 90 mins out there without getting the hook amazes me and most of the people i heard around me.

Survive this season now unfortunately for me and then a big rebuild in the summer.

I think Marcus may have to review his set up and accept that he may not have what he needs and therefore adjust accordingly....Hurst left him a largely defensive unit with a sprinkle of flair, i think Marcus would prefer it the other way around.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 199
oldun
December 10, 2016, 6:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I cannot believe I have just read such tripe. Yes we are not good enough to win this league. Yes we probably won't reach the play offs but we have to be realistic we have just come into this league and we are playing teams who have been here longer, got more experience and have better players, Remember too we played away at  Luton when they were top and won, we played away at Plymouth who were top and beat them convincingly. There is no reason we cannot go to Donny and get points. Our home form is poor but even today a point was nearly ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 199
Garth
December 10, 2016, 6:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
My take on todays game was that we played a good team who looked better due to our non existent midfield.
There was a great hole between Bogle and our defence and players like Somerfield, Berret and Jackson were shadows today and I would expect to see Dis, Tom and Venney to start next Saturday.
No excuses needed, it took a very good free kick to beat our defence, and a very good save from their keeper to prevent a goal from us. Why does Summerfield take all corners and free kicks?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 199
December 10, 2016, 6:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from fleabag1970
im not convinced by MB at all , he comes in says all the right things and gets the fans on board , then he puts on double sessions with the players to fix ??? What ??? we were doing ok under PH , not great but ok .. Goals being a problem but im sure that would of sorted its self out . If rumours are to be believed the players arnt too convinced either !!  He was cheap and said all the right things ... perfect for our current board .................... If this Gamble fails we could be right in the excrement very soon

Interesting that you raised this point as I actually logged in to ask the same question that you have.

I'm not sure on him yet, but I am starting to have a few reservations.

So far it's early days and he is all light hearted etc in his interviews. Likes a bit of a joke, seems to be working very hard with a bit of image building if you know what I mean. Coming across as Mr Likeable and the man of the people.

But for me I am looking past all of this for the evidence that he is good manager, coach and everything that this requires. Right now the mix is far too much personality and not enough Mr Manager.

I was bit concerned with his interview today too. Far too much reference to the supporters and was even associating himself with the supporters with words to the effect of "me and the supporters want a better response from the players". That has to stop. Marcus isn't one of the supporters so don't put yourself with them. Forget all that sort of talk of supporters. Just go about the professional job.

I am watching this one with interest. In hope that we start to see some evidence that he is capable of doing this job very soon
Reply: 31 - 199
lew chaterleys lover
December 10, 2016, 6:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Perkins

Absolutely right , he has inherited some good players but unfortunately for him also a pile of sh*te.   Berret offers nothing, Summerfield just not good enough, Disley must be getting frustrated sat on the bench watching those two picked in preference to him. One possible solution that Marcus alluded to in his interview last week, is that when he's fit play Davies in midfield which is the position he's nearly always played during his career. You only need a midfielder with a bit of experience and calm rather than one that runs around all game like a headless chicken hoofing it anywhere.

Those midfield players had us in the play off positions not long ago. Its probably a case of not being able to adapt to a new managers ideas quickly enough.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 199
Mariner_09
December 10, 2016, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Berrett and Summerfield together are too weak and don't impose themselves properly. Can have one but not both and they also need to be in a three. Comley, McAllister and Berrett would be ideal when available

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 199
kamakazebear
December 10, 2016, 6:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +470
Christ, I thought walking home the idiots on the fishy will be out tonight but this is just ridiculous.

Get a grip
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 199
ginnywings
December 10, 2016, 7:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
We have been on a tough run of games to be fair. I said a while back that if we came out of the next 5 games, starting at Plymouth with anything more than 6 points, we would have done well. It was a great start with the win at Plymouth and the draw with Carlisle bringing 4 points, but 2 defeats has put us back a bit. I'm more bothered by the Crawley defeat than the one today as they were on a terrible run at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 199
TAGG
December 10, 2016, 7:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Is MB turning into Hurst because that was a Hurst game if ever saw one.

Tactics wrong, team selection wrong, formation Wrong and subs wrong.

Our form is very worrying at the moment 1 win in 9 I think??
5 points off the bottom 3

Marcus has got to stop this slide before it's to late.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 199
LH
December 10, 2016, 7:07pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,574
Gold Stars: 174
Of all the people who post on this forum you are the last person I'd expect to not be convinced by Bignot, Fleabag.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2016, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
Berrett and Summerfield together are too weak and don't impose themselves properly. Can have one but not both and they also need to be in a three. Comley, McAllister and Berrett would be ideal when available

Agree - Summerfield is not technically as good as Berrett.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 199
Grim74
December 10, 2016, 7:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
The performance was absolute dog excrement did we even have a shot on target? The home form is worrying me now and needs to be sorted out pronto, il give MB the benefit of the doubt Portsmouth looked a good solid well organised team but anymore repeat performances like that and I will put my £20 down my gullet.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 199
Mrs Doyle
December 10, 2016, 7:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Not just outplayed in the midfield they always had a man unmarked on their left flank. We looked bereft of ideas up front resorting to the big hoof, Bogz was isolated Jackson was far too deep he looked awful today thought we played better in the second half. Gowling had a solid game. Macca made a couple of decent saves but had a Macca moment that luckily we scrambled it away.

Overall Pompey played a lot better and deserved the win attacking us in numbers using width to stretch us time after time. thiers fans were a credit to their team noisy all match they even got our fans going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 199
GrimRob
December 10, 2016, 7:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 199
BottesfordMariner
December 10, 2016, 7:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Bit early to dismiss Bignot as a failure dont you think?

He wants to change our style and that may take time (and maybe new players) to achieve.

What disappointed me about today was the build up had got me excited about the prospect of a good game against a good team. Bignot was saying he had had time to work on things on the training ground. I was expecting a real have a go at them performance........what we got was a f******g awful one. Right from the off Pompey pressed in numbers and closed us down. Pretty soon we were just kicking the ball anywhere due to the pressure. Tbf to Pomepy they did it very well and were well on top.

Whenever we got the ball we were under pressure straight away. They were picking the ball up in 10 yards of space and had time to look up and make the pass. It was embarrassingly easy for them at times. Had they been more ruthless going forward they would have been out os sight by half time. We were lucky to be 0-0.

Then you think a half time talking to and a tactical review and having survived the 1st half we would get back into it 2nd half. Nothing changed and the 2nd half continued exactly the same way.

Ironically their goal came when Town were maybe showing a bit more as Pompey tired and werent pressing as quickly..

Today showed maybe one or two may not be up to it and i would expect some changes in January.. If they keep playing like that then the honeymoon period will soon be over.

Lets regroup and knuckle down and pt in a far better performance next week against another very good side.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 199
OllieGTFC
December 10, 2016, 7:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
For god sake really call yourself supporters ? He been in the job 2minutes you expect results going our way al the time, and for not being convinced we beat Plymouth 3-0 IN THERE OWN BACK YARD it's going to take time for MB to get his message over to the players on what he wants we will be fine give the guy a chance for god sake !

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 199
Zmariner
December 10, 2016, 7:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I signed and I am completely supportive of MB. We are on a tough run of fixtures. Would love to know Pompey budget. All of this drivel after 5 games is shocking. I think the inherited midfield of Berret and Summerfield is not up to the job, this can be fixed. Totally in support and I let's see where we are after Xmas
I suspect MB will make a few eat their words, time will tell UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 199
grimsby pete
December 10, 2016, 7:55pm

Exile
Quoted from OllieGTFC
For god sake really call yourself supporters ? He been in the job 2minutes you expect results going our way al the time, and for not being convinced we beat Plymouth 3-0 IN THERE OWN BACK YARD it's going to take time for MB to get his message over to the players on what he wants we will be fine give the guy a chance for god sake !

Well said Ollie, Marcus has said himself that when we get Mcallister and Davies back it will be like having two new players.

With them in midfield our problems will be resolved with Macallister winning the ball and Ben making the defence splitting passes.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 199
samg
December 10, 2016, 7:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
We could have been playing in the FAT today so let's be thankful we are where we are! Anyway time to watch the Joshua fight - UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 199
lew chaterleys lover
December 10, 2016, 7:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Well by your logic, he got his message across against Plymouth. People are only commenting on what they've  seen today. I would think the vast majority are behind him, and quite rightly so, but our form has dipped and today was very poor, albeit against very good opposition.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 199
grimsby pete
December 10, 2016, 8:11pm

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That's a pretty cheap jibe Pete - whilst Summerfield and Berrett weren't great, Chambers and Jackson were very poor today but I guess you weren't there. Portsmouth are a very good side too by the way.

That's a bit below the belt Codger,

Its not my fault I can not get to many home games,

I do suffer with a few medical problems but always try to get to  as many games as possible,

I do have mariners p;ayer so I can keep up with what is going on  in the field.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2016, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

That's a bit below the belt Codger,

Its not my fault I can not get to many home games,

I do suffer with a few medical problems but always try to get to  as many games as possible,

I do have mariners p;ayer so I can keep up with what is going on  in the field.

I apologise if I offended you Pete but singling out individuals without seeing the game is equally below the belt. Like many have said, our midfield can accommodate Berrett OR Summerfield but not Berret AND Summerfield.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 199
paulgtfc
December 10, 2016, 8:25pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from GrimRob

Great point, Rob.  Fickle?  The Fishy, never  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 199
grimsby pete
December 10, 2016, 8:37pm

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I apologise if I offended you Pete but singling out individuals without seeing the game is equally below the belt. Like many have said, our midfield can accommodate Berrett OR Summerfield but not Berret AND Summerfield.

No offence taken mate but I was not commenting on todays game,

I said Marcus did not sign them and from what I have seen of them Marcus would not have signed them.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 199
ginnywings
December 10, 2016, 8:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I think some are not giving the opposition enough credit for our poor showing today. They forced us into mistakes and pulled us out of shape because they were better than us. They are an established side that are well supported and i would imagine have a much bigger playing budget than we do. That was our 20th league game after spending 6 years in the wilderness. If Bignot cannot change the mindset of the players he inherited, then he will need time to change the personnel. Carlisle and Portsmouth are much better than we are and we didn't get a drubbing from either. Defence is pretty sound, we have a very good striker, a couple of experienced players waiting in the wings and the transfer window in 3 weeks. Let's not forget the quality of opposition we have faced in recent games. MB joined us just as the tough run of games started. Would Hurst have fared any better? I doubt we would have won 3-0 at the league leaders with Hurst in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 199
grimsby pete
December 10, 2016, 8:43pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings
I think some are not giving the opposition enough credit for our poor showing today. They forced us into mistakes and pulled us out of shape because they were better than us. They are an established side that are well supported and i would imagine have a much bigger playing budget than we do. That was our 20th league game after spending 6 years in the wilderness. If Bignot cannot change the mindset of the players he inherited, then he will need time to change the personnel. Carlisle and Portsmouth are much better than we are and we didn't get a drubbing from either. Defence is pretty sound, we have a very good striker, a couple of experienced players waiting in the wings and the transfer window in 3 weeks. Let's not forget the quality of opposition we have faced in recent games. MB joined us just as the tough run of games started.

Very good points Ginny  ( as usual )

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2016, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think some are not giving the opposition enough credit for our poor showing today. They forced us into mistakes and pulled us out of shape because they were better than us. They are an established side that are well supported and i would imagine have a much bigger playing budget than we do. That was our 20th league game after spending 6 years in the wilderness. If Bignot cannot change the mindset of the players he inherited, then he will need time to change the personnel. Carlisle and Portsmouth are much better than we are and we didn't get a drubbing from either. Defence is pretty sound, we have a very good striker, a couple of experienced players waiting in the wings and the transfer window in 3 weeks. Let's not forget the quality of opposition we have faced in recent games. MB joined us just as the tough run of games started. Would Hurst have fared any better? I doubt we would have won 3-0 at the league leaders with Hurst in charge.

Fair comment Ginny - what we need to remember is how many of the players many would get rid of are on 2 year deals. I also think that, without Danny Collins, we might have got that drubbing today,
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 199
Posh Harry
December 10, 2016, 8:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,370
Gold Stars: 36
Ffs. Some people need to get a grip. If this time last year someone would have said we have just been beaten by Pompey and are now 12th in division 2 I would have ripped their f8cking arm off.

As someone has already said the usual suspects are sat on their own with no friends and get a kick out of sprouting sh8t.

All we need is denni to do a post of doom and I think my bingo card is full.

UTFM and I look forward to seeing you all next weekend.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 199
December 10, 2016, 8:57pm
Guest User
Thought it was obvious that my original post was a complete p1sstake.
Reply: 56 - 199
headingly_mariner
December 10, 2016, 9:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings

I was thinking pretty much the opposite, I thought they would be a lot better than they were and that our lack of organisation allowed them to open us up. Granted I thought they pressed us well first half, but our players didn't really look like they knew where they were supposed to be playing. Pompey were a bit toothless considering how bad we were.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 199
HertsGTFC
December 10, 2016, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I think that Marcus is a good appointment looking at some of the drongos we could have had he is bright, energetic, enthusiastic, engages with everybody, "looks" like a decent coach and clearly want to improve everything.  

But....... He is possibly going too fast in that he has attempted to change the training regime (no issues with that), the warm up, the formation, the style of play, the tempo, the selection (at times) and told us in mid week that he wants to get involved in the stuff off the pitch.

If I was a player I am not sure how I would react to so much change in a short period of time especially when I had spent a lot of my time recently in non league or a relegation side like Macca, Zak, Josh, Berret,, Summerfield, Dis, Vose, Omar, Chambo, Tombola, Jacko etc.. etc....

We have an o.k. squad but one that is possibly for different reasons more suited to evolution rather than revolution. So go back to 4 - 4 - 2 for a bit s we can use the flanks for attacking and defending, play Omar with a partner and more importantly the players are comfortable with that shape.  

5 points from 15 is a massive concern especially when you are in the middle of a tough run of games against quality (at our level) opposition and this is even more of a compelling case for just making small noticeable changes.

Marcus wants to create and impact and that's great but he needs to get his head down, let the football do the talking and hope that the players eventually get it because today we looked like we have regressed massively.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 199
maxfox44
December 10, 2016, 9:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Not posted on here in weeks, felt like I was starting believe the negativity. Come back and look what thread I've found.

For goodness sake, give the guy a chance.  He's inherited a midfield of which three were relegated last season.  Enjoy being in the league and accept that we are going to lose more games this season than the last few years.

Utm

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 199
Rodley Mariner
December 10, 2016, 9:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
I thought they looked a very decent side and we struggled to cope with the pressure they put us under whenever we had the ball. Second half was better and thought it would have been a decent point but it was a quality free kick. Way too early to cast judgements on Bignot.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 199
ginnywings
December 10, 2016, 9:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I thought they looked a very decent side and we struggled to cope with the pressure they put us under whenever we had the ball. Second half was better and thought it would have been a decent point but it was a quality free kick. Way too early to cast judgements on Bignot.

Pretty much my take on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 199
OllieGTFC
December 10, 2016, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Considering they was the better side, they only by a wonderful free kick

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
December 11, 2016, 12:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Mariner93er
Ultimately the players aren't good enough for this level. Under Hurst's defensive style we could scrape by, but with manager who wants to attack, they are found wanting.

Under hurst, these same players looked to be reasonably organised and fluent and got us into a playoff position. This all now seems to be unraveling and I can't understand why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 199
Grimsby2012
December 11, 2016, 1:54am

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Childish Remark but it's no wonder I guess......

I always backed Hurst, and I was correct too. You always came on here with your doom and gloom attitude. Where as I stood up for Hurst and he got us Promoted.

Having MB as Manager was the cheap option and it's simple as that. We had better prospects in line but instead we went for someone for someone who basically didn't cost the club much money. Whatever way you look at it, that's fine, but it's wrong. Cheap option=Relegation, we should know that by now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 199
FFS
December 11, 2016, 3:00am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +38 / -2
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from fleabag1970

FFS

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others."
-Samuel Johnson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 199
FFS
December 11, 2016, 3:00am

Beer Drinker
Quoted from Grimsby2012
I agree. We will probably be relegated under MB. PH would have at least got us mid table, possibly play-offs

JF using the hype of a "young, up and coming manager" to Justify the cheap appointment he is....

Hello National League next year..........................................................

FFS

-Samuel Johnson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 199
FFS
December 11, 2016, 3:01am

Beer Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd agree, I also think his comments during interviews aren't going to go down as well when we're not winning. I wasn't overly enamoured by him in the first place, I thought Hursty did an excellent job.

FFS

-Samuel Johnson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 199
FFS
December 11, 2016, 3:02am

Beer Drinker
Quoted from Grimsby2012
I supported Hurst from the beginning and was adamant he would get us promoted... I was correct, and I'm also correct about MB only getting us relegated. Just wait and see.... Cheap option got us relegated from the league last time, and everyone said "Wait, too early" or "Your just a doom and gloom".......

FFS

-Samuel Johnson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 199
Mrs Doyle
December 11, 2016, 5:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Thought we totally lost it in midfield yesterday even when we had the ball they hunted in packs to win it back. They always had wide men available which we often looked exposed and like Ginney said our shape was pulled apart.

Unlike us who only had Bogz ON HIS OWN up front (WTF is Jackson's role They were able to out number Bogz having the luxury of no other danger until Tombola came on.

Don't like one man up front especially at home sends out the wrong message straight away and it limits your attack options.

Look we all knew deep down this season was going to be tough and a mid table position would be realistic lets give the manager a chance.

We have Davis and Mcalister injured better players imho than what we had yesterday.

Also Portsmouth were they best and most organised team I have seen so far and certainly the best set of fans.

Talking of packs I see the doom mongers have come out in force didn't take long lol.

See you all at Donny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 199
H19P1
December 11, 2016, 6:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +710
Roll on Donny. #wegoagain and never give up

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 199
Mrs Doyle
December 11, 2016, 7:17am
Whiskey Drinker
If Bignot wants a game plan for Donny portsmouth was a great example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 199
Grumps
December 11, 2016, 7:53am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
On the day we were beaten by a side that played better than us, 1st half we were terrible but competed better the second half. Our midfield looks very fragile but I am convinced we have the right manager who will get things right. We need to be patient as we have played all the top teams in the space of a few weeks. Work in progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 199
Davec
December 11, 2016, 8:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I can totally understand people's concerns but we must remember that he's trying to introduce his totally different style of play onto the squad, the squad Paul Hurst signed, remember Bignot signed 0 of these.

Yes we haven't had the start we hoped for but I think it is still too early to start calling for his head or saying we're going to get relegated under him, we have to give him time to bring his own players in, he's pretty much limited because most of the squad is on 2 year deals so until the end of next season he mainly has to work with what he's got and maybe they aren't capable of playing the way he wants to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2016, 8:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
I can totally understand people's concerns but we must remember that he's trying to introduce his totally different style of play onto the squad, the squad Paul Hurst signed, remember Bignot signed 0 of these.

Yes we haven't had the start we hoped for but I think it is still too early to start calling for his head or saying we're going to get relegated under him, we have to give him time to bring his own players in, he's pretty much limited because most of the squad is on 2 year deals so until the end of next season he mainly has to work with what he's got and maybe they aren't capable of playing the way he wants to.

I don't think anyone's calling for MB's head - yesterday highlighted the difference between a big budget L2 club and a low budget L2 club. Whichever way you look at it, we signed several players who, had they stayed at their previous club, would have been playing in the Conference this season.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 199
Rick12
December 11, 2016, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Early days but I hope Bignot and the players dont read the opening posts which I dont agree with at all

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 199
sydney
December 11, 2016, 9:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Will give him a chance and yes not getting relegated is top priority
But we have had so much positivity since the promotion and we would all like to see this continue
It's just we where so poor and seemed so clueless first half yesterday and nowhere near the same side that won at Plymouth
We struggle to keep possession and cannot string more than two or theee passes together
Whatever message he is trying to get over to the players he needs to reiterate it and ensure they all understand it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 199
Garth
December 11, 2016, 9:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Just like Cheltenham we have got several Conference standard players in the team which were PH signings, unlike Cheltenham we also have a backbone of decent PH signings Collins, Omar, Mills, Davies and McAlister, we need to find another goal scorer and a decent midfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 199
dapperz fun pub
December 11, 2016, 9:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 84
I can't understand his message tbh .. isolating bogz up top gave them the message we'd be happy to take a point at home.  Early days though I've still got faith in mb and hopefully with a couple of his own players we will be fine in mid table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 199
sydney
December 11, 2016, 9:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +1,009
MB answers to questions seem so long that the original question gets lost
Is this why the players aren't getting it 😬
Like him loads and I'm sure the players do too so let's get this show on the road starting at Donny.
Next four fixtures after that are all tough as well
Play Off Finalists
Current play off contenders
Carlisle away (very tough)
Then Toto and Amond away
So we will all know about the rest of the season by mid to late Jan
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 199
EY Mariner
December 11, 2016, 10:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Patience is a virtue. Sadly, it is not often seen here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 199
Civvy at last
December 11, 2016, 10:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,207
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from EY Mariner
Patience is a virtue. Sadly, it is not often seen here.

You say it's not often seen here. Perhaps you'd like to tell us which football forums it is shown on ??  And given that the majority of posts rightly so still support MB how do you justify that comment ??

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 199
Mariner_09
December 11, 2016, 10:40am
Whiskey Drinker
I'm still to be convinced but likewise need to unconviced also. I agree the midfield is weak, hoping McAllister and Comley could form a strong base when McAllister is fit, maybe even put Davies in there. Jackson isn't a wide player, so why not play Browne or Bolarinwa?

Private Message
Reply: 82 - 199
EY Mariner
December 11, 2016, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Civvy at last

You say it's not often seen here. Perhaps you'd like to tell us which football forums it is shown on ??  And given that the majority of posts rightly so still support MB how do you justify that comment ??

I'm simply giving my opinion, based on what I've read here this morning. But, seeing as you ask, I'm not referring to any other forums. I'm not interested in any other forums. I'm talking about THIS forum, this thread and others like it. The very fact this thread exists, after five meaningful games under a new manager, including three against sides in the top four of this division, is a total and utter nonsense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 199
Eastendmariner
December 11, 2016, 10:56am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
He Needs to sort the midfield out  cant have a midfielmidfield That nede 3-4 touches to get going but Needs a lot more time. Outplayed Yesterday  a 0-1 scoreli
Ne flattered us to be honest.

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 199
RoboCod
December 11, 2016, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Can't understand the negativity at all. I do feel that the midfield is the key issue, but rather than just point fingers and declare that player x isn't good enough I think it's more down to the type of play that MB wants to instill. Seriously, how can anyone really make a judgement until we have at least a couple of new faces in.
The mention of Hartlepool is an interesting one, with Hignett they have a supposedly ambitious and promising new manager, brought up in the true footballing tradition, yet this guy has pretty much built his own team (including a certain couple of ex Town players) and they are looking awful, losing 1-0 at home to Pompey is frustrating for us, but 5-0 at home to Cambridge quite rightly has the Monkey Hangers alarm bells ringing.
You could also point out the much heralded new era at Citeh under Guardiola, beaten comprehensively by Leicester and struggling to lay down his very disciplined ethos with his current players.

I don't think we're far off a steady top 5 team, though I'll have a better judgement on MB come the end of January onwards.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 199
oldun
December 11, 2016, 11:14am

Whiskey Drinker
It seems to me that MB likes to play at a high tempo, moving the ball forward quickly. He was clearly frustrated when that did not happen, especially in the first half. He wants this to start with the keeper and was clearly dismayed when Macca took ages the get things moving. I also think that some of the miss placed passes in midfield were due to them trying first touch passes without looking to see where colleagues were. I have my doubts if Summerfield and Berrett can actually do it. They need too much time to think and execute, added to which Portsmouth denied them time which made things worse. Despite the result it is much better to see BP nearly full playing Portsmouth  than say Guisely who would bring a car load. I know we want town to win, but sometimes you need to look at the overall game and appreciate the opposition's play. I personally enjoyed it, plenty of action and atmosphere and what a delightful attempt by Ashley Chambers in the second half. I was right behind it and with great skill he placed his shot towards the top corner only to denied by a good save.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2016, 11:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun
It seems to me that MB likes to play at a high tempo, moving the ball forward quickly. He was clearly frustrated when that did not happen, especially in the first half. He wants this to start with the keeper and was clearly dismayed when Macca took ages the get things moving. I also think that some of the miss placed passes in midfield were due to them trying first touch passes without looking to see where colleagues were. I have my doubts if Summerfield and Berrett can actually do it. They need too much time to think and execute, added to which Portsmouth denied them time which made things worse. Despite the result it is much better to see BP nearly full playing Portsmouth  than say Guisely who would bring a car load. I know we want town to win, but sometimes you need to look at the overall game and appreciate the opposition's play. I personally enjoyed it, plenty of action and atmosphere and what a delightful attempt by Ashley Chambers in the second half. I was right behind it and with great skill he placed his shot towards the top corner only to denied by a good save.

This also has something to do with the movement of players around them - Jackson and Bogle spent too much time waiting for the ball rather than moving into space yesterday - that also meant that there was no space for Mills or Andrew to move into, it's not easy to make a telling pass when there's no movement or area to pass into. Portsmouth denied us room to play at every opportunity which is also made easier by us having two slower centre backs that tend to play deep.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 199
GrimRob
December 11, 2016, 12:37pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
PH left at the right time (for him) with us a respectable position in the table after a fairly easy start to the season, we were always likely to drop back down the league - whoever was in charge - once we came up against the better sides in this division.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 88 - 199
mariner91
December 11, 2016, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Childish Remark but it's no wonder I guess......

I always backed Hurst, and I was correct too. You always came on here with your doom and gloom attitude. Where as I stood up for Hurst and he got us Promoted.

Having MB as Manager was the cheap option and it's simple as that. We had better prospects in line but instead we went for someone for someone who basically didn't cost the club much money. Whatever way you look at it, that's fine, but it's wrong. Cheap option=Relegation, we should know that by now.

Okay mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 199
Grimbiggs
December 11, 2016, 1:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Unfortunately you can only work with what you've got, it doesn't matter who's in charge. Our striking and central midfield options have been very limited from day 1, back in August. We've got by, and are getting found out now, as we're playing the better sides. Apart from Omar we've been very weak in those areas, the only way that will improve is with signings made in the January transfer window. I'd be more inclined to judge Marcus after then, when he's had time to bring in the players he feels we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 199
denni266
December 11, 2016, 2:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
I dont think that changing the whole system of play half way through the season is helping, in fact its going to cause more problems than it puts right.. like i said in another thread,, we just needed a bit more fire power up front not a full system change.. he should have waited untill he had his own players that he had picked for the job
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 199
kingster72
December 11, 2016, 3:22pm

Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Since MB has come in we've had some real tough games, Pompey, Plymouth & Carlisle and that doesn't stop next week with Donny, that said results have been okay and PH would have faired no better.  Clear to see yesterday, was that PH's recruits from York in centre mid are poor (Berrett & Summerfield), so we need to strengthen there and up top we need another option to play alongside Bogle.  Given time Bignot will prove a far better boss than Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 199
fleabag1970
December 11, 2016, 3:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Some of the insults on here are embarrassing to say the least .....  If you don't agree you don't have to insult the poster !!  I really do believe iam correct and that the players are been given way to much info at the min . As for the poster that said im making stuff up ? well , we shall see wont we

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 199
oldun
December 11, 2016, 3:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

This also has something to do with the movement of players around them - Jackson and Bogle spent too much time waiting for the ball rather than moving into space yesterday - that also meant that there was no space for Mills or Andrew to move into, it's not easy to make a telling pass when there's no movement or area to pass into. Portsmouth denied us room to play at every opportunity which is also made easier by us having two slower centre backs that tend to play deep.

I agree about lack of movement, which is something Pompey had in abundance. Always someone in space to make the pass easier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 199
Mrs Doyle
December 11, 2016, 4:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Am I right in thinking a lot of there players are from higher divisions even the premier if so it certainly showed yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 199
Mariner_501
December 11, 2016, 7:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
It's not Bignots fault for Hurst signing a load of shite is it???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 199
promotion plaice
December 11, 2016, 7:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,088
Gold Stars: 200

As long as Marcus keeps us clear of a relegation battle i'm happy as Larry, let's walk before we can run.........

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 199
Mrs Doyle
December 11, 2016, 8:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_501
It's not Bignots fault for Hurst signing a load of shite is it???

Not so long ago Hurst signed a cracking squad we were in the play off position and Bignot inherited a side capable of beating anyone in this division.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 199
HertsGTFC
December 11, 2016, 8:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kingster72
Since MB has come in we've had some real tough games, Pompey, Plymouth & Carlisle and that doesn't stop next week with Donny, that said results have been okay and PH would have faired no better.  Clear to see yesterday, was that PH's recruits from York in centre mid are poor (Berrett & Summerfield), so we need to strengthen there and up top we need another option to play alongside Bogle.  Given time Bignot will prove a far better boss than Hurst.

Possibly, possibly not but what I do know is that if PH would not have gone to Crawley and started with a 4 - 3 - 3 and maybe would have set "us" up much tighter than we have been in the last 5 games. Just before anyone comes back with PH would not have won 3 - 0 at Plymouth well again he possibly would not have but his away record was amongst the best we have had so who knows?

Bottom line for me is that Marcus is a really good appointment but as I said in a post earlier he needs to work on evolution rather than revolution as the latter was not really needed considering what he inherited. I am surprised that he appears to have tried to change so many things when we have a really tough run of matches and that has possibly exposed a lack of experience at FL level.

Overall though Marcus will get it right but we may just have to be patient for a couple of weeks more, which is much better than going to play away in the trophy or at Braintree on a cold foggy night in February.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 199
arryarryarry
December 11, 2016, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree - Summerfield is not technically as good as Berrett.

Berrett was technically hopeless yesterday.
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2016, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Berrett was technically hopeless yesterday.

I've a suspicion, based on MB's interviews, that he wants the midfield to move the ball forward quicker. From what I saw yesterday, that was the reason we lost possession so regularly plus the fact that Pompey closed us down so quickly and our front 3 didn't create any space. If that makes Berrett hopeless then so be it.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 199
HertsGTFC
December 11, 2016, 9:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I've a suspicion, based on MB's interviews, that he wants the midfield to move the ball forward quicker. From what I saw yesterday, that was the reason we lost possession so regularly plus the fact that Pompey closed us down so quickly and our front 3 didn't create any space. If that makes Berrett hopeless then so be it.

Spot on

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 199
lee65
December 11, 2016, 9:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10

I don't like knocking players if they at least appear to be trying, which I've no doubt Berrett and Summerfield were yesterday.
Sadly yesterday showed that at decent league two level they are not good enough as regular first choice starters

I live near York, and remember that this is essentially the CM pair that took them down  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2016, 9:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lee65

I don't like knocking players if they at least appear to be trying, which I've no doubt Berrett and Summerfield were yesterday.
Sadly yesterday showed that at decent league two level they are not good enough as regular first choice starters

I live near York, and remember that this is essentially the CM pair that took them down  

As far as I can remember, they've never been the central 2 in a midfield 4 for us yet. Admittedly, if they were, I would be worried!
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 199
Davec
December 11, 2016, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
The Old Codger first half at Colchester they were, look what happened in that first half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2016, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
The Old Codger first half at Colchester they were, look what happened in that first half

No, they weren't - that was the last game McAllister started - the first half at Colchester was the Andrew Boyce Horror Show.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 199
Davec
December 11, 2016, 10:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Incorrect Old Codger, Berrett and Summerfield started in centre mid together, McAllister wasn't even on the bench...

Even check the team that day...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2016, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
Incorrect Old Codger, Berrett and Summerfield started in centre mid together, McAllister wasn't even on the bench...

Even check the team that day...

There you go then, they can't play as a central 2 which is what I said!
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 199
Davec
December 11, 2016, 10:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Indeed you did,

They don't have enough physicality or defensive discipline and nous to play together
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 199
kevikov
December 11, 2016, 11:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +837
Gold Stars: 13
Do we have a date when we might expect Mc Allister back in the starting line up?
A couple of weeks back I thought I read he was back in training?

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 199
Cloudy
December 12, 2016, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from kevikov
Do we have a date when we might expect Mc Allister back in the starting line up?
A couple of weeks back I thought I read he was back in training?

someone posted that the player had suggested he would be available for the end of this month? I assume the Blackpool/Carlisle game?
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 199
forza ivano
December 12, 2016, 10:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Possibly, possibly not but what I do know is that if PH would not have gone to Crawley and started with a 4 - 3 - 3 and maybe would have set "us" up much tighter than we have been in the last 5 games. Just before anyone comes back with PH would not have won 3 - 0 at Plymouth well again he possibly would not have but his away record was amongst the best we have had so who knows?

Bottom line for me is that Marcus is a really good appointment but as I said in a post earlier he needs to work on evolution rather than revolution as the latter was not really needed considering what he inherited. I am surprised that he appears to have tried to change so many things when we have a really tough run of matches and that has possibly exposed a lack of experience at FL level.

Overall though Marcus will get it right but we may just have to be patient for a couple of weeks more, which is much better than going to play away in the trophy or at Braintree on a cold foggy night in February.  

totally agree - it's almost a bull in a china shop approach; too much change too soon.i could understand it if we were in a shrewsbury/newport position but we were doing doing pretty well. would have seemed much more sensible to change it bit by bit. have to say watching that crawley game it was like an end to end cup tie i was actually wishing we had kept some of hurst's defensive discipline, or at least played a holding midfielder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 199
grimsby pete
December 12, 2016, 11:15am

Exile
Marcus is trying to get the players to play his way

For the ones who can not adapt tells Marcus what  he needs in the January sales,

It is right to do it now because it will be too late to do it later in the season,

We need some energy in the middle of the field,

Our present midfield players do not play like that imo,

Venney deserves a run in the side the few times I have seen him he fits the bill.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 199
dapperz fun pub
December 12, 2016, 11:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Marcus is trying to get the players to play his way

For the ones who can not adapt tells Marcus what  he needs in the January sales,

It is right to do it now because it will be too late to do it later in the season,

We need some energy in the middle of the field,

Our present midfield players do not play like that imo,

Venney deserves a run in the side the few times I have seen him he fits the bill.

venney not big enough and Clifton not good enough is what I'm hearing , I think both should be given a go and soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 199
realist
December 12, 2016, 11:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I am probably one of the most negative posters on here, but at the moment I am still full of optimism and hope.   I think we have a manager that really wants us to play attractive attacking football, but has been hampered with the quality of players he has inherited. I never agreed with all the happy clappers comments that Hurst could find a good player.
Lets all stick together and at least give MB the chance to get in a few of his own players and see what happens then.
After 4 years of Hurst and I wanted him out there was a strong contingent on here that wanted to give him more time. After 4 games you are giving MB a hard time. Give over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 199
Garth
December 12, 2016, 11:44am

Season Ticket Holder
I think that Dis and Venney will replace Sommerfield and Berrett on Saturday and that some on here are far to quick to defend what has become the indefensible regarding some aspects of our midfield, IMO to play both the ex York lads together in the same team will only end in tears, sounds harsh but its what message boards are about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 199
grimsby pete
December 12, 2016, 11:45am

Exile
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

venney not big enough and Clifton not good enough is what I'm hearing , I think both should be given a go and soon.

A lot of people said Dave Boylen was not big enough when we first got him,

How wrong was they ?  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 199
grimsby pete
December 12, 2016, 11:48am

Exile
Quoted from realist
I am probably one of the most negative posters on here, but at the moment I am still full of optimism and hope.   I think we have a manager that really wants us to play attractive attacking football, but has been hampered with the quality of players he has inherited. I never agreed with all the happy clappers comments that Hurst could find a good player.
Lets all stick together and at least give MB the chance to get in a few of his own players and see what happens then.
After 4 years of Hurst and I wanted him out there was a strong contingent on here that wanted to give him more time. After 4 games you are giving MB a hard time. Give over.

Agree, I think for every good player Hurst signed he got it wrong 2 or 3 times,

Hence our huge turnover of players while he was in charge,

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 199
Skrill
December 12, 2016, 11:49am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
The best thing we can do is enjoy the ride. We are not expected to win every game, therefore criticism is all to easy. What we do have, is an honest and likeable manger that is working for attractive and attacking football. What we can do as mariners, is support the manger. Lets see what January brings.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 199
Tommy
December 12, 2016, 2:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Without the ball on Saturday we were OK. Yes, Portsmouth had a lot of possession in midfield and sometimes in wide areas. But we were a compact unit where it matters in the middle. This resulted in them creating no real clearcut chances. You'd have to accept having less possession when playing a team like Portsmouth who have a better standard of player throughout their side.

With the ball is what let us down. If you're not going to have much possession in a game then when you have it, you've either got to keep it for a bit, or break quickly to exploit defensive disorganisation. Sloppy simple passes and poor touches when running with the ball meant we were surrendering possession within a few seconds. Even when we weren't hounded by the impressively quick and intense Portsmouth press.

I disagree with people saying the formation left Bogle isolated. It didn't. What left Bogle isolated was that we didn't keep the ball long enough to give the attacking players time to get higher up the pitch before we lost it again. And then Bogle, perhaps being allowed too much freedom to wander where he wants, was dropping far too deep and far too wide so that when we won it in midfield, we didn't have an option for a forward pass into a striker. OB needs to play between the width of the penalty area.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 12, 2016, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Without the ball on Saturday we were OK. Yes, Portsmouth had a lot of possession in midfield and sometimes in wide areas. But we were a compact unit where it matters in the middle. This resulted in them creating no real clearcut chances. You'd have to accept having less possession when playing a team like Portsmouth who have a better standard of player throughout their side.

With the ball is what let us down. If you're not going to have much possession in a game then when you have it, you've either got to keep it for a bit, or break quickly to exploit defensive disorganisation. Sloppy simple passes and poor touches when running with the ball meant we were surrendering possession within a few seconds. Even when we weren't hounded by the impressively quick and intense Portsmouth press.

I disagree with people saying the formation left Bogle isolated. It didn't. What left Bogle isolated was that we didn't keep the ball long enough to give the attacking players time to get higher up the pitch before we lost it again. And then Bogle, perhaps being allowed too much freedom to wander where he wants, was dropping far too deep and far too wide so that when we won it in midfield, we didn't have an option for a forward pass into a striker. OB needs to play between the width of the penalty area.

Exactly what I said on Saturday plus he seemed to be in one of his 'Why me?' moods - he seems to make a run then stop and wait for the ball to come and when it doesn't he sulks.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 199
ginnywings
December 12, 2016, 5:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Cloudy

someone posted that the player had suggested he would be available for the end of this month? I assume the Blackpool/Carlisle game?

'Twas me. My nephew asked him on Saturday when he would be fit to play and he said 2 weeks. Of course, he will need to get back up to speed with some game time, so doubt he will be playing 90 mins from the off.

As for the comment about MB changing too much too soon, i don't agree with that. Why wait? Give the players the chance to adapt to the new regime and if they can't, then Jan is the time for changes. I think some are losing site of the fact that we have had a tough run of games. We won't be playing that standard of opposition every week.

I agreed with MB's assessment after the game about too many back passes and sideways passes. He said they are negative and boring and he clearly wants the players to be more forward thinking and not take the easy option. If they can't adapt, then find players that can. He was clearly exasperated, as was i, that Tombola decided to play a cross field pass, very poorly as it happens, when we were breaking on the wing. I'm still trying to fathom what he was thinking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 12, 2016, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

'Twas me. My nephew asked him on Saturday when he would be fit to play and he said 2 weeks. Of course, he will need to get back up to speed with some game time, so doubt he will be playing 90 mins from the off.

As for the comment about MB changing too much too soon, i don't agree with that. Why wait? Give the players the chance to adapt to the new regime and if they can't, then Jan is the time for changes. I think some are losing site of the fact that we have had a tough run of games. We won't be playing that standard of opposition every week.

I agreed with MB's assessment after the game about too many back passes and sideways passes. He said they are negative and boring and he clearly wants the players to be more forward thinking and not take the easy option. If they can't adapt, then find players that can. He was clearly exasperated, as was i, that Tombola decided to play a cross field pass, very poorly as it happens, when we were breaking on the wing. I'm still trying to fathom what he was thinking.

He clearly wants to play progressive football - I think two out of the three centre mids were trying to play the ball forward on Saturday but Portsmouth's pressing and the poor movement in front made it difficult for them to do so. More and more, I think we should praise Pompey's abilities as opposed to berating our own inability to deliver what the manager clearly wants us to do.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 199
HertsGTFC
December 12, 2016, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

My counter argument to that Ginny is come through a tough run of games with a few points & clean sheets then go into the easier games winning and secure your safety earlier, then tamper. As it stands we potentially will come through this run with a small points haul which will add pressure to games that we should win.

If our boss changed most of your daily routine whilst extending your working hours with additional "theory" and also the style in the way you worked and asked you to work quicker with a heavier workload than before could you do that? I am not sure I could.

Marcus is a really good guy everybody can see that and he will see us through but he just for a while at least needs to stop talking about us being a good footballing side as we (those that where around in the 70s/80s/90s if not before ) all know what that looks like and we have a fair way to go before we fall into that category...................Though we are capable of it if we build at the right pace.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 199
dapperz fun pub
December 13, 2016, 10:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

A lot of people said Dave Boylen was not big enough when we first got him,

How wrong was they ?  

Exactly Pete if you don't give them a go the question will remain unanswered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 199
lew chaterleys lover
December 13, 2016, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from realist

We have the best squad of players we have had in years, and Hurst found them all.

When we played Cambridge away we were excellent in all areas. That week the news broke about Hurst possibly leaving and bar the Plymouth game we haven't got the results we hoped for.

There are lots of reasons for that, mainly I assume about players getting used to new ideas from a new manager but, I dont think there was a lot wrong before.If he has tried to get his ideas over too quickly then that has been a mistake.

I heard the managers interview after the game and it was the polar opposite of what Hurst would say, but I thought it was a bit rambling and he seems to be trying a bit too hard to become "one of us".

He may be able to build a team full of attacking intent, on the budget he will be given, and it will be great if he does obviously, but I think we need to tread carefully. We dont want to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak.

Those players who have been excellent earlier in the season had stinkers on Saturday; it could be that Portsmouth were a division above in quality, but I also think some players might not have bought into Bignots methods yet.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 199
forza ivano
December 13, 2016, 11:32am

Exile
Quoted from HertsGTFC

My counter argument to that Ginny is come through a tough run of games with a few points & clean sheets then go into the easier games winning and secure your safety earlier, then tamper. As it stands we potentially will come through this run with a small points haul which will add pressure to games that we should win.

If our boss changed most of your daily routine whilst extending your working hours with additional "theory" and also the style in the way you worked and asked you to work quicker with a heavier workload than before could you do that? I am not sure I could.

Marcus is a really good guy everybody can see that and he will see us through but he just for a while at least needs to stop talking about us being a good footballing side as we (those that where around in the 70s/80s/90s if not before ) all know what that looks like and we have a fair way to go before we fall into that category...................Though we are capable of it if we build at the right pace.

lot of sense in there herts

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 199
grimsby pete
December 13, 2016, 11:58am

Exile
If we can manage a win and a draw from our next 2 games (should be possible )

That will take us to halfway through the season with 30 points,

Which means we only need another 20 points to be safe,

So no need to panic a mid table finish is ok by me this season,

Let Marcus start next season with a few new signings and see where we go from then.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 199
Paris Mariner
December 13, 2016, 12:25pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Jesus, we're are an impatient bunch. How many games has Bignot had in charge?! It's League 2 and he's unable to bring in any real new signings until January at the earliest and it's not like we can afford anything like a new squad overhaul even if we needed one.

We're sat 12th in League 2, having just come up, a mere four points off the play-offs. No we haven't been convincing of late but we've player Carlisle (lost one all year) Plymouth (top) and Pompey (4th) in 3 of the last four games. From the nine points available in those games we've brought home 4. It's more than I was expecting!

The Crawley defeat may have been disappointing but most of the squad retained are playing at this level for the first time and probably still finding their feet. We should be focusing on making a great atmosphere (for those going) at Donny away and supporting the team to the fullest home and away, trusting our new manager to do his job.

A coach can't implement his style or system 8 matches into his tenure. Ask Guardiola.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 129 - 199
Revolutionary Rodders
December 13, 2016, 1:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +34
I think it's way too soon to judge Marcus Bignot, especially when he hasn't had the chance to bring in any players himself.
I know the result was disappointing against Portsmouth but they did look a good team, and even though in the first half (and some of the second) our midfield was missing in action, our defence played very well limiting their chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 199
grimsby pete
December 13, 2016, 3:56pm

Exile
I think it's way too soon to judge Marcus Bignot, especially when he hasn't had the chance to bring in any players himself.
I know the result was disappointing against Portsmouth but they did look a good team, and even though in the first half (and some of the second) our midfield was missing in action, our defence played very well limiting their chances.

Welcome to the fishy

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 199
Mariner_09
December 13, 2016, 4:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Midfield needs rectifying and strengthening physically, he's had a tough run of games and after Saturday they start to look a bit easier.

Private Message
Reply: 132 - 199
golfer
December 13, 2016, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
If I could have a clear out on what I have seen this season half the so called first team would be queuing at the station. Everybody other than the back 5 and Bogle would be on their way. Out of those not playing I would possibly keep another 4. Thats not even a full team when everyone's fit'  That's how much I value the inheritance left to our manager. Hurst knew what he was doing when he left. We were in a false position and he knew it. A lot of this team was forced on him when several players he wanted to keep left him in the shite and there was nobody any good to sign. I don't envy the job Marcus has to do with the shower of shite he's got.  Good luck Marcus you are going to need it but I think you will just about keep us in this division until you can bring your own players in. I hope there aren't too many of these on 2 year contracts.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 199
Revolutionary Rodders
December 13, 2016, 8:15pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +34
Thanks Grimsby Pete.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 199
TheCodfather1966
December 14, 2016, 11:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Far from convinced, MB talks a great game but has so far delivered very little.  In the words of Martin Allen " Grimsby could be too big a club for Marcus at this stage of his career ".  I love the guys enthusiasm, but this has to be backed up some some steady if not spectacular results on the pitch.  Take Bogle out of this team and we are not left with much at all.

Lets hope we turn things around at Donny.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 199
Tommy
December 14, 2016, 11:41am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Far from convinced, MB talks a great game but has so far delivered very little.  In the words of Martin Allen " Grimsby could be too big a club for Marcus at this stage of his career ".  I love the guys enthusiasm, but this has to be backed up some some steady if not spectacular results on the pitch.  Take Bogle out of this team and we are not left with much at all.

Lets hope we turn things around at Donny.

UTM

I think people forget that if you take a player out of a team, we are allowed to play someone else in their place - and we've got a habit recently of finding good replacements for goalscoring strikers.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 199
Tommy
December 14, 2016, 11:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Bignot's matches so far

TOWN 2-2 Barnet
Plymouth 0-3 TOWN
TOWN 2-2 Carlisle
Crawley 3-2 TOWN
TOWN 0-1 Portsmouth

5 games.
Three of them against teams in the top 4.
One of them we are a last-minute penalty kick from winning.
One of them a ridiculous calamity gives Carlisle a goal.
One of them whilst we were poor it took a good free kick to beat us.

JUST CHILL.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 14, 2016, 12:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Quoted from golfer
If I could have a clear out on what I have seen this season half the so called first team would be queuing at the station. Everybody other than the back 5 and Bogle would be on their way. Out of those not playing I would possibly keep another 4. Thats not even a full team when everyone's fit'  That's how much I value the inheritance left to our manager. Hurst knew what he was doing when he left. We were in a false position and he knew it. A lot of this team was forced on him when several players he wanted to keep left him in the shite and there was nobody any good to sign. I don't envy the job Marcus has to do with the shower of shite he's got.  Good luck Marcus you are going to need it but I think you will just about keep us in this division until you can bring your own players in. I hope there aren't too many of these on 2 year contracts.

I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of PH's dilemma and some of the performances - but we are what we are, at least until next month. Time is on MB's side. He can see who is buying in to his ideas and who isn't. I don't think he will lose his ambitions.  Presumably there are options to end loans if MB wants to and he will be able to bring in one or two new faces but that's about it. I can't see that the personnel is going to change radically unless ............ Bogle leaves. In that case it's a whole new ball game depending of course on what we get for him. The big worry about Bogle going is that there is no-one in the ranks who has looked remotely like a decent regular striker.

I haven't commented much on the past couple of games because they may not be typical. MB is not a miracle worker. Maybe he tried too hard when he came and built up fans' expectations too fast and we have come down to earth with a bit of a bump. I think we will be in a much better position to judge both manager and players by the end of the transfer window next month so I'm not going to jump to rash conclusions just now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 14, 2016, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Bignot's matches so far

TOWN 2-2 Barnet
Plymouth 0-3 TOWN
TOWN 2-2 Carlisle
Crawley 3-2 TOWN
TOWN 0-1 Portsmouth

5 games.
Three of them against teams in the top 4.
One of them we are a last-minute penalty kick from winning.
One of them a ridiculous calamity gives Carlisle a goal.
One of them whilst we were poor it took a good free kick to beat us.

JUST CHILL.

Still don't think we were that bad - remember the defeats to Cheltenham and Hartlepool? They didn't have to be that good to beat us. The best two teams I've seen are Carlisle and Portsmouth - one didn't beat us and the other we lost in the last 5 minutes due to a bad challenge by one of our forwards.

Both teams, particularly Portsmouth, closed down the space, their full backs pushed Chambers and Jackson back which isolated Omar and reduced the options for passing when we did get the ball. No disaster, just a bit frustrating, but possibly the best teams we will play this season.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 199
excusebeef
January 8, 2017, 4:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
Red first post... what bores me is clowns slating a new manager inheriting his new team. he trains them hard plays a new formation that beats one of the best teams away, having signed a player no one heard of who bags us 6 points. jesus it grates me sometimes how people complain. mb is gonna be quality for town. has the original poster said anything better than this after?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 199
excusebeef
January 8, 2017, 4:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
MB totally changed the teams mentality. we hadn't scored in so many games, he was yes to play direct the football, forward thinking. miles apart from hursts safety net play. it takes time and now look. I fecking love my team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 199
Cloudy
January 8, 2017, 6:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from excusebeef
Red first post... what bores me is clowns slating a new manager inheriting his new team. he trains them hard plays a new formation that beats one of the best teams away, having signed a player no one heard of who bags us 6 points. jesus it grates me sometimes how people complain. mb is gonna be quality for town. has the original poster said anything better than this after?

The original poster has always only posted the same sort of claptrap. A wind up merchant.
You won't see posts from him at all when we are winning
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 199
golfer
January 8, 2017, 8:08am
Vodka Drinker
Marcus is a "Breath of Fresh Air"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 199
grimsby pete
January 8, 2017, 11:01am

Exile
Quoted from golfer
Marcus is a "Breath of Fresh Air"

Fully agree,

All the years Hurst was here I sat on the fence about him,

Sometimes thinking he will make it sometimes thinking he does not have a clue,

With Marcus I am fully behind him and think he will be fantastic for us and go on to bigger things,

Hopefully not for a while yet,

Onwards and upwards  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 11:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Still don't think we were that bad - remember the defeats to Cheltenham and Hartlepool? They didn't have to be that good to beat us. The best two teams I've seen are Carlisle and Portsmouth - one didn't beat us and the other we lost in the last 5 minutes due to a bad challenge by one of our forwards.

Both teams, particularly Portsmouth, closed down the space, their full backs pushed Chambers and Jackson back which isolated Omar and reduced the options for passing when we did get the ball. No disaster, just a bit frustrating, but possibly the best teams we will play this season.

As mentioned in a previous thread/post we have only conceded 1 goal from open play since November 28th which tells you something that Marcus is not just about attack despite some of the things he says in the media he clearly understands any success will be on the basis of a solid defence.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 199
chipsandgravy
January 8, 2017, 11:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
There are a few posters on this thread and certainly a few tweeters that  have not only made complete arses of themselves but are now conspicuous by there abscence!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 199
BottesfordMariner
January 8, 2017, 12:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
As a manager you are judged on the most recent results. Its the way it is.

MB had a decent start then had a slump. Fans get worried. Now on a tidy little run everyones happy again.

Of course its still early days of the MB era and you cant really judge someone over a short stretch of games.

We played some tough opponents leading up to Christmas so whilst i wasnt overly concerned that results werent going our way i was a bit concerned about the level of performance.

We seemed to have learned form that and 10 pts from 12 is a very good return.

The defence looks solid. I feel sorry for Macca ( a magnificent servant to the club) but Henderson has come in and hardly put a foot wrong. MB clearly wants to make us even better with the addition of Gunning.

MB is still working on improving our forward play.

Again early days but MB seems to have picked up a player in Yusuf. I hadnt heard of him a week ago. Hursty rightly had a good reputation for spotting talent. The new management team may have the same gift

Hopefully another couple of new faces during this window and the club can build on this solid foundation.

Just over half way through the season and the first priority of staying up is already within sight..I think all Town fans would be happy with where we are right now.

With that target out of the way why now aim to finish as high as we can. Play-offs ??  Why not. If we dont make it its not the end of the world. A mid table finish would be a very satisfactory 1st season back in the Football League. But lets face it we are greedy (I know I am!) and being where we are right now lets give it a right go.

Lets get behind the team and the manager. Who knows where that could take us. They will likely be bumps along the way. Lets not get too down if there are.Onwards and Upwards.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2017, 12:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
I cannot imagine we would have 36 points and be in the position we are if we had not had a change of manager. Even accepting the fact we were eventually promoted I still think PH got a lot more from GTFC than the club got from employing PH for 5 years.

It may be that we are still in the honeymoon period but I doubt it now. You don't stand still in football, you go up or you go down. Ambition is infectious and you can feel that people have a much more positive atmosphere than it did in September when the Fishy was in "we'll be satisfied if we stay up" mood. The team go out with the idea of getting the 3 points instead of just stopping the other lot from winning. It means a lot, it energises the supporters and MB realises that.

The play offs are within reach. Depending on the January transfers that is a realistic ambition and we should go all out to do it. Then who knows? We know they are a lottery but if you don't buy a ticket you can't win.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 199
Kris2
January 8, 2017, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from chipsandgravy
There are a few posters on this thread and certainly a few tweeters that  have not only made complete arses of themselves but are now conspicuous by there abscence!

Oh they are never there when we are doing well lol. If we lose a couple of games the same few sad sacks turn up and start complaining I wonder sometimes if they are even supporters or they just get off on coming to wind people up when we lose because they never seem interested in celebrating and praising when it's due.  
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 199
Grimal
January 8, 2017, 12:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
[quote=672]

Fully agree,

With Marcus I am fully behind him and think he will be fantastic for us and go on to bigger things,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets hope he's going on to bigger things with us Pete, then the end of this sentence wouldn't apply.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 12:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I cannot imagine we would have 36 points and be in the position we are if we had not had a change of manager. Even accepting the fact we were eventually promoted I still think PH got a lot more from GTFC than the club got from employing PH for 5 years.

It may be that we are still in the honeymoon period but I doubt it now. You don't stand still in football, you go up or you go down. Ambition is infectious and you can feel that people have a much more positive atmosphere than it did in September when the Fishy was in "we'll be satisfied if we stay up" mood. The team go out with the idea of getting the 3 points instead of just stopping the other lot from winning. It means a lot, it energises the supporters and MB realises that.

The play offs are within reach. Depending on the January transfers that is a realistic ambition and we should go all out to do it. Then who knows? We know they are a lottery but if you don't buy a ticket you can't win.

How can you specifically back up what is in bold above?  What's the point at having a pop at Hurst?

We are where we wanted to be, PH had a big hand in that, he may have got a move on the back of us getting promoted but many managers do (Laurie Mac, John Newman, Alan Buckley all did), that's football. I find it odd that people start posts by having a pop at someone who did what he was paid to do and cannot defend himself, though the fact the manager helped get is up should be his defence.

You are completely right you should not stand still in football and alongside that there is no point in looking back either. Absolutely the time to focus on the present and the future and who knows even further success?

BTW in September we took a stack of fans to Notts County, won at Mansfield and Luton and got 10 points from 15 it looks like Jan 17 will be better but Sept was possibly our most solid month to date in terms of results..  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
January 8, 2017, 12:49pm
Beer Drinker
A real good feeling about things now as the players finally seem to understand what Marcus wants from them.

I was concerned about the performances a few weeks ago as our midfield players seemed to be like tailor's dummies watching the world go by and seemingly unable to pass the ball. But this 3-5-2 system with a change in personnel, is one the players look comfortable with - even if Marcus may have possibly stumbled upon it by accident!

It's also good to see some really strong performances now from the likes of Henderson, Davies, Andrew, Mills, Comley and Bogle (co-incidentally all Hurst signings - yes the man really did have an eye for talent and we should always acknowledge that).

Come on Town - a big push now for promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 12:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
When Conte changed Chelsea to 3-5-2, they won 13 on the trot. Here's hoping.

I also don't Think RRFC is having a pop at PH, more stating his opinion, which is what most comments are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2017, 1:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How can you specifically back up what is in bold above?  What's the point at having a pop at Hurst?

We are where we wanted to be, PH had a big hand in that, he may have got a move on the back of us getting promoted but many managers do (Laurie Mac, John Newman, Alan Buckley all did), that's football. I find it odd that people start posts by having a pop at someone who did what he was paid to do and cannot defend himself, though the fact the manager helped get is up should be his defence.

You are completely right you should not stand still in football and alongside that there is no point in looking back either. Absolutely the time to focus on the present and the future and who knows even further success?

BTW in September we took a stack of fans to Notts County, won at Mansfield and Luton and got 10 points from 15 it looks like Jan 17 will be better but Sept was possibly our most solid month to date in terms of results..  

I am talking about attitudes as much as anything. I don't doubt we would have got points, just that we would not have 36. The reason is that PH always had a percentage game mentality. It will serve him well with the position he has at Shrewsbury but as far as ambition for a club is concerned it is a handicap to send a side out with the thought that rule one is to defend. I still think that is why it took him so long to get us up. The aim is to get the most points. You can go undefeated for 12 games and only get 12 points or you can win 6 and lose 6 and get 18 points. No-one is daft enough to do the latter but PH would always seem happy to take the draw.

It is everyone's right to comment on previous managers, alive or dead, as they think fit with their opinion. I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway.

Private Message
Reply: 154 - 199
Mrs Doyle
January 8, 2017, 1:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
" I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway."

I didn't think that until he cupped his ear at Wembley in a two fingered salute to the town faithful. I know there was a lot of pressure on him to deliver but not everybody slagged him off. I felt after that Halifax game and all that went on a few seemed destined to leave some rather hastily.

However a new chapter was always on the cards and the break from the past was badly needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 1:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I am talking about attitudes as much as anything. I don't doubt we would have got points, just that we would not have 36. The reason is that PH always had a percentage game mentality. It will serve him well with the position he has at Shrewsbury but as far as ambition for a club is concerned it is a handicap to send a side out with the thought that rule one is to defend. I still think that is why it took him so long to get us up. The aim is to get the most points. You can go undefeated for 12 games and only get 12 points or you can win 6 and lose 6 and get 18 points. No-one is daft enough to do the latter but PH would always seem happy to take the draw.

It is everyone's right to comment on previous managers, alive or dead, as they think fit with their opinion. I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway.

Fair enough! But don't you think that "percentage game mentality" led to one of the best away records in the history of the club? All be it in a tin pot league? Also conceding 1 goal in open play since November 28th would suggest that the "rule 1" theory is something that is serving us well at the moment?

Funny how history works I reckon someone said to me recently that PH is one of only 5 managers to get us promoted in the last 50 years.

Anyway the future is looking rosy I reckon     

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
" I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway."

I didn't think that until he cupped his ear at Wembley in a two fingered salute to the town faithful. I know there was a lot of pressure on him to deliver but not everybody slagged him off. I felt after that Halifax game and all that went on a few seemed destined to leave.

he did cop for a lot at Halifax, I have been going to games since 1978 and I have never heard anything like that, then again the "spoilt" comment was possibly not his best piece of media work.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 1:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Fair enough! But don't you think that "percentage game mentality" led to one of the best away records in the history of the club? All be it in a tin pot league? Also conceding 1 goal in open play since November 28th would suggest that the "rule 1" theory is something that is serving us well at the moment?

Funny how history works I reckon someone said to me recently that PH is one of only 5 managers to get us promoted in the last 50 years.

Anyway the future is looking rosy I reckon     

There are different approaches to "rule 1" though. The Hurst way is to keep us shape and play tight and efficient football. The MB way is to keep the ball away from the opposition and play further up the pitch.

In essence, it's either attack is the best form of defence, or defence is the best form of defence. I'd rather we lost trying to win than set out for a point and anything else is a bonus mentality. As RRFC points out, losing games is no big deal if you win a fair few as well. Draws are no good to no-one long term. They just leave you in a safe no mans land.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 199
KingstonMariner
January 8, 2017, 1:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

There are different approaches to "rule 1" though. The Hurst way is to keep us shape and play tight and efficient football. The MB way is to keep the ball away from the opposition and play further up the pitch.

In essence, it's either attack is the best form of defence, or defence is the best form of defence. I'd rather we lost trying to win than set out for a point and anything else is a bonus mentality. As RRFC points out, losing games is no big deal if you win a fair few as well. Draws are no good to no-one long term. They just leave you in a safe no mans land.

Not a phrase I ever expected to read.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 2:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not a phrase I ever expected to read.

Hey, it's the fishy, nothing should surprise you. 'Tis a bit lame i admit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 2:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Agree with that but we did score 83 league goals last year although against tin pot opposition and some really ropey sides and as you quite rightly pointed out recently Ginny PH wanted to play what is seen as a more open 4 - 3 - 3 but never felt he had the personnel.

Things is with Paul we could have won the champions league but after cupping his ear at Wembley it still would not have won many people over.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 199
Rodley Mariner
January 8, 2017, 2:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Yesterday sounded just like the sort of away performance we used to get under PH didn't it? I'm pleased with how it's going and I like MB but I'm not sure I see the huge change of approach some seem to.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 199
Gaffer58
January 8, 2017, 2:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
The main thing for me is that prior to a game Marcus will talk positively about getting a result without belittling the opposition, P Hurst on the other hand would big up the opposition that I think the players and maybe some fans would think we were playing world beaters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 199
lew chaterleys lover
January 8, 2017, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

Oh they are never there when we are doing well lol. If we lose a couple of games the same few sad sacks turn up and start complaining I wonder sometimes if they are even supporters or they just get off on coming to wind people up when we lose because they never seem interested in celebrating and praising when it's due.  

If I am not criticising then things are going reasonably well, just the way I like it!  
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 3:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Yesterday sounded just like the sort of away performance we used to get under PH didn't it? I'm pleased with how it's going and I like MB but I'm not sure I see the huge change of approach some seem to.

I think the will is there to change the approach but not the players as yet. Going 3-5-2 lately may suggest that Bignot has realised that he can't get us playing the way he wants to at this time and has tightened us up on the back of three losses on the trot and playing a system that suits the personnel we currently have. I think we will play a more expansive game than Hurst did when the appropriate signings are made. I think he has realised that the wide players we have are not up to it, so is using wing backs instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2017, 3:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree with that but we did score 83 league goals last year although against tin pot opposition and some really ropey sides and as you quite rightly pointed out recently Ginny PH wanted to play what is seen as a more open 4 - 3 - 3 but never felt he had the personnel.

Things is with Paul we could have won the champions league but after cupping his ear at Wembley it still would not have won many people over.

I was never interested in the ear cupping and though his approach to fans and the media left something to be desired it was always his football approach that I was never keen on. The best way out of that league was to go for the jugular and build a team to make others afraid. Somehow he would make us appear to be the underdogs even against the pub teams. It's reasonable to have an opinion about that isn't it?

If as you say he wanted to play a more open style he had years to assemble the personnel. I don't think he really did. His game is rooted in the 1990s when defence began with the number 9 and if the other side didn't score you had a point. If he had wanted to be more open in the play he would never have messed about Amond and Bogle with people like Tomlinson like he did. His problem was that he couldn't come up with any other way to defend without his strikers running themselves legless but he couldn't get the team to play to the strikers to win games either.

So the easier way out is 4-4-2, hard running strikers, defensive midfield, wingers cover full backs, long ball out, fight for the second ball, play from there. Easy to play, easy to stop too.

His other problem was that tactically, i.e. during games, he wasn't very inventive and his substitutions were less than inspiring.

I'm not 100% certain about MB yet, this window and another month or two of routine matches will let us know what his ideas are really like. I am just saying that so far those ideas and the ethos he has brought have gained us more points than the safety first would have done and the position of being able to look down on most of the league. Even when not playing well, the players look interested in getting the ball quickly and getting forward if they can. Better players will do that better.

Private Message
Reply: 166 - 199
Hertsmariner
January 8, 2017, 3:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Reading the early pages of this thread convinces me yet again that the instinct of some contributors is always to fire off the first thing that comes into their head only to see, less than a month later, that their words look slightly ridiculous in print. I said on here (and some others said it too) that I thought MB was an excellent choice but that I didn't expect Town to embark on a winning run straight away. It's an old adage that 'patience is a virtue' and it's as true in football as in any other walk of life. It seems to me that the least successful clubs are those that change managers at the drop of a hat (how ya doing Notts County?). It always takes time to change a culture and one could tell at the very beginning that MB and PH were very different characters, the latter diffident and frequently tetchy, the former bubbly and extrovert, overflowing with enthusiasm for the task ahead. But it's still early days and it'll take time for MB to build the team he wants to build. Personally, I really like the guy-full of optimism, and I think it galvanises the supporters too. If part of the new culture is to have double training sessions and have class room sessions too, I imagine this is all part of the drive to improve fitness and application. Surely the other adage that 'practice makes perfect' has merit too! I'm more optimistic now about the club's future than I have been for years, but I know it's still early days too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 4:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I was never interested in the ear cupping and though his approach to fans and the media left something to be desired it was always his football approach that I was never keen on. The best way out of that league was to go for the jugular and build a team to make others afraid. Somehow he would make us appear to be the underdogs even against the pub teams. It's reasonable to have an opinion about that isn't it?

If as you say he wanted to play a more open style he had years to assemble the personnel. I don't think he really did. His game is rooted in the 1990s when defence began with the number 9 and if the other side didn't score you had a point. If he had wanted to be more open in the play he would never have messed about Amond and Bogle with people like Tomlinson like he did. His problem was that he couldn't come up with any other way to defend without his strikers running themselves legless but he couldn't get the team to play to the strikers to win games either.

So the easier way out is 4-4-2, hard running strikers, defensive midfield, wingers cover full backs, long ball out, fight for the second ball, play from there. Easy to play, easy to stop too.

His other problem was that tactically, i.e. during games, he wasn't very inventive and his substitutions were less than inspiring.

I'm not 100% certain about MB yet, this window and another month or two of routine matches will let us know what his ideas are really like. I am just saying that so far those ideas and the ethos he has brought have gained us more points than the safety first would have done and the position of being able to look down on most of the league. Even when not playing well, the players look interested in getting the ball quickly and getting forward if they can. Better players will do that better.

It was Ginny that said PH wanted to play 4 - 3 - 3 I used to get really p1ssed off that we would line up against poor sides in a 4 - 4 -2 especially when at times we had no real quality on the flanks or that we could not go 3 at the back when sides would come to BP and put 1 up front.

I do agree endeavour will get you more points in theory and to be fair to Marcus I think he is learning that at this level you need a mix of that and pragmatism hence packing the mid field at Carlisle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 4:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It was Ginny that said PH wanted to play 4 - 3 - 3 I used to get really p1ssed off that we would line up against poor sides in a 4 - 4 -2 especially when at times we had no real quality on the flanks or that we could not go 3 at the back when sides would come to BP and put 1 up front.

I do agree endeavour will get you more points in theory and to be fair to Marcus I think he is learning that at this level you need a mix of that and pragmatism hence packing the mid field at Carlisle.

Did i ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 199
grimsby pete
January 8, 2017, 4:36pm

Exile
Quoted from Grimal
[quote=672]

Fully agree,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets hope he's going on to bigger things with us Pete, then the end of this sentence wouldn't apply.

That's what I meant Grimal he will get success with us then the big boys will come calling,

It did not work out with Buckley and he came back and had more success with us,

So maybe Sir Alan should have a word with Marcus when the time comes.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 4:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Did i ?

I think so....................Possibly in a thread about how PH threw the budget away or something similar, apologies in advance if not!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 4:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think so....................Possibly in a thread about how PH threw the budget away or something similar, apologies in advance if not!

No apologies necessary- not saying i didn't, just can't remember it.

All academic now anyway, it's onward with MB and whatever ride that brings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 4:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

No apologies necessary- not saying i didn't, just can't remember it.

All academic now anyway, it's onward with MB and whatever ride that brings.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
January 8, 2017, 6:31pm
Beer Drinker

I am talking about attitudes as much as anything. I don't doubt we would have got points, just that we would not have 36. The reason is that PH always had a percentage game mentality. It will serve him well with the position he has at Shrewsbury but as far as ambition for a club is concerned it is a handicap to send a side out with the thought that rule one is to defend.

There's no evidence as yet to suggest MB is any more attack-minded than Hurst. At the moment we are playing 3 centre backs, our orthodox wingers have been dropped in favour of our full-backs playing as wing-backs, and all 3 central midfielders are holding midfielders! So our line-up has (including the keeper) 9 players who are naturally defence-minded.

However the system is working and we are obviously creating chances, but let's not confuse Marcus's bubbly personality as being proof of an attack-minded manager. Now it may well turn out that with the players he acquires over time we will see more creativity in midfield - and I feel sure that will be the case, but for now we can only judge on what we've seen to date.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 199
Mariner_09
January 8, 2017, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
However, I would like to see us setup 4-4-2 next week at home, Bolarinwa and Vose wide with Comley and Dis in the middle and Adi and Omar up top.

Private Message
Reply: 175 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 6:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

There's no evidence as yet to suggest MB is any more attack-minded than Hurst. At the moment we are playing 3 centre backs, our orthodox wingers have been dropped in favour of our full-backs playing as wing-backs, and all 3 central midfielders are holding midfielders! So our line-up has (including the keeper) 9 players who are naturally defence-minded.

However the system is working and we are obviously creating chances, but let's not confuse Marcus's bubbly personality as being proof of an attack-minded manager. Now it may well turn out that with the players he acquires over time we will see more creativity in midfield - and I feel sure that will be the case, but for now we can only judge on what we've seen to date.

A fair assessment and i agree. Chambers is injured, Browne is out of the picture for now, Bolarinwa is too hit and miss, which is why we end up with a mix of Jackson, Berrett and Vose on the wings, none of whom can get behind teams. I think MB has gone this route for now, as Davies and Andrew are better getting forward and getting crosses in than  the other options. I expect this to change over time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2017, 7:35pm
Special Brew Drinker

You are quoting me out of context. If you read the other posts I made you will see your points are pretty well covered.

Private Message
Reply: 177 - 199
moosey_club
January 8, 2017, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
I dont think the football is any easier on the eye as yet, MB talked about excitment, high pressing, flying wingers, early subs if it isnt working, etc etc....apart from his first home game his in play tactical subs are largely as late or later than the Hurst 70 minute specials....i havnt witnessed any sustained periods of the above either but in the last couple of games i think the signs are there that he is starting to understand his squad and how to utilise it, which with a couple of decent new signings to compliment what we have then hopefully we can only look up.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 199
lukeo
January 8, 2017, 11:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
why would you want to change the formation? if it doesn't need fixing don't try fix it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 199
Tommy
January 9, 2017, 9:31am
Season Ticket Holder
The key quotes from Bignot from Saturday post-match is this:

"Overall we were disappointing, in terms of on the ball. We can be better and we want to be better. I'm not going to get frustrated with that, though, because we know where we are as a group.

"We are trying to be busy so we can try and help this group, but in the mean-time we can't go away from what we are good at."

In other words he knows we don't have the style of players in certain areas to play how he wants us to eventually play, so we've been sticking a bit more to the Hurst style (because that's what the squad was built for) until he can bring in a few players to help us transition to a team that dominates games and possession a bit more.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 199
Rik e B
January 9, 2017, 12:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I'm convinced we steadily progressing in right direction even if clearly not completely the Bignot way -yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 199
acko338
January 9, 2017, 12:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
3 5 2 seems to be the resolution to having dominant players until January signings are complete.

I am happy that Comley and Disley have both got back into the side as they seem to be working well together with the overlapping full backs, however cover needs to be sorted so that the 3 centre halves don't get pulled out of position too easily on to the wing positions.

It would be good if Ben Davies and Zak Mills could form a partnership on the right flank to interchange during attacks. both have natural attacking tendencies but one always needs to aware of covering the other.

I'm sure that now the first week of the transfer window has gone, we will have round 2 of rumours and disapproval that we haven't immediately signed all of our prime targets - not always that easy - Bogle being the major example of patience.

If Town can stumble through hard earned victories for the rest of this month, it may be a stepping stone towards Bignot's master plan and we will see how many will be leaving as well as coming in.

Certainly expectant times ahead for all ! Entertainment and results on the field - now that would be good to watch !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 199
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2017, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
However, I would like to see us setup 4-4-2 next week at home, Bolarinwa and Vose wide with Comley and Dis in the middle and Adi and Omar up top.

Point 1. We've just won 2 games playing 3-5-2 so why would you change it?

Point 2. Vose is not and never will be a winger nor will he ever provide sufficient cover to allow Andrew to overlap.
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 199
1mickylyons
January 9, 2017, 1:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Point 1. We've just won 2 games playing 3-5-2 so why would you change it?

Point 2. Vose is not and never will be a winger nor will he ever provide sufficient cover to allow Andrew to overlap.

WHS

I really like Vose the sort of player you don't mind paying too watch when he is on his game these days they are described as luxury players or classic no10.I would play him at home against sides I thought we would dominate or last 20 mins if we needed a goal but other than that I would play the more hard working track back type of wideman or solidify my centre mid Vose is neither.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 199
ginnywings
January 9, 2017, 1:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I think Mariner_09 plays a lot of football manager.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 9, 2017, 1:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from acko338
3 5 2 seems to be the resolution to having dominant players until January signings are complete.

I am happy that Comley and Disley have both got back into the side as they seem to be working well together with the overlapping full backs, however cover needs to be sorted so that the 3 centre halves don't get pulled out of position too easily on to the wing positions.

It would be good if Ben Davies and Zak Mills could form a partnership on the right flank to interchange during attacks. both have natural attacking tendencies but one always needs to aware of covering the other.

I'm sure that now the first week of the transfer window has gone, we will have round 2 of rumours and disapproval that we haven't immediately signed all of our prime targets - not always that easy - Bogle being the major example of patience.

If Town can stumble through hard earned victories for the rest of this month, it may be a stepping stone towards Bignot's master plan and we will see how many will be leaving as well as coming in.

Certainly expectant times ahead for all ! Entertainment and results on the field - now that would be good to watch !

Good call, I think Marcus did try from the off and a good example of that was Crawley where we started with and open shape. I actually think we will see 3 at the back and a loaded mid field for a few games into Feb so he can integrate anyone new and keep the positive results coming until safety.

If we are safe by the end of Feb we could see some really good stuff after that, personnel permitting.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
January 9, 2017, 6:21pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think Mariner_09 plays a lot of football manager.  

Bit like Cod Almighty - they've always been known for banging on about the need to play 4-4-2, especially during Hurst's reign when he was often slapped down for experimenting with more 'modern' systems. Lately, however, they've gone strangely quiet on the subject.

The truth is, 4-4-2 was invented by Alf Ramsey in 1966, so it would be a bit odd if football hadn't evolved at all with formations and tactics during the last 50 years!!

Of course, now we see it all the time, with almost every team trying (and succeeding) with a different way of playing the game to what most of us in this country were brought up with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 199
Teestogreen
January 9, 2017, 8:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -160
For me, the important thing is, I am convinced that MB knows what he is doing, and so do the players.
How this evolves is potentially exciting, but getting the defence tight with fast counter attack should ensure survival in this division (glass half empty).

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2017, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker

Bit like Cod Almighty - they've always been known for banging on about the need to play 4-4-2, especially during Hurst's reign when he was often slapped down for experimenting with more 'modern' systems. Lately, however, they've gone strangely quiet on the subject.

The truth is, 4-4-2 was invented by Alf Ramsey in 1966, so it would be a bit odd if football hadn't evolved at all with formations and tactics during the last 50 years!!

Of course, now we see it all the time, with almost every team trying (and succeeding) with a different way of playing the game to what most of us in this country were brought up with.

Actually, to be pedantic, Alf really invented 4-2-4 because his first sides in the mid 60s had Bobby Robson & Johnny Haynes in centre midfield with a mixture of wingers including Bobby Charlton, John Connelly, Bryan Douglas and others. It was this formation with which they hammered Spain away. It wasn't until later when Robson and Haynes were badly injured that Charlton came into the middle with Stiles. Even then it was more like a 4-3-3 because John Connelly was still a regular on the wing. Only right at the last minute did England become wingless wonders with Ball and Peters and use what we now think of as 4-4-2.

Lots of teams are playing about with different formations but I still think managers have to look at the players and decide who could fit in  a new system and who doesn't. When Wenger went to Arsenal he left George Graham's 4-4-2 alone for a season or so and only gradually brought in players like Berkhamp and Vierra. The Tony Adams back four carried on for quite a while.

So MB is doing a gradual change which is sensible until he has a squad capable of playing his ideal way.

Private Message
Reply: 189 - 199
forza ivano
January 9, 2017, 10:14pm

Exile
Just a thought . Interested to read about double training and classroom sessions plus that he is looking at a lot of non league players. I wonder if the two are connected I.e. That non league players getting their big chance as a pro are going to take this on board whereas your run of the mill lower league pro may be a bit more resistant to all the extra work. Remember your non league pro is holding down a job, training twice a week plus lots of long distance travel to matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 199
fleabag1970
January 14, 2017, 8:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Hi Guys , hope you are all well .......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 199
mariner91
January 14, 2017, 8:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Your first post since the 11th of December. Weird that. Bore off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 199
fleabag1970
January 14, 2017, 8:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
orrr  im sorry for saying hello ............  hope you enjoyed the game

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 199
fleabag1970
January 14, 2017, 8:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
cant believe you even checked when my last post was   and you call me boring ???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 199
Hagrid
January 14, 2017, 8:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
You do have a habit of not posting when we are winning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 199
mariner91
January 14, 2017, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970
cant believe you even checked when my last post was   and you call me boring ???

Yeah you lead a very sad and lonely life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 199
ginnywings
January 14, 2017, 9:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Can't be a Town fan is my thinking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 199
Ipswin
January 15, 2017, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Teestogreen
For me, the important thing is, I am convinced that MB knows what he is doing, and so do the players.
How this evolves is potentially exciting, but getting the defence tight with fast counter attack should ensure survival in this division (glass half empty).

Bignot is out of his depth - one division too far I'm afraid.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 199
Mariner Ronnie
January 15, 2017, 10:19am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Ipswin

Bignot is out of his depth - one division too far I'm afraid.

You've evaluated that out of how many games watched under Bignot may I ask?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 199
20 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.