Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 117 Guests

ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED

This thread currently has 29,636 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimal
January 8, 2017, 12:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
[quote=672]

Fully agree,

All the years Hurst was here I sat on the fence about him,

Sometimes thinking he will make it sometimes thinking he does not have a clue,

With Marcus I am fully behind him and think he will be fantastic for us and go on to bigger things,

Hopefully not for a while yet,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets hope he's going on to bigger things with us Pete, then the end of this sentence wouldn't apply.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 12:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I cannot imagine we would have 36 points and be in the position we are if we had not had a change of manager. Even accepting the fact we were eventually promoted I still think PH got a lot more from GTFC than the club got from employing PH for 5 years.

It may be that we are still in the honeymoon period but I doubt it now. You don't stand still in football, you go up or you go down. Ambition is infectious and you can feel that people have a much more positive atmosphere than it did in September when the Fishy was in "we'll be satisfied if we stay up" mood. The team go out with the idea of getting the 3 points instead of just stopping the other lot from winning. It means a lot, it energises the supporters and MB realises that.

The play offs are within reach. Depending on the January transfers that is a realistic ambition and we should go all out to do it. Then who knows? We know they are a lottery but if you don't buy a ticket you can't win.

How can you specifically back up what is in bold above?  What's the point at having a pop at Hurst?

We are where we wanted to be, PH had a big hand in that, he may have got a move on the back of us getting promoted but many managers do (Laurie Mac, John Newman, Alan Buckley all did), that's football. I find it odd that people start posts by having a pop at someone who did what he was paid to do and cannot defend himself, though the fact the manager helped get is up should be his defence.

You are completely right you should not stand still in football and alongside that there is no point in looking back either. Absolutely the time to focus on the present and the future and who knows even further success?

BTW in September we took a stack of fans to Notts County, won at Mansfield and Luton and got 10 points from 15 it looks like Jan 17 will be better but Sept was possibly our most solid month to date in terms of results..  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
January 8, 2017, 12:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
A real good feeling about things now as the players finally seem to understand what Marcus wants from them.

I was concerned about the performances a few weeks ago as our midfield players seemed to be like tailor's dummies watching the world go by and seemingly unable to pass the ball. But this 3-5-2 system with a change in personnel, is one the players look comfortable with - even if Marcus may have possibly stumbled upon it by accident!

It's also good to see some really strong performances now from the likes of Henderson, Davies, Andrew, Mills, Comley and Bogle (co-incidentally all Hurst signings - yes the man really did have an eye for talent and we should always acknowledge that).

Come on Town - a big push now for promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 12:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
When Conte changed Chelsea to 3-5-2, they won 13 on the trot. Here's hoping.

I also don't Think RRFC is having a pop at PH, more stating his opinion, which is what most comments are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2017, 1:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How can you specifically back up what is in bold above?  What's the point at having a pop at Hurst?

We are where we wanted to be, PH had a big hand in that, he may have got a move on the back of us getting promoted but many managers do (Laurie Mac, John Newman, Alan Buckley all did), that's football. I find it odd that people start posts by having a pop at someone who did what he was paid to do and cannot defend himself, though the fact the manager helped get is up should be his defence.

You are completely right you should not stand still in football and alongside that there is no point in looking back either. Absolutely the time to focus on the present and the future and who knows even further success?

BTW in September we took a stack of fans to Notts County, won at Mansfield and Luton and got 10 points from 15 it looks like Jan 17 will be better but Sept was possibly our most solid month to date in terms of results..  

I am talking about attitudes as much as anything. I don't doubt we would have got points, just that we would not have 36. The reason is that PH always had a percentage game mentality. It will serve him well with the position he has at Shrewsbury but as far as ambition for a club is concerned it is a handicap to send a side out with the thought that rule one is to defend. I still think that is why it took him so long to get us up. The aim is to get the most points. You can go undefeated for 12 games and only get 12 points or you can win 6 and lose 6 and get 18 points. No-one is daft enough to do the latter but PH would always seem happy to take the draw.

It is everyone's right to comment on previous managers, alive or dead, as they think fit with their opinion. I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 199
Mrs Doyle
January 8, 2017, 1:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
" I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway."

I didn't think that until he cupped his ear at Wembley in a two fingered salute to the town faithful. I know there was a lot of pressure on him to deliver but not everybody slagged him off. I felt after that Halifax game and all that went on a few seemed destined to leave some rather hastily.

However a new chapter was always on the cards and the break from the past was badly needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 1:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I am talking about attitudes as much as anything. I don't doubt we would have got points, just that we would not have 36. The reason is that PH always had a percentage game mentality. It will serve him well with the position he has at Shrewsbury but as far as ambition for a club is concerned it is a handicap to send a side out with the thought that rule one is to defend. I still think that is why it took him so long to get us up. The aim is to get the most points. You can go undefeated for 12 games and only get 12 points or you can win 6 and lose 6 and get 18 points. No-one is daft enough to do the latter but PH would always seem happy to take the draw.

It is everyone's right to comment on previous managers, alive or dead, as they think fit with their opinion. I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway.

Fair enough! But don't you think that "percentage game mentality" led to one of the best away records in the history of the club? All be it in a tin pot league? Also conceding 1 goal in open play since November 28th would suggest that the "rule 1" theory is something that is serving us well at the moment?

Funny how history works I reckon someone said to me recently that PH is one of only 5 managers to get us promoted in the last 50 years.

Anyway the future is looking rosy I reckon     

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
" I doubt PH is much interested in what anyone thinks anyway."

I didn't think that until he cupped his ear at Wembley in a two fingered salute to the town faithful. I know there was a lot of pressure on him to deliver but not everybody slagged him off. I felt after that Halifax game and all that went on a few seemed destined to leave.

he did cop for a lot at Halifax, I have been going to games since 1978 and I have never heard anything like that, then again the "spoilt" comment was possibly not his best piece of media work.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 199
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 1:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Fair enough! But don't you think that "percentage game mentality" led to one of the best away records in the history of the club? All be it in a tin pot league? Also conceding 1 goal in open play since November 28th would suggest that the "rule 1" theory is something that is serving us well at the moment?

Funny how history works I reckon someone said to me recently that PH is one of only 5 managers to get us promoted in the last 50 years.

Anyway the future is looking rosy I reckon     

There are different approaches to "rule 1" though. The Hurst way is to keep us shape and play tight and efficient football. The MB way is to keep the ball away from the opposition and play further up the pitch.

In essence, it's either attack is the best form of defence, or defence is the best form of defence. I'd rather we lost trying to win than set out for a point and anything else is a bonus mentality. As RRFC points out, losing games is no big deal if you win a fair few as well. Draws are no good to no-one long term. They just leave you in a safe no mans land.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 199
KingstonMariner
January 8, 2017, 1:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

There are different approaches to "rule 1" though. The Hurst way is to keep us shape and play tight and efficient football. The MB way is to keep the ball away from the opposition and play further up the pitch.

In essence, it's either attack is the best form of defence, or defence is the best form of defence. I'd rather we lost trying to win than set out for a point and anything else is a bonus mentality. As RRFC points out, losing games is no big deal if you win a fair few as well. Draws are no good to no-one long term. They just leave you in a safe no mans land.

Not a phrase I ever expected to read.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 199
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.