Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 161 Guests

ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED

This thread currently has 29,644 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
December 12, 2016, 2:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Without the ball on Saturday we were OK. Yes, Portsmouth had a lot of possession in midfield and sometimes in wide areas. But we were a compact unit where it matters in the middle. This resulted in them creating no real clearcut chances. You'd have to accept having less possession when playing a team like Portsmouth who have a better standard of player throughout their side.

With the ball is what let us down. If you're not going to have much possession in a game then when you have it, you've either got to keep it for a bit, or break quickly to exploit defensive disorganisation. Sloppy simple passes and poor touches when running with the ball meant we were surrendering possession within a few seconds. Even when we weren't hounded by the impressively quick and intense Portsmouth press.

I disagree with people saying the formation left Bogle isolated. It didn't. What left Bogle isolated was that we didn't keep the ball long enough to give the attacking players time to get higher up the pitch before we lost it again. And then Bogle, perhaps being allowed too much freedom to wander where he wants, was dropping far too deep and far too wide so that when we won it in midfield, we didn't have an option for a forward pass into a striker. OB needs to play between the width of the penalty area.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 12, 2016, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Tommy
Without the ball on Saturday we were OK. Yes, Portsmouth had a lot of possession in midfield and sometimes in wide areas. But we were a compact unit where it matters in the middle. This resulted in them creating no real clearcut chances. You'd have to accept having less possession when playing a team like Portsmouth who have a better standard of player throughout their side.

With the ball is what let us down. If you're not going to have much possession in a game then when you have it, you've either got to keep it for a bit, or break quickly to exploit defensive disorganisation. Sloppy simple passes and poor touches when running with the ball meant we were surrendering possession within a few seconds. Even when we weren't hounded by the impressively quick and intense Portsmouth press.

I disagree with people saying the formation left Bogle isolated. It didn't. What left Bogle isolated was that we didn't keep the ball long enough to give the attacking players time to get higher up the pitch before we lost it again. And then Bogle, perhaps being allowed too much freedom to wander where he wants, was dropping far too deep and far too wide so that when we won it in midfield, we didn't have an option for a forward pass into a striker. OB needs to play between the width of the penalty area.

Exactly what I said on Saturday plus he seemed to be in one of his 'Why me?' moods - he seems to make a run then stop and wait for the ball to come and when it doesn't he sulks.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 199
ginnywings
December 12, 2016, 5:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy

someone posted that the player had suggested he would be available for the end of this month? I assume the Blackpool/Carlisle game?

'Twas me. My nephew asked him on Saturday when he would be fit to play and he said 2 weeks. Of course, he will need to get back up to speed with some game time, so doubt he will be playing 90 mins from the off.

As for the comment about MB changing too much too soon, i don't agree with that. Why wait? Give the players the chance to adapt to the new regime and if they can't, then Jan is the time for changes. I think some are losing site of the fact that we have had a tough run of games. We won't be playing that standard of opposition every week.

I agreed with MB's assessment after the game about too many back passes and sideways passes. He said they are negative and boring and he clearly wants the players to be more forward thinking and not take the easy option. If they can't adapt, then find players that can. He was clearly exasperated, as was i, that Tombola decided to play a cross field pass, very poorly as it happens, when we were breaking on the wing. I'm still trying to fathom what he was thinking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 199
MuddyWaters
December 12, 2016, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

'Twas me. My nephew asked him on Saturday when he would be fit to play and he said 2 weeks. Of course, he will need to get back up to speed with some game time, so doubt he will be playing 90 mins from the off.

As for the comment about MB changing too much too soon, i don't agree with that. Why wait? Give the players the chance to adapt to the new regime and if they can't, then Jan is the time for changes. I think some are losing site of the fact that we have had a tough run of games. We won't be playing that standard of opposition every week.

I agreed with MB's assessment after the game about too many back passes and sideways passes. He said they are negative and boring and he clearly wants the players to be more forward thinking and not take the easy option. If they can't adapt, then find players that can. He was clearly exasperated, as was i, that Tombola decided to play a cross field pass, very poorly as it happens, when we were breaking on the wing. I'm still trying to fathom what he was thinking.

He clearly wants to play progressive football - I think two out of the three centre mids were trying to play the ball forward on Saturday but Portsmouth's pressing and the poor movement in front made it difficult for them to do so. More and more, I think we should praise Pompey's abilities as opposed to berating our own inability to deliver what the manager clearly wants us to do.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 199
HertsGTFC
December 12, 2016, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

My counter argument to that Ginny is come through a tough run of games with a few points & clean sheets then go into the easier games winning and secure your safety earlier, then tamper. As it stands we potentially will come through this run with a small points haul which will add pressure to games that we should win.

If our boss changed most of your daily routine whilst extending your working hours with additional "theory" and also the style in the way you worked and asked you to work quicker with a heavier workload than before could you do that? I am not sure I could.

Marcus is a really good guy everybody can see that and he will see us through but he just for a while at least needs to stop talking about us being a good footballing side as we (those that where around in the 70s/80s/90s if not before ) all know what that looks like and we have a fair way to go before we fall into that category...................Though we are capable of it if we build at the right pace.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 199
dapperz fun pub
December 13, 2016, 10:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,026
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from grimsby pete

A lot of people said Dave Boylen was not big enough when we first got him,

How wrong was they ?  

Exactly Pete if you don't give them a go the question will remain unanswered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 199
lew chaterleys lover
December 13, 2016, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from realist
I am probably one of the most negative posters on here, but at the moment I am still full of optimism and hope.   I think we have a manager that really wants us to play attractive attacking football, but has been hampered with the quality of players he has inherited. I never agreed with all the happy clappers comments that Hurst could find a good player.
Lets all stick together and at least give MB the chance to get in a few of his own players and see what happens then.
After 4 years of Hurst and I wanted him out there was a strong contingent on here that wanted to give him more time. After 4 games you are giving MB a hard time. Give over.

We have the best squad of players we have had in years, and Hurst found them all.

When we played Cambridge away we were excellent in all areas. That week the news broke about Hurst possibly leaving and bar the Plymouth game we haven't got the results we hoped for.

There are lots of reasons for that, mainly I assume about players getting used to new ideas from a new manager but, I dont think there was a lot wrong before.If he has tried to get his ideas over too quickly then that has been a mistake.

I heard the managers interview after the game and it was the polar opposite of what Hurst would say, but I thought it was a bit rambling and he seems to be trying a bit too hard to become "one of us".

He may be able to build a team full of attacking intent, on the budget he will be given, and it will be great if he does obviously, but I think we need to tread carefully. We dont want to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak.

Those players who have been excellent earlier in the season had stinkers on Saturday; it could be that Portsmouth were a division above in quality, but I also think some players might not have bought into Bignots methods yet.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 199
forza ivano
December 13, 2016, 11:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,270
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC

My counter argument to that Ginny is come through a tough run of games with a few points & clean sheets then go into the easier games winning and secure your safety earlier, then tamper. As it stands we potentially will come through this run with a small points haul which will add pressure to games that we should win.

If our boss changed most of your daily routine whilst extending your working hours with additional "theory" and also the style in the way you worked and asked you to work quicker with a heavier workload than before could you do that? I am not sure I could.

Marcus is a really good guy everybody can see that and he will see us through but he just for a while at least needs to stop talking about us being a good footballing side as we (those that where around in the 70s/80s/90s if not before ) all know what that looks like and we have a fair way to go before we fall into that category...................Though we are capable of it if we build at the right pace.

lot of sense in there herts

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 199
grimsby pete
December 13, 2016, 11:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
If we can manage a win and a draw from our next 2 games (should be possible )

That will take us to halfway through the season with 30 points,

Which means we only need another 20 points to be safe,

So no need to panic a mid table finish is ok by me this season,

Let Marcus start next season with a few new signings and see where we go from then.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 199
Paris Mariner
December 13, 2016, 12:25pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Jesus, we're are an impatient bunch. How many games has Bignot had in charge?! It's League 2 and he's unable to bring in any real new signings until January at the earliest and it's not like we can afford anything like a new squad overhaul even if we needed one.

We're sat 12th in League 2, having just come up, a mere four points off the play-offs. No we haven't been convincing of late but we've player Carlisle (lost one all year) Plymouth (top) and Pompey (4th) in 3 of the last four games. From the nine points available in those games we've brought home 4. It's more than I was expecting!

The Crawley defeat may have been disappointing but most of the squad retained are playing at this level for the first time and probably still finding their feet. We should be focusing on making a great atmosphere (for those going) at Donny away and supporting the team to the fullest home and away, trusting our new manager to do his job.

A coach can't implement his style or system 8 matches into his tenure. Ask Guardiola.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 129 - 199
20 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.