Tommy
January 9, 2017, 9:31am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
The key quotes from Bignot from Saturday post-match is this:

"Overall we were disappointing, in terms of on the ball. We can be better and we want to be better. I'm not going to get frustrated with that, though, because we know where we are as a group.

"We are trying to be busy so we can try and help this group, but in the mean-time we can't go away from what we are good at."

In other words he knows we don't have the style of players in certain areas to play how he wants us to eventually play, so we've been sticking a bit more to the Hurst style (because that's what the squad was built for) until he can bring in a few players to help us transition to a team that dominates games and possession a bit more.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 199
Rik e B
January 9, 2017, 12:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I'm convinced we steadily progressing in right direction even if clearly not completely the Bignot way -yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 199
acko338
January 9, 2017, 12:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
3 5 2 seems to be the resolution to having dominant players until January signings are complete.

I am happy that Comley and Disley have both got back into the side as they seem to be working well together with the overlapping full backs, however cover needs to be sorted so that the 3 centre halves don't get pulled out of position too easily on to the wing positions.

It would be good if Ben Davies and Zak Mills could form a partnership on the right flank to interchange during attacks. both have natural attacking tendencies but one always needs to aware of covering the other.

I'm sure that now the first week of the transfer window has gone, we will have round 2 of rumours and disapproval that we haven't immediately signed all of our prime targets - not always that easy - Bogle being the major example of patience.

If Town can stumble through hard earned victories for the rest of this month, it may be a stepping stone towards Bignot's master plan and we will see how many will be leaving as well as coming in.

Certainly expectant times ahead for all ! Entertainment and results on the field - now that would be good to watch !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 199
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2017, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09
However, I would like to see us setup 4-4-2 next week at home, Bolarinwa and Vose wide with Comley and Dis in the middle and Adi and Omar up top.

Point 1. We've just won 2 games playing 3-5-2 so why would you change it?

Point 2. Vose is not and never will be a winger nor will he ever provide sufficient cover to allow Andrew to overlap.
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 199
1mickylyons
January 9, 2017, 1:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Point 1. We've just won 2 games playing 3-5-2 so why would you change it?

Point 2. Vose is not and never will be a winger nor will he ever provide sufficient cover to allow Andrew to overlap.

WHS

I really like Vose the sort of player you don't mind paying too watch when he is on his game these days they are described as luxury players or classic no10.I would play him at home against sides I thought we would dominate or last 20 mins if we needed a goal but other than that I would play the more hard working track back type of wideman or solidify my centre mid Vose is neither.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 199
ginnywings
January 9, 2017, 1:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I think Mariner_09 plays a lot of football manager.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 9, 2017, 1:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from acko338
3 5 2 seems to be the resolution to having dominant players until January signings are complete.

I am happy that Comley and Disley have both got back into the side as they seem to be working well together with the overlapping full backs, however cover needs to be sorted so that the 3 centre halves don't get pulled out of position too easily on to the wing positions.

It would be good if Ben Davies and Zak Mills could form a partnership on the right flank to interchange during attacks. both have natural attacking tendencies but one always needs to aware of covering the other.

I'm sure that now the first week of the transfer window has gone, we will have round 2 of rumours and disapproval that we haven't immediately signed all of our prime targets - not always that easy - Bogle being the major example of patience.

If Town can stumble through hard earned victories for the rest of this month, it may be a stepping stone towards Bignot's master plan and we will see how many will be leaving as well as coming in.

Certainly expectant times ahead for all ! Entertainment and results on the field - now that would be good to watch !

Good call, I think Marcus did try from the off and a good example of that was Crawley where we started with and open shape. I actually think we will see 3 at the back and a loaded mid field for a few games into Feb so he can integrate anyone new and keep the positive results coming until safety.

If we are safe by the end of Feb we could see some really good stuff after that, personnel permitting.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
January 9, 2017, 6:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
I think Mariner_09 plays a lot of football manager.  

Bit like Cod Almighty - they've always been known for banging on about the need to play 4-4-2, especially during Hurst's reign when he was often slapped down for experimenting with more 'modern' systems. Lately, however, they've gone strangely quiet on the subject.

The truth is, 4-4-2 was invented by Alf Ramsey in 1966, so it would be a bit odd if football hadn't evolved at all with formations and tactics during the last 50 years!!

Of course, now we see it all the time, with almost every team trying (and succeeding) with a different way of playing the game to what most of us in this country were brought up with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 199
Teestogreen
January 9, 2017, 8:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -160
Gold Stars: 23
For me, the important thing is, I am convinced that MB knows what he is doing, and so do the players.
How this evolves is potentially exciting, but getting the defence tight with fast counter attack should ensure survival in this division (glass half empty).

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2017, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

Bit like Cod Almighty - they've always been known for banging on about the need to play 4-4-2, especially during Hurst's reign when he was often slapped down for experimenting with more 'modern' systems. Lately, however, they've gone strangely quiet on the subject.

The truth is, 4-4-2 was invented by Alf Ramsey in 1966, so it would be a bit odd if football hadn't evolved at all with formations and tactics during the last 50 years!!

Of course, now we see it all the time, with almost every team trying (and succeeding) with a different way of playing the game to what most of us in this country were brought up with.

Actually, to be pedantic, Alf really invented 4-2-4 because his first sides in the mid 60s had Bobby Robson & Johnny Haynes in centre midfield with a mixture of wingers including Bobby Charlton, John Connelly, Bryan Douglas and others. It was this formation with which they hammered Spain away. It wasn't until later when Robson and Haynes were badly injured that Charlton came into the middle with Stiles. Even then it was more like a 4-3-3 because John Connelly was still a regular on the wing. Only right at the last minute did England become wingless wonders with Ball and Peters and use what we now think of as 4-4-2.

Lots of teams are playing about with different formations but I still think managers have to look at the players and decide who could fit in  a new system and who doesn't. When Wenger went to Arsenal he left George Graham's 4-4-2 alone for a season or so and only gradually brought in players like Berkhamp and Vierra. The Tony Adams back four carried on for quite a while.

So MB is doing a gradual change which is sensible until he has a squad capable of playing his ideal way.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 199
20 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ANY ONE ELSE NOT CONVINCED

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.