Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 48,354 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Next All Recommend Thread
AncientExiledMariner
January 29, 2024, 1:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.33
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Maringer
I'm far from impressed with Hunt, given his propensity to needlessly give the ball away multiple times a game. However, after that midfield performance on Saturday, I'd throw him in there as I don't think he could do any worse than the players who were selected on the day!

The point is, he was brought in under Hurst and was a starter in the Foxhunt midifield. He managed to change the mind of Hurst despite doing ok on match day. Artell was glowing in his praise of him, and Hunt has managed to change his mind without doing much wrong on the pitch.

I can only conclude, and this is purely speculation (as I have no idea), that he isn't applying himself in training. If that is true, and you have a player that works 1 day a week match day, then phones it in in training most day (which we don't see), do you reward them by putting them on the pitch? What does that say to every single squad player there and ever young player? "if you have talent, you can half behind it and get in the match squad because we have no other option". Will that really create a team of players working their balderdash off to get in the starting 11, and dedicate themselves to taking on what's being explained to them?

I really hope I'm wrong, and I hope he has a good career here or elsewhere, but as time goes it, it's becoming clear to me that he is not and will not ever be consistently good enough to justify a spot in our team without something changing significantly. He's on a wage and we need people pulling in the same direction. If he ain't, we can put those wages elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 260 - 556
Heisenberg
January 29, 2024, 1:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,124
Gold Stars: 98
Hunt should play every game. A successful performance rate of 1-in-3 will keep us up. Right now, we are completely lacking his skill levels.

Unpredictability is better than knowing beforehand that you’re gonna lose because the team is missing any guile. Hunt can give us that extra. Not every game, but more often than never. That might just be good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 261 - 556
AncientExiledMariner
January 29, 2024, 1:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.33
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Heisenberg
Hunt should play every game. A successful performance rate of 1-in-3 will keep us up. Right now, we are completely lacking his skill levels.

Unpredictability is better than knowing beforehand that you’re gonna lose because the team is missing any guile. Hunt can give us that extra. Not every game, but more often than never. That might just be good enough.

The problem is taking that 33%, and then everyone else drops their level in training because no one really has to try anymore to get in the team. You might be losing 10% from everyone else. You ever had a job where you work your balderdash off and someone sucks up to the boss, half asses it and gets promotions and opportunities? In those situations, does it motivate you to work harder knowing that no matter what you put in, the deck is stacked against you and it isn't going to pay off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 262 - 556
Son of Cod
January 29, 2024, 1:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,358
Gold Stars: 198

The problem is taking that 33%, and then everyone else drops their level in training because no one really has to try anymore to get in the team. You might be losing 10% from everyone else.

Remind me again, what's 10% of zero effort?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 263 - 556
1mickylyons
January 29, 2024, 2:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,441
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
So to summarise this thread we are excrement because:
We have the wrong players for the system
Some players have had a paddy
Data
Artell is a fraud
Glennon/Efete/Rodgers/Amos

Have I missed anything?

Yeah it's all Hursts fault
Fenty
Itv digital
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 264 - 556
marinerjase
January 29, 2024, 2:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,717
Gold Stars: 157
And the scotch eggs.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 265 - 556
Mappers
January 29, 2024, 2:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.37
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,656
Gold Stars: 122

The point is, he was brought in under Hurst and was a starter in the Foxhunt midifield. He managed to change the mind of Hurst despite doing ok on match day. Artell was glowing in his praise of him, and Hunt has managed to change his mind without doing much wrong on the pitch.

I can only conclude, and this is purely speculation (as I have no idea), that he isn't applying himself in training. If that is true, and you have a player that works 1 day a week match day, then phones it in in training most day (which we don't see), do you reward them by putting them on the pitch? What does that say to every single squad player there and ever young player? "if you have talent, you can half behind it and get in the match squad because we have no other option". Will that really create a team of players working their balderdash off to get in the starting 11, and dedicate themselves to taking on what's being explained to them?

I really hope I'm wrong, and I hope he has a good career here or elsewhere, but as time goes it, it's becoming clear to me that he is not and will not ever be consistently good enough to justify a spot in our team without something changing significantly. He's on a wage and we need people pulling in the same direction. If he ain't, we can put those wages elsewhere.

I feel like to Hunt have any chance he needed Conteh (or a conteh type ) to give him the ball in better areas than receiving it in front of the back 4 . let's be a little bit balanced - his performance at MK dons playing between the lines was superb , and one piece of skill that took  two of their men out the game was light years ahead of anyone on the pitch or at this level .

It's a shame he doesn't seem to be able to do that or get in the game against the more physical teams as it just seems he's too small and lightweight to influence against the bigger units in league 2 and gives the ball away in bad areas under pressure when teams press him hard .

There's a player there but if what's said is true and Artell doesn't fancy him it's even more telling than Hurst not playing him as he's one of the few you can count on 1 hand that's an 'Artell type' player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 266 - 556
ginnywings
January 29, 2024, 2:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Whatever the situation is with Hunt, I hope he only missed out on Saturday through injury, because if those two inexperienced and largely ineffective pair were picked ahead of him on merit, then we are in deep sh1t. How we ended up with two loan players with a handful of league games between them as the heart of our midfield is criminal at this stage of the season. No-one in midfield was showing for the ball and Tranmere pinned us in all game, with no player having the skill or nous to receive the ball under pressure. Hunt would have done a far better job of it than either of those two did.

I've been fairly laid back about our league position until Saturday, but that was worryingly reminiscent of some dark days under Newell and Slade to name just two of the crap managers we have had in recent times.

We need some experience and league nous in there, but I'm looking at the squad and not seeing much. Even Holohan hasn't got that many league games to his credit. Neither has Hunt to be fair, but Wood and Andrews are babies in terms of league 2 football, and first team football in general.

Without checking, I reckon that Wood, Andrews, Green, Holahan and Hunt have less combined games in the league than Harry Clifton, and that is a scary thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 267 - 556
mike502
January 29, 2024, 3:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from ginnywings
Without checking, I reckon that Wood, Andrews, Green, Holahan and Hunt have less combined games in the league than Harry Clifton, and that is a scary thought.

You can't post something like that and not expect someone to check the numbers...

Assuming Wikipedia is correct and that I can add up, at the start of the season Harry had 145 league games under his belt, while the rest (Wood 11, Andrews 0, Green 33, Holohan 78, Hunt 42) had a combined 164. But it's close enough that I take your point!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 268 - 556
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 3:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,872
Gold Stars: 551
Fair bit of talk around that Hunt was told he's free to go.  Absolutely no idea if there's any truth in that at all.

But it would definitely raise some eyebrows if that was the case.  Impressed in Artell's first few games, to the point he was described as 'pivotal' going forward.  Wasn't alone in not doing anything against Harrogate, got injured as a sub in Mansfield defeat and then came on against Walsall when the game was already lost.

No issue with Artell, or any manager for that matter, making opinions on players and acting on poor performances.  But if Hunt's disappointing performance against Harrogate is the barometer for who is in his plans or not, then that's not a standard many are meeting at the minute.

Really hope it is that Hunt is just out with injury because that midfield made me feel ill on Saturday.  Comfortable with his tendency to give it away, because at least he can do something at the other end of the pitch.  Which is far better than giving it away regardless and offering nothing at the other end.
Private Message
Reply: 269 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.