17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Another shitshow from a manager well out of his depth. Was the wrong appointment and he’s taking us down. Could have been easily 6/7 had Stockport not resorted to game management.

We have two crucial games in the next week. We can’t afford to limp on with Artell for those.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bawmariner
February 10, 2024, 5:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from davmariner
Another shitshow from a manager well out of his depth. Was the wrong appointment and he’s taking us down. Could have been easily 6/7 had Stockport not resorted to game management.

We have two crucial games in the next week. We can’t afford to limp on with Artell for those.

Our season isn't going to be defined by losing 3-1 to the likely champions of the league. Defending was poor again but Stockport are a very good team. Going forward we had flashes of good play but as whole clearly not on Stockport's level. We are definitely starting to get into must win territory now and have to pick up a result on Tuesday.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 168
Hagrid
February 10, 2024, 5:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,431
Gold Stars: 535
Thinking its the wrong man at the wrong time. He is stubborn as intercourse and we have a defence who cant defend yet he insists on this playing from the back. Maher and Dodgers were horrific today.

Has artell improved us? No. Not at all

I didnt expect a win today, but i dont expect the same mistakes week in week out when we are still in need of points.

Credit Vernam for a good 2nd half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 168
RonMariner
February 10, 2024, 5:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
All you can say is that the result looks far better than we were expecting at half past three when another cricket score looked on that cards. So at least our goal difference wasn't hammered as badly as it might have been.

I guess we had the toughest fixture of the bottom five, so the fact that only Doncaster gained ground is one crumb of comfort.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 168
MarinerRob
February 10, 2024, 5:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Cartwright kicking the ball straight to a Stockport player for the first goal and with Town being asleep when Stockport took their free kick which led to their second goal did not help. Giving two 'soft' goals to the potential champions was not a good plan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 168
Madeleymariner
February 10, 2024, 5:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Hagrid
Thinking its the wrong man at the wrong time. He is stubborn as intercourse and we have a defence who cant defend yet he insists on this playing from the back. Maher and Dodgers were horrific today.

Has artell improved us? No. Not at all

I didnt expect a win today, but i dont expect the same mistakes week in week out when we are still in need of points.

Credit Vernam for a good 2nd half

Lucky Stockport sat back a bit 2nd half and just tried to get us on the break. 1st half all it took was a bit of a press and we fall to pieces again. Our keeper, defence and midfield are not clever enough to play Artells style.  Vernam needs to start next game, as has been best attacker on the pitch last 2 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 168
louth_in_the_south
February 10, 2024, 5:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
How about the players ignore the bolloc.ks instructions from our Pep and play to their strengths?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 168
rancido

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Quoted from MarinerRob
Cartwright kicking the ball straight to a Stockport player for the first goal and with Town being asleep when Stockport took their free kick which led to their second goal did not help. Giving two 'soft' goals to the potential champions was not a good plan.

I don't think it was the plan. We have been gifting the opposition soft goals all season , both under PH and DA. Some of them decision making by players this season has been beyond belief.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 168
LocalLadGTFC
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
I thought Artell had improved us, and I was one that thought we should persist with how we were playing. I'm now turning because what we're being served at home is nothing less of shambolic. He said he wants to turn BP into a fortress, well that fortress is made out of flipping cardboard because we're weak as urine at the back and the mentality of some of these players is just astonishing. Harvey Rodgers passed more balls to them and into the stands today than he did to a black and white shirt. I gave him credit last week for a good performance to go and follow it up with that, it's like he's afraid of the ball. Vernam and Rose should be the first names on the team sheet and I feel we need to change the way we set up. As much as I can't tolerate Kieran Green, at least he flipping runs. Holohan showed why Artell had him out the side, him and Clifton got battered worse than the fish at Papas today and that's saying something. Setup shop with Green and Thompson sat infront of the back four and let Arthur, Abo, Charles and Danny attack. Abo Eisa has scored 9 goals this season and I still don't think he's actually that good...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 168
LH
February 10, 2024, 5:30pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,529
Gold Stars: 173
Starting to think that the Crewe side he brought to BP a few years back might just have been playing a excrement Jolley? Town side. Worryingly though this is the brand of football the owners want us to be playing 😳.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 168
LocalLadGTFC
February 10, 2024, 5:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
One thing that really stuck out to me is one of the commentators, who I thought were very good btw said that you have to get the fans on board as well as sticking with a style of play. He said of all the years he's been following Stockport he always knew Grimsby as a blood and thunder team and that the fans got behind it and he saw none of it in that team. Couldn't of been more true, we've been starved of a very good team for nearly 20 years. All most of us want to see is a team that'll try and fight for the badge. It's why most of us love Danny Rose, it's why we loved John Mcatee and it's why we loved Craig Disley. That should be a bare minimum of a professional footballer that you at least put effort in and work your socks off.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 168
February 10, 2024, 5:32pm
Guest User
It’s a fúcking mess.
Reply: 11 - 168
pontoonlew
February 10, 2024, 5:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Remaining relatively calm for now, the second half could’ve changed that but we limited the damage and Vernam was good when he came on.

It just feels like we constantly give the opposition golden opportunities yet don’t concede many ‘half chances’, it’s so bizarre to watch. Cartwright essentially killed the game in an instant with an absolutely woeful pass. The decision to play out from the back is much debated but that had nothing to do with that, it was just purely brainless football. The second goal is just naive and the third is just rank bad defending.

Second half we looked much better, Vernam changed things in our favour but some wise subs from them to go to a back 5 just killed off all momentum we had.

If you look at the facts, we’ve lost to the future champions who are sweeping aside most before them. We’re essentially 8 points clear of relegation with a game in hand against two sides who can’t pick up points to save their lives at the minute. Will we go down? I don’t think so, but I understand why people are nervous.

Artell does have a responsibility to shore things up though, it’s not as if we’re reaping the benefits from the attacking side of our play to justify the negatives it presents at the back. I think Artell will turn us into a decent side eventually, but it sure will be nerve wracking if the next few weeks don’t go to plan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 168
Abdul19
February 10, 2024, 5:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Worrying lack of nous to stop that free kick for the 2nd being taken. Not surprising given the general shambles of that first half.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 168
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 5:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
This style of football is not and never going to work with this side. The budget available and what we could recruit was not set up for this and I now feel a bit sorry for Hurst. I didn't and still do not think he was the man to kick us on but there's something seriously wrong wrong with our recruitment if this is what we can bring in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. My disappointment is immeasurable at not kicking on from the promotion with a rejuvenation of the ground/ new ground, new facilities, new opportunities for the fans and building towards League 1, just as Lincoln did.

We've just played a team that's top of league 2 that cannot sell out our away end which is simply astonishing. A Grimsby side top of this league would sell out an away end from here to Carlisle, Plymouth and back again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
I really don’t where to start other than to say it’s getting worse not better. I’m not privy to the chairman’s thoughts but, admirable as the desire to play nice football is, you can’t do it without spending money on players who can play it.

The two full backs were decent as was Chas when he came on but the rest of them were just not good enough. Really worrying.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 168
dapperz fun pub
February 10, 2024, 5:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,956
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
How about the players ignore the bolloc.ks instructions from our Pep and play to their strengths?

They did at one point and ended up arguing with each other
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 168
out of town
February 10, 2024, 5:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

What happened?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 168
Zmariner
February 10, 2024, 5:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Abysmal, as they say, keep doing the same things you get the same results. Mr Artell needs to realise this or he will end up under huge pressure result was as I expected today but the performance was shocking. Also, why did we not recruit a goalkeeper crying out for an experienced keeper. Poor results this week and I think the crowd will be very aggressive on Saturday. The home form is a disgrace, and in truth, it is a bloody chore to go at the moment. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 168
MaccasBoots
February 10, 2024, 5:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +684
Gold Stars: 23
I'm not sure how it's Artell's fault if the goalkeeper passes it straight to one of their players.

Or how it's his fault if our defenders completely capitulate.

He's been hired by our owners (who gave us the unbelievable play off and fa cup seasons over the last two years - something the tik tok addicts on here seem to have forgotten about very quickly), because he plays a certain style of football. He's not going to suddenly go against all his principles and play hoofball because you're whinging on a forum.

Back the manager. Back the players. Back the club. We all need to put a shift in if we want a good end to the season. Fans leaving the game at thirty minutes certainly aren't doing their part.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 168
out of town
February 10, 2024, 5:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MaccasBoots
I'm not sure how it's Artell's fault if the goalkeeper passes it straight to one of their players.

He's been hired by our owners (who gave us the unbelievable play off and fa cup seasons over the last two years - something the tik tok addicts on here seem to have forgotten about very quickly), because he plays a certain style of football. He's not going to suddenly go against all his principles and play hoofball because you're whinging on a forum.

Back the manager. Back the players. Back the club. We all need to put a shift in if we want a good end to the season. Fans leaving the game at thirty minutes certainly aren't doing their part.

Blaming the fans for walking away from the utter dogsh!t they were served today is quite the take
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 168
barralad
February 10, 2024, 5:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
For the first eight minutes we were fine. Big crowd (songs from Pontoon, Findus and our bit of the Osmond), players clearly up for it- then whoosh- a ridiculous example of playing out from the back (who gives a pass to someone with an opponent up his backside?), and the foundations holding up our confidence collapse. Sadly, the effect went well beyond events on the pitch. The fans who had been backing the team were still there but the support turned, not unsurprisingly to vociferous anger. This clearly unsettled the players and for the next 35 minutes we were an utter mess. The second goal came because of our utter failure to perform even the most basic task. My football career rrached the dizzy heights of Grimsby Sunday League Division 7 but even I know that as a defending team you do everything you can to prevent a free kick being taken quickly. FFS stand on the ball...anything.
We are now in the situation where a sizeable portion (if not yet a majority) of the support do not buy into the ethos of playing out from the back. They (we) vocalise their concerns and I believe that concern enters the players consciousness. After the second goal and being willed to do so Cartwright hit a goal kick long. I looked over towards the technical area and Artell was livid with him.  The 3rd goal (free header 15 yards out completes a miserable half hour.
The sevond half was 100% better but too little effectively too late. Huge month coming up.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 168
arryarryarry
February 10, 2024, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I really don’t where to start other than to say it’s getting worse not better. I’m not privy to the chairman’s thoughts but, admirable as the desire to play nice football is, you can’t do it without spending money on players who can play it.

The two full backs were decent as was Chas when he came on but the rest of them were just not good enough. Really worrying.

I thought the full backs were pretty crap and no improvement whatsoever.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 168
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 5:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots

It’s burying your head in the sand like this that will send us down to the National League for a third time.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 168
buckstown
February 10, 2024, 5:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Well that was depressingly predictable. Thought we started ok but the first goal was a catastrophe and the confidence visibly drained out of us.
Stockport were just faster in thought, execution and transition, perfectly illustrated by the goal from a free kick deep in their own half. I could live with the playing out from the back if the centre halves were a bit more adventurous, but they're terrified and seem to buckle under the slightest pressure
The second half was a bit better but when you're 3-0 up at half time you can afford to relax. I'm astonished that Artell sticks to plan A week after week given our weaknesses, but to be honest the only conclusion is that there can't be a plan B and that means that any manager worth his salt will suss us out with ease. Tuesday is a very big game but Cowley must be licking his lips at the thought of getting amongst our defence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 168
toontown
February 10, 2024, 5:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70

Yep. Maher I think it was played it forward straight away instead of fancying about at the back and got a bollocking from one of the management team, I assume Artell.

Absolutely furious with that abomination of a display, first 5 minutes we showed Stockport can be got at and we are ok going forward. After that we fanny about at the back with players who are not able to do it, Cartwright has shown that, Rodgers, Maher etc.

I just don't think I can bear a whole season of this shite of fannying about 10 yards from our own goal until we get pressured and panic and gift chances away. I just can't stand the away support literally laughing at our buffoonery in defence that comes from the manager. It's absolutely soul destroying. I am already coming round to being Artell out. Seeing those players and seeing them unable to play out in that way, but insisting on it as it's your philosophy - fook off! Your employed to win us matches and points, not spread some gobbledygook philosophy about how you wish we could play football!

I thought we was in a relegation battle but I was still confident we would stay up but FFS I am getting worried now. Artell is so pig headed it's unbelievable and we are walking with our eyes wide open into a 3rd relegation to non league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 168
Quagmire
February 10, 2024, 5:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +931
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from MaccasBoots

The fans have backed the club with back-to-back record season ticket sales

We’ve been badly let down by two multi millionaire owners who seem more concerned with B-Corp status and Scotch eggs

Genuine question - what is the actual point of either of them being involved if this is the best they can offer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots

It doesn’t matter if you play pretty football or are well run, we simply can’t afford another relegation. Relying on two teams being worse than us is shades of a previous regime.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 168
headingly_mariner
February 10, 2024, 6:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 118
Expected it to be difficult today but that was a first half surrender.

Thompson looked ok last week, he had his bottom handed to him first half today and the defending was pitiful.

Artell has made us worse and at real risk of relegation. He's frozen out Wilson and Pyke who can score goals. He comes across as a bit of a male masturbator in his interviews. He needs to sort it out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 168
It Bites
February 10, 2024, 6:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,214
Gold Stars: 265
Im calm and a bit down tbh . Last nights news about Peter Handyside has knocked the football out of me today .

The next 5 games will Define our season . 3 wins bare minimum required
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 168
DB
February 10, 2024, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Quagmire

The fans have backed the club with back-to-back season ticket sales

We’ve been badly let down by two multi millionaire owners who seem more concerned with B-Corp status and Scotch eggs

Genuine question - what is the actual point of either of them being involved if this is the best they can offer?

Maybe it's the fact that they have given us more in 2 completed seasons than the previous owner did in nearly 20 years. Today's performance, and the last few home games, have been dire. Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm sure JS & AP are quick learners. 3 from bottom is as good as 8th from top and a new season to look forward to.

Artels tactics are good if we had the players to do it, so survival it is.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 168
Plankton

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Quagmire

I'd like to know this too. I know it's tongue in cheek about the whole B-Corp and scotch eggs stuff, but what is the long term plan for the for the club? We went up, had an average-ish league performance and an incredible cup run, but where's it all gone? We've sold so many season tickets, more shirts than we probably have in the previous 5 seasons in 1, more merchandise than any other season and fan buy-in that cannot be measured that feeds all into this.

Where are we going?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 168
headingly_mariner

Vodka Drinker
Oh and the mindless booing of short pass and the shouts to launch it are a pure embarrassment. They players are struggling, that sort of nonsense just makes it worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 168
SouthLakesMariner
February 10, 2024, 6:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +939
Gold Stars: 21
Paul Hurst was often criticised for paying too much attention to the opposition and setting us up accordingly. I’m no expert on Stockport County, but if their commentary team are to be believed, they are the best pressing team in the division.

It feels to me like we’re currently not paying enough attention to the opposition. Playing out from the back feels like it’s the right thing to aspire to overtime and with a confident, competent team will probably take us further in the long run. It will almost certainly be better to watch. But right now we’re clearly not getting the right balance of when to do it and when not to, both in-game and in preparation for the opposition in front of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 168
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 6:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB
3 from bottom is as good as 8th from top and a new season to look forward to.

I suspect that was our previous owners ethos and not one we should want to emulate. 3rd from bottom is effectively 2-3 wins from relegation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 168
LocalLadGTFC
February 10, 2024, 6:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Thompson looked ok last week, he had his bottom handed to him first half today and the defending was pitiful.

Artell has made us worse and at real risk of relegation. He's frozen out Wilson and Pyke who can score goals. He comes across as a bit of a male masturbator in his interviews. He needs to sort it out.

Thompson wasn't that bad, the two in front of him were terrible however.. and how on earth has he frozen out Pyke? The blokes been injured but started every single game before hand and Wilson doesn't want to be here. The problem isn't going forward, it's at the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

Maybe it's the fact that they have given us more in 2 completed seasons than the previous owner did in nearly 20 years. Today's performance, and the last few home games, have been dire. Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm sure JS & AP are quick learners. 3 from bottom is as good as 8th from top and a new season to look forward to.

Yeah but we haven’t got the players to play it and the one who can has been frozen out. I’m surprised that you equate finishing 8th and 22nd because I can’t see as many renewing STs if we finish just above the drop.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 168
DB
February 10, 2024, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

I suspect that was our previous owners ethos and not one we should want to emulate. 3rd from bottom is effectively 2-3 wins from relegation.

But at the end of the season, those two below you get relegated. I don't know what JS & AP had in mind for this season, given last years, but I don't think a relegation fight was part of it.

We are where we are and a relegation fight it is. 16 games to go so anywhere from 3rd from bottom upwards.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 168
louth_in_the_south

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Artell is the denominator here . He’s made his bed . We will play out from the back . Cartwright follows the instructions. It goes wrong. DA blames the players.

Who’s wrong? I know . We all know.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 168
MaccasBoots
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Quagmire

Jesus Christ, whining about b corp and scotch eggs - I honestly doubt "fans" like yourself give a toss about the club, you just want a good whinge. urine off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 168
Garth
February 10, 2024, 6:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
It wasn't clever under Hurst this season but were going down with this guy and ammature owners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 168
MaccasBoots
February 10, 2024, 6:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from out of town

Blaming the fans for walking away from the utter dogsh!t they were served today is quite the take

I've seen some awful town performances in my time, far far worse than today. I'm honestly embarrassed that fans of my club would leave so early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 168
MaccasBoots
February 10, 2024, 6:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from davmariner

It’s burying your head in the sand like this that will send us down to the National League for a third time.

Please let us know what your plan is for keeping us out of the national league - I'd be interested to hear what Artell and the owners have been missing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 168
DB
February 10, 2024, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yeah but we haven’t got the players to play it and the one who can has been frozen out. I’m surprised that you equate finishing 8th and 22nd because I can’t see as many renewing STs if we finish just above the drop.

I equate that because at the moment we sh!t at home and dropping points every game. Any team between 8th and 22nd win absolutely nothing but the chance next season to compete in the same league.

On this season's showing I don't think that we will achieve the ST's that we have done this season, regardless of where finish. Letting in 16 goals in 4 home games doesn't exactly motivate ST's to renew, but staying in L2 will have some ST's renew and more walk ins if we do well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 168
fishcake63
February 10, 2024, 6:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Artell is a bluffer & i dont care if i get a zillion xxxxxs he needs to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 168
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 6:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Just listened back to his post-match interview, the man is off his rocker. Our away form is dogshite and Stockport took their foot off the gas in the second half.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 168
fishcake63
February 10, 2024, 6:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but he a one trick pony that's not working & he quite clearly as no plan b
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 168
Eastendmariner
February 10, 2024, 6:47pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Well common sense tells you  how to set up you also you have to consider your opposition,play out from the back ? with this back four we will have have lots of problems   and it did ! we are playing Stockport best team in the league . Our defence has been so poor all season. Colchester on Tuesday  I fear the worst . Artell needs to ask himself are Sutton and Forest Green going to be this bad all season and coming out with fate tempting statements like we won’t be relegated are in my opinion just plain stupid  I think everyone on this forum knows where we may end up  

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 168
GYinScuntland
February 10, 2024, 6:58pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from DB

People have been saying this on this forum for more years than it actually took to build the Roman Empire.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 168
arryarryarry
February 10, 2024, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Oh and the mindless booing of short pass and the shouts to launch it are a pure embarrassment. They players are struggling, that sort of nonsense just makes it worse.

No more embarrassing than the excrement show of a first half performance.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 168
oochiad
February 10, 2024, 7:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Bad afternoon and another weekend ruined. I’m not going to loose my marbles though as I thought we’d get nothing from today and thought the score would have been much worse to be honest. Now Tuesday and Saturday coming are a totally different kettle of fish in that we simply must show that we have improved(I believe we have from what I saw at Accrington) and get 6 points from them. If not then I’ll consider joining the many and joining in with the meltdown……..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 168
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
For those saying we weren’t expected to pick up any points today, what’s your excuse for the Harrogate and Walsall matches?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 168
Lost in Lincoln
February 10, 2024, 7:40pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 7

Cartwright got a bollocking off Artell "flipping ignore him, DO THE RIGHT THING" in the first half after kicking it long.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 168
TwoLeftFeet
February 10, 2024, 7:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Don't see how this is gonna work the BP faithful aren't gonna put up with tippy tappy football around the back.. we haven't got the players to play that way anyway.. sleep walking into a relegation battle..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 168
LH
February 10, 2024, 7:55pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,529
Gold Stars: 173
Why bother playing the game if we expect to lose it?
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 168
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 7:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Don't see how this is gonna work the BP faithful aren't gonna put up with tippy tappy football around the back.. we haven't got the players to play that way anyway.. sleep walking into a relegation battle..

Everyone would be all in for this type of football if we had the players who could execute it and we win a match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 168
Germo66
February 10, 2024, 7:56pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
[quote=140776]

[/quote
Can't see us doing that we've only won 6 games all season, only the bottom two have won less. Need to stop this playing out from the back until next season and concentrate on picking up points at all costs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 168
HerveJosse
February 10, 2024, 8:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
I am slowly beginning to understand how playing out from back can work at this level and why ours doesn’t. .
Stockport playing from the back comprises short ball from goalkeeper to full back to centre back who is rapidly advancing when receiving the ball carries it 10 yards and launches a 30 yard pass to one of the two or three midfield or forward runners who is already beyond our midfield.
Our playing out from back goalie to centre back to full back then back to centre back who is static still in his own penalty area and facing onrushing forwards he is under pressure and either loses the ball or hoofs into touch.
Our problem appears to be a combination of static centre backs and no midfield / forward runners to target.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
My biggest issue is how predictable it all is. Stockport pressed on Thompson from minute one probably knowing that Holohan is simply not good enough to beat the press.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 168
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 8:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
My biggest issue is how predictable it all is. Stockport pressed on Thompson from minute one probably knowing that Holohan is simply not good enough to beat the press.

I fully expect a side like Stockport to do their research and know who they're playing against.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 168
Neilo83
February 10, 2024, 8:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Baffled me when their player went down injured in the first half which resulted in a big break in play - Danny rose {our captain} was over in that area yapping to him and some other of there players and the rest of the team was in our half but not really doing a great deal…. Thought it would be a good time for a coming together to discuss some things like Stockport was doing.

Just feels like there is no togetherness there at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 168
stevethefish
February 10, 2024, 8:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 76
I was born in 1977. My first game was 1983. That i believe is 41 years ago and unless I'm mistaken we have never finished higher than my first season !.

I am worried today. Quite a lot;

1.I live away and went to listen to the match on Mariners TV. It was all muffled, ridiculous and wound me up that I have subscribed to a season pass, but it is not rare for these problems to exist. Not sure really that this is acceptable as a product format yet.

2) I then hear we go one-nil down early and combined with my technical problems, I simply lost interest. Am I bad person?... it actually worried me, apathy... just sheer frustration.. really not like me at all.

3) I look at half time and we are three-nil down and my next door neighbour in Colchester comes to taunt me, I am going to the match on Tuesday and offered to take him and he refused, Rather stay in the warm he says. (In the end, fortunately they let a 92nd minute goal in at Harrogate so I knocked on his door to tell him)

4) Back to half time, I then try and work Mariners TV in second half and all good, apart from it's Stockport commentary talking about how Grimsby are their bogey team and they are grateful to win so easily. Quite simply is that what I paid for? No.

5) I listen to David after the match, I really liked Paul Hurst and bizarrely he and Jon Nolan lived down my mum and dad's road when at Ipswich, but I think everyone all agreed this season didn't quite work out. I do feel a bit for David, I really do. But in some ways, he reminds me of myself and my own early year's experience in business where I come with my own idealistic philosophy. I made mistakes by forcing onto people who are not capable or want to change, too quickly. Is he right, is he wrong who knows?.... but you simply cannot let in 16 goals at home in 4 games and then say we scored 5 versus Notts County as a counter argument. David that needs to stop and that is wrong on your part.

6) I really believe David is honest and trying and I want him to succeed, but tonight he has made his own job far more difficult - a mistake tonight talking about fans. He has enough fires with the players changing to his strategy without accidently creating another problem for himself.

7) I will be there on Tuesday with 9 other friends and family as is it my local match. I've spent a fortune and  want success. But let's look at the data (or facts).. its not so good at the moment, so a slight pivot to protect against relegation might be a more prudent step.

Bottom line is 6 points in last 9 games is unsustainable and frankly unacceptable. We don't need negativity on here; we just need to survive, move on and not self destruct through any kind of ideology.

9) I have immense time for Jason and Andrew. They care and clearly want to improve match day experience and football. Successful people don't like "perceived failure" and they will be really hurting at the moment. It's difficult for them too, what they want is not happening. Trust me, having worked with many multi-millionaires in work, they will be at home now with like a bear with a sore head. So lets' look to their intentions not the current results and keep the faith.

10) Either I'm a silly boy who lives in the south and doesn't go to as many matches as I used to you and rely on listening to the radio / streaming, but in summary I want to say tonight I'm a bit worried and the trends are not good. Risk is growing incrementally weekly. My own apathy is not a good feel or a good look and has to be questioned by me and the club..... Is it simply because I'm getting older and a misery or simply less tolerant of poor performance for whilst the love of my life is ultimately discretional spend? I feel I should be spending far more not less, but something is holding me back.

Let's now pull together and solve this absolute nightmare season. See you Tuesday and hope for 3 points to ease the concern, If anyone wants a cup of tea or beer in Colchester you are more than welcome to DM me.

We must get points Tuesday. Simple as that, because we need to be looking up.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 168
CSLM
February 10, 2024, 8:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Shambles really.
Horrendous first goal, from behind the goal I thought Cartwright should've saved it. Suicide pass in the first place.
Second was schoolboy stuff but the pass across was very composed.
Third was awful to, how was he completely free in the middle of the box? Real quality from Sarcevic though tbf.
Could've been more, very depressing. Definitely not good when the players know that the crowd are against what they've been told to do, understandable as it is.

There was just nothing in midfield whatsoever. They were good at making the pitch as wide as possible but we didn't half make it easy for them. They had some real quality though for league 2.Crazy how every other team seems to have so much space. Cannot just be a coincidence. Oh dear.

Really not sure if it is good or bad that we are playing everyone around us next few games. Guess we will find out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 168
moosey_club
February 10, 2024, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Just watched the highlights.......didn't look any better 😄

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 168
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2024, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
I said at the start of the second-half that we need to get the crowd going.  Unfortunately, some had already gone!

The goals given as gifts have been well documented.  I wonder if there is a wider underlying cause for so many errors being made by the players?  This is besides players not good enough to play out from the back or maybe not wanting to.

DA appears no to be inspiring the players or motivating them.  He does not give them confidence, hence they are more likely to make a mistake.

After the last home defeat DA said that the players did not do what he had asked them to do.  Even if true,  they should not be criticised in public.  The buck stops with the manager, even if the players member-up.  

After today he said we were good enough to stay up.  Little evidence to support this bar the points gap to the bottom 2.  He said this even without knowing the other results today, a comment which grates.  

Getting 1 point from 15 at home can never be described as “good enough”.

He deflected incisive questions, highlighting our recent away form as the way forward.  It is always possible that our away form could start to mirror our home form.  God forbid.  DA  was also critical of the fans today.  

Overall, if he was a manager in any business I do not think that he would get the best out of his team.  Worrying times.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 168
ex-merseymariner
February 10, 2024, 9:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Worrying.
Clutching at straws, at least DA made 3 h t  subs, an vernam was impressive.
Andrews and Green did OK, but 4 3 3 doesn't work when your wide men aren't in the game and all 3 of your midfield are quite small.  Yet our tactics didn't change. Even 4 5 1 might have been better.

Holohan and Clifton whilst likeable enough doesn't work, too similar perhaps.

Similarly Rose's constant running is pointless if the other attackers lack energy.  Eisa played better than recently but just seems the opposite of Rose.

Am worried Rose will get injured or/and suspended, and what is the point of bringing the Coventry lad in and giving him the odd 5 mins - he is surely our tallest striker, yet no idea if he's any good. He seemed stuck on the right wing too.....

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Worrying.
Clutching at straws, at least DA made 3 h t  subs, an vernam was impressive.
Andrews and Green did OK, but 4 3 3 doesn't work when your wide men aren't in the game and all 3 of your midfield are quite small.  Yet our tactics didn't change. Even 4 5 1 might have been better.

Holohan and Clifton whilst likeable enough doesn't work, too similar perhaps.

Similarly Rose's constant running is pointless if the other attackers lack energy.  Eisa played better than recently but just seems the opposite of Rose.

Am worried Rose will get injured or/and suspended, and what is the point of bringing the Coventry lad in and giving him the odd 5 mins - he is surely our tallest striker, yet no idea if he's any good. He seemed stuck on the right wing too.....

Stockport were on the beach by half time. Green did ok but it was a low bar as Thompson and Holohan were dreadful.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 168
oochiad
February 10, 2024, 9:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from LH
Why bother playing the game if we expect to lose it?

I’m a realist. It’s not that difficult to understand, top of the league having a goal difference of 35 against our defence that have let in 20+ goals at home recently………Tuesday and Saturday coming are a totally different prospect though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 168
fishcake63
February 10, 2024, 9:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
i honestly dont think the players rate artell & are unsure how to play out his tactics , dont get me wrong grimsby & paul hurst had run it's course but david artell is not our answer , we need sutton & fgr to keep been crap because we wont win many football matches
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 168
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 10, 2024, 10:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,698
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought the full backs were pretty crap and no improvement whatsoever.

Not sure why this post has got so many crosses as they were, on today’s performance, clearly no better and in respect of the left back he doesn’t even have the same quality delivery as Glennon. Yes he had a couple of good runs first half but was guilty of allowing his opponent get behind him on several occasions.

Smith did ok but nothing outstanding and is another who lacks height and physicality and still struggling to understand how either he or Mullarkey are an improvement on Efete. Stockport had 3 guys at least 6 ft 3 ins and look threatening every set piece we literally have no one who is that strong aerially.

As for playing out from the back this just doesn’t make sense at BP as soon as there is one error the abuse and jeers start and players are torn between pleasing the fans or DA, neither as it happens. Plus for this to work you have to have a midfield that wants the ball and is comfortable to receive it whilst under pressure. To be fair to Thompson he did look for the ball but reminded me of the guy we got from Preston(Welch?) completely unfit and passed his sell by date the bloke looked incapable of getting into a jog never mind a sprint. Holohan and Clifton just not good enough and once again I question Clifton’s selection. Even Andrews is far more comfortable on the ball but again doesn’t get round the pitch enough.

Rose is totally isolated and our wide men have no real threat so the ball never stays for more than a few seconds in the opposition’s half.

I questioned the success of the Recruitment Manager a couple of weeks ago and not one of the January signings make me reconsider my opinion that he has added nothing of value to the club.

We are in one hell of a mess and like many I’m sick and tired of going to BP to see utter garbage performances and players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 168
Poojah
February 10, 2024, 10:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Emotional afternoon. Had been hoping all night that the Handyside news was just a sick joke but arrived in Cleethorpes to find that, alas, it was not. Sad, sad times, and that minute’s applause was a tough one, especially with Kev Rogers choking up as he announced it. It coincided with me getting something in my eye.

Sadly, the game couldn’t have been any less of a tribute to the man. Handyside wasn’t just a great defender, he was a brilliant carrier and passer of the ball. Our back 5 weren’t any of those things. An absolutely shambolic first-half from them, and not that much better in the second, Maher quite literally forgetting the ball at one point. I honestly think that if Stockport had gone at us full tilt for the full 90, they could have had double figures. Thank Christ they stopped throwing punches after they’d bagged the points inside half-an-hour.

I can’t be arsed to unpack the goals. It doesn’t really matter. Like so many of late, they were just so shít and so avoidable, it drives me absolutely fúcking crazy. Ultimately, we’ve changed the personnel but the problems stay the same, and the stats bear that out. Here’s the average goals conceded per game in league games managed by Hurst, Pearson / Davies and Artell respectively.

Hurst - 1.63 (16 games)
Pearson / Davies - 1.67 (3 games)
Artell - 2.09 (11 games)

In effect, under Artell we’ve conceded 28% more goals than the man he replaced; a man who was sacked no less. A man who was sacked despite a huge amount of good will in the bank. Artell doesn’t have that luxury.

It gets worse though, if we take the last 5 in isolation, we’ve conceded 3.2 goals per game on average, and that somehow includes a clean sheet. That’s no coincidence, the common denominator here is the manager, and the system he seemingly wants to persist with. Can you blame it all on Artell? Perhaps not, but he’s inherited a problem, and he’s gone and made it worse.

It’s not rocket science; you can’t be so easy to score goals against and expect to pick up points on a regular basis. If there’s a positive to be found today, it’s that Sutton and Forest Green both lost, the veggies taking an even heavier home beating than we did. But relying on that is not a good model, nor is being marginally better than two sides who look set to pick up the lowest collective points total of any relegated League Two sides in the best part of 20 years.

Ultimately, there’s no disgrace in losing to Stockport. They’re a good, well drilled side, and they’ve got a markedly bigger budget than us. But the budget argument works both ways. There’s no way we have the fourth lowest budget in the division. We are so far below par it’s unreal.

Some big games ahead between now and mid-March. Artell needs to have a long, hard look at the list of managers that have never worked in the EFL again after being sacked by Town. The short-term fixture list holds the potential to both save his bacon and to see him back in the job centre. If he wants to avoid the latter, he needs to find some pragmatism from somewhere - Stockport knew that a quick press would see us completely shít the bed, and they weren’t wrong.

More than anything though, I’m just absolutely gutted that one of my childhood heroes has died. Some of those fúckers out there today don’t deserve to grace the same pitch as Peter Handyside. RIP, Mariner.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
So after a 3 hour drive home (you’re welcome Dave) and a bowl of corn flakes for my dinner as I should have gone food shopping today instead of taking my seat to watch that rubbish.

There is nothing I can take from today and recent weeks that tells me the only two things that will stop us getting relegated again are FGR & Sutton.

Stockport didn’t have to get out of 3rd gear today as we gifted them 3 goals and it was men against boys, again!

I won’t dwell on the detail as I’ve worked it over in my mind multiple times on the A1 but the one thing that sticks with me is that it looked like the players are losing heart and no doubt faith in what they’re being asked to do, at times it looked like there was a fair bit of finger pointing going on which is a really bad sign.

On the pitch we look so muddled, when Artell arrived we couldn’t defend we still can’t as he’s failed to deal with the root cause of our poor results - poor defending.

It’s looking bad because it actually is bad. Though I’m completely unimpressed with Artell I’m equally as unimpressed with this set of players, they need to stand up & have some pride.

Finally there was a lot of coppers there today, they all should sacked as none of them spotted the wage stealers disguised as footballers & a football manger inside Blundell Park today.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Emotional afternoon. Had been hoping all night that the Handyside news was just a sick joke but arrived in Cleethorpes to find that, alas, it was not. Sad, sad times, and that minute’s applause was a tough one, especially with Kev Rogers choking up as he announced it. It coincided with me getting something in my eye.

Sadly, the game couldn’t have been any less of a tribute to the man. Handyside wasn’t just a great defender, he was a brilliant carrier and passer of the ball. Our back 5 weren’t any of those things. An absolutely shambolic first-half from them, and not that much better in the second, Maher quite literally forgetting the ball at one point. I honestly think that if Stockport had gone at us full tilt for the full 90, they could have had double figures. Thank Christ they stopped throwing punches after they’d bagged the points inside half-an-hour.

I can’t be arsed to unpack the goals. It doesn’t really matter. Like so many of late, they were just so shít and so avoidable, it drives me absolutely fúcking crazy. Ultimately, we’ve changed the personnel but the problems stay the same, and the stats bear that out. Here’s the average goals conceded per game in league games managed by Hurst, Pearson / Davies and Artell respectively.

Hurst - 1.63 (16 games)
Artell - 2.09 (11 games)

In effect, under Artell we’ve conceded 28% more goals than the man he replaced; a man who was sacked no less. A man who was sacked despite a huge amount of good will in the bank. Artell doesn’t have that luxury.

It gets worse though, if we take the last 5 in isolation, we’ve conceded 3.2 goals per game on average, and that somehow includes a clean sheet. That’s no coincidence, the common denominator here is the manager, and the system he seemingly wants to persist with. Can you blame it all on Artell? Perhaps not, but he’s inherited a problem, and he’s gone and made it worse.

It’s not rocket science; you can’t be so easy to score goals against and expect to pick up points on a regular basis. If there’s a positive to be found today, it’s that Sutton and Forest Green both lost, the veggies taking an even heavier home beating than we did. But relying on that is not a good model, nor is being marginally better than two sides who look set to pick up the lowest collective points total of any relegated League Two sides in the best part of 20 years.

Ultimately, there’s no disgrace in losing to Stockport. They’re a good, well drilled side, and they’ve got a markedly bigger budget than us. But the budget argument works both ways. There’s no way we have the fourth lowest budget in the division. We are so far below par it’s unreal.

Some big games ahead between now and mid-March. Artell needs to have a long, hard look at the list of managers that have never worked in the EFL again after being sacked by Town. The short-term fixture list holds the potential to both save his bacon and to see him back in the job centre. If he wants to avoid the latter, he needs to find some pragmatism from somewhere - Stockport knew that a quick press would see us completely shít the bed, and they weren’t wrong.

More than anything though, I’m just absolutely gutted that one of my childhood heroes has died. Some of those fúckers out there today don’t deserve to grace the same pitch as Peter Handyside. RIP, Mariner.

As usual, right on point. The saddest thing is that some of today’s squad arrived at our club with a lot better pedigree than Pete but we and he fulfilled our potential and much, much more. Some of those useless fornicators today clapped for someone they never knew, perhaps they ought to take a minute to reflect on how to make the best of themselves.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 168
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 10:45pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Hurst - 1.63 (16 games)
Artell - 2.09 (11 games)

Poojah, you always manage to put things in words much better than I could. I think you're an excellent servant this board and enunciate much better, where as I can only say we're shite.

There's a lot to think about from top to bottom in the club, which is unfortunate reality we see ourselves in.

For me my biggest frustration is that we were beaten by the 29th minute, done, dusted and bring in the bibs. We looked like conference side against this outfit and that's to their credit, their were talented, well disciplined and knew when to game manage,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Hurst - 1.63 (16 games)
Artell - 2.09 (11 games)

I felt really sorry for Kev today, he’s had to call some awful things before kick off this season, absolutely lovely fella as  well.

You have to ask why was Artell out of work for 18 months & it took a massively strategic programme of coaching pod casts, print articles & extensive PR to get him back in a job.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I felt really sorry for Kev today, he’s had to call some awful things before kick off this season, absolutely lovely fella as  well.

You have to ask why was Artell out of work for 18 months & it took a massively strategic programme of coaching pod casts, print articles & extensive PR to get him back in a job.

I look at our team sheet and watch how we’re trying to play and I can’t actually work out how some players get starts and some don’t even get on the bench. Baffling.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 168
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2024, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,970
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm also asking myself why he hasn't signed a couple of players he's worked with previously. I'm not sure that he can trust anyone, his coaching staff were forced upon him and all of our signings appear to have been players the Head of Recruitment had been monitoring for a while.

Jack Lester wanted Alan Buckley to come be his assistant at Chesterfield. Buckley turned it down but told him that his assistant manager had to be somebody that he could trust implicitly as many assistant managers want the managers job.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm also asking myself why he hasn't signed a couple of players he's worked with previously. I'm not sure that he can trust anyone, his coaching staff were forced upon him and all of our signings appear to have been players the Head of Recruitment had been monitoring for a while.

Jack Lester wanted Alan Buckley to come be his assistant at Chesterfield. Buckley turned it down but told him that his assistant manager had to be somebody that he could trust implicitly as many assistant managers want the managers job.

I suspect he’s not signed players he’s worked with before is due to the fact we’re in a relegation battle, he said as much on Thursday when asked about Kirk.

As a manager he’s only managed 1 club so I wouldn’t expect him to have that big a network of players to fall back on, a lot of his Crewe side are playing at a higher level aren’t they?

I don’t get your point about trust to be honest, the only context where you could use trust as a factor is that the players don’t trust what he’s asking them to do is the right thing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 168
mariner91
February 10, 2024, 11:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262

Had some absolute bore sat near me today and could hear him loudly proclaiming how hoofing it forward is always the best way to play. Genuinely heard him say that John Beck's Cambridge team would beat Man City 6-0 and Pep wouldn't know what hit him. I think we should be  more direct and not so stubbornly playing it out from the back but fook me, if anyone actually believes that then they're watching the wrong sport.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 168
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 11:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I suspect he’s not signed players he’s worked with before is due to the fact we’re in a relegation battle, he said as much on Thursday when asked about Kirk.

As a manager he’s only managed 1 club so I wouldn’t expect him to have that big a network of players to fall back on, a lot of his Crewe side are playing at a higher level aren’t they?

I don’t get your point about trust to be honest, the only context where you could use trust as a factor is that the players don’t trust what he’s asking them to do is the right thing.

I don't understand his appointment at all if he can't bring in players through his network, that's surely the boon of having a certain manager, their well established network with players?

I think the owners have been incredibly naive at what going down means and have taken this bloke on a chance. I'd rather us have spent on the cowleys for example as they have a pedigree on making successful teams, aka Lincoln. Lincoln are thriving, new stadium expansion, community buy in, etc...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

I don't understand his appointment at all if he can't bring in players through his network, that's surely the boon of having a certain manager, their well established network with players?

I think the owners have been incredibly naive at what going down means and have taken this bloke on a chance. I'd rather us have spent on the cowleys for example as they have a pedigree on making successful teams, aka Lincoln. Lincoln are thriving, new stadium expansion, community buy in, etc...

I’m not sure we’re in a position to recruit a manager who has a network to bring in as we’re not flush and in the bottom 5 of the EFL, why would anyone decent come here? Plus we have a head of recruitment to spot talent 🤷‍♂️

Whilst I get the point about what the Cowley’s did at Lincoln but that’s a different scenario.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 168
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2024, 11:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

My point on trust is that he needs someone he can truly trust within his coaching team. As for former players, he was in the Crewe academy set-up for some time before taking on the first team role. Whilst a lot might be playing higher, a lot won't be. I thought he would bring in a couple of players who understood his methods to help bring the existing players along.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

My point on trust is that he needs someone he can truly trust within his coaching team. As for former players, he was in the Crewe academy set-up for some time before taking on the first team role. Whilst a lot might be playing higher, a lot won't be. I thought he would bring in a couple of players who understood his methods to help bring the existing players along.

Why can’t he trust Ben & Shaun?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 168
toontown
February 10, 2024, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not sure why this post has got so many crosses as they were, on today’s performance, clearly no better and in respect of the left back he doesn’t even have the same quality delivery as Glennon. Yes he had a couple of good runs first half but was guilty of allowing his opponent get behind him on several occasions.

Smith did ok but nothing outstanding and is another who lacks height and physicality and still struggling to understand how either he or Mullarkey are an improvement on Efete. Stockport had 3 guys at least 6 ft 3 ins and look threatening every set piece we literally have no one who is that strong aerially.

As for playing out from the back this just doesn’t make sense at BP as soon as there is one error the abuse and jeers start and players are torn between pleasing the fans or DA, neither as it happens. Plus for this to work you have to have a midfield that wants the ball and is comfortable to receive it whilst under pressure. To be fair to Thompson he did look for the ball but reminded me of the guy we got from Preston(Welch?) completely unfit and passed his sell by date the bloke looked incapable of getting into a jog never mind a sprint. Holohan and Clifton just not good enough and once again I question Clifton’s selection. Even Andrews is far more comfortable on the ball but again doesn’t get round the pitch enough.

Rose is totally isolated and our wide men have no real threat so the ball never stays for more than a few seconds in the opposition’s half.

I questioned the success of the Recruitment Manager a couple of weeks ago and not one of the January signings make me reconsider my opinion that he has added nothing of value to the club.

We are in one hell of a mess and like many I’m sick and tired of going to BP to see utter garbage performances and players.

Re: the full backs they look to be an improvement simply by not standing out as exceptionally bad defenders. They looked fairly anonymous league 2 full backs, but yes that is an improvement on the 2 who were taking it in turns to put in cataclysmically bad defensive performances.

Agree that Glennon offers more going forward tho. But not mullarkey he is awful at the back and flatters to decieve offensively
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 168
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 12:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
The two current centre backs have been consistently dreadful.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 168
WembleyDouble
February 11, 2024, 12:30am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +17
The biggest challenge between now and the summer is that the spine of our team is dreadful, or at best average (GK, 2 CB’s, 2 or maybe all 3 CM’s). Combine that with the fact they are being asked to play a style of play only the very top teams achieve with any great success, for me explains why we have gone backwards since Artell took charge.

Both CB’s looked like rabbits in headlights every time they got the ball to feet, and had to pick a pass to midfielder, who rarely, if ever showed for them. On top of that they had a very good Stockport teams frontline ready to pounce on any mistake they made, of which there inevitably was a few because either as a unit, or individually they aren’t good enough to do what they are being asked, or well drilled enough to play that way. Probably a mixture of the two.

How the hell we fix that with this group I don’t know. But something needs to change rapidly. These next 2 games are massive and we need to pick up some points and show some serious progress and that we have it in our locker to pick up enough points to keep us safe by May, and that we are learning from our frequent mistakes of gifting teams easy goals.

If we don’t get the points or show progress of fixing errors this week, for me Artell has to go. This is not a time for sentiment or experiment of style. Although today was a tough game and I didn’t expect anything from it the same errors are being repeated too often. We need hard evidence of progress quickly, ideally via the medium of points or we are in deep trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 168
Terry duckworth
February 11, 2024, 1:51am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: -43
Gold Stars: 2
We wasn’t very good today but.will people hold their fire
For goodness sake yes we was excrement but this is the mighty mariners
We will bounce back as always ❤️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 168
fishcake63
February 11, 2024, 7:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
The two current centre backs have been consistently dreadful.

Said it all along maher cant or doesn't want to put his head in where it hurts & for a lge 2 cb it's criminal & artell is as much to blame as hurst was in keeping him in team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 168
pontoonlew
February 11, 2024, 7:30am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from fishcake63

Said it all along maher cant or doesn't want to put his head in where it hurts & for a lge 2 cb it's criminal & artell is as much to blame as hurst was in keeping him in team

In fairness Artell took him out the team at the first opportunity when Tharne came in and I imagine he will again when he’s fit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 168
Mappers
February 11, 2024, 7:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Approval: +4,333
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I know Crewe are doing well and all . But if Artell was so highly thought of within the game , from players he's worked with before and had success with previously he would have pulled off the Charlie Kirk signing wouldn't he ?

Thought it was telling he went back to Crewe tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 7:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I know Crewe are doing well and all . But if Artell was so highly thought of within the game , from players he's worked with before and had success with previously he would have pulled off the Charlie Kirk signing wouldn't he ?

To be fair, would you sign for a team at the top end of the table in an area you’re familiar with or a team at the bottom? And that’s before we get into the relative merits of living in and around Grimsby.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 168
pontoonlew
February 11, 2024, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I know it’s seemingly open season on Artell for the next few days but this really is clutching at straws
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 168
ska face
February 11, 2024, 7:51am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Mappers

Promotion chasing hometown club where you’re regarded as a hero, or relegation-threatened club 2 & half hours drive from where you live where nobody has ever heard of you.

Yeah must be Artell’s fault that one. You talk some dirge
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 168
Mappers
February 11, 2024, 8:09am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Promotion chasing hometown club where you’re regarded as a hero, or relegation-threatened club 2 & half hours drive from where you live where nobody has ever heard of you.

Fair point .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 168
thornemariner
February 11, 2024, 8:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +658
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Eastendmariner
Well common sense tells you  how to set up you also you have to consider your opposition,play out from the back ? with this back four we will have have lots of problems   and it did ! we are playing Stockport best team in the league . Our defence has been so poor all season. Colchester on Tuesday  I fear the worst . Artell needs to ask himself are Sutton and Forest Green going to be this bad all season and coming out with fate tempting statements like we won’t be relegated are in my opinion just plain stupid  I think everyone on this forum knows where we may end up  

Rob, someone always strings a few wins together and we haven't done that all season so I'm not relying on Sutton and FGR remaining behind us. We haven't beaten either yet anyway. I had thought of going to Colchester but it's beyond my pain barrier. It was the home game against them that made me realise we were going to struggle badly.

Hope you get to see a win.

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 168
ginnywings
February 11, 2024, 8:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Stayed away from this forum all night. Haven't read the thread and don't intend to.

We are a fooking shambles yet again, just like we have been for 20 years and I am pig sick of it.

Artell is full of shite, just like the last 5 or 6 managers.

Had enough to be honest and I hope we get relegated so I can finally fook the team off and go do something enjoyable with my weekends.

Can't believe I gave up weeks of my time to build the fanzone and I want to take a big hammer to it and knock it the fook down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 168
StacyColdicotts_hairline
February 11, 2024, 8:20am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Yesterdays performance was truly woeful, poor performances through out the squad. Tactically inept from beginning to end.

It feels to me that Artells tenure at the club may be reaching its natural conclusion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 168
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2024, 8:23am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Why can’t he trust Ben & Shaun?

Because implicit trust takes time to build. Artell is literally here on his own and all the signings seem to be previous targets.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 168
Northbank Mariner
February 11, 2024, 8:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,478
Gold Stars: 171
I've been guilty of having a go at so called supporters who are saying "intercourse this I'm giving up following town and wasting my Saturdays on this shite", well yesterday I joined their club!..

Genuinely thought after we got rid of Fenty and his poison we would kick on as a club, but 3 years on and we are almost back where we started, yet our budget should be so much greater with last seasons success, player sales and nigh on 75% increase on season ticket sales.

I know I'll keep punishing myself, but I have to be honest, I'm starting to feel like I'm one more urine poor performance away from a stroke!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 168
Mappers
February 11, 2024, 8:26am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face

The only 2 things i blame Artell for is :

A)Thinking he could get these losers playing like Barcelona
B)Sticking to it

But A may well be the only reason he got the job .In all probability sticking to A & B for the remaining will take us down imo but that might be more of my 'dirge ' time will tell .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 8:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Stayed away from this forum all night. Haven't read the thread and don't intend to.

We are a fooking shambles yet again, just like we have been for 20 years and I am pig sick of it.

Had enough to be honest and I hope we get relegated so I can finally fook the team off and go do something enjoyable with my weekends.

Can't believe I gave up weeks of my time to build the fanzone and I want to take a big hammer to it and knock it the fook down.

No more fence sitting then Ginny? 😉👏👏👏
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 8:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Yesterdays performance was truly woeful, poor performances through out the squad. Tactically inept from beginning to end.

It feels to me that Artells tenure at the club may be reaching its natural conclusion.

We were also rubbish under Hurst. The players responded to Artell initially yet now seem to have gone backwards again and I reckon that is because this group of players, who no doubt looked good on paper and their data sets, have just not gelled at all, at any time.

Getting together a successful side is a complicated business and we seem to have lost sight of all the other things that are important to get the right blend, which does often need some luck.

How we managed to assemble this squad of players without a leader amongst them, and have two keepers not suitable for league 2 for different reasons is a mystery.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 8:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Because implicit trust takes time to build. Artell is literally here on his own and all the signings seem to be previous targets.

If you look at Artell’s career I don’t think he’s got too much of a network to realistically bring in.

The signing may have been previous targets I’d expect them to be to a degree as that’s how the model works when you have a head of recruitment.

To say that Artell hasn’t got enough of his own people in is just cognitive dissonance and you’re massively reframing a complete sh1t show on his part.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 8:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I’m sorry you feel that way, a lot of supporters enjoy going to the fans zone so your work is appreciated regardless of the current situation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 168
ginnywings
February 11, 2024, 8:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No more fence sitting then Ginny? 😉👏👏👏

Nope.

I'm done with them. It's embarrassing watching players who can even control a football. I could do it as an amateur, but it seems beyond our players.

I have no problem with losing to a better side, but we just gave them the points, gift wrapped with a big ribbon on top.

Found ourselves apologising to some Stockport fans tonight for not giving them a better game FFS.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 168
Brummie Codfather
February 11, 2024, 9:12am
Beer Drinker
Approval: +852
That was my first game at BP for a while as it’s just such a long way from home, I do usually watch all the matches on TV though.

It looks so much worse in person, being able to see the whole pitch really give me a sense of our problems.  The big issue for me (& no surprises) are our centre backs.  

I’m not against playing out from the back in theory but man how badly can you get it wrong.  So many times Rodgers passed it to Maher, meaning he wasn’t pressed, our midfield pushed forward giving him space to run into, at which point they would trigger their runs and what does he do?  Wait for a soft pass to come to him, rather than coming to the ball, allowing the press, then even if the space was still there be too much of a bottle job to run into it.  Same for Rodgers.  It really pisses me off how their lack of confidence or guts basically destroyed anything our team were trying to do.  We don’t even have the personnel to replace them, only Tharme, which means one has to play (unless you trust Mullarkey at cb - I don’t trust him on the pitch)

No excuses for the rest of the team either but those two playing like this will see us down - really copulated off at what I saw.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Nope.

I'm done with them. It's embarrassing watching players who can even control a football. I could do it as an amateur, but it seems beyond our players.

I have no problem with losing to a better side, but we just gave them the points, gift wrapped with a big ribbon on top.

Found ourselves apologising to some Stockport fans tonight for not giving them a better game FFS.

A few near me were moaning about Stockport singing you’re fu cking excrement. Well we were, and for the most part, have been for a very long time.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 168
toontown
February 11, 2024, 9:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m sorry you feel that way, a lot of supporters enjoy going to the fans zone so your work is appreciated regardless of the current situation.

Yeah don't let that beyond shite performance by players and manager that will all be moving on elsewhere  (hopefully the sooner the better) detract from doing something for fellow mariners fans. It's appreciated. We are the continuity of a club, not the players/managers that come and go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 168
Brummie Codfather
February 11, 2024, 9:19am
Beer Drinker
Approval: +852
Quoted from toontown

Yeah don't let that beyond shite performance by players and manager that will all be moving on elsewhere  (hopefully the sooner the better) detract from doing something for fellow mariners fans. It's appreciated. We are the continuity of a club, not the players/managers that come and go.

Beyond Shite might be a good tag line for our end of season DVD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 168
Pontoon bill
February 11, 2024, 9:32am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +53
Gold Stars: 9
Just seen Brentford goal on match of the day,and this proves why you should not play out from the back! Stockport don't do it much and they are top of the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 168
RonMariner
February 11, 2024, 9:52am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Every team that bothers to do their homework on us will immediately see the weakness at the heart of our defence and target it. I imagine the Cowleys are already planning to do just that.

It must be addressed asap. Perhaps play a holding midfield player very very deep to help cover the CB’s. Alternatively actually play a midfielder in one of the CB slots. Can’t surely be any worse defensively and might at least be able to pass the ball occasionally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 9:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
Every team that bothers to do their homework on us will immediately see the weakness at the heart of our defence and target it. I imagine the Cowleys are already planning to do just that.

It must be addressed asap. Perhaps play a holding midfield player very very deep to help cover the CB’s. Alternatively actually play a midfielder in one of the CB slots. Can’t surely be any worse defensively and might at least be able to pass the ball occasionally.

Challoner’s post match is on here somewhere, the Cowley’s can just watch it & save a bit of time thinking about how they can also embarrass us on Tuesday night.

Then again I’m not sure they could embarrass us more than what we’re already doing to ourselves.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 168
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2024, 10:13am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Had some absolute bore sat near me today and could hear him loudly proclaiming how hoofing it forward is always the best way to play. Genuinely heard him say that John Beck's Cambridge team would beat Man City 6-0 and Pep wouldn't know what hit him. I think we should be  more direct and not so stubbornly playing it out from the back but fook me, if anyone actually believes that then they're watching the wrong sport.

It's anti football. If we could get it right it will be amazing. You have to work towards it though. One of the big reasons we get caught so much and can't play it is the front 3 have no threat in behind, all decent players but no pace. It allows any team we are playing against to squeeze right up, we can't beat the press and the pinch the ball off us 25 yards from our goal.
Had we had Vernam, Pyke or Wilson on yesterday they would've had to defend deeper, there would've always been a option to put the ball in behind which would give us more space to play in. The current idea is suicide against any team that can press.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 168
February 11, 2024, 10:46am
Guest User
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this forum, might as well say let's not have a manager and let the players pick the side, pick the tactics, make the subs etc.etc.

Reply: 113 - 168
Croxton
February 11, 2024, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33

It's anti football. If we could get it right it will be amazing. You have to work towards it though. One of the big reasons we get caught so much and can't play it is the front 3 have no threat in behind, all decent players but no pace. It allows any team we are playing against to squeeze right up, we can't beat the press and the pinch the ball off us 25 yards from our goal.
Had we had Vernam, Pyke or Wilson on yesterday they would've had to defend deeper, there would've always been a option to put the ball in behind which would give us more space to play in. The current idea is suicide against any team that can press.

You're right. Bullying a 20 year old keeper to pass out every time is not 'evolution'. Other sides, including Stockport, mix it up and adapt. Challinor knew Thompson was the key to our transition and Sarcevic was tasked with roughing him up especially after the yellow card. Thompson was certainly distracted by this and was talking to the ref more than his fellow midfielders. Clifton and Holohan offered little support and our CB'S can't play out to any degree.
Vernam needs to start at Colchester and our transition needs to be a higher tempo, on the deck and using the experience our our new full backs.
Gnahoua looks after the ball in the final third better than Abo and should also start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 168
February 11, 2024, 10:52am
Guest User
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Finally, a sensible post!

Reply: 115 - 168
golfer
February 11, 2024, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,442
If we carry on at this rate we will be the only team to have ever conceded 100 goals at home in a season. At least we will be in the record books and in every pub quiz
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 168
February 11, 2024, 10:58am
Guest User
Quoted from Quagmire

The fans have backed the club with back-to-back record season ticket sales

Why post garbage like this?  How is B Corps effecting the team, or scotch eggs.  Really, I just don't get what this has anything to do with our current position.

Reply: 117 - 168
February 11, 2024, 11:00am
Guest User

Was he actually playing?  I honestly can't even remember his name being mentioned throughout the whole of the game!

Reply: 118 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Feck off then, you obviously are not a true supporter of GTFC!

Why do you have to be so aggressive?

I don’t always agree with Ginny I respect his well thought out opinions, but to say he’s not a true supporter is very disrespectful.

Worth noting he actually attends games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 168
Hagrid
February 11, 2024, 11:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,431
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from 123614

Feck off then, you obviously are not a true supporter of GTFC!

Ginny helped build the fanzone, and has gone for years and years

Im rapidly falling out of love with football in general, it doesnt give me a release from other avenues as it once did. Im in the position- like Ginny- of not renewing my ST next season should we go down. I’ve had a season ticket since i was 8 years old. I’m 28 now, doesnt mean I wont still be a fan.

I go to the football in the main to be happy, to feel part of something, to detach from a life where in the main im very troubled and very lonely. Im at the point now where I go to the game and come away feeling worse.

You shouldnt be so aggressive to people Bear, everyone has their own reasons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 168
toontown
February 11, 2024, 11:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I don’t always agree with Ginny but to say he’s not a true supporter is very disrespectful.

Yeah I think Ginny is one of the best posters on here even if I disagree with him he argues his point very well. Unlike someone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 168
NorthseaMariner
February 11, 2024, 11:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
I’m with you Herts, no need to be so aggressive.
Yes we’re all hurting at the moment, but fighting amongst ourselves is totally pointless.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 168
February 11, 2024, 11:26am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I don’t always agree with Ginny but to say he’s not a true supporter is very disrespectful.

Really?  "Had enough to be honest and I hope we get relegated so I can finally fook the team off"

True supporters don't do this.

Reply: 123 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Really?  "Had enough to be honest and I hope we get relegated so I can finally fook the team off"

True supporters don't do this.

Maybe you ought to stay off here for a bit, I get you’re disappointed & frustrated like the rest of us but feeling the need to keep just blindly lashing out at people can’t be a good place to be

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 168
February 11, 2024, 11:30am
Guest User
Quoted from toontown

Yeah I think Ginny is one of the best posters on here even if I disagree with him he argues his point very well. Unlike someone.

Even if he is the best poster on here, that doesn't mean anything at all when he says he hopes we get relegated and he said  "I hope we get relegated so I can finally fook the team off".

Reply: 125 - 168
February 11, 2024, 11:36am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Maybe you ought to stay off here for a bit, I get you’re disappointed & frustrated like the rest of us but feeling the need to keep just blindly lashing out at people can’t be a good place to be

Lol, you're joking right?  It's not me that said I'm "fooking the team off", I'm not, because I am a true supporter who has supported this team for 73 years.  I'm not happy that we are losing games so often, but frustrated, no.  I live in hope that we can still move up the table a little more to make ourselves safe in League Two.

As to "blindly lashing out at people", anyone who gives up the ghost and says they hope we get relegated, is not a true supporter to me, and I will let him know, as I have already done.

Oh and btw, are you the forum police?  Who do you think you are to suggest I should stay off this forum for a while!  And another thing, you cannot determine a mans frame of mind just by reading text on a Forum page.

Reply: 126 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Lol, you're joking right?  It's not me that said I'm "fooking the team off", I'm not, because I am a true supporter who has supported this team for 73 years.  I'm not happy that we are losing games so often, but frustrated, no.  I live in hope that we can still move up the table a little more to make ourselves safe in League Two.

As to "blindly lashing out at people", anyone who gives up the ghost and says they hope we get relegated, is not a true supporter to me, and I will let him know, as I have already done.  

When was the last time you went to BP?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 168
February 11, 2024, 11:43am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

When was the last time you went to BP?

I'm disabled and live in Barton, I cannot attend BP or any other stadium because of the disabilities I have.  I watch every match on Mariners TV and donate money to the club as and when I can afford it.  Does that satisfy your question?

Reply: 128 - 168
friskneymariner
February 11, 2024, 11:44am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Quoted from 123614

Oh and btw, are you the forum police?  Who do you think you are to suggest I should stay off this forum for a while!  And another thing, you cannot determine a mans frame of mind just by reading text on a Forum page.

Oh the irony, the irony,does this deluded idiot ever reads what he posts.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I'm disabled and live in Barton, I cannot attend BP or any other stadium because of the disabilities I have.  I watch every match on Mariners TV and donate money to the club as and when I can afford it.  Does that satisfy your question?

It does, thank you. My wife is disabled & would love to come to games with me but it’s just not possible.

The reason I asked was that what you are hearing on the board is becoming representative on how many supporters who go week in & week out are feeling.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 168
It Bites
February 11, 2024, 11:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,214
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Hagrid

Ginny helped build the fanzone, and has gone for years and years

Im rapidly falling out of love with football in general, it doesnt give me a release from other avenues as it once did. Im in the position- like Ginny- of not renewing my ST next season should we go down. I’ve had a season ticket since i was 8 years old. I’m 28 now, doesnt mean I wont still be a fan.

I go to the football in the main to be happy, to feel part of something, to detach from a life where in the main im very troubled and very lonely. Im at the point now where I go to the game and come away feeling worse.

You shouldnt be so aggressive to people Bear, everyone has their own reasons

Love your post . Life is bloody hard at the moment for working class people with a family . Football at Blundell park  hasn’t made me happy for years . It’s depressing in its self , it’s soul destroying trying to get behind something that doesn’t move forward . I’m old fashioned and I don’t count non league success as anything other than a given ( that play off campaign was brilliant) but it wasn’t at BP . BP for the most part is a depressing dump . Bit like me I guess
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 168
February 11, 2024, 11:47am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It does, thank you. My wife is disabled & would love to come to games with me but it’s just not possible.

The reason I asked was that what you are hearing on the board is becoming representative on how many supporters who go week in & week out are feeling.

And I am seeing all the games they see, also all the away games that some of them maybe don't see.  

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's disability, life sucks sometimes.
Reply: 132 - 168
StacyColdicotts_hairline
February 11, 2024, 11:53am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
must be terrible for the fans that started watching Grimsby only in the last 20 years. Its been abject failure after abject failure.

Take Hagrid for example, cant even remember when we were a Division 1 team but probably remembers post double relegation years, Slade, nick Laws, Buckley Reborn and the 8 straight defeats.......

Depressing stuff

when will things finally settle at this club ???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 168
mariner91
February 11, 2024, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262

Absolutely spot on. That and the fact only Rose can head it out of our attacking players means that it’s very difficult to go long so in effect we’re stuck.

Someone else mentioned it but Rodgers and Maher slowly passing the ball back across to each other with neither of them having the böllocks to run forward into any space created or to attempt a pass forward when space is created means we just do nothing. Like you say, it’s suicidal.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 168
DB
February 11, 2024, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I'm disabled and do make the effort to attend BP when the conditions are right for my health. I was probably 1 of the few people at the London Stadium, for the promotion game, who was cold throughout and exhausted from walking from the tube station to the stadium.

BP has an area for the disabled and I'm sure that if you took the time, planned in advance and spoke to the office at BP arrangements could be made to accommodate you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 168
Mappers
February 11, 2024, 2:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I am pretty reserved in my judgement normally but I'm well p*ssed off with the lot of them manager, players and board so what the more vocal's thoughts are , are more than that I imagine .

Think I will take a break from Town & the fishy for a bit tbh - It's not a healthy hobby sometimes .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 168
ginnywings
February 11, 2024, 2:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 123614

Nothing more needs to be said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

I'm disabled and do make the effort to attend BP when the conditions are right for my health. I was probably 1 of the few people at the London Stadium, for the promotion game, who was cold throughout and exhausted from walking from the tube station to the stadium.

BP has an area for the disabled and I'm sure that if you took the time, planned in advance and spoke to the office at BP arrangements could be made to accommodate you.

I still believe you are far too nice to frequent this message board DB. 🙂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 168
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 11, 2024, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 123614

And I am seeing all the games they see, also all the away games that some of them maybe don't see.  

But you don’t, being at a game live is totally different to watching it on tv. It’s much more emotional and personal when your sat there watching us continually underperform and demonstrate a total lack of quality. At the game it’s much easier to see options players have to pass the ball or move into a position to receive it. Mariners tv doesn’t facilitate any of this.

Plus the additional pain of sitting in an old run down stadium and that dreaded walk back to your car and drive home after yet another defeat. Ultimately it all eats away at you and your enthusiasm for actually attending diminishes bit by bit week by week. I’ve been going for 60 plus years and will go to the Donny game but lose that and that’s me done for this season and there will be no renewal of my season ticket whichever league we are in.

Your probably the most despised poster on here with your continuous bleating for facts and proof and being critical of anyone who dare say anything negative about the club overlooking the fact this is a forum for opinions, banter, humour and the appropriate level of bullshite. Anyway add me to your list of posters who can feck off and I’ll give you no further thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
I've just plucked up the courage to watch the highlights.

What Cartwright did for the first goal is completely indefensible.

I was livid at the game but seeing it again I still can't believe he was so careless and nonchalant with that pass.

Are there any free agent keepers out there?
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 168
ginnywings
February 11, 2024, 3:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic

I was livid at the game but seeing it again I still can't believe he was so careless and nonchalant with that pass.

Think the keeper Artell had at Crewe is a free agent, someone said?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 168
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 11, 2024, 3:16pm
Brandy Drinker

Agree but why oh why did Rodgers turn back and pass it to him when he had twenty clear yards in front of him? I appreciate our midfield don’t show for the ball but he showed, when contributing in the build up to our goal, he can be quite decent on the ball. In those first five or six games he looked like a proper decent footballing centre back well capable of playing at this level. Now he’s a nervous wreck as are most of our defenders who just don’t have the cajones to play Artell ball in front of a baying BP crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 168
IlkleyMariner
February 11, 2024, 3:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Only saw the highlights but didn’t think Cartwright did anything wrong xcept a dreadful kick out for the first

The defence and midfield as a group were fast asleep for the breakaway second.

The third goalscorer had a free header with nobody getting near him.

Build up for our goal, especially Vernham run and shot was good with Eisa being very alert for tap in.

Doubt we will play against a better team this season, so let’s learn and move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 168
DB
February 11, 2024, 3:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I just up the courage to watch the highlights which were very good if you were a Stockport fan. But for town players:-

1/ Don't kick the ball straight at an opposition player.
2/ Stand over the ball until your teammates are ready, at a free kick.
3/ Do not stand and give a forward a free header in the box.

As the team/squad have not learnt from the Tranmere game they could offer to return their wages back to the club as they failed to provide any sort of entertainment/professional ability during the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 168
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Only saw the highlights but didn’t think Cartwright did anything wrong xcept a dreadful kick out for the first

The defence and midfield as a group were fast asleep for the breakaway second.

The third goalscorer had a free header with nobody getting near him.

Build up for our goal, especially Vernham run and shot was good with Eisa being very alert for tap in.

Doubt we will play against a better team this season, so let’s learn and move on

We’re not learning though are we? Turned over yet again, just that this time, it happens to be against top of the league. We’ve done just as poorly against mid table teams like Walsall.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 168
Northbank Mariner
February 11, 2024, 3:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,478
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from 123614

Another non supporter of GTFC, if that's what you think, then you can feck off too!

I'll bite....why don't you f@ck off from this forum, you are becoming about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit!..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 168
grimsby pete
February 11, 2024, 4:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I am disabled too but if I wasn't I could get to a few more matches.

Sometime I think thank God I can not get to the game again after another loss.

I feel for all the regulars having to put up with such garbage on the pitch then again on here.

They have every right to do what they want either go or not to go to any games.

They do not need some moaning old bear telling them to intercourse off.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 168
golfer
February 11, 2024, 5:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,442
Quoted from 123614

Any chance of P M me and letting me know how you manage to see all Town's games on Mariners TV. I am a ST holder but struggle to get to BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 168
1mickylyons
February 11, 2024, 5:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 123614

Your just a boring obnoxious turd go take your face for a sh1t.Unlike you Ginny goes to games and usually posts with a balanced viewpoint. You  are a weapon end of chat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 168
Heisenberg
February 11, 2024, 5:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,072
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Your just a boring obnoxious turd go take your face for a sh1t.Unlike you Ginny goes to games and usually posts with a balanced viewpoint. You  are a weapon end of chat.

He has a point - anyone who claims to be a town fan and hopes we go down to non league again is clearly a w#nker, whether he is a good regular poster or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 5:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer

Any chance of P M me and letting me know how you manage to see all Town's games on Mariners TV. I am a ST holder but struggle to get to BP.

Have you got a smart phone Golfer?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 6:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
As much as it irritates me considering the Pringle incident Challoner is a really good manager, one that Artell could learn from.

Listen to his post match and he had a plan to beat us, Artell’s plan appears to be keep doing the same thing regardless of the outcome.

The other thing iis up until this season we’ve been a bogey team for Stockport but they ended that yesterday, something their manager will be leveraging the f**k out of mentality with his players before the run in to winning the league.

Stockport have spent money on players for sure but they are really well coached.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
As much as it irritates me considering the Pringle incident Challoner is a really good manager, one that Artell could learn from.

Listen to his post match and he had a plan to beat us, Artell’s plan appears to be keep doing the same thing regardless of the outcome.

The other thing iis up until this season we’ve been a bogey team for Stockport but they ended that yesterday, something their manager will be leveraging the f**k out of mentality with his players before the run in to winning the league.

Stockport have spent money on players for sure but they are really well coached.

They were practicing the press in front of the Main Stand in their warm up. Thought at the time it was great attention to detail.
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 168
February 12, 2024, 10:27am
Guest User
Quoted from DB

You should realise that there are different kinds of disabilities, I am not going to discuss mine, however I will say that there is absolutely nothing that GTFC can do to help me attend matches at BP or anywhere else.

Reply: 154 - 168
Mayaman
February 12, 2024, 10:46am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from DB
I just up the courage to watch the highlights which were very good if you were a Stockport fan. But for town players:-

1/ Don't kick the ball straight at an opposition player.
2/ Stand over the ball until your teammates are ready, at a free kick.
3/ Do not stand and give a forward a free header in the box.

As the team/squad have not learnt from the Tranmere game they could offer to return their wages back to the club as they failed to provide any sort of entertainment/professional ability during the game.

The ball came in for the third goal from a badly defended corner.   Why didn't we push out?  Defensive line was static.  Eisa's clearance was as weak as urine too.   A bit of composure there could have changed the face of the game.  I doubt it, but it could have.  Wish I could see Gav's offside from a better angle.

It's all a bit like my workplace.  It's absolute crap and demoralising. However, most of my colleagues can see, it wouldn't take a few tweaks here and there to make it a good place to work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 168
Mariner_09
February 12, 2024, 1:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Leave aside the result on Saturday for a second. My overriding emotions extend beyond losing to top of the table Stockport. I'm thoroughly fed up with supporting the club. Almost want it to go away and pretend it never existed.

In the last 2.5, nearly 3 years, we have changed owners and since then changed and improved the whole ethos and culture of the club. We treat players so much better now, look at Scannell and Pearson as examples for that. Giles Coke was held onto as well and allowed a transition into his post playing career rather than being just cut adrift. We're not hearing stories of contracts being changed as players drive to sign.

Our backroom staff has grown. We now have a proper Strength and Conditioning Coach, a data analyst, a guy whose sole job is identifying players. Ben Davies's role didn't exist previously.

We are staying over before and after for long away journeys now.

The mood in the club shop and ticket office is far more helpful and warm. Although the ticket situation has struggled for big, big games, the system is a massive improvement on what preceded it.

The communication with the fans is so much better, interviews with Humberside, Mariners TV and columns in the Guardians means we're far better informed.

The matchday experience has improved, take the glass panel at the front of the Upper Findus, we've won countless awards for food on match days. Hey, even the Gents in the main stand are no longer truly disgusting!

All of this is an immeasurable improvement on what went before it and yet, on the pitch, after two years of what threatened to bring back genuine, tangible progress, we're back here again. Despite all of the above, it seems like we're incapable of being any better than this.

Scrambling around, hoping we're somehow better than two sides as to avoid a THIRD spell in the Conference. This is seemingly what we've become and it depresses me.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 168
HerveJosse
February 12, 2024, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
Leave aside the result on Saturday for a second. My overriding emotions extend beyond losing to top of the table Stockport. I'm thoroughly fed up with supporting the club. Almost want it to go away and pretend it never existed.

In the last 2.5, nearly 3 years, we have changed owners and since then changed and improved the whole ethos and culture of the club. We treat players so much better now, look at Scannell and Pearson as examples for that. Giles Coke was held onto as well and allowed a transition into his post playing career rather than being just cut adrift. We're not hearing stories of contracts being changed as players drive to sign.

Our backroom staff has grown. We now have a proper Strength and Conditioning Coach, a data analyst, a guy whose sole job is identifying players. Ben Davies's role didn't exist previously.

The mood in the club shop and ticket office is far more helpful and warm. Although the ticket situation has struggled for big, big games, the system is a massive improvement on what preceded it.

The communication with the fans is so much better, interviews with Humberside, Mariners TV and columns in the Guardians means we're far better informed.

The matchday experience has improved, take the glass panel at the front of the Upper Findus, we've won countless awards for food on match days. Hey, even the Gents in the main stand are no longer truly disgusting!

All of this is an immeasurable improvement on what went before it and yet, on the pitch, after two years of what threatened to bring back genuine, tangible progress, we're back here again. Despite all of the above, it seems like we're incapable of being any better than this.

Scrambling around, hoping we're somehow better than two sides as to avoid a THIRD spell in the Conference. This is seemingly what we've become and it depresses me.

Thank gos for glass screens ( paid for buy a grant) and expensive food . Where would we be without them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 168
ska face
February 12, 2024, 2:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
You’d have probably 600 premium seats per match sold as restricted view rather than full price, for a start. Helmet.
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 168
Abdul19
February 12, 2024, 3:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Yeah but if we weren't paying for B corp we could buy a 80 goal a season striker.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 168
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 12, 2024, 3:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Thank gos for glass screens ( paid for buy a grant) and expensive food . Where would we be without them

Not a very intelligent response to what was a very structured and well worded post that reflects many a fan’s feelings at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2024, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

All of that is obviously true and as a lifelong fan I completely share your frustrations.

I suppose the only way of looking at it is Fenty allowed the club to rot, and all the things you mention are now standard practice for a professional football league club. In that sense it has taken this long to get to the starting point.

I am quite an impatient sort so I wanted more to happen, more announcements about the training ground, the future of BP, inward investment but I guess it is a long term thing.

We simply have to avoid the drop though otherwise it doesn't bear thinking about.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 168
HerveJosse
February 12, 2024, 5:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not a very intelligent response to what was a very structured and well worded post that reflects many a fan’s feelings at the moment.

Your right but we have tried more intelligence it hasn’t worked very well so far.

A few irrational rants and rockets up backsides can work wonders at times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 168
rancido
February 12, 2024, 5:22pm

Special Brew Drinker

All of that is obviously true and as a lifelong fan I completely share your frustrations.

I suppose the only way of looking at it is Fenty allowed the club to rot, and all the things you mention are now standard practice for a professional football league club. In that sense it has taken this long to get to the starting point.

I am quite an impatient sort so I wanted more to happen, more announcements about the training ground, the future of BP, inward investment but I guess it is a long term thing.

We simply have to avoid the drop though otherwise it doesn't bear thinking about.

All very true. A lot of work had to be done to the ground which will have swallowed up a fairly substantial amount of money and still more to be spent on the Main Stand this summer. The improvement to the coaching staff will have also meant an increase in the overall wage budget. These were all expenses just needed to drag us into the 21st Century ( finally). They ground costs  make the fans experience better but is hard to quantify in financial return. They coaching staff expense is more of a long term benefit but allows us to keep up with other teams at our level. Yes, The Leech left us in a right mess and knew when to get out.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 168
arryarryarry
February 12, 2024, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

All very true. A lot of work had to be done to the ground which will have swallowed up a fairly substantial amount of money and still more to be spent on the Main Stand this summer. The improvement to the coaching staff will have also meant an increase in the overall wage budget. These were all expenses just needed to drag us into the 21st Century ( finally). They ground costs  make the fans experience better but is hard to quantify in financial return. They coaching staff expense is more of a long term benefit but allows us to keep up with other teams at our level. Yes, The Leech left us in a right mess and knew when to get out.

I don't want to spend anymore of the 21st century in the National League especially with a huge backroom staff.
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 168
chaos33
February 12, 2024, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I honestly think that going back to the national league again would kill off the club’s ideas about evolving and see us shed at least half the fan base. Disastrous from a business and community point of view. It simply must be prevented at all costs. It’s unthinkable.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 168
rancido
February 12, 2024, 6:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I honestly think that going back to the national league again would kill off the club’s ideas about evolving and see us shed at least half the fan base. Disastrous from a business and community point of view. It simply must be prevented at all costs. It’s unthinkable.

It is unthinkable and must be avoided at all costs. Interesting to note that Stockport sunk to low depths of the Non-League football pyramid and look on course to get promoted to League 1 this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 168
ginnywings
February 12, 2024, 7:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from rancido

It is unthinkable and must be avoided at all costs. Interesting to note that Stockport sunk to low depths of the Non-League football pyramid and look on course to get promoted to League 1 this season.

Stockport have a hugely bigger playing budget than we do.

Since their owner arrived four years ago, he has invested massively in the club, writing off millions, and it shows on the pitch. Not one of our players would get in their squad.

They were firmly stuck in non league for years until he came along.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 168
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 7:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Stockport have a hugely bigger playing budget than we do.

Since their owner arrived four years ago, he has invested massively in the club, writing off millions, and it shows on the pitch. Not one of our players would get in their squad.

They were firmly stuck in non league for years until he came along.

Even Leyton Orient (who I never saw as big hitters even  at league 2 level )  lost 75k a week last season , nearly 4 million quid to achieve promotion - even lower league football has become a very expensive hobby .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 168
17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.