Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back

This thread currently has 12,410 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Neilo83
February 10, 2024, 8:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Baffled me when their player went down injured in the first half which resulted in a big break in play - Danny rose {our captain} was over in that area yapping to him and some other of there players and the rest of the team was in our half but not really doing a great deal…. Thought it would be a good time for a coming together to discuss some things like Stockport was doing.

Just feels like there is no togetherness there at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 168
stevethefish
February 10, 2024, 8:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 86
I was born in 1977. My first game was 1983. That i believe is 41 years ago and unless I'm mistaken we have never finished higher than my first season !.

I am worried today. Quite a lot;

1.I live away and went to listen to the match on Mariners TV. It was all muffled, ridiculous and wound me up that I have subscribed to a season pass, but it is not rare for these problems to exist. Not sure really that this is acceptable as a product format yet.

2) I then hear we go one-nil down early and combined with my technical problems, I simply lost interest. Am I bad person?... it actually worried me, apathy... just sheer frustration.. really not like me at all.

3) I look at half time and we are three-nil down and my next door neighbour in Colchester comes to taunt me, I am going to the match on Tuesday and offered to take him and he refused, Rather stay in the warm he says. (In the end, fortunately they let a 92nd minute goal in at Harrogate so I knocked on his door to tell him)

4) Back to half time, I then try and work Mariners TV in second half and all good, apart from it's Stockport commentary talking about how Grimsby are their bogey team and they are grateful to win so easily. Quite simply is that what I paid for? No.

5) I listen to David after the match, I really liked Paul Hurst and bizarrely he and Jon Nolan lived down my mum and dad's road when at Ipswich, but I think everyone all agreed this season didn't quite work out. I do feel a bit for David, I really do. But in some ways, he reminds me of myself and my own early year's experience in business where I come with my own idealistic philosophy. I made mistakes by forcing onto people who are not capable or want to change, too quickly. Is he right, is he wrong who knows?.... but you simply cannot let in 16 goals at home in 4 games and then say we scored 5 versus Notts County as a counter argument. David that needs to stop and that is wrong on your part.

6) I really believe David is honest and trying and I want him to succeed, but tonight he has made his own job far more difficult - a mistake tonight talking about fans. He has enough fires with the players changing to his strategy without accidently creating another problem for himself.

7) I will be there on Tuesday with 9 other friends and family as is it my local match. I've spent a fortune and  want success. But let's look at the data (or facts).. its not so good at the moment, so a slight pivot to protect against relegation might be a more prudent step.

Bottom line is 6 points in last 9 games is unsustainable and frankly unacceptable. We don't need negativity on here; we just need to survive, move on and not self destruct through any kind of ideology.

9) I have immense time for Jason and Andrew. They care and clearly want to improve match day experience and football. Successful people don't like "perceived failure" and they will be really hurting at the moment. It's difficult for them too, what they want is not happening. Trust me, having worked with many multi-millionaires in work, they will be at home now with like a bear with a sore head. So lets' look to their intentions not the current results and keep the faith.

10) Either I'm a silly boy who lives in the south and doesn't go to as many matches as I used to you and rely on listening to the radio / streaming, but in summary I want to say tonight I'm a bit worried and the trends are not good. Risk is growing incrementally weekly. My own apathy is not a good feel or a good look and has to be questioned by me and the club..... Is it simply because I'm getting older and a misery or simply less tolerant of poor performance for whilst the love of my life is ultimately discretional spend? I feel I should be spending far more not less, but something is holding me back.

Let's now pull together and solve this absolute nightmare season. See you Tuesday and hope for 3 points to ease the concern, If anyone wants a cup of tea or beer in Colchester you are more than welcome to DM me.

We must get points Tuesday. Simple as that, because we need to be looking up.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 168
CSLM
February 10, 2024, 8:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Shambles really.
Horrendous first goal, from behind the goal I thought Cartwright should've saved it. Suicide pass in the first place.
Second was schoolboy stuff but the pass across was very composed.
Third was awful to, how was he completely free in the middle of the box? Real quality from Sarcevic though tbf.
Could've been more, very depressing. Definitely not good when the players know that the crowd are against what they've been told to do, understandable as it is.

There was just nothing in midfield whatsoever. They were good at making the pitch as wide as possible but we didn't half make it easy for them. They had some real quality though for league 2.Crazy how every other team seems to have so much space. Cannot just be a coincidence. Oh dear.

Really not sure if it is good or bad that we are playing everyone around us next few games. Guess we will find out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 168
moosey_club
February 10, 2024, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Just watched the highlights.......didn't look any better 😄

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 168
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2024, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I said at the start of the second-half that we need to get the crowd going.  Unfortunately, some had already gone!

The goals given as gifts have been well documented.  I wonder if there is a wider underlying cause for so many errors being made by the players?  This is besides players not good enough to play out from the back or maybe not wanting to.

DA appears no to be inspiring the players or motivating them.  He does not give them confidence, hence they are more likely to make a mistake.

After the last home defeat DA said that the players did not do what he had asked them to do.  Even if true,  they should not be criticised in public.  The buck stops with the manager, even if the players member-up.  

After today he said we were good enough to stay up.  Little evidence to support this bar the points gap to the bottom 2.  He said this even without knowing the other results today, a comment which grates.  

Getting 1 point from 15 at home can never be described as “good enough”.

He deflected incisive questions, highlighting our recent away form as the way forward.  It is always possible that our away form could start to mirror our home form.  God forbid.  DA  was also critical of the fans today.  

Overall, if he was a manager in any business I do not think that he would get the best out of his team.  Worrying times.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 168
ex-merseymariner
February 10, 2024, 9:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Worrying.
Clutching at straws, at least DA made 3 h t  subs, an vernam was impressive.
Andrews and Green did OK, but 4 3 3 doesn't work when your wide men aren't in the game and all 3 of your midfield are quite small.  Yet our tactics didn't change. Even 4 5 1 might have been better.

Holohan and Clifton whilst likeable enough doesn't work, too similar perhaps.

Similarly Rose's constant running is pointless if the other attackers lack energy.  Eisa played better than recently but just seems the opposite of Rose.

Am worried Rose will get injured or/and suspended, and what is the point of bringing the Coventry lad in and giving him the odd 5 mins - he is surely our tallest striker, yet no idea if he's any good. He seemed stuck on the right wing too.....

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 168
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Worrying.
Clutching at straws, at least DA made 3 h t  subs, an vernam was impressive.
Andrews and Green did OK, but 4 3 3 doesn't work when your wide men aren't in the game and all 3 of your midfield are quite small.  Yet our tactics didn't change. Even 4 5 1 might have been better.

Holohan and Clifton whilst likeable enough doesn't work, too similar perhaps.

Similarly Rose's constant running is pointless if the other attackers lack energy.  Eisa played better than recently but just seems the opposite of Rose.

Am worried Rose will get injured or/and suspended, and what is the point of bringing the Coventry lad in and giving him the odd 5 mins - he is surely our tallest striker, yet no idea if he's any good. He seemed stuck on the right wing too.....

Stockport were on the beach by half time. Green did ok but it was a low bar as Thompson and Holohan were dreadful.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 168
oochiad
February 10, 2024, 9:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from LH
Why bother playing the game if we expect to lose it?

I’m a realist. It’s not that difficult to understand, top of the league having a goal difference of 35 against our defence that have let in 20+ goals at home recently………Tuesday and Saturday coming are a totally different prospect though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 168
fishcake63
February 10, 2024, 9:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
i honestly dont think the players rate artell & are unsure how to play out his tactics , dont get me wrong grimsby & paul hurst had run it's course but david artell is not our answer , we need sutton & fgr to keep been crap because we wont win many football matches
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 168
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 10, 2024, 10:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought the full backs were pretty crap and no improvement whatsoever.

Not sure why this post has got so many crosses as they were, on today’s performance, clearly no better and in respect of the left back he doesn’t even have the same quality delivery as Glennon. Yes he had a couple of good runs first half but was guilty of allowing his opponent get behind him on several occasions.

Smith did ok but nothing outstanding and is another who lacks height and physicality and still struggling to understand how either he or Mullarkey are an improvement on Efete. Stockport had 3 guys at least 6 ft 3 ins and look threatening every set piece we literally have no one who is that strong aerially.

As for playing out from the back this just doesn’t make sense at BP as soon as there is one error the abuse and jeers start and players are torn between pleasing the fans or DA, neither as it happens. Plus for this to work you have to have a midfield that wants the ball and is comfortable to receive it whilst under pressure. To be fair to Thompson he did look for the ball but reminded me of the guy we got from Preston(Welch?) completely unfit and passed his sell by date the bloke looked incapable of getting into a jog never mind a sprint. Holohan and Clifton just not good enough and once again I question Clifton’s selection. Even Andrews is far more comfortable on the ball but again doesn’t get round the pitch enough.

Rose is totally isolated and our wide men have no real threat so the ball never stays for more than a few seconds in the opposition’s half.

I questioned the success of the Recruitment Manager a couple of weeks ago and not one of the January signings make me reconsider my opinion that he has added nothing of value to the club.

We are in one hell of a mess and like many I’m sick and tired of going to BP to see utter garbage performances and players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 168
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.