Lincoln Mariner 56
February 12, 2024, 3:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,691
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from HerveJosse

Thank gos for glass screens ( paid for buy a grant) and expensive food . Where would we be without them

Not a very intelligent response to what was a very structured and well worded post that reflects many a fan’s feelings at the moment.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2024, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mariner_09
Leave aside the result on Saturday for a second. My overriding emotions extend beyond losing to top of the table Stockport. I'm thoroughly fed up with supporting the club. Almost want it to go away and pretend it never existed.

In the last 2.5, nearly 3 years, we have changed owners and since then changed and improved the whole ethos and culture of the club. We treat players so much better now, look at Scannell and Pearson as examples for that. Giles Coke was held onto as well and allowed a transition into his post playing career rather than being just cut adrift. We're not hearing stories of contracts being changed as players drive to sign.

Our backroom staff has grown. We now have a proper Strength and Conditioning Coach, a data analyst, a guy whose sole job is identifying players. Ben Davies's role didn't exist previously.

We are staying over before and after for long away journeys now.

The mood in the club shop and ticket office is far more helpful and warm. Although the ticket situation has struggled for big, big games, the system is a massive improvement on what preceded it.

The communication with the fans is so much better, interviews with Humberside, Mariners TV and columns in the Guardians means we're far better informed.

The matchday experience has improved, take the glass panel at the front of the Upper Findus, we've won countless awards for food on match days. Hey, even the Gents in the main stand are no longer truly disgusting!

All of this is an immeasurable improvement on what went before it and yet, on the pitch, after two years of what threatened to bring back genuine, tangible progress, we're back here again. Despite all of the above, it seems like we're incapable of being any better than this.

Scrambling around, hoping we're somehow better than two sides as to avoid a THIRD spell in the Conference. This is seemingly what we've become and it depresses me.

All of that is obviously true and as a lifelong fan I completely share your frustrations.

I suppose the only way of looking at it is Fenty allowed the club to rot, and all the things you mention are now standard practice for a professional football league club. In that sense it has taken this long to get to the starting point.

I am quite an impatient sort so I wanted more to happen, more announcements about the training ground, the future of BP, inward investment but I guess it is a long term thing.

We simply have to avoid the drop though otherwise it doesn't bear thinking about.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 168
HerveJosse
February 12, 2024, 5:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not a very intelligent response to what was a very structured and well worded post that reflects many a fan’s feelings at the moment.

Your right but we have tried more intelligence it hasn’t worked very well so far.

A few irrational rants and rockets up backsides can work wonders at times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 168
rancido
February 12, 2024, 5:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96

All of that is obviously true and as a lifelong fan I completely share your frustrations.

I suppose the only way of looking at it is Fenty allowed the club to rot, and all the things you mention are now standard practice for a professional football league club. In that sense it has taken this long to get to the starting point.

I am quite an impatient sort so I wanted more to happen, more announcements about the training ground, the future of BP, inward investment but I guess it is a long term thing.

We simply have to avoid the drop though otherwise it doesn't bear thinking about.

All very true. A lot of work had to be done to the ground which will have swallowed up a fairly substantial amount of money and still more to be spent on the Main Stand this summer. The improvement to the coaching staff will have also meant an increase in the overall wage budget. These were all expenses just needed to drag us into the 21st Century ( finally). They ground costs  make the fans experience better but is hard to quantify in financial return. They coaching staff expense is more of a long term benefit but allows us to keep up with other teams at our level. Yes, The Leech left us in a right mess and knew when to get out.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 168
arryarryarry
February 12, 2024, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from rancido

All very true. A lot of work had to be done to the ground which will have swallowed up a fairly substantial amount of money and still more to be spent on the Main Stand this summer. The improvement to the coaching staff will have also meant an increase in the overall wage budget. These were all expenses just needed to drag us into the 21st Century ( finally). They ground costs  make the fans experience better but is hard to quantify in financial return. They coaching staff expense is more of a long term benefit but allows us to keep up with other teams at our level. Yes, The Leech left us in a right mess and knew when to get out.

I don't want to spend anymore of the 21st century in the National League especially with a huge backroom staff.
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 168
chaos33
February 12, 2024, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,930
Gold Stars: 360
I honestly think that going back to the national league again would kill off the club’s ideas about evolving and see us shed at least half the fan base. Disastrous from a business and community point of view. It simply must be prevented at all costs. It’s unthinkable.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 168
rancido
February 12, 2024, 6:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33
I honestly think that going back to the national league again would kill off the club’s ideas about evolving and see us shed at least half the fan base. Disastrous from a business and community point of view. It simply must be prevented at all costs. It’s unthinkable.

It is unthinkable and must be avoided at all costs. Interesting to note that Stockport sunk to low depths of the Non-League football pyramid and look on course to get promoted to League 1 this season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 168
ginnywings
February 12, 2024, 7:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from rancido

It is unthinkable and must be avoided at all costs. Interesting to note that Stockport sunk to low depths of the Non-League football pyramid and look on course to get promoted to League 1 this season.

Stockport have a hugely bigger playing budget than we do.

Since their owner arrived four years ago, he has invested massively in the club, writing off millions, and it shows on the pitch. Not one of our players would get in their squad.

They were firmly stuck in non league for years until he came along.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 168
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 7:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

Stockport have a hugely bigger playing budget than we do.

Since their owner arrived four years ago, he has invested massively in the club, writing off millions, and it shows on the pitch. Not one of our players would get in their squad.

They were firmly stuck in non league for years until he came along.

Even Leyton Orient (who I never saw as big hitters even  at league 2 level )  lost 75k a week last season , nearly 4 million quid to achieve promotion - even lower league football has become a very expensive hobby .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 168
17 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.