Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back

This thread currently has 12,407 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Plankton

I don't understand his appointment at all if he can't bring in players through his network, that's surely the boon of having a certain manager, their well established network with players?

I think the owners have been incredibly naive at what going down means and have taken this bloke on a chance. I'd rather us have spent on the cowleys for example as they have a pedigree on making successful teams, aka Lincoln. Lincoln are thriving, new stadium expansion, community buy in, etc...

I’m not sure we’re in a position to recruit a manager who has a network to bring in as we’re not flush and in the bottom 5 of the EFL, why would anyone decent come here? Plus we have a head of recruitment to spot talent 🤷‍♂️

Whilst I get the point about what the Cowley’s did at Lincoln but that’s a different scenario.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 168
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2024, 11:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I suspect he’s not signed players he’s worked with before is due to the fact we’re in a relegation battle, he said as much on Thursday when asked about Kirk.

As a manager he’s only managed 1 club so I wouldn’t expect him to have that big a network of players to fall back on, a lot of his Crewe side are playing at a higher level aren’t they?

I don’t get your point about trust to be honest, the only context where you could use trust as a factor is that the players don’t trust what he’s asking them to do is the right thing.

My point on trust is that he needs someone he can truly trust within his coaching team. As for former players, he was in the Crewe academy set-up for some time before taking on the first team role. Whilst a lot might be playing higher, a lot won't be. I thought he would bring in a couple of players who understood his methods to help bring the existing players along.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 168
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc

My point on trust is that he needs someone he can truly trust within his coaching team. As for former players, he was in the Crewe academy set-up for some time before taking on the first team role. Whilst a lot might be playing higher, a lot won't be. I thought he would bring in a couple of players who understood his methods to help bring the existing players along.

Why can’t he trust Ben & Shaun?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 168
toontown
February 10, 2024, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not sure why this post has got so many crosses as they were, on today’s performance, clearly no better and in respect of the left back he doesn’t even have the same quality delivery as Glennon. Yes he had a couple of good runs first half but was guilty of allowing his opponent get behind him on several occasions.

Smith did ok but nothing outstanding and is another who lacks height and physicality and still struggling to understand how either he or Mullarkey are an improvement on Efete. Stockport had 3 guys at least 6 ft 3 ins and look threatening every set piece we literally have no one who is that strong aerially.

As for playing out from the back this just doesn’t make sense at BP as soon as there is one error the abuse and jeers start and players are torn between pleasing the fans or DA, neither as it happens. Plus for this to work you have to have a midfield that wants the ball and is comfortable to receive it whilst under pressure. To be fair to Thompson he did look for the ball but reminded me of the guy we got from Preston(Welch?) completely unfit and passed his sell by date the bloke looked incapable of getting into a jog never mind a sprint. Holohan and Clifton just not good enough and once again I question Clifton’s selection. Even Andrews is far more comfortable on the ball but again doesn’t get round the pitch enough.

Rose is totally isolated and our wide men have no real threat so the ball never stays for more than a few seconds in the opposition’s half.

I questioned the success of the Recruitment Manager a couple of weeks ago and not one of the January signings make me reconsider my opinion that he has added nothing of value to the club.

We are in one hell of a mess and like many I’m sick and tired of going to BP to see utter garbage performances and players.

Re: the full backs they look to be an improvement simply by not standing out as exceptionally bad defenders. They looked fairly anonymous league 2 full backs, but yes that is an improvement on the 2 who were taking it in turns to put in cataclysmically bad defensive performances.

Agree that Glennon offers more going forward tho. But not mullarkey he is awful at the back and flatters to decieve offensively
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 168
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 12:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
The two current centre backs have been consistently dreadful.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 168
WembleyDouble
February 11, 2024, 12:30am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +17
The biggest challenge between now and the summer is that the spine of our team is dreadful, or at best average (GK, 2 CB’s, 2 or maybe all 3 CM’s). Combine that with the fact they are being asked to play a style of play only the very top teams achieve with any great success, for me explains why we have gone backwards since Artell took charge.

Both CB’s looked like rabbits in headlights every time they got the ball to feet, and had to pick a pass to midfielder, who rarely, if ever showed for them. On top of that they had a very good Stockport teams frontline ready to pounce on any mistake they made, of which there inevitably was a few because either as a unit, or individually they aren’t good enough to do what they are being asked, or well drilled enough to play that way. Probably a mixture of the two.

How the hell we fix that with this group I don’t know. But something needs to change rapidly. These next 2 games are massive and we need to pick up some points and show some serious progress and that we have it in our locker to pick up enough points to keep us safe by May, and that we are learning from our frequent mistakes of gifting teams easy goals.

If we don’t get the points or show progress of fixing errors this week, for me Artell has to go. This is not a time for sentiment or experiment of style. Although today was a tough game and I didn’t expect anything from it the same errors are being repeated too often. We need hard evidence of progress quickly, ideally via the medium of points or we are in deep trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 168
Terry duckworth
February 11, 2024, 1:51am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: -43
Gold Stars: 2
We wasn’t very good today but.will people hold their fire
For goodness sake yes we was excrement but this is the mighty mariners
We will bounce back as always ❤️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 168
fishcake63
February 11, 2024, 7:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from chaos33
The two current centre backs have been consistently dreadful.

Said it all along maher cant or doesn't want to put his head in where it hurts & for a lge 2 cb it's criminal & artell is as much to blame as hurst was in keeping him in team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 168
pontoonlew
February 11, 2024, 7:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from fishcake63

Said it all along maher cant or doesn't want to put his head in where it hurts & for a lge 2 cb it's criminal & artell is as much to blame as hurst was in keeping him in team

In fairness Artell took him out the team at the first opportunity when Tharne came in and I imagine he will again when he’s fit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 168
Mappers
February 11, 2024, 7:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,449
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm also asking myself why he hasn't signed a couple of players he's worked with previously. I'm not sure that he can trust anyone, his coaching staff were forced upon him and all of our signings appear to have been players the Head of Recruitment had been monitoring for a while.

Jack Lester wanted Alan Buckley to come be his assistant at Chesterfield. Buckley turned it down but told him that his assistant manager had to be somebody that he could trust implicitly as many assistant managers want the managers job.

I know Crewe are doing well and all . But if Artell was so highly thought of within the game , from players he's worked with before and had success with previously he would have pulled off the Charlie Kirk signing wouldn't he ?

Thought it was telling he went back to Crewe tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 168
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.