Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 40 Guests

Mental Health

This thread currently has 21,442 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
April 1, 2021, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Sandford1981

I think it’s really important to remember there are differences between being down about something  as opposed to being medically depressed.

It’s also worth noting that being anxious about something is not the same as suffering with anxiety.

I don’t mean to sound patronising as I’m sure you know the difference and you’re only trying to be helpful (as usual I may add), but naysayers always target people as if they’re playing a ‘card’ when they confuse being unhappy with something rather than being genuinely ill with a mental health disorder.

That was the reason for my post.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 340
Rick12
April 2, 2021, 6:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981

I would imagine these figures would look even more alarming if they added to them the amount of children who self harm, not as a way to end their lives but as a coping mechanism to deal with their problems.
Shocking  statistic where I read 2 years ago that 25% of teenage girls had self harmed  for not feeling adequate looks wise eg comparing themselves to glossed up women in magazine articles etc .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 340
Rick12
April 3, 2021, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
On BBC news today. Iam glad the police found this on instagram " teenage suicide group" and raised awareness on it via national news.Children are vulnerable in teenage years and this is totally the wrong outlet and escape. From my experience with working with affected youth they need to realise there is always hope no matter how bad things seem in the present moment(relevant to wider circles as well).Keep fighting and never give in to the darkness which can affect some more than others in this life. Good will eventually prevail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56617838

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 340
Sandford1981
April 3, 2021, 3:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
That makes my heart sink!

Imagine living in a society in which there are sufficient numbers of teenage girls with suicide ideation that it’s possible to create a ‘group’ on social media. Not only that but there are numbers in that group that are then willing to cause themselves serious harm together.

Such a sad indictment of where we find ourselves.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 340
Rick12
April 3, 2021, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
That makes my heart sink!

Imagine living in a society in which there are sufficient numbers of teenage girls with suicide ideation that it’s possible to create a ‘group’ on social media. Not only that but there are numbers in that group that are then willing to cause themselves serious harm together.

Such a sad indictment of where we find ourselves.
Yes its so sad to read. What is especially hard is for the parents who have to deal with the after effects of suicide. Just imagine burying your own child due to hanging or  jumping in front of a train etc. Its hard at any age yet more so when there children.

My heart goes out to all the parents of such cases and those who have lost someone to suicide older . I hope from the bottom of my heart they find peace somewhere.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 340
DB
April 3, 2021, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
On BBC news today. Iam glad the police found this on instagram " teenage suicide group" and raised awareness on it via national news.Children are vulnerable in teenage years and this is totally the wrong outlet and escape. From my experience with working with affected youth they need to realise there is always hope no matter how bad things seem in the present moment(relevant to wider circles as well).Keep fighting and never give in to the darkness which can affect some more than others in this life. Good will eventually prevail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56617838

I have just read this. I find it very hard to understand why the owners, Facebook, of the online site, do nothing. It's more or less knowing that a child is going to jump in front of a train/ car etc. and do nothing. Legally they may be right but morally they are the pits.

Facebook has no morals or cares about anybody's welfare or life. I don't do social media but the control of it by the government is far too lax. 7 figure fines for suicide deaths coming directly or indirectly from children dying using social media should be brought in. Sounds a severe fine but at the cost of a life it has no significance, merely a loss of profit on a sheet of paper.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 340
Rick12
April 3, 2021, 7:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

I have just read this. I find it very hard to understand why the owners, Facebook, of the online site, do nothing. It's more or less knowing that a child is going to jump in front of a train/ car etc. and do nothing. Legally they may be right but morally they are the pits.

Facebook has no morals or cares about anybody's welfare or life. I don't do social media but the control of it by the government is far too lax. 7 figure fines for suicide deaths coming directly or indirectly from children dying using social media should be brought in. Sounds a severe fine but at the cost of a life it has no significance, merely a loss of profit on a sheet of paper.
I dont really like facebook either. I used it for a bit then deactivated. I only use wattsapp now.

I think a lot more can be done though in schools to tackle bullying in all in its forms though like racism has in recent years . From talking to youngsters there's a lot of bullying that goes on due to someone's weight/looks/ social standing and even academic ability which is just as damaging as racist abuse . Some teachers are not always tough on the issue and even add to the problem  though granted not all thank God and some are better than others in dealing with it . If left unchecked these issues can get worse over time for the victim and  result in suicidal tendencies and suicide attempts .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 340
Stadium
April 4, 2021, 12:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
And then we have ridiculous decisions such as the below which doesn't help at all.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/measures-close-humber-bridge-move-5262002

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 340
DB
April 4, 2021, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium
And then we have ridiculous decisions such as the below which doesn't help at all.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/measures-close-humber-bridge-move-5262002

I agree with you. All the bridge team is doing is moving the problem. They are solving nothing, what's more, they may push pedestrians to use the road causing more problems!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 340
Sandford1981
April 20, 2021, 8:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.