Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 15 Guests

Mental Health

This thread currently has 21,177 views. Print
35 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
October 22, 2020, 4:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Mental health has many different guises and can effect anyone of us at any given time, to different degrees.
Whatever form it takes, the effects can be unique and devastating to the sufferer and their families, because mental illness is rarely encountered only by the direct sufferer of it.
The coronavirus pandemic has focused a lot of minds on psychological illness and although not ideal, the attention can be a good thing.
What has surprised me is just how pervasive it is. The sharp focus of Ian Holloway’s friend committing suicide has demonstrated this, with a large amount of contributors highlighting their own struggles or those of people close to them.
As I mentioned on that particular thread I have ongoing issues. I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder, suffer from bouts of depression and have toiletry issues around leaving the house. That sounds funny but it’s a pain the bottom (excuse the pun) however, I’m not above being needled about it either for those that may feel the need. Humour I feel is important and sometimes laughter whilst it may not be the best medicine, it can be an effective one nonetheless.
I am very lucky to have an amazing partner who supports me but at times I can feel very ridiculous and very alone. I’m aware not everyone has someone and it can be very isolating to have mental illnesses. In itself this becomes a an ever perpetuating cycle.
Connection can be the key to gaining relief and if you are like me I find face to face contact difficult to get treatment for my problems and so a forum is a good safe place in which to communicate with people. The release in realising you are not alone or abnormal can be hugely uplifting and should not be underestimated.
So I am starting this thread purely for people to have a safe space in which they can talk and share and hopefully gain some sort of relief from their mental health battles.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
grimsby pete
October 22, 2020, 4:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
By the sound of things we have the same problems mate.

The toilet thing is a pain in the bottom  and I always want to know were the toilets are when I venture out.

I agree the love of the family helps a lot along with the right medication.

Plus it's good to talk.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 340
Town Monkey
October 22, 2020, 5:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
Apparently I'm a high functioning depressive.  It tends to come and go with me and does necessarily have a trigger.  I can generally disguise it to the outside world when I feel I need to but it's exhausting.  I also find myself regularly self sabotaging, particularly at work.  Namely doing things i shouldn't or putting things off until they're urgent or late.  

I have to say though as someone who has suffered since my teens, there is much more awareness and acceptance now.  Up until recently, I looked after a team of 80 people and I was quite open about my mental health to show people that you never know who might be suffering.  Some of the responses I got from people were amazing and they felt able to open up about their own struggles.  

I agree with you Sandford, when I not at rock bottom and only medication can help, laughter really works.  Talking can as well although I personally haven't found therapy that useful I know for some it's really transformational  

All in all, I'm very lucky that I only have depression (and the anxiety/insomnia that goes with it) and I've managed to live with it on and off for more than 20 years.  Now it weirdly feels really normal to be depressed and therefore I can generally cope ok in the real world or at least function when I need to. .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 340
Sandford1981
October 22, 2020, 5:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

The toilet thing is a pain in the bottom  and I always want to know were the toilets are when I venture out.

Pete, I go through good times and bad with it but its really hampered travelling and doing things I'd ordinarily love to, as in I have stopped virtually and have a just a few 'safe' spots / areas. I know it is something I am eventually going to have to conquer but I do find it ridiculously difficult to talk face to face with people about it as I find it emotional and fear breaking down.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 340
Sandford1981
October 22, 2020, 6:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Town Monkey
Apparently I'm a high functioning depressive.  It tends to come and go with me and does necessarily have a trigger.  I can generally disguise it to the outside world when I feel I need to but it's exhausting.  I also find myself regularly self sabotaging, particularly at work.  Namely doing things i shouldn't or putting things off until they're urgent or late.  

I have to say though as someone who has suffered since my teens, there is much more awareness and acceptance now.  Up until recently, I looked after a team of 80 people and I was quite open about my mental health to show people that you never know who might be suffering.  Some of the responses I got from people were amazing and they felt able to open up about their own struggles.  

I agree with you Sandford, when I not at rock bottom and only medication can help, laughter really works.  Talking can as well although I personally haven't found therapy that useful I know for some it's really transformational  

All in all, I'm very lucky that I only have depression (and the anxiety/insomnia that goes with it) and I've managed to live with it on and off for more than 20 years.  Now it weirdly feels really normal to be depressed and therefore I can generally cope ok in the real world or at least function when I need to. .  

That does sound exhausting, the toilet situation with myself is fairly recent occurrence owing to an 'incident' travelling home from a weekend away but I suffered for a long while. I too found it such a drain to put on a front to function in work and social situations and it really can take its toll. The quote from the Joker movie 'The worst part of having a mental illness is that people expect you to act as if you don't!' sums it up quite nicely, because even if people didn't expect that, personally speaking that has at least been my perception of what people want.

As far as treatment goes - its finding the right set of things that works for you. As with illness there is generally not a one size fits all approach that works.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 340
AussieMariner
October 22, 2020, 6:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
I am starting a course in early November called Introduction to Peer Counselling. It’s one day a week for 6 weeks, so not full on but I’m hoping to learn more about about how to help people suffering from this insidious disease, which can take many forms.
I’m also about to start co-facilitating a program called Head Space through a charity in Leeds that I’m involved in. This program is also based on peer counselling principles.
The reason for my interest is that someone very close to me had (and still has) severe mental health issues resulting in a form of dementia. This put me personally under great pressure and I consider myself extremely lucky to have not suffered severely myself. As I’ve spoken to others about my situation I’ve been amazed at how many people have responded with their own stories. I believe this is a massive problem in society which is largely hidden due to the on-going stigma associated with mental health.
I’ve learnt to think of mental health as similar to physical fitness. If we don’t exercise and eat well we become less fit. It’s easy for this to spiral out of control resulting in severe health issues. The mind is just another organ, and if we don’t keep it ‘in shape’ even minor issues can create pressure which develop into stress leading to anxiety and other more serious problems. The course and program I am about to be involved in are designed to help people recognise such issues and learn how to stop them getting out of control.
I’m not positioning myself as an expert - I’m anything but at this stage but as Sandford1981 and Grimsby Pete point out connection with others, and just being able to talk can provide relief.
I applaud Sandford’s initiative in starting this thread and I am sure it will be immensely helpful to many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 340
TheRealJohnLewis
October 22, 2020, 8:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I suffered from depression and anxiety and I used alcohol as escapism, here's a blog I wrote to help others in the Forces.  I am now an MH Ally and an alcohol Advisor, supporting those with alcohol issues.  If anyone needs to reach out for help or assistance please DM me and I'll give you my contact details.

https://www.4-alpha.co.uk/blog/true-stories-the-courage-to-succeed
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 340
promotion plaice
October 22, 2020, 9:15pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for decades, still stops me in my tracks at times even now, just saying.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 340
AussieMariner
October 22, 2020, 9:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I suffered from depression and anxiety and I used alcohol as escapism, here's a blog I wrote to help others in the Forces.  I am now an MH Ally and an alcohol Advisor, supporting those with alcohol issues.  If anyone needs to reach out for help or assistance please DM me and I'll give you my contact details.

Enormously powerful story John
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 340
grimsby pete
October 22, 2020, 11:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

That's some story John keep it up mate you have the strength to do it I am sure.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 340
35 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.