Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, grimsby pete and 19 Guests

Mental Health

This thread currently has 21,644 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
July 13, 2022, 10:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Cod marriner

I have struggled for years and I know this can’t be a normal way to live but yet I talk myself out of getting help by thinking oh it will get better and go away, I somehow just carry on through life feeling lost and confused most of the time simply because I can’t think straight as frustrated with myself all the time with the way I am, maybe it’s called overthinking literally over nothing far too much because I do that an awful lot.
What has helped me is being in nature. Just observing the natural flow of things I've found has been a big healer. Likewise finding a passion or interest is helpful as well as having a good community that supports you .

The saying that has helped me is never loose hope and keep trying to improve mentally and physically.

All the best.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 340
DB
July 13, 2022, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,044
Gold Stars: 390
Sometimes the simplest things to do are also the hardest. Keeping a positive mental attitude is one of them, but it certainly works, and so does talking about your problems.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 340
OddShapedBalls
July 14, 2022, 5:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Cod marriner
So for those on here that have gone through with finding help where did you start? Just go to doctors and talk to them and go from there or is there any recommendations were to go to talk too to find help to see what’s going on?
I think the toughest thing is to accept that you need help and go get it if it’s something you have been suffering from for far too long.
That’s the problem with me, I feel stubborn, embarrassed and maybe too proud to just admit I need help but I guess i’v just said it now so obviously I have now accepted I can’t do this anymore and definitely know I need to find help to help myself.
I have struggled for years and I know this can’t be a normal way to live but yet I talk myself out of getting help by thinking oh it will get better and go away, I somehow just carry on through life feeling lost and confused most of the time simply because I can’t think straight as frustrated with myself all the time with the way I am, maybe it’s called overthinking literally over nothing far too much because I do that an awful lot.

I'm a bit late to this discussion, having only joined a few days ago, so hopefully you've been able to get help since posting this.  Personally I think you've already taken the first- and biggest- step by acknowledging there is an an issue and asking how to go about dealing with it so feel proud about that. Many people never take that step.

I'll try and  keep it short and sweet with my experiences in getting help:   I went to my GP and they referred me to mental health.  They straight up told me then and there that it's probably a 3-4 month wait before I'd even get a phone call to discuss my situation, BUT they could give me anti-depressants that day to at least help with the symptoms until we could get to the cure.  Now I only did the minimum 6 month run on the pills because I didn't like them, but they certainly helped in the short term.  I got the phone call 2 months later, the phone call itself was a massive help and they then referred me to further help.  The system was slow, but after about a year on from originally seeing my GP I felt like a normal human again.  You have to acept going in that there is no quick fix, and be prepared to act on suggestions- no matter how crazy they sound.

Whilst complaining during that process about the shoddy system taking so long at work, a work mate suggested I tag along with him to his veterans support group that he ran. I went.  It changed my perspective on everything.  Hearing how a guy is coping after having his eye shot out by the taliban, and the work prospects of an IED survivor with half the limbs he used to have, really made my issues seem more manageable by comparison and I learned/realised just how much I could actually take control of my own issues.  

There's loads of people who are actually qualified/experienced enough to help you, but you asked what other people had done and that's what I did.  Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything more personal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 340
DB
July 14, 2022, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

I'm a bit late to this discussion, having only joined a few days ago, so hopefully you've been able to get help since posting this.  Personally I think you've already taken the first- and biggest- step by acknowledging there is an an issue and asking how to go about dealing with it so feel proud about that. Many people never take that step.

I'll try and  keep it short and sweet with my experiences in getting help:   I went to my GP and they referred me to mental health.  They straight up told me then and there that it's probably a 3-4 month wait before I'd even get a phone call to discuss my situation, BUT they could give me anti-depressants that day to at least help with the symptoms until we could get to the cure.  Now I only did the minimum 6 month run on the pills because I didn't like them, but they certainly helped in the short term.  I got the phone call 2 months later, the phone call itself was a massive help and they then referred me to further help.  The system was slow, but after about a year on from originally seeing my GP I felt like a normal human again.  You have to acept going in that there is no quick fix, and be prepared to act on suggestions- no matter how crazy they sound.

Whilst complaining during that process about the shoddy system taking so long at work, a work mate suggested I tag along with him to his veterans support group that he ran. I went.  It changed my perspective on everything.  Hearing how a guy is coping after having his eye shot out by the taliban, and the work prospects of an IED survivor with half the limbs he used to have, really made my issues seem more manageable by comparison and I learned/realised just how much I could actually take control of my own issues.  

There's loads of people who are actually qualified/experienced enough to help you, but you asked what other people had done and that's what I did.  Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything more personal

Unfortunately, mental health is the poor man of the NHS. Cuts, bruises, operations etc all have money but if it's in the head it doesn't matter as much. Politics doesn't matter either, they are all the same as it not vote material.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 340
chaos33
July 14, 2022, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
I consider myself really lucky to have received a course of therapy via counselling and also a prescription of anti depressants. Slowly things got a little better and I tried to rebuild my shattered sense of worth. I needed to do this for my kids. Meanwhile I devoured lots of research and books and accepted my friends’ offer of talking and listening. It’s not over for me, but I pulled myself back from the brink, and I was scared stiff I would end up killing myself or just fading away after suffering parental abandonment and suicide. There are always people who will listen and support you.. There are some people on here who contacted me, whom I didn’t know and have never met, who said …‘’I’m here for you. Talk to me anytime’. I was so touched by that. There is a support network there who won’t let you go under.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 340
codcheeky
July 14, 2022, 9:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from DB

Unfortunately, mental health is the poor man of the NHS. Cuts, bruises, operations etc all have money but if it's in the head it doesn't matter as much. Politics doesn't matter either, they are all the same as it not vote material.

https://keepournhspublic.com/austerity-wrecking-mental-health/

Politics do matter, let’s not pretend Tory austerity and cuts since 2010 have had no effect. Waiting lists for every type of health problem and especially mental health have risen under this government, year on year real term cuts mean people are not being treated. I was not a fan of Blair but he did get waiting lists right down and invest properly in the NHS after years of Tory neglect.
This is one area there is clear space between the two political parties.
We currently have a leadership battle centered on who will cut tax for the rich, and businesses most, no one is mentioning or asked about the NHS or mental health, it is just not important enough to be on their agenda.
They are not all the same , parroting this falsehood does no one but the wealthy who opt for private health care any favours
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 340
DB
July 15, 2022, 4:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

https://keepournhspublic.com/austerity-wrecking-mental-health/

Politics do matter, let’s not pretend Tory austerity and cuts since 2010 have had no effect. Waiting lists for every type of health problem and especially mental health have risen under this government, year on year real term cuts mean people are not being treated. I was not a fan of Blair but he did get waiting lists right down and invest properly in the NHS after years of Tory neglect.
This is one area there is clear space between the two political parties.
We currently have a leadership battle centered on who will cut tax for the rich, and businesses most, no one is mentioning or asked about the NHS or mental health, it is just not important enough to be on their agenda.
They are not all the same , parroting this falsehood does no one but the wealthy who opt for private health care any favours

What I was trying to say is that in comparison with 'Medical' health Mental health has very little spent on it. Mental health is about long-term care ( months or even years ) whereas other health care is about medication, operations, physio etc, which in many cases takes days or a few months.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 340
Sandford1981
July 25, 2022, 3:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Love him or loathe him, it’s great to see and hear another high profile athlete ‘banging the drum’ with another positive message regarding male mental health.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/mixed-martial-arts/62294354

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 340
DB
July 29, 2022, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It's good to see taking an interest.

https://gtfc.co.uk/teaming-up-to-tackle-mental-health/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 340
Rick12
July 30, 2022, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from chaos33
I consider myself really lucky to have received a course of therapy via counselling and also a prescription of anti depressants. Slowly things got a little better and I tried to rebuild my shattered sense of worth. I needed to do this for my kids. Meanwhile I devoured lots of research and books and accepted my friends’ offer of talking and listening. It’s not over for me, but I pulled myself back from the brink, and I was scared stiff I would end up killing myself or just fading away after suffering parental abandonment and suicide. There are always people who will listen and support you.. There are some people on here who contacted me, whom I didn’t know and have never met, who said …‘’I’m here for you. Talk to me anytime’. I was so touched by that. There is a support network there who won’t let you go under.
Brave of you to share your story Chaos publicly. Glad you have pulled yourself back from the brink of suicide.Respect and love to you ❤️🕯️.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.