Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tom Shutes
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 187 Guests

Tom Shutes

This thread currently has 51,414 views. Print
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
May 8, 2020, 1:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Did you not read Rich’s sentance after the one you highlighted Mimma? That says clearly what he’s uneasy about.

And care to answer my previous question about your claim (and Day’s claim) that Shutes has done this media thing before.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 239
KingstonMariner
May 8, 2020, 1:16am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mimma
I have my reservations over Shutes and his grandiose ideas. If it's the first GTFC have heard of this, then I bet it's the first that ABP, or whoever owns the land, have heard  of it as well.Has Shutes and his team done any feasibility study on this?  The Freeman Street proposal has the backing of the owners of the land, and the council, and it is cleared and ready to go.

As for the financing, do you think for one minute that the board have dreamed up this scheme without looking into how it can be paid for? They will have spent many hours in discussions will the relevant people to come up with a method of financing it, drawing on the experiences of other clubs that have relocated.It's only like you and me buying a house, only there's more noughts on the end. If everyone thought of how much their house costs, nobody would ever buy a house.

They’ve been very quiet about how they were going to do it. They/Fenty pursued the Great Coates plan years after it was all obvious it was a non-starter commercially, and then Peaks Parkway with no clear plan (just vague statements about ‘enabling development’, which never appeared).

I’ve got no less confidence in Shutes’ dream scheme than I have in the Fentydome. Everything you said about Shutes applies to Fenty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 239
May 8, 2020, 2:54am
Guest User
Given the uncertainty surrounding football, this shabbily governed country, and the post-Covid world, it's tough to believe any 'grand scheme' is definitely do-able.

I cannot foretell the future (my record backing horses proves this   ) but it's not hard to imagine that football crowds will dwindle given the recession which
is coming and people don't have the cash to watch. Lower league football may have to become substantially part-time, perhaps. Some clubs will fold.

Any proposal which assumes historic income streams or relies on borrowed money should be a non-starter.
If Shutes has got the cash, then that's a different matter.
But if he has got the cash it wouldn't appear too difficult to show the Town board a few bank statements.
It still looks to me like there's only the idea there, without the wherewithal.

I've seen Shutes described as "businessman", "entrepreneur" and "altruistic".
These are unlikely bedfellows for an ageing cynic like myself. (I'd love to be wrong)

Yes, I hope it could happen...but as we all know, it's the hoping that kills you.
Reply: 52 - 239
ska face
May 8, 2020, 6:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from mimma

As for the financing, do you think for one minute that the board have dreamed up this scheme without looking into how it can be paid for?

The evidence would suggest this is the case, yes.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 239
Bigdog
May 8, 2020, 12:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
As is his right, Tom Shutes has finally given us an overall view of his plans for a new stadium. By going public after all of this time and also during this pandemic, he must be more confident of delivering the project than a lot on here give him credit for. Too many people look at things from their own microeconomic point of view rather than expanding their minds into being more macroeconomic. Small town mentality kicks in far too often along with new stadium fatigue (inflicted by the incumbents not TS himself) and it's why Grimsby gets left behind as a backwater. Shutes has put a little more meat on the bone and it's now up to him to deliver or be left looking foolish. And my gut instinct is that he's no fool and is far more well connected than the current board, far more visionary and far more able to raise the necessary finance. He's had one say in the press and that's it so far. Our current board, who at the minute, have hung their hat on Peaks Parkway and failed, hung their hat on Freeman Street and asked fans at a forum if anyone has got a spare 20 mill (which isn't enough anyway), promised Championship football within three more years, still write season ticket holder details in an exercise book.and refer to our current majority shareholder as the "main man" having bankrolled the club over twenty years for the princely sum of a third of one season's turnover and he still wants that back too have controlled the narrative on a new stadium, delivered nothing, on occasions have been downright disrespectful and reading between the lines putting a far higher standard of future takeover funding than they could ever dream of putting together themselves. I'd like to see more of what Shutes has to offer before I can get fully on board with his project and welcome the fact that we still have another potential option. The odds on favourite is that we'll still be in BP in ten year's time but my gut tells me that Shutes is a strong second to deliver a new stadium (and one that we can be rightly proud of) and our current board a poor last (with a Poundland shoe box effort)..

Lets not be quick to dismiss Shutes, let's be patient and see what else he has to say in the future and let's not believe everything our board has to say as the gospel truth as their words can only be written from their own personal viewpoint. The world hasn't ended with Covid, government coffers may dry up, but there's plenty of investors with deep pockets out there looking to get more bang for their buck post pandemic..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 239
Stadium
May 8, 2020, 12:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Ridiculous reply, balanced & reasonable.
Why can't you just dimiss the idea & tell him were to go.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 239
pen penfras
May 8, 2020, 12:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog
As is his right, Tom Shutes has finally given us an overall view of his plans for a new stadium. By going public after all of this time and also during this pandemic, he nust be more confident of delivering the project than a lot on here give him credit for. Too many people look at things from their own microeconomic point of view rather than expanding their minds into be more macroeconomic. Small town mentality kicks in far too often and it's why Grimsby gets left behind as a backwater. Shutes has put a little more meat on the bone and it's now up to him to deliver or be left looking foolish. And my gut instinct is that he's no fool and is far more well connected than the current board, far more visionary and far more able to raise the necessary finance. He's had one say in the press and that's it so far. Our current board, who at the minute, have hung their hat on Peaks Parkway and failed, hung their hat on Freeman Street and asked fans at a forum if anyone has got a spare 20 mill (which isn't enough anyway), promised Championship football within three more years, still write season ticket holder details in an exercise book.and refer to our surrent majority shareholder as the "main man" having bankrolled the club over twenty years for the princely sum of a third of one season's turnover and he still wants that back too. The club have controlled the narrative on a new stadium, delivered nothing, on occasions have been downright disrespectful and reading between the lines putting a far higher standard of future takeover funding than they could ever dream of putting together themselves. I'd like to see more of what Shutes has to offer before I can get fully on board with his project and welcome the fact that we still have another potential option. The odds on favourite is that we'll still be in BP in ten year's time but my gut tells me that Shutes is a strong second to deliver a new stadium (and one that we can be rightly proud of) and our current board a poor last (with a Poundland shoe box effort)..

Lets not be quick to dismiss Shutes, let's be patient and see what else he has to say in the future and let's not believe everything our board has to say as the gospel truth as their words can only be written from their own personal viewpoint. The world hasn't ended with Covid, government coffers may dry up, but there's plenty of investors with deep pockets out there looking to get more bang for their buck post pandemic..

Unless it's covered by a NDA, then it absolutely is not his right. You claim to have been involved in lots of business, have you ever heard of somebody entering into negotiations like this without a NDA in place?

As for the takeover and them pursuing a new stadium, I think that's what everybody wants. But first questions need answering like how much is it going to cost and what is the financial implication for the club. That information was requested well over a year ago and hasn't been answered. Would you really be ok with the club being sold to people that are promising a new stadium that could cripple the club without any explanation of how they're going to fund it. The board clearly know how difficult funding a project is, let alone one of the scale of the docks proposal.

Also, Holloway has spoken very fondly of "squeaky" and the way the club is run, and has signed up to  us as a project. I'm not so sure he'd be happy to work with a group of unknowns that might not agree with his vision for running a club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 239
Bigdog
May 8, 2020, 1:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

Unless it's covered by a NDA, then it absolutely is not his right. You claim to have been involved in lots of business, have you ever heard of somebody entering into negotiations like this without a NDA in place?

As for the takeover and them pursuing a new stadium, I think that's what everybody wants. But first questions need answering like how much is it going to cost and what is the financial implication for the club. That information was requested well over a year ago and hasn't been answered. Would you really be ok with the club being sold to people that are promising a new stadium that could cripple the club without any explanation of how they're going to fund it. The board clearly know how difficult funding a project is, let alone one of the scale of the docks proposal.

Also, Holloway has spoken very fondly of "squeaky" and the way the club is run, and has signed up to  us as a project. I'm not so sure he'd be happy to work with a group of unknowns that might not agree with his vision for running a club.

A Non Disclosure Agreement works both ways and the club haven't been silent either have they? The club is now not up for sale so I guess the NDA no longer stands. Shutes was the one who was silent when it was in place and got castigated for not saying anything..

And I know people are asking questions, but give the man some time. Let's just embrace the fact that there's another IDEA on the table at this stage. Any of the questions that are being asked of him can't be answered by our current board at the minute and they've being incumbent for twenty years. Shutes has only had eighteen months or so and probably is waiting for the right time to answer every single one, when all of his ducks are in a row and deliver what we've all been waiting for. Let's just be patient and respectful for now. It will either be everything we could wish for or nothing at all. Time will tell..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 239
Stadium
May 8, 2020, 1:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from pen penfras

Dear me,I think IH will have worked with more persons in this area than "squeaky" could have dreamt of.
Very closed thinking,no wonder progress has stalled for decades.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 239
Rik e B
May 8, 2020, 1:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Why can't they all just be friends and more the merrier investors wise like Lincoln?

Or, I haven't thought this through and plenty chance for things to go awry, but a Stadium Management company led by Shutes seperate to GTFC? With a 100 year unbreakable contract so don't get shafted with extornate rent and homeless, we basically live there for free, have shares in income streams or summits.

I dunno just chucking it out there if there a safe and mutual lly be be ficus way to do something similar?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 239
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tom Shutes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.