Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tom Shutes
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 178 Guests

Tom Shutes

This thread currently has 51,388 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
May 11, 2020, 10:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from mimma
Hello again Harry

I have said on an earlier thread that the board will not have gone to all this trouble if they don't have a financial plan in place.

grants are available from various sources, and they can get a loan or mortgage for the rest.They would have thought it through before committing themselves. They will have a plan!! A massive leap of faith here. Philip Day had a blank piece of paper and was asking if anyone had a spare 20 mill only in February. So no plan in place and since then PD has stated that a new stadium is way down the list of current priorities.

Freeman Street has the backing of the land owners, Question mark who owns the land needed as stated by JF himself the council (for a change) and the area itself is ready to go.Maybe so, but what about funding? Shute's plans doesn't have any of these. That's just guesswork without any knowledge on your part at all. He's been involved with the New Town Deal from the start [/i] The biggest problem as I see it, is getting the land. It is a prime dockside site, and will be priced as such. Throughout all the dockside saga ABP have remained steadfastly silent on the subject, giving the impression that they are not keen on the idea. [i]Again a completely unfounded emotional assessment speaking on ABP's behalf. Silence is not always a negative and if I was a betting man, I would say through the Town Deal that Shutes has had more than one or two meetings with ABP.

As a matter of interest, where does the latest Shutes plan say anything about filling in any dock? This was mentioned during the first plan he put forward, but that was at the other end of the docks to his latest release.Filling in any dock would be a huge undertaking on its own, and very expensive on top of buying the land. Wasn't it all guesswork and rumour the fish dock location was based upon? Shutes hasn't released anything before this week to the press.

You give the board all the unfounded credit in the world and dismiss Shutes without any evidence. The truth is that the board haven't got a pot to pisss in and Shutes has released some pretty pictures. I'm not writing anyone off and I'm not getting excited either. A little bit of hope maybe but that's the limit of my expectations. I just think you need to give Shutes a little more respect at this moment in time and probably have a little less blind faith in the GTFC board when it comes to stadium relocation...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 239
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 11, 2020, 10:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The Shutes plans are a load of very pretty cobblers, just the same as all the other bright ideas about “regenerating” the docks area. The cost would be astronomical and the outcome would be laughable. It would be a 7 day wonder than a ghost town. Who is going to travel to the end of the world to sit in a freezing cold wind round a marina or make a round trip of miles to visit a converted ice house?

The football part looks OK but the Shutes notion has the same basic flaw as Great Coates and the Parkway - Building the ground depends on conning persuading some rich investors that the dock area is a good investment. It isn’t. If it was so viable then ABP would have done it years ago.

No doubt somebody will get on about Hull but do some checking beforehand about the footfall around their dock area and retail.

A new ground will have to stand on its own feet and not depend on some fly by night housing or retail or culture scheme. It can be connected but building the right stadium must not be dependent which is what Shutes proposes and what was wrong with both Great Coates and Parkway.

I’ve already said before I don’t trust the board to do the goods but I don’t trust Shutes or any such scheme as this either. We forget too easily the euphoria there was on here about Parkway and the nonsensical plans of that fairytale company. A lot of us took a lot of flak at the time for simply pointing out that the scheme was not fit for purpose for the club and was not what the town needed. Any objector was accused of Nimbyism, not wanting the best for the club but the objectors DID want the best and were right. The same applies here. It would take a lot more than some pretty CGI to convince me that this scheme could be any more than a half-arsed plan designed as a profit maker for some developer.

That is not to say that Freemo is as yet any better or that the board have it right, I think they have a better chance of getting it right ...... whether they take it or not is quite another matter!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 239
Boris Johnson
May 11, 2020, 11:24am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Id have a bit more time in Shoots, if Id actually seen him at a game.

Does anyone know if he is actually a 'proper fan', you know the one you can count on for an inflatable in a big game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 239
forza ivano
May 11, 2020, 11:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Id have a bit more time in Shoots, if Id actually seen him at a game.

Does anyone know if he is actually a 'proper fan', you know the one you can count on for an inflatable in a big game?

He's not a football fan,And he doesn't disguise the fact.he's interested in the redevelopment of Gy and it just happens that GTFC is a big part of that.
Ps I was told that there had been some changes at the top of ABP and they were interested in making use of their land rather than just sitting on it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 239
grimsby pete
May 11, 2020, 11:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
If Shutes bought the club would be attend any games or will be remain living in London ?

We had six years in non league and I am certain Fenty did not miss a game .

Long term Ollie is our man with a will and a vision for the future so I am happy to see our present board carry on whenever that might be.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 239
Boris Johnson
May 11, 2020, 11:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from forza ivano

He's not a football fan,And he doesn't disguise the fact.he's interested in the redevelopment of Gy and it just happens that GTFC is a big part of that.
Ps I was told that there had been some changes at the top of ABP and they were interested in making use of their land rather than just sitting on it

not even a football fan?  ah well, I dont suppose its a deal breaker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 239
arryarryarry
May 11, 2020, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
The Shutes plans are a load of very pretty cobblers, just the same as all the other bright ideas about “regenerating” the docks area. The cost would be astronomical and the outcome would be laughable. It would be a 7 day wonder than a ghost town. Who is going to travel to the end of the world to sit in a freezing cold wind round a marina or make a round trip of miles to visit a converted ice house?

The football part looks OK but the Shutes notion has the same basic flaw as Great Coates and the Parkway - Building the ground depends on conning persuading some rich investors that the dock area is a good investment. It isn’t. If it was so viable then ABP would have done it years ago.

No doubt somebody will get on about Hull but do some checking beforehand about the footfall around their dock area and retail.

A new ground will have to stand on its own feet and not depend on some fly by night housing or retail or culture scheme. It can be connected but building the right stadium must not be dependent which is what Shutes proposes and what was wrong with both Great Coates and Parkway.

I’ve already said before I don’t trust the board to do the goods but I don’t trust Shutes or any such scheme as this either. We forget too easily the euphoria there was on here about Parkway and the nonsensical plans of that fairytale company. A lot of us took a lot of flak at the time for simply pointing out that the scheme was not fit for purpose for the club and was not what the town needed. Any objector was accused of Nimbyism, not wanting the best for the club but the objectors DID want the best and were right. The same applies here. It would take a lot more than some pretty CGI to convince me that this scheme could be any more than a half-arsed plan designed as a profit maker for some developer.

That is not to say that Freemo is as yet any better or that the board have it right, I think they have a better chance of getting it right ...... whether they take it or not is quite another matter!

Hasn't every plan since 1995 been pretty cobblers?
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 239
arryarryarry
May 11, 2020, 1:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Ipswin

Unlike Shutes I don't think the current regime have a financial plan and just like Shutes I don't think they have the money either but at least they don't claim to be planning to revive the Ice House and half of the town aswell

Maybe not half the town but wasn't Peaks Parkway going to provide hundreds of houses, some community pitches, a supermarket?
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 239
barrattstandman
May 11, 2020, 2:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
Shutes  net worth is Minus  £4 million . End of .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 239
lew chaterleys lover
May 11, 2020, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from barrattstandman
Shutes  net worth is Minus  £4 million . End of .

Perhaps he is the catalyst for the project not the actual money man.

Fenty has got some money but has done nothing with it.

Nothing would surprise me anymore but it is inconceivable that investors are not part of the overall plans that he has outlined, otherwise why go to the trouble?

As RRFC says neither plan, from the board or Shutes stack up yet. The boards plan involves a cheap as chips option predicated on a move being the answer to all the clubs ills but with no finance in sight. Shutes' plan involves a much greater vision for the club and the town but again where is the money, and do the investors I hope for actually exist?

As the advert on the telly says - "I don't know. Nobody knows!"
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 239
24 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tom Shutes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.