Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"

This thread currently has 24,500 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
May 7, 2018, 9:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I think a number of people have hit on "he can't help it" thing, and it's true. After keeping out of the spotlight for the last few weeks to let MJ get on with the job he has to have his moment of glory. Jeezo John, anypone with a modicum of common sense would have known there would be the inevitable criticism, and rightly so. He had to talk to the manager about someone's contract? Please don't insult our intelligence. Oh, and the next time someone gets banned from being on the pitch at BP......

A professionally worded mea culpa after a week or so following the season's finish would have been so much more dignified, but he can't help it, can he?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 152
Maringer
May 7, 2018, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
As with pretty much all of the non-chairman's statements we've seen over the years, this was completely unnecessary and completely counter-productive.

Whenever Fenty gets the itch to post one of these statements, he should follow 2 basic rules:

1. Don't do it. Really, don't. Nothing good will come of it.
2. Get somebody to proof read/edit the statement but then still don't post it regardless of the time spent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 152
TheCodfather1966
May 7, 2018, 10:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
A long well thought out and articulate meSsage as ever from John Fenty.  If you didn't know better you could be forgiven for thinking this was written by a politician instead of the Chairman.  I would love to buy into this message and take all the positives from it, but sadly, this is the same type of standard message we seem to get at the end of every season.  Its a message to tug at the heart strings and make you go out and buy your season ticket once again.  The reality in my opinion is that not much will change at all.  Better players will be allowed to leave due to finance, and replacements will be sought of a cheap nature, and we will build a squad that will hold its own and nothing more.  Deep down behind closed doors I am quite sure that Fenty's opinion of the Town fans is rather similar to the Town fans opinion of him.  I must say though, that when you are taking constant abuse and flack, you are entitled to let off a bit of steam, so I personally don't blame Fenty for the odd outbreak of anger.  The bottom line in all of this is that we do need some forward thinking new Board with the finance and ambition to take the club forward to their natural position in the scheme of things, which  in my opinion would be mid table league one.  Throw in the odd cup run and the jobs a good' un.

I am not a Fenty fan in any shape or form, but to all the Fenty out brigade, be careful what you wish for.  Nobody else has stepped up to the plate in the last few years, and until such time, we are better off keeping the club stable.  The club needs Fenty more than Fenty needs the club........ UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 152
LondonMariner43
May 7, 2018, 10:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
There are good and bad elements to this statement.  

Some positives that supporters of Fenty will highlight.  Some negatives that haters will highlight.

For me the important thing is this.  At the moment, no-one has come forward to buy the club. No one wants to front up a supporter ownership.  For the time being, we are stuck with the status quo.

The one clear positive of JF is that he is a fan and fall all his mistakes, he wants the club to do well.  He has that in common with the rest of us.

There is very little to be gained from a toxic atmosphere between owners and fans particularly if we have reasons to be optimistic on the pitch.  

Let’s back MJ and the players and keep our views of the Board for a grumble in the pub and not make it a reason for discontent at games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 152
Grim74
May 7, 2018, 10:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Scraping the barrel when he gets criticised for his grammar FFS. I like that fact it's not perfection If he'd had it speech written they'd accuse him of Fraud.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 152
pen penfras
May 7, 2018, 10:23am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jock dock tower
He had to talk to the manager about someone's contract? Please don't insult our intelligence.

But it's not that hard to conceive of a situation where he had to do that. McKeown obviously has interest from elsewhere and the situation needs resolving promptly. Maybe MJ has said what he wants to do the day before and the board need to discuss it. The board are at the match, discuss it and then JF goes to speak to MJ and put the offer across before they get on the coach, where it's not the appropriate place to discuss it in front of the rest of the squad. It's hardly far fetched.

He probably should have known better than to go to the fans, but they were beckoning him over and we know he wants to be open to fans. I'd like to see how the holier than thou brigade on here would respond in the same situation being called a liar and abused in the same way.

What really grates me, is that we can't just move on and support for next season. It's no coincidence that the upturn in form has come when the supporters have got behind the club and the whole atmosphere has been positive. The last couple of home games I've been to have been the best support I can remember.

I don't expect people to change their opinion, but this air of negativity hurts everybody. It's all well and good stomping your feet for JF to leave, but there's nobody to step in at the moment and success isn't going to come about by continually saying negative things. If everybody gets behind the team and continues the great support, I think Jolley could work wonders next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 152
GrimRob
May 7, 2018, 10:31am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
There are good points if you look for them, rather than dwell on the negative as some on this thread are prone to do. At least we get an explanation for the thinking behind not sacking Slade earlier, they nearly made a fatal mistake but to be fair I think few people anticipated such a dramatic nosedive as we had.

The Community Events are a good idea but the last one turned into a bit of a farce. Most of the suggestions for changes were batted off, but it's good to see at least some initiatives being taken on board like earlier season tickets and the new scheme for Exiles. They are never going to grant every wish, but the board do listen, and there can't be many clubs where the views of the supporters are as scrutinised as they are on here at times.

The regime change thing sounds a bit half-hearted. While it's all very well saying contact SM, it's far from encouraging and almost an offhand comment. There's no real evidence anyone has been approached. They may well have been but that's the way it comes across.

The biggest plus point though is that we have a manager everyone is behind for the first time for years (other than the first few days of the new manager's reign). It's the most excited I have felt about a new season for years, and am genuinely interested to see who he signs whereas a year ago I was expecting a few solid if unspectacular signings and a quest for a mid-season berth. I really do feel we'll be challenging at the top end next year, and can't wait to see the bookies prices as I am expecting long odds for promotion.

It's only two years ago that we had one of the most memorable ends to a season in years. Success and this board are not mutually exclusive. After two years in the wilderness I feel a good season is around the corner again.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 152
bax
May 7, 2018, 10:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
No matter what has or hasn’t been said, all this does is divide the fan base again as soon as the manager has started to pull us all together. And it’s that bit he doesn’t and never will get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 152
ska face
May 7, 2018, 10:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from pen penfras

But it's not that hard to conceive of a situation where he had to do that. McKeown obviously has interest from elsewhere and the situation needs resolving promptly. Maybe MJ has said what he wants to do the day before and the board need to discuss it. The board are at the match, discuss it and then JF goes to speak to MJ and put the offer across before they get on the coach, where it's not the appropriate place to discuss it in front of the rest of the squad. It's hardly far fetched.

He probably should have known better than to go to the fans, but they were beckoning him over and we know he wants to be open to fans. I'd like to see how the holier than thou brigade on here would respond in the same situation being called a liar and abused in the same way.

What really grates me, is that we can't just move on and support for next season. It's no coincidence that the upturn in form has come when the supporters have got behind the club and the whole atmosphere has been positive. The last couple of home games I've been to have been the best support I can remember.

I don't expect people to change their opinion, but this air of negativity hurts everybody. It's all well and good stomping your feet for JF to leave, but there's nobody to step in at the moment and success isn't going to come about by continually saying negative things. If everybody gets behind the team and continues the great support, I think Jolley could work wonders next season.

oh fuuuuuuuuuucccckkk ooooofffffffff with this.

Everyone IS behind Jolley and the team, but not everyone is happy for Fenty to embarrass the club at every single opportunity.

The good form has also coincided with him keeping his head down and his mouth shut, why can he never learn?

How many more times?
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 152
forza ivano
May 7, 2018, 10:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Have to say I found it more positive than negative.slightly better written and more contrite than his usual offerings. The bit i didn't understand was the expense of getting rid of want away players.how is getting rid of players a huge expense? Also be still didn't explain why no players were signed in january,bar loanees, when he said that the board had given slade funds to make signings.I
I can sort of see his reasoning on slade and saturday, but I just hope that someone can be a restraining influence on him as we are stuck with him for the foreseeable.
As has been said many times before please just keep your mouth shut and let day jolle y and the trust do the talking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 152
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.