Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 4 Guests

John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"

This thread currently has 24,275 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 7, 2018, 10:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
What have we learned from that?

1) The board is going nowhere and take no responsibility for yet another appalling, error strewn season, on and off the pitch. The latest in a very long, and tiresome, line of bad seasons.

2) Statements are not proof read. "Wheeled the axe" ?

3) It could have been a lot worse. We could have been as sh1t as some other sh1ttier clubs that are more in the sh1t than we are.

4) We can't all be Lincoln or Bristol Rovers. Only other clubs know how to get it right first time and build on a success.

5) JF has skin as thick as a Rhino.

6) I will not be purchasing a season ticket.

I am sure Lincoln and BR supporters would be surprised to know their clubs got it right first time!

If Jolley takes us to the play-offs next year will we have got it right first time too?

I am in sympathy with the view that a Fentyless club would be a more harmonious club ....... but whether it would be more successful depends entirely on what happens after the apocalypse does it not? If Accrington fail to set L1 alight, will they have had it right? Success needs planning, the club needs to plan for Jolley AND whatever comes post-Jolley. Knee jerk never got a club anywhere in the long run.

Noticeable that while the bad run was going there were lots of blame posts and posts demanding apologies for Slade’s appointment. When Jolley started doing well the few posts of praise for the board were at best grudging. We all know that really the board have been sh!t lucky to survive the season in one piece. The luckiest bit was not being able to appoint the manager they wanted.

There are two facts of life in football. One is that money does matter especially if your club is situated in the middle of the North Sea. The other is luck and a combination of board, manager and players plus fans. To get all 4 going the same way at the same time can rest on one moment like a penalty in the last minute. Score it and you create a completely new atmosphere of confidence. Miss it and the whole thing can fall to bits no matter how good or bad the separate parts may be.

When he retires from playing, Mitch Rose should be stuffed and mounted in the boardroom at BP as a reminder for every meeting in there how close the club was to another disaster and why upwards ambition is the primary requirement in a football club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 152
HackneyHaddock
May 7, 2018, 10:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Should he have gone on the pitch?  No
Should he have been issuing a statement in the dead of night, that hadn't been proof-read or checked for content by anyone?  Again, probably not.

Having said that, we know he's someone who is first and foremost a Town fan, someone who wears his heart on his sleeve and can't help himself.  He's emotional.  He has fits of passion.  He gets things wrong.  He acknowledged he's only human.  It's getting to the stage where the re-hashed reaction to these mishaps (I'm guilty of this for sure) is getting as tiresome as the mishaps themselves.

I'm just so glad to be still in the league with a brilliant manager and having a great season to look forward to in 2018/19, I'd rather just concentrate on the positives:  The exiles scheme, the community activities, the great manager, and all pull together on the bits where we agree?

No player wants to sign for a crisis club, and no manager will want to stay at one for very long, so I'm very happy, as someone who wants JSF to go sooner rather than later, for him to take a back seat as he has done for the last few months and be a silent, benign dictator.  He can concentrate on putting together his exit strategy, other directors and staff can step up and be a better public face of the club, and the fans can concentrate on backing the team.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 152
jimgtfc
May 7, 2018, 10:58am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +4,973
Gold Stars: 38
I think as fans we need to be sensible about this situation now. It’s clear that something at the top of the club needs a change but we have to realise that it’s not a simple process. Those telling Fenty to get out now have to see that it doesn’t work like that and wether you like it or not the club would suffer if the current board just packed up their offices and left never to be seen again. Say what you like about John Fenty but he’s a Grimsby Town fan through and through and there’s not a chance he would knowingly place the club in danger by walking away without leaving a new structure to take over.

He’s now publicly stated that he’ll leave if there’s someone to take over, so we’ll just have to be patient and wait. In the mean time we’ve got an exciting young manager to get behind and support and maybe we’ll have something to really excited over on the pitch come August.

Hopefully now he’s had his say in latest statement, he’ll keep quiet for the summer and let Michael Jolley do the talking on the football side of things.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 152
lew chaterleys lover
May 7, 2018, 11:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,499
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Should he have been issuing a statement in the dead of night, that hadn't been proof-read or checked for content by anyone?  Again, probably not.

Having said that, we know he's someone who is first and foremost a Town fan, someone who wears his heart on his sleeve and can't help himself.  He's emotional.  He has fits of passion.  He gets things wrong.  He acknowledged he's only human.  It's getting to the stage where the re-hashed reaction to these mishaps (I'm guilty of this for sure) is getting as tiresome as the mishaps themselves.

I'm just so glad to be still in the league with a brilliant manager and having a great season to look forward to in 2018/19, I'd rather just concentrate on the positives:  The exiles scheme, the community activities, the great manager, and all pull together on the bits where we agree?

No player wants to sign for a crisis club, and no manager will want to stay at one for very long, so I'm very happy, as someone who wants JSF to go sooner rather than later, for him to take a back seat as he has done for the last few months and be a silent, benign dictator.  He can concentrate on putting together his exit strategy, other directors and staff can step up and be a better public face of the club, and the fans can concentrate on backing the team.  

This latest farcical statement and Saturdays episode on the pitch shows that your last paragraph is just wishful thinking sadly, however much we would all agree.

Despite Jolley, despite our great escape I feel as flat as a pancake at the thought of more Fenty years to come. He is a parody of himself; a caricature like John Shuttleworth but not nearly as funny.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 152
GrimRob
May 7, 2018, 11:14am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,339
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

Grammarly would go a long way. 10 critical issues in the statement which the free version picks up and another 36 advanced issues which you need the paid version for.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 152
Vance Warner
May 7, 2018, 11:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
If you're that desperate to sell the club John name your price. At the very least clarify whether you would expect your loans to be paid back or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 152
lew chaterleys lover
May 7, 2018, 11:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,499
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from GrimRob

Grammarly would go a long way. 10 critical issues in the statement which the free version picks up and another 36 advanced issues which you need the paid version for.

Who cares? He is not going anywhere so what is the point? 15 years of poorly written communications are not going to stop anytime soon, the same as the way the club is run will not change anytime soon whilst he stays. It is a big blow that he is no nearer leaving, and all we can do now is wait for the next almighty member up; the first chance he gets will see Jolley running for the hills.    
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 152
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 7, 2018, 11:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

This latest farcical statement and Saturdays episode on the pitch shows that your last paragraph is just wishful thinking sadly, however much we would all agree.

Despite Jolley, despite our great escape I feel as flat as a pancake at the thought of more Fenty years to come. He is a parody of himself; a caricature like John Shuttleworth but not nearly as funny.

Like you say - despite Jolley I too feel that way but it was predictable. once the threat of relegation was over I think we all knew deep down that JF would carry on as though it was just a blip and the sun will come out tomorrow.

If we are to be a yo-yo club we must aim to be doing that between the Championship and L1. There has to be a long term plan for what happens on the field and sod the Fentydome. Dare I say it, we need to be more like Scunthorpe United in our planning but that is why I too feel flat about it all. Fenty sees our horizons as being limited to the Accrington scenario - good manager, cheap squad, good run at the right time. We should be planning a future for a club that works almost regardless of who is the manager.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 152
headingly_mariner
May 7, 2018, 11:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,264
Quoted from Vance Warner
If you're that desperate to sell the club John name your price. At the very least clarify whether you would expect your loans to be paid back or not.

This is a key point. He needs to clarify what is happening with the loans and how much he wants. My feeling is he wants his money back which won’t happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 152
headingly_mariner
May 7, 2018, 11:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,264
Another statement after another wholly unnecessary and innapropriate incident. How about a bit of humility? An apology and acceptance he shouldn’t behave like that. Admitting that mistakes have been made and lessons learned could bring people together. Trying to say it’s not my fault and people say mean things is not up to scratch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 152
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.