Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"

This thread currently has 24,568 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
May 7, 2018, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner

This is a key point. He needs to clarify what is happening with the loans and how much he wants. My feeling is he wants his money back which won’t happen.

He doesn't really want to sell though does he? In his eyes he is one successful season away from vindication. We are stuck with him till either we get some success and are more attractive to new buyers, or fall back into non league when even he would recognise failure and give it up.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 152
jonnyboy82
May 7, 2018, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Fans fault.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 152
Kris2
May 7, 2018, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136

He doesn't really want to sell though does he? In his eyes he is one successful season away from vindication. We are stuck with him till either we get some success and are more attractive to new buyers, or fall back into non league when even he would recognise failure and give it up.

He wants to sell but he wants to remain in charge under a new owner and not lose his place on the board where he has the most say.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 152
lew chaterleys lover
May 7, 2018, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Kris2

He wants to sell but he wants to remain in charge under a new owner and not loI can't believe nobody has come forward se his place on the board where he has the most say.

It is difficult to believe no one has snatched his hand off with such an attractive offer on the table..
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 152
Bigdog
May 7, 2018, 1:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
John Fenty is going nowhere. Nothing except maybe relegation to non league is going to stand in the way of his dream of running a football club. And if you read through the statement, it's pretty much about him, his excuses (not apologies) and his feelings. Half of our our fans fall for it time and time again. It's like having to go see your kid every week at your ex-missus house because you love your kid. The same ex-missus that's cheated right in front of you on numerous occasions, rubbed it in your face, slagged you off and never apologised but you still have to hand over wads of cash to her because you'll never want to stop seeing the child you love.

We all want the team to do well and it probably will next season and maybe the season after that until Jolley leaves.

But the team is not the club. And it's the club, its infrastructure and board ethos that's struggling and even though we've got Jolley it will still hold us back to some degree in attracting new players and new fans. It's alright ignoring it because there's a bit of hope next season, but what do we fall back on when our team isn't any good and we've got a useless manager again? What sort of club is there going to be for our kids and grandchildren? I bet a non-investing Fenty's here in ten or twenty years (if the club survives) saying and doing the same things and having everyone over a barrel like he has done for years. He's nailed his dream down because he wants £3m for a club that's not even worth a quarter of that price. That statement last night was full of non and half truths and not a single acceptance of wrongdoing in a one of the most shameful,board-driven turbulent seasons ever witnessed.

I find it fine if fans just want to watch football season after season and not look to the long term, but there's a good number of us that also think and worry about the long term too. Nothing has moved the infrastructure of our club forward in the past twenty years and the board haven't got a vision for the future but because we can see some green shoots of progression on the pitch, suddenly everything in the garden is rosy?

Let's get excited about Jolley, but let's not forget that as a whole our club is still a dinosaur in a fast progressing football world where just about every club is leaving us well behind and we'll end up on the non-investment Fenty budget train (that only John's allowed to drive) to nowhere eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 152
arryarryarry
May 7, 2018, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob
There are good points if you look for them, rather than dwell on the negative as some on this thread are prone to do. At least we get an explanation for the thinking behind not sacking Slade earlier, they nearly made a fatal mistake but to be fair I think few people anticipated such a dramatic nosedive as we had.

The Community Events are a good idea but the last one turned into a bit of a farce. Most of the suggestions for changes were batted off, but it's good to see at least some initiatives being taken on board like earlier season tickets and the new scheme for Exiles. They are never going to grant every wish, but the board do listen, and there can't be many clubs where the views of the supporters are as scrutinised as they are on here at times.

The regime change thing sounds a bit half-hearted. While it's all very well saying contact SM, it's far from encouraging and almost an offhand comment. There's no real evidence anyone has been approached. They may well have been but that's the way it comes across.

The biggest plus point though is that we have a manager everyone is behind for the first time for years (other than the first few days of the new manager's reign). It's the most excited I have felt about a new season for years, and am genuinely interested to see who he signs whereas a year ago I was expecting a few solid if unspectacular signings and a quest for a mid-season berth. I really do feel we'll be challenging at the top end next year, and can't wait to see the bookies prices as I am expecting long odds for promotion.

It's only two years ago that we had one of the most memorable ends to a season in years. Success and this board are not mutually exclusive. After two years in the wilderness I feel a good season is around the corner again.

I think a fair few of us on here after the Morcambe game were saying that there was only one way this club was heading with Slade in charge so I don't believe that bullshit from Fenty.

After a excrement season he shouldn't have engaged with the fans after the win and he shouldn't have issued yet another dismal statement he should have just shut the intercourse up.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 152
arryarryarry
May 7, 2018, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
I think as fans we need to be sensible about this situation now. It’s clear that something at the top of the club needs a change but we have to realise that it’s not a simple process. Those telling Fenty to get out now have to see that it doesn’t work like that and wether you like it or not the club would suffer if the current board just packed up their offices and left never to be seen again. Say what you like about John Fenty but he’s a Grimsby Town fan through and through and there’s not a chance he would knowingly place the club in danger by walking away without leaving a new structure to take over.

He’s now publicly stated that he’ll leave if there’s someone to take over, so we’ll just have to be patient and wait. In the mean time we’ve got an exciting young manager to get behind and support and maybe we’ll have something to really excited over on the pitch come August.

Hopefully now he’s had his say in latest statement, he’ll keep quiet for the summer and let Michael Jolley do the talking on the football side of things.

I have to ask the question why?

I don't read the club accounts so can you tell me exactly how much the current board (excluding the Trust) have put into the club this current or last season?
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 152
Bigdog
May 7, 2018, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have to ask the question why?

I don't read the club accounts so can you tell me exactly how much the current board (excluding the Trust) have put into the club this current or last season?

£0

Took £200k+ out..

But some fans actually believe that JF pays the wages..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 152
MuddyWaters
May 7, 2018, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
The argument with the fans? Why? This statement? Why?

The truth is that most of the things that the board have been involved with this season have gone wrong. Bragate, Checkatrade, Fans Forum, SLO, getting recorded slagging the fans off (twice) etc.

The next truth is that the only reason for optimism is a new manager who was, dependent on rumours, second or third choice.

Would you really have been 'trigger happy' to fire Slade in January? No - listen to Danny Collins' interview last week - he clearly states that we were getting lucky before Christmas. He also clearly identifies one of the changes that MJ has made is interaction with senior players. Things were starting to break down even before the 20 game winless run - is it not incumbent on the board to make decisions rather than 'hope' things turn around?

We (the fans) know how much GTFC means to you Mr Fenty - but you aren't on your own. We crave success as much as you do - I suggest that now you've got a hungry and ambitious manager on board that you give him the support that the Cowleys seem to have had at Lincoln before he thinks that his time would be better spent elsewhere.

Who knows, you might get some fans back on board that way rather than looking to justify the past.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 152
arryarryarry
May 7, 2018, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
"Rightly or wrongly, I have taken a hell of a lot of flack in recent years"

"Wrongly" nearly 15 years of shite and he suggest wrongly.

Was there even one word of apology for nearly leading the club out of the Football League for the second time?
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 152
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › John Fenty: "A Message To Our Supporters"

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.