Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jeremy Corbyn
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 158 Guests

Jeremy Corbyn

This thread currently has 46,533 views. Print
34 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
September 18, 2015, 3:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer

I don't really agree that anything much needed to be said about why he didn't sing the national anthem. As you note, everyone knows he's a republican. Spin doctors might think an announcement such as you suggest would have been a good idea but I think, on balance, if he's going to avoid the whole spin thing as much as possible (which would be good, in my opinion), then the comments he made were fine.

[/b]It's surprising how you always think the worst of left-wing politicians, isn't it? Why one earth would you imagine he would be lying about thinking about his late parents in a memorial service about events in the Second World War? Just bizarre and the idea that this somehow shows he's not suitable for office is risible.[b]

However, I certainly think he should stick to his guns so it's a pity that he has ceded to the pressure and will apparently sing the national anthem at future events.

Another thing which is surprising so far is how little support he's received from within the PLP. The criticism he received about "Sing gate" from the lady member of his own Shadow Cabinet (Green, I think? Can't remember her name) was just astonishing. As the saying goes, it's better to be on the inside of the tent pissing out than the outside pissing in. In this case, it seems there are some on the inside pissing in as well.

On another note, I was amazed to see that Peston was claiming that he'd heard rumours some Labour MPs were considering crossing the floor to join the Conservatives! Career suicide for anybody even contemplating it, surely? In a similar vein, I notice that Allam is reportedly offering to fund Labour MPs to set up a new party or join the LibDems. Just how much of an idiot is that man, or is he looking to become a Tory peer?

Why do I think the worst of left wing politicians? Because in a nutshell they a bunch of Hand wringing, limp wristed, anti English, politically correct out of touch bigots!!!  Which reminds me what's your take on Diane Abbott?

And I don't believe for a moment that Corbyrn was thinking about his parents at all, a load of bullshit! he was in Corbyrn protest mode! What he should of been thinking about as a matter of respect was our brave soldiers, and as far as I'm aware his parents wasn't climbing in to cockpits during the war not knowing if they would be coming back again, they was probably hand wringing down the tube.

I take your point on Allam though he's a total head case he's more mIxed up then Liz Kendall, if I was farage or Bennet I'd definitely be tapping him up for a donation, the mans got more money then sense.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 334
Maringer
September 18, 2015, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,519
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Grim74

Why do I think the worst of left wing politicians? Because in a nutshell they a bunch of Hand wringing, limp wristed, anti English, politically correct out of touch bigots!!!  Which reminds me what's your take on Diane Abbott?

And I don't believe for a moment that Corbyrn was thinking about his parents at all, a load of bullshit! he was in Corbyrn protest mode! What he should of been thinking about as a matter of respect was our brave soldiers, and as far as I'm aware his parents wasn't climbing in to cockpits during the war not knowing if they would be coming back again, they was probably hand wringing down the tube.

Snigger. I'm guessing you're trolling there because nobody could seriously think all left-wing politicians matched that description. Nobody with half a brain, in any case. I certainly wouldn't be as daft as to claim all right-wing politicians were corrupt, ignorant self-serving, fascistic narcissists. Just the ones in the cabinet!  

Diane Abbott isn't a very impressive politician on the national stage but then neither are most of the Tory cabinet ministers. I'd imagine she is a decent enough MP for her constituents which is all that counts in the longer term for a politician. I'd say she's certainly got a strong stomach because how else could you spend so many hours in a studio with the likes of Neil and Portillo listening to them spout various degrees of vacuous bullshite about the politics of the moment? I suppose she probably spouts her own vacuous bullshite on that programme as well so that will help take her mind off things.

A quick google shows that Corbyn's father was an electrical engineer who worked for the MoD during the war and was also a member of the Home Guard. His mother was an air raid warden. So, in other words, both served their country. They we also anti-fascists was well and reportedly fought in the Battle of Cable Street. Sound like a pretty admirable pair to me.

Good to see you're still going to the effort of trolling.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 334
Marinerz93
September 18, 2015, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from LH
Maybe you should move to North Korea if you think everyone should sing the national anthem when they hear it?

When you are representing others you do, and North Korea have a supreme leader who is misunderstood  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 334
Marinerz93
September 18, 2015, 7:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Gibber.

Corbyn is indeed an atheist republican so criticising him for not singing, "God Save the Queen" (surely the worst of all national anthems), is bloody ridiculous. Moral fibre? Oh, please. For those that are claiming his failure to sing the song shows disrespect to the airmen who fought and died in the Battle of Britain, please point out to me anywhere in the lyrics of the song that praises any part of the British armed forces? Nothing there last time I looked. I don't sing the national anthem either because the fact that somebody happened to drop out of one particular girl private rather than another doesn't make them deserving of my allegiance or respect. I'm actually similar to Corbyn in many respects - republican, but don't really care about getting rid of the monarchy as I think they are probably a decent draw for foreign tourists. Would be nice if they paid a bit more in the way of taxes, however, so hopefully we'll see a Land Value Tax implented at some point or another and the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas won't find themselves exempt from paying it. For what it's worth, I think the Queen has always been very conscientious about her duties and is an admirable woman. Most of her offspring, on the other hand, tend towards the talentless parasite end of the scale.

A comparison of Corbyn and GWB is the most bizarre thing I've read on here today. One is a long-term parliamentarian who has served his constitutuents well and lives parsimoniously, sticking to his principles. The other was a rich-kid playboy who dodged the draft thanks to his wealthy parents and, in part thanks to his father's status and family's wealth, was somehow able to get himself elected as president of the US. He proceeded to start various disastrously-managed wars around the world which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, completely screwed up any minor stability in the middle east, oversaw the radicalisation of tens or hundreds of thousands of Islamists around the world due to his dreadful foreign policy and almost destroyed the US economy through right-wing economic lunacy. If you seriously think those two have anything at all in common, I want something of what you're smoking.

It is almost inevitable that Ireland will be united some day or other - the Catholic population is expanding, the Protestant population is declining so it seems likely that, at some point, there will be a considerable majority who wish to reunite (I do realise that many of the Catholics currently classify themselves as British, however). Probably several decades away at the very least before there is any chance of this occurring. Just hope that the current problems bubbling up over there can be resolved because nobody wants to see a return to the bad old days which looks like a real possibility at the moment.

Doubt that Corbyn will be able to make too many inroads in Scotland. That ship has sailed now and I can't see any way that the Scots won't be independent some time within the next 10 or 15 years. Probably sooner rather than later. However, a left-leaning coalition featuring Labour/SNP/Greens/Plaid Cymru ought to be just about achievable at some point in the future. As I've said in the past, a lot depends on whether or not the Tories manage to avoid another financial crash before the next election. I'd personally guess there is a better than 50/50 chance we will see one which would obviously be especially disastrous since most parts of the country haven't recovered from 2008 as yet, in great part thanks to the Tory policies.

I have to say, the onslaught in the media against Corbyn since Saturday has been even more rabid than I expected and, remarkably, the BBC and the Guardian seem to be almost at the forefront of it. I can understand it with the BBC which has been veering rightwards since 2010, but some of the stuff printed by the Guardian just beggars belief with many of the columnists looking to be trying out their best Daily Mail journalist impression.

I do tend to doubt Corbyn will be able to win an election but the fact he's got all areas of the establishment attacking him over the most banal of perceived misdeeds shows just how worried they are, which must surely be a good thing.

Wow you've changed my mind what a glorious leader Corbyn is and would be, someone who has sworn allegiance to the Queen but won't sing the 'National Anthem' what a guy.  For all I care the national anthem could be singing about Roses or spuds, he is representing UK Plc and that comes with certain responsibilities that have to be fulfilled.

Corbyn is likely to get cosy to SNP and negotiate Scottish Independence to get into Downing Street.  Then he can abide by his republican dream of, off loading Northern Ireland, then apologising and offering the Scots billions in damages for oppressing them hundreds of years ago whilst Northern Ireland descends into civil war.  But hey he's got a groovy beard and likes to whistle dixie

The Catholics and Protestants have been at each since well before 1690, if you think that they will want to become part of a united Ireland with it's debt, lack of financial clout and Rome rule I can see why you think Corbyn should be the one to sort it out, him and his chum think the IRA are heroes.  If Northern Ireland descends into civil war it will bring Scotland and then England into it.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 334
mariner91
September 18, 2015, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Marinerz93

Wow you've changed my mind what a glorious leader Corbyn is and would be, someone who has sworn allegiance to the Queen but won't sing the 'National Anthem' what a guy.  For all I care the national anthem could be singing about Roses or spuds, he is representing UK Plc and that comes with certain responsibilities that have to be fulfilled.

Corbyn is likely to get cosy to SNP and negotiate Scottish Independence to get into Downing Street.  Then he can abide by his republican dream of, off loading Northern Ireland, then apologising and offering the Scots billions in damages for oppressing them hundreds of years ago whilst Northern Ireland descends into civil war.  But hey he's got a groovy beard and likes to whistle dixie

The Catholics and Protestants have been at each since well before 1690, if you think that they will want to become part of a united Ireland with it's debt, lack of financial clout and Rome rule I can see why you think Corbyn should be the one to sort it out, him and his chum think the IRA are heroes.  If Northern Ireland descends into civil war it will bring Scotland and then England into it.

What a load of guff. Why on earth would there be a civil war in England? As for not singing the national anthem, who the feck cares?! It's not a sign of moral fibre as you've so bizarrely stated and if anything, it would show less moral fibre if he backed down and started singing against his beliefs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 334
Marinerz93
September 18, 2015, 10:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

What a load of guff. Why on earth would there be a civil war in England? As for not singing the national anthem, who the feck cares?! It's not a sign of moral fibre as you've so bizarrely stated and if anything, it would show less moral fibre if he backed down and started singing against his beliefs.

Exactly why GB is in the state it is in, less national pride and less understanding of why things come to be. I'm sure someone will write a thesis on it for you but will evade the point to suit their own agenda.

You see sectarianism is not confined to Ireland it is prevalent in Scotland and in parts of England.

Corbyn as leader is representing not only the people who voted him in but the system he has willingly accepted as part and parcel of his role in governing and selling the UK.  Is it not hypercritical to swear allegiance to the queen but not sing the national anthem.

Private Message
Reply: 95 - 334
Marinerz93
September 18, 2015, 10:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm no Corbyn supporter but what a lot of nonsense that is. Why would singing the national anthem be a sign of moral fibre? I'd have thought sticking to his beliefs and not singing it was a much greater show of moral fibre. As for him not winning any seats in Scotland - what exactly is your rationale for that one?

Fair comments and my rationale for him not winning any seats in Scotland is down to the Scottish electorate no longer trusting Westminster.
Too many broken promises and they know that more votes for SNP is means more devolution and powers for Scotland.  They are already better off per person when it comes to government spending so things can only get better for them if they keep SNP as the controlling party.

Private Message
Reply: 96 - 334
mariner91
September 18, 2015, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Marinerz93

Exactly why GB is in the state it is in, less national pride and less understanding of why things come to be. I'm sure someone will write a thesis on it for you but will evade the point to suit their own agenda.

You see sectarianism is not confined to Ireland it is prevalent in Scotland and in parts of England.

Corbyn as leader is representing not only the people who voted him in but the system he has willingly accepted as part and parcel of his role in governing and selling the UK.  Is it not hypercritical to swear allegiance to the queen but not sing the national anthem.

There are many reasons the UK is in the state it's in but less national pride is not it. Can you actually put a reason forward for that bold claim?

I would bet nearly anything I own that there is no civil war in England within the next 10 years. What absolute rubbish. There wasn't a civil war in England previously during the Troubles and there won't be now should Northern Ireland descend in to violence again.

It is not hypocritical to not sing the national anthem, he's an atheist. Or do you also expect him to be going to Anglican church services each Sunday as that is the official religion of this country? Tub-thumping sensationalism over a very small, insignificant matter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 334
ska face
September 18, 2015, 10:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Marinerz93

Aren't you a grown man? As in a fully functioning adult? And you honestly hold that view?

God help us.

flipping national pride indeed.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 334
LH
September 18, 2015, 10:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,527
Gold Stars: 173
I think Corbyn was representing a lot of people who feel unequal which is what he's building himself on.  I don't agree with everything he believes but I commend him for sticking to his beliefs. We need more honest politicians. The national anthem is dogshite for non-christians and republicans/those who couldn't give two shits about the monarchy.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 334
34 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jeremy Corbyn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.