Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 31,251 views. Print
42 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
February 19, 2024, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
By any reasonable assessment,  the manager has delivered a series of very poor results.  Poor performers in most companies get the sack (he can’t be moved sideways).  We would not know if warnings had been issued about the consequences of not improving.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 290 - 412
lew chaterleys lover
February 19, 2024, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MarinerMal

Nobody has been 'done up like a kipper' here. Things just don't seem to have worked out here (at least, yet) and that happens in football all the time. The owners want to play certain brand of football and DA had achieved promotion from this division in the recent past so on paper seemed a good fit. I don't remember too many fans at the time calling it a bad appointment.

Looking at the stats from some of our recent games suggest we haven't been as bad as some have made out (Donny scored 5 goals with 4 shots on target on Saturday) but it is a results driven business and results have been shocking, there is no way of getting away from that. But it shows the fine lines in football and no appointment, especially at this level, is ever guaranteed.

I meant purely about the contract if they haven't mitigated having to pay his salary if he sacked within say 6months. I'm sure they been astute enough though.

On the playing side we will just have to see how it pans out.
Private Message
Reply: 291 - 412
out of town
February 19, 2024, 2:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
I think the question is, can he turn it around?

We’ve conceded 19 in 4 home games. Even with managers who’ve struggled before, there was (not always) always the slight hope we could get back on track. Our performances are getting worse and worse and we’re consistently getting battered at home. After getting that goal back against Doncaster and going into half time on top, a good manager would have had the players flying out the blocks in that second half. Instead they looked like they’d rather be anywhere else than on the pitch.

It’s blatantly obvious that he’s lost the players, as well as the fans. I just don’t see how he can turn this around at this point. He has to go to give us any chance of staying up. We can’t rely on Sutton and FGR being worse than us.

Not only would dropping out the league again be disastrous financially, I think we’d struggle to sell 3000 season tickets. The last time we went down, we had the new owners bounce and we were allowed back to games after Covid. There would be none of that optimism this time.

These are incredibly worrying times for the club. Sacking artell will be expensive, yes, but the alternative would be far more costly and damaging.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 292 - 412
GrimPol
February 19, 2024, 2:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Surely there's no chance we have to pay any manager sacked the full remaining salary in this case best part of 2.5 years..I would expect any business to have protected against this outcome with maybe a 6 month payoff or similar..

If we haven't that would be crazy and I'm sure DA wasn't so much in demand that he would have been afforded that..

A contract is a contract, and it's legally binding. Unless DA "misbehaves" then sacking him means end of-contract payout.
There could be caveats of course. I.e. GTFC could have written in that relegation breaks the contract, which doesn't help now.
Now DA might get a lot of stick from the fans and leave by "mutual consent", which could be a money saver from GTFC's and face saver/clear the toxic atmosphere from DA's point of view.

JS's Tweets are not working, indeed they are probably counterproductive. His best bet is to have a chat with DA and just tell him to forget a long-term approach and win some points very very ugly if need be. Then get on the Mariners TV and placate the fans that yes we have wobbled, and he and the manager have come up with this master plan until the end of the season. Don't let on that a couple of buses will be parked in the goal mouth but just get some points. FGR and Sutton have up to now been very good to us, but FGR have probably smelt our fear, and it might just galvanise them. I mean if you were a FGR fan and looked at GTFC you would see hope wouldn't you.?
And whilst we are at it, Cartwright is shot. He doesn't now want to leave the 6-yard box to pick up easy loose balls, never mind tougher calls, shipping all those goals has broken him, and not all his fault either, but there you are. It would be kindness to bench him.
I just pray we get something out of the Morecambe match, and FGR and Sutton get stuffed.    UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 293 - 412
Poojah
February 19, 2024, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from Maringer
I certainly agree that we've deserved to lose the games, but I think the recent scorelines have been a bit more startling than they might normally have been, especially as League Two footballers don't tend to be quite this clinical with their finishing. Absolutely no mucking around from Donny at the weekend - every shot tucked away nicely with only one of them that our keeper might have done anything about.

The Walsall game started it all off. I left the ground thinking we hadn't been all that bad (and we were decent for much of the first half), yet we'd got absolutely battered on the scoreboard. A game where they scored with almost every shot on target, one of many.

I think it is only partially down to the fact that we've played poorly at times. It has coincided with a spell where the opposition are slotting away almost every chance they create (or are given by our crap midfield and defence).

Not claiming the team is due any leeway here, however. You can't concede 4 goals a game and expect to get anything.

I think the first two goals on Saturday are really indicative of the problem. It was apparent in real time, but looking back at the highlights in the build up to the first goal we have at least 6 opportunities to stop the Doncaster move, either by making an interception, a tackle, a block or by committing a simple foul. None were taken - it’s all powderpuff stuff. To determination, no grit, no aggression.

The second goal actually starts from our own attack. Clifton misplaces a simple 6-yard pass under no real pressure, Andrews makes a half-hearted attempt to regain possession (and fails), Green comfortably loses a 50/50 with their midfielder, Smith completely shíts out of a challenge with Adelakun and in fact fails to make any contact with the ball or the player whatsoever, no one puts a challenge on Adelakun until he’s already put the ball into the box and Molyneux beats Maher to the ball to stick the ball over Cartwright, who stays fixed to the ground when the shot was in possible saveable reach.

This is all within the first 7 minutes when tiredness cannot be an excuse. 12 or 13 individual battles in those two goals alone, and we lost each and every one of them, when winning just a single one would have been sufficient to prevent the goal.

It’s a combination of the defensive system the players are being asked to play and poor decision making by gutless players.

This is easily forgotten now, but Town were probably the better side for 30 minutes of the first 45, it was almost the Walsall first-half in reverse. We were in the game at half-time, but then we just make the same mistakes all over again, and then we simply capitulate.

It’s not rocket science. We have short spells in games where we look ok, because I do believe deep down there is a team in there - at least a team capable of avoiding relegation. But until we begin to defend like a professional football team and back that up with some testosterone, we are on a fúcking hiding to nothing.

Do I think Artell will solve any of that between now and Morecambe? No, I don’t.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 294 - 412
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 2:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,492
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from out of town
I think the question is, can he turn it around?

We’ve conceded 19 in 4 home games. Even with managers who’ve struggled before, there was (not always) always the slight hope we could get back on track. Our performances are getting worse and worse and we’re consistently getting battered at home. After getting that goal back against Doncaster and going into half time on top, a good manager would have had the players flying out the blocks in that second half. Instead they looked like they’d rather be anywhere else than on the pitch.

It’s blatantly obvious that he’s lost the players, as well as the fans. I just don’t see how he can turn this around at this point. He has to go to give us any chance of staying up. We can’t rely on Sutton and FGR being worse than us.

Not only would dropping out the league again be disastrous financially, I think we’d struggle to sell 3000 season tickets. The last time we went down, we had the new owners bounce and we were allowed back to games after Covid. There would be none of that optimism this time.

These are incredibly worrying times for the club. Sacking artell will be expensive, yes, but the alternative would be far more costly and damaging.

Considering his disastrous recruitment at Crewe it would make me shudder giving him a full summer to replace 15-20 players even if we scrape staying up .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 295 - 412
louth_in_the_south
February 19, 2024, 2:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
His position is untenable. It’s as simple as that . He has to go , it’s absolutely unbelievable he hasn’t been sacked already.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 296 - 412
Poojah
February 19, 2024, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
His position is untenable. It’s as simple as that . He has to go , it’s absolutely unbelievable he hasn’t been sacked already.

Can’t argue with any of that. I suppose there’s the possibility that there’s some red tape to sort out in order to do so, but I think Stockwood’s tweet yesterday suggests that’s unlikely.

Certainly some questions to be answered in time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 297 - 412
davmariner
February 19, 2024, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I was thinking about this this morning. We lost 5-1 at home to our relegation and local rivals Doncaster. That in itself a major, major intercourse up that I don’t think he can come back from.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 298 - 412
MarinerMal
February 19, 2024, 2:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from arryarryarry
"we haven't been as bad as some made out"

Have you been to the games?

We've been garbage.

That was quoted massively out of context. Do you have a background in journalism by any chance  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 299 - 412
42 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.