Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 30,876 views. Print
42 Pages Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 Next All Recommend Thread
Yoda
February 20, 2024, 2:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
I thought Bignott was ok i remember Hartlepool away we were terrific.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 370 - 412
Son of Cod
February 20, 2024, 2:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from trickeymickey

As I have pointed out before;- The system at the Alex was decades long before Artell became part of it.  He didnt play any part in setting it up and just filled a spot that was always there.  He was only there five minutes and the system functioned with him or without him.  None of the young players owe much to him as they were schooled by others.  When the new batch are not quite ready the Alex slide downwards and everyone involved accepts that.  He got the sack because when the youngsters werent ready his external recruitment was crap.  You lads know exactly what that's like.
I dont think he's any good at recruitment and from your comments on here I dont think you lads are prepared to wait six years to get a sophisticated youth system in place.  I understand that you may be back in NL by then so it would be preferable to set up a youth system from a higher position in the league. I would feel just like you do if it was the Alex. Ironically when Crewe started the youth system they were 20th and managed to cling on to League status until it bore fruit.
I still think you can stay up.  And I hope you do.  FGR and Sutton have to catch you and if you can scrap for a few points and survive who cares about the manner it is achieved?

Quoted from davmariner

Interesting post, and something which should have been clear to the owners at the point of due diligence.

Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
The more I hear about DA and what his backstory was at Crewe makes me wonder what the owners were looking for.. doesn't really fit the criteria I would have thought we wanted and the squad we have in place..

Quoted from arryarryarry

Exactly.

If the worst happens and we do get relegated then the board as one should fully explain how they came to the conclusion to give DA the position as Head Coach and did they go into the finer details of why he achieved success by getting Crewe promoted and then relegated in one of their worst ever seasons.

Were they blindsided by his desire to play this out from the back football and completely missed his mishandling of their relegation season?

If only someone had mentioned this months ago...

Jason, Andrew...I await your call.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1698511987/s-1670/#num1673
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 371 - 412
February 20, 2024, 5:40pm
Guest User
Was the plan to implement the new football model and stay up?
Reply: 372 - 412
MuddyWaters
February 20, 2024, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 141325
Was the plan to implement the new football model and stay up?

It wasn't one of Baldrick's most cunning plans.
Private Message
Reply: 373 - 412
pizzzza
February 20, 2024, 6:49pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Son of Cod

If only someone had mentioned this months ago...

Jason, Andrew...I await your call.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1698511987/s-1670/#num1673

Do you want a medal?
Private Message
Reply: 374 - 412
Son of Cod
February 20, 2024, 6:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pizzzza

Do you want a medal?

A snidey retort from a grown up online with 4 zs in their username is the only sort of medal I'm interested in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 375 - 412
Yoda
February 21, 2024, 8:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
One thing for sure JS and AP have got a massive job on their hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 376 - 412
Meza
February 21, 2024, 9:22pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,640
Gold Stars: 50
I’m a bit confused about this thread.  Why are some having a go at the owners I don’t think in my eyes they have done anything wrong.  The manager appointment is always a bit of a lottery and even they wouldn’t have known for things to turn out a bit crap.  They have stated since day one that they want the club to be self sufficient so when they move on the club won’t be in a crap position when handing it over.  Take for instance the training ground maybe it’s taking a while because they aren’t paying for it out their own pocket but from ticket sales and players sold (JF would have put this on a benign loan).  I think they had done well considering how much they had to deal with since coming in.  Sacking PH was not something they took lightly and probably wanted PH to turn it around and maybe gave him more time despite the data, but fan pressure probably did it for PH.    

Am I the only one on here that thinks they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.  I certainly don’t blame them for the position at present.  They have done more for this club than JF ever did.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 377 - 412
GrimPol
February 22, 2024, 10:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Meza
I’m a bit confused about this thread.  Why are some having a go at the owners I don’t think in my eyes they have done anything wrong.  The manager appointment is always a bit of a lottery and even they wouldn’t have known for things to turn out a bit crap.  They have stated since day one that they want the club to be self sufficient so when they move on the club won’t be in a crap position when handing it over.  Take for instance the training ground maybe it’s taking a while because they aren’t paying for it out their own pocket but from ticket sales and players sold (JF would have put this on a benign loan).  I think they had done well considering how much they had to deal with since coming in.  Sacking PH was not something they took lightly and probably wanted PH to turn it around and maybe gave him more time despite the data, but fan pressure probably did it for PH.    

Am I the only one on here that thinks they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.  I certainly don’t blame them for the position at present.  They have done more for this club than JF ever did.

Don't be confused, being better than JF isn't great shakes. Everybody wanted PH to succeed, as it meant Town succeeded. They brought in an unknown DA, who I and others wanted to succeed and we end up like we are. Who brought in 21st group? Who brought in Technical Advisor Gareth Jennings, who allowed PH to stay?, who employed DA? Who designed this mess?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 378 - 412
Maringer
February 22, 2024, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Meza

I suspect it is just an extension of the 'anti-data' thread(s). "What did the Romans (data) ever do for us", etc etc.

The owners are advocates of a data-led approach and therefore are considered entirely to blame, for some reason or other.

On that note, I'm an advocate of analysing data correctly in all areas of life (we wouldn't have civilisation without it), but I do wonder if there is a situation where the use of data in the lower divisions shouldn't be given as much attention as at higher levels? In the top couple of divisions, the players tend to be able to control even difficult balls on 9 out of 10 occasions and are probably accurate for more than 95 out of 100 basic passes. If the 'data' assumes every player can do the basics pretty much all of the time, the data they are going to be looking at will be from other aspects of play. Unfortunately, I don't think that our players control the ball on 9 out of 10 occasions and I'd had to even guess what their completion ratio for even simple passes might be. Might explain why the 'data' hasn't led us to sign players who are struggling to impose themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 379 - 412
42 Pages Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.